Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,919 members, 7,814,094 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" (15258 Views)

Mubarak Sanyaolu: Parents Of Lagos Boy Killed By Stray Bullet Welcome Twins / Meet Parents Of Boy In Calm Down Viral Video (photos) / Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by feltonedward86: 12:50pm On Apr 17
Good morning
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by viodemus: 1:00pm On Apr 17
no be lie o.
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Eriggs: 1:01pm On Apr 17
Good one
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by papagiddy(m): 1:02pm On Apr 17
My wife needs read this ooo coz she thinks am too hard on them..infact I have to add flogging with small cane now sef...
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Freedomfsl: 1:02pm On Apr 17
With the entitled, disrespectful and lazy shitheads I see around, I'm happy my bloodline ends with me cool

The society is a reflection of the home and we know that has failed too.
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:03pm On Apr 17
A4alpha:
Well articulate
100% on POINT
9999.99% articulate apart from this one below...

8. You don't want them to suffer like you did as a child
....and what is bad in that?
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by NairalandGOAT1: 1:06pm On Apr 17
Ask4bigneyo:
MOST PARENTS OF TODAY ARE RAISING AN "OVERDEPENDENT GENERATION"

Unfortunately most boys and girls of this generation don't even know 10% of these things you mentioned up there themselves so how do they imbibe it in their children?

The ladies are even worse!

Back then, the mothers were the forerunners of the home! They make sure they teach you homegrown basic manners and discipline, home and body hygiene not forgetting kitchen economics and hygiene.

You can't give what you don't have!

3 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by lexy2014: 1:07pm On Apr 17
Promismike:
The number of dependents generation is increasing because of the high unemployment rate in the country.

If the government can provide an enabling environment for entrepreneurship. The number of dependents and unemployment will fall to its smàllest minimum.

is that the reason why some parents do house chores for their kids, lie for them and cheat for them during exams?

2 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by DeJoeee(m): 1:09pm On Apr 17
At age of 16, I personally registered my jamb, Jamb posted me to one interior community in the days of hand written jamb, I went there myself, Did the university registration and everything myself. Sometimes when I hear my colleagues back then talk about how their parents did this or that during school days, I will just be listening with nothing to contribute.

CharleyBright:
True.
I was badly flogged and wounded once or twice in school by some idiotic and barbaric teachers while growing up. My parents didn't protect me enough because I was in a public school.
I am trying to protect my children from such barbaric teachers that's why i put them in private school. I won't stand for that while I am paying so much monies in private school for my children. Why nah, the teacher chop craze?

My two children will be writing JAMB next week. They have different centers.
I will have to leave my work and take one to the centre and stay all through, while my wife will have to leave her work to do same for the other person. Simply because we don't trust their safety if they go alone.
But honestly, these are dangerous times. Era of innocence is gone. Abuja is no longer safe. It is better and safer to over protect our children than to have them fall into hands of kidnappers and be called to be millions in ransom.
Better to drive them to school and drive and pick them back safely. They have become lazy and over dependent, that's okay, but make we do our responsibility to protect them as parents first.
May God grant us grace.

2 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by wwwtortoise(m): 1:10pm On Apr 17
obinna58:
It’s a cycle
Hard times creates strong men
Strong men creates good times
Good times creates weak men
Weak men refreshes it all over again by creating hard times

Just like earth orbits the sun 365days, 6hours and 9minutes.

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by winner37(m): 1:10pm On Apr 17
Absolutely correct....I love reading like this.
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by deanoffaculty: 1:17pm On Apr 17
Ask4bigneyo:
MOST PARENTS OF TODAY ARE RAISING AN "OVERDEPENDENT GENERATION"

1. You cook their food for them so that they can read and enjoy.

2. You help them to wash their clothes and tidy their rooms.

3. You drop them off in school every day by yourself!

4. You lie on their behalf to get them out of trouble.

5. You arrange "expo" to help them pass their exams.

6. You protect them from every danger and difficulties.

7. You prevent them from any form of pain and suffering.

8. You don't want them to suffer like you did as a child.

9. You hustle around while they watch films and play games.

10. They can't go out alone because you're always scared.

11. You take every decision for them, because you're wiser.

12. You go to their schools to fight for them and prove rights.

13. You defend them even when they're wrong and at fault.

14. You can not stand seeing them starve or go hungry for once.

15. You fight against those who try to correct them.

I PITY YOU

.....YOU ARE BUSY RAISING AN OVER- DEPENDENT GENERATION.

You think you are showing them LOVE ?

SORRY, YOU'RE WRONG!!!!

By the time you're no longer there and they face real life challenges, they will become helpless !!!

At that stage, they will realise the havoc you have done to them and CURSE YOU !!!

STOP RAISING AN OVER-DEPENDENT GENERATION!!!

Allow these children to face realities of life !!!

Be careful !!!

Raising Responsible Children

1. Give your children age-appropriate domestic tasks, even if you have a thousand and one domestic servants at home. It is sheer ignorance to think that doing everything for your children is a mark of honour or a way of bequeathing royalty on them.

2. Teach them to be useful and make their impact felt positively wherever they are found – in the school, place of worship, in another person’s home, etc.

3. Encourage your children to always leave a good impression wherever they go to; teach them to be courteous, respectful, friendly, cheerful and helpful.

4. Teach them good toilet manners – they must know how to keep the toilet neat for the next user, let them know that it is unacceptable to leave the bathroom floor and/or walls messed with soap, foam or any form dirt after bathing.

5. Teach your children the importance of taking good care of their body and their environment; whether they are at home or elsewhere. Remind them that responsible people don’t leave their rooms unkempt or their bed unmade when they get up in the morning; teach them to bath very well and smell fine always. It is unbearable to have a smelly young person around you; let them take care of their armpits, teeth, hair, nail, etc.

6. Teach your children to manage their used clothes and other personal belongings very well, whether in their home or elsewhere. It can be irritating to have dirty clothes or shoes, especially those of a visitor litter every corner of the house.

7. Let them pack their toiletries before leaving home. Your children should not depend on their hosts for their basic toiletries like soap, cream, tooth paste and other essentials.

8. Teach your children to dress well all the time, especially when they are spending time with another family. You probably allow your daughters to dress in bum shots and your sons to walk about with their chest bare in your home, but they may not be safe if they do so in another place. You may not know where a predator would lie in wait for a child.

9. Teach them good table manners; not the one recited in nursery schools rhymes. Teach them to chew with their mouth covered, not to make noise with the cutlery on their teeth, not to talk with their mouth full, etc.

10. Let your children know that washing only their own plates after eating is not a noble idea.

11. Remind your children that jumping into a conversation when adults are talking is a sign of being ill-mannered. Discourage this both in your home and elsewhere.

12. Help your children not to be social birds online and anti-social bugs offline. They should relate well with people around them, much more than they do with virtual folks they meet online. Please, discourage this idea of young people locking themselves in the room hours on end without communicating with anyone in the house – all because they are on phone.

13. Empower your children to uphold your family values wherever they are. But before then, make sure that your family values are credible, empowering, socially and morally beneficial.

14. Teach your children to control their appetite and learn to turn down certain offers, even when such offers come from people they know. And at home, it is not compulsory that they must taste everything they see someone eating. This will help them to take their eyes away from certain things when they are in other people’s home.

15. Always remind your children that they are the window through which the world sees you. If your children’s behavior outside is bad, the general consensus is that they lack home training. And since children are not meant to give themselves home training, it means that you failed as a parent.

16. Finally, make sure your children know God. Salvation is not hereditary; that you are godly or highly spiritual is not a guarantee that your children are saved. You must consciously and deliberately lead them to God

My fellow parents, let us try our best to make sure these children represent us well. I am sure you will feel good if you come to your children’s school and people are pointing at you as the parent of the best behaved child in the school. Won’t you?

THE SCHOOL OR TEACHERS CAN'T GIVE THEM ALL!

MAY GOD ALMIGHTY MAKE OUR CHILDREN RESPONSIBLE AND SUCCESSFUL!!
Nice one!!

Honestly, this is the more reason I prefer olden days parenting to this modern one .

Parenting has lost it's value and raising moral children is declining, deteriorating and fading like desert gunshot.
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Goldbw122(m): 1:24pm On Apr 17
SETHARTHUR:
They are preparing for the AI deep learning age where by Al will take over humans.

That is the future, where everyone will relax and robot takes over all..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by bigiyaro(m): 1:24pm On Apr 17
Africans..... always claiming guru in raising well rounded, mentally, socially and spiritually healthy kids, yet Africa remains a shit hole society where life is short and brutal, full of yahoo boys, thieving parents( especially the ones in public offices) if your father or mother is a uniformed personal or a civil servant or a politician, your parents are thieves. It's high time Africans adopt the way white men raise their kids, maybe the continent might better and blacks will stop trekking across seas and deserts to go slave in a better society ( which is as a result of raising better kids into better adults.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by lagabush(m): 1:26pm On Apr 17
CharleyBright:
True.
I was badly flogged and wounded once or twice in school by some idiotic and barbaric teachers while growing up. My parents didn't protect me enough because I was in a public school.
I am trying to protect my children from such barbaric teachers that's why i put them in private school. I won't stand for that while I am paying so much monies in private school for my children. Why nah, the teacher chop craze?

I will have to leave my work and take one to the centre and stay all through, while my wife will have to leave her work to do same for the other person. Simply because we don't trust their safety if they go alone.
But honestly, these are dangerous times. Era of innocence is gone. Abuja is no longer safe. It is better and safer to over protect our children than to have them fall into hands of kidnappers and be called to be millions in ransom.
Better to drive them to school and drive and pick them back safely. They have become lazy and over dependent, that's okay, but make we do our responsibility to protect them as parents first.
May God grant us grace.

You taken them to exam center makes dem safe. Kidnappers can't kidnap u and your kids. If a secondary school graduate can't go to jamb center on their own, the freedom you took away from them when they gain admission u will know the consequences of Ur action.
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by ukaface(f): 1:27pm On Apr 17
CharleyBright:
True.

May God grant us grace.
Will you be with them in university, dropping and picking them from lectures?

Just an innocent question I ask o sir.thank you

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Solofresh2: 1:27pm On Apr 17
Well your points are for the rich kids sha
As I dey like this, na me dey provide for my parents and my younger ones.Your write up will be applied to my kids because I don't want them to suffer

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Honestey: 1:33pm On Apr 17
It's really not about not wanting your children to struggle at all. But does struggles in this country guarantee success?
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by lagabush(m): 1:34pm On Apr 17
bigiyaro:
Africans..... always claiming guru in raising well rounded, mentally, socially and spiritually healthy kids, yet Africa remains a shit hole society where life is short and brutal, full of yahoo boys, thieving parents( especially the ones in public offices) if your father or mother is a uniformed personal or a civil servant or a politician, your parents are thieves. It's high time Africans adopt the way white men raise their kids, maybe the continent might better and blacks will stop trekking across seas and deserts to go slave in a better society ( which is as a result of raising better kids into better adults.

Pls can't you explain how they ( better country )raise their children that makes that in turns makes them great. The greatness u see in developed country were d works of well trained kids of those days with proper mentoring into the channel of development ideology not these days. Majority of goods one raised in developed country are still well trained and mentored many of them u see in a best schools with Innovation mentality, the larger percent are over dependant children who complain their parent did not give to them everything.
Let burst your brain. Majority of their workforce are foreigners and their own only rely on benefit,
I pray you travel there u will see it Ur self.

2 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by thedio(m): 1:43pm On Apr 17
I think we r all guilty thou at diff level and degrees. We r spoiling these kids in the name of,I don't want them to suffer the way I did.

Also we don't want them to see us as wicked old man just like the way many of us see our pale then.

Thou it our responsibility to protect and care for them but we should teach them to stand up for themselves especially the first kids.
An entitled kid may not be able up for him/herself in a difficult time, especially when we r not there.

I think this is one of the reasons the oyinbo kid alway cry depression over a matter we used to joke. Many of them r even lazy to the extent of finding it difficult to work for 8hrs.

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by lavylilly: 1:53pm On Apr 17
Why must they suffer @ number 8. Let's not equate suffering with difficulty. That something is difficult doesn't mean it's suffering. That they are born in an environment like Nigeria is already a difficult situation, a lot of them are suffering in thia country and are braving it as much as they can
@10. Anyone who has ever experienced Boko haram or kidnapping, you should be scared. We live in unsafe environment. Don't blame anyone
Aside fasting, why will you be okay for your kids to starve or go hungry unnecessarily? Are they under punishment? Some points are valid while some are poverty speaking. The parents writing this too should allow the kids ask them questions. No one is without flaws. We're all pushing and surviving how we can. Kids and parents alike

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by bigiyaro(m): 1:55pm On Apr 17
lagabush:

Pls can't you explain how they ( better country )raise their children that makes that in turns makes them great. The greatness u see in developed country were d works of well trained kids of those days with proper mentoring into the channel of development ideology not these days. Majority of goods one raised in developed country are still well trained and mentored many of them u see in a best schools with Innovation mentality, the larger percent are over dependant children who complain their parent did not give to them everything.
Let burst your brain. Majority of their workforce are foreigners and their own only rely on benefit,
I pray you travel there u will see it Ur self.
why the hell will well brought up kids risk everything to go work for ill brought up kids? As far as my little brain is concerned, their society is better cos they raised better kids. I will believe that Africans raise better kids when white men starts trekking through hell and high water just to come work for us.
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Tommydare(m): 2:14pm On Apr 17
She when they enter uni, you go comot your work place go stay with one, and your wife go and stay with the other. Or betterstill, una go employ lecturers to
be taking them home lectures. Una think say na una dey protect them?
CharleyBright:
True.

May God grant us grace.
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Freshboi316(m): 2:15pm On Apr 17
They are raising rubbish even my daughter dey among them, mother na zero.. I keep telling her but I'm the bad father.

3 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Desusi: 2:15pm On Apr 17
Your write up is one of the best ever read thread since l have been visiting this site.Great thanks. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by CodeTemplar: 2:18pm On Apr 17
Fake life.
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 2:27pm On Apr 17
Hello grin grin

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times" – G. Michael Hopf.

Hahahaha 😂
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Judolisco(m): 2:29pm On Apr 17
Na poverty dey make una dey talk dis way.... So because say I trek go sch make my pikin 2 start dey trek go sch? It's important to teach dem basics of life, my dad even though we were not poor always took us to d farm on weekends and on holidays.....let them wash their uniforms and plates, sweep d house... But on taking them to sch there's nothing wrong with that

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by CharleyBright(m): 2:29pm On Apr 17
ukaface:

Will you be with them in university, dropping and picking them from lectures?

Just an innocent question I ask o sir.thank you

I am not the only one here on this.
Lots of parents do same here.
Na so we see am. Parents are going extra miles to do these things for their children.
If I will remember, I will take photos of parents that will carry their children come write Jamb on Saturday.
I thank God that one thing I have never done and will never do is to arrange or do exam malpractice for my children. They are academically brilliant and don't partake in cheating.
But to protect them from the evil society we are now, ... That we must do.
It is well.

2 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Pitssbull: 2:37pm On Apr 17
Invaluable
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by MEGAWATCH: 2:38pm On Apr 17
femtex007:
I really wish I could raise my children the way I was raised. I would have so much loved it. But they will see it as if their father didn't like them. Now I do what I don't support just because people are doing it
I pray the upcoming generation will be able to stand on their own. I really pray

You do because people are doing that, just listen to yourself?

I don't care about people, I've made my children to realize that what I'm doing now, they will thank me later, infact they have already started seeing it.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

25 Year Old Guy Impregnates His Mum In Abuja! / My Wife Is Dating 8 Men, Fights Me With Knife, Broken Bottles - Husband Reveals / Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.