Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" (15253 Views)

Mubarak Sanyaolu: Parents Of Lagos Boy Killed By Stray Bullet Welcome Twins / Meet Parents Of Boy In Calm Down Viral Video (photos) / Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Akinpresident: 2:41pm On Apr 17
Kids raised like this usually have suicide as their only option as an escape of real life challenge because they're not built for challenges.
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by neutralmind: 3:15pm On Apr 17
True
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Kobojunkie: 3:20pm On Apr 17
Hezzyluv:
Too 2ru, but some of your points are debatable. When my dad was using iron hand to handle us (his children), naive me never envisaged he had seen the challenges that betide me and was shaping me for the future but I was seeing him as a sadist. cry Today, the reality is done on me and it's God's grace and Dad's tutelage that keeps me going through these huddles.
Stop that nonsense. There are children all the world over who were not handled with iron rods yet turned out good citizens at the end of the day. God has absolutely nothing to do with the decision taken by your father at all, and no, he was not right at all. undecided

Anyways, I do not believe OP is calling for parents to use iron rods on their children. lipsrsealed
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Kobojunkie: 3:23pm On Apr 17
easyfem:
Who is cooking for who ? All the listed are for toddler abeg …. Look for another story
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by pseudaria: 3:58pm On Apr 17
obinna58:
It’s a cycle
Hard times creates strong men
Strong men creates good times
Good times creates weak men
Weak men refreshes it all over again by creating hard times

Point me to the good times in Nigger-area

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by BigBizzy(m): 4:00pm On Apr 17
You wey your parents raise and independent...wetin you dey do for nairaland?
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by pseudaria: 4:00pm On Apr 17
Akinpresident:
Kids raised like this usually have suicide as their only option as an escape of real life challenge because they're not built for challenges.

Nigeria challenges are unique because they're multigenerational with no solution except disintegration. As long as you cannot escape it's better to commit suicide

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by pseudaria: 4:09pm On Apr 17
thedio:
I think we r all guilty thou at diff level and degrees. We r spoiling these kids in the name of,I don't want them to suffer the way I did.

Also we don't want them to see us as wicked old man just like the way many of us see our pale then.

Thou it our responsibility to protect and care for them but we should teach them to stand up for themselves especially the first kids.
An entitled kid may not be able up for him/herself in a difficult time, especially when we r not there.

I think this is one of the reasons the oyinbo kid alway cry depression over a matter we used to joke. Many of them r even lazy to the extent of finding it difficult to work for 8hrs.
The difference remains they built a developed society why you couldn't. Maybe you should learn from them instead of trying to praise your society that produces leaders who steal your wealth pastors who would rather worship at the altar of money and political power than speak truth like Elijah, police who derive pleasure in oppressing innocent masses, judges who are eager to take bribes to bend the truth and traditional rulers who would rather give yahoo boys and drug dealers chieftaincy titles before considering that teacher who has spent 30yrs labouring in the community school. There is nothing about the Nigerian society that is worth emulating.

3 Likes

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by sulakishop(m): 4:40pm On Apr 17
God bless the op
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by thedio(m): 4:42pm On Apr 17
pseudaria:

The difference remains they built a developed society why you couldn't. Maybe you should learn from them instead of trying to praise your society that produces leaders who steal your wealth pastors who would rather worship at the altar of money and political power than speak truth like Elijah, police who derive pleasure in oppressing innocent masses, judges who are eager to take bribes to bend the truth and traditional rulers who would rather give yahoo boys and drug dealers chieftaincy titles before considering that teacher who has spent 30yrs labouring in the community school. There is nothing about the Nigerian society that is worth emulating.

U r right but do u think their societies were built by these spoilt brat. They r basking in the old glory of their fore fathers.....wait and see how Indians,Chinese and Africans will take over the world from them.
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Kobojunkie: 4:46pm On Apr 17
thedio:
∆ U r right but do u think their societies were built by these spoilt brat. They r basking in the old glory of their fore fathers.....wait and see how Indians,Chinese and Africans will take over the world from them.
Yes, those societies were built by many of those whom you Africans like to regard as spoilt brats and ruled by them too. There is no such thing as basking in Old Glory in a society that is continually changing all the times. undecided

Indians, and even the Chinese learn from those societies to raise their children in almost the same way name of those spoilt brats were and are reaping benefits already. lipsrsealed
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by peterboro: 5:06pm On Apr 17
Come Europe, you will definitely delete this post.

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by femtex007(m): 5:52pm On Apr 17
MEGAWATCH:

You do because people are doing that, just listen to yourself?

I don't care about people, I've made my children to realize that what I'm doing now, they will thank me later, infact they have already started seeing it.

What if you are doing it in your own way and your wife is frustrating you??
It will make u look like you don't like them
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Akinpresident: 6:22pm On Apr 17
pseudaria:

Nigeria challenges are unique because they're multigenerational with no solution except disintegration. As long as you cannot escape it's better to commit suicide

I don't agree suicide is a solution to escape challenges. Assuming suicide is excusable in some situations, whatever situation it is shouldn't apply to a male. Men are built with tough essence and it's cowardice to chicken out via suicide just because you lacked the mental readiness and toughness to navigate through life chaos due to poor parenting hinged on overdependence.

I'm just waiting for the day someone I know personally will attempt the suicide nonsense, the kind of beating he'll collect from me that day, he'll regret ever thinking about it.
But I pray someone close to me never get to such point where suicide is an option for them. Tufia!

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by CaptainFM1: 6:48pm On Apr 17
You never see anything, even the gen Z parents have also raised artificial intelligence and robots for Gen Alpha. Gen Alpha are already brainstorming on what to bequeath to make Gen Beta super lazy!

The dropping of the ball didn't start now. It's a cascading and domino effect.

The correction to this anomaly is found in Proverbs 13:24! We need to bring back the stick, koboko, belts, taperule, hot slap, head konking et al.
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by MEGAWATCH: 6:53pm On Apr 17
femtex007:

What if you are doing it in your own way and your wife is frustrating you??
It will make u look like you don't like them

My brother, women most times doesn't know the way.....God has given the man the sense, power and ability to have understanding on how his family and generation will look like.

So please don't allow any woman be her your wife, sister or mother to derail you.

Be a man and do what you feel will be good for your children and their future.

Don't be that Man that will regret in future for not teaching your children to be strong and do what is right.

A word is enough.....
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by pseudaria: 7:32pm On Apr 17
Akinpresident:

I don't agree suicide is a solution to escape challenges. Assuming suicide is excusable in some situations, whatever situation it is shouldn't apply to a male. Men are built with tough essence and it's cowardice to chicken out via suicide just because you lacked the mental readiness and toughness to navigate through life chaos due to poor parenting hinged on overdependence.

I'm just waiting for the day someone I know personally will attempt the suicide nonsense, the kind of beating he'll collect from me that day, he'll regret ever thinking about it.
But I pray someone close to me never get to such point where suicide is an option for them. Tufia!

I think you are equating mental toughness with long-suffering which is a key characteristic of slavery. The average African negro is adept at long-suffering which is why we were able to withstand the most inhumane conditions for 3 centuries. This is a good thing. Look at what we are going through in the hands of the govt yet no resistance we just keep managing in the name of toughness. For how long
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by emmaodet: 7:36pm On Apr 17
Promismike:
The number of dependents generation is increasing because of the high unemployment rate in the country.

If the government can provide an enabling environment for entrepreneurship. The number of dependents and unemployment will fall to its smàllest minimum.

We always come down to this line..... If the government.......
Funny enough, the generation that raised us never depended on government.
Government was none existent then yet they trained us to where we are today just for us to have failed them with government should ....
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Akinpresident: 7:37pm On Apr 17
pseudaria:

I think you are equating mental toughness with long-suffering which is a key characteristic of slavery. The average African negro is adept at long-suffering which is why we were able to withstand the most inhumane conditions for 3 centuries. This is a good thing. Look at what we are going through in the hands of the govt yet no resistance we just keep managing in the name of toughness. For how long

It takes mental toughness for one to be long-suffering. And yes, such trait isn't for slaves. It's for people with a mission and will fight through anything to fulfill their objective or mission.
If we had leaders with such trait, we wouldn't be at this level. Because they'd have always done the right thing no matter whose ox is gored. But no, it's chicken hearted pussies that oversees everything and they don't have any will of their own.
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Truvelisback(m): 7:41pm On Apr 17
As for No 8, i no gree. I don't wish my children to suffer what i suffer.

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by emmaodet: 7:50pm On Apr 17
femtex007:
I really wish I could raise my children the way I was raised. I would have so much loved it. But they will see it as if their father didn't like them. Now I do what I don't support just because people are doing it
I pray the upcoming generation will be able to stand on their own. I really pray

Reason why there are so many baby adults in today's world.
Many youths of today are nothing but economic burden to the family and country at large.
In the absence of a good job with fat pay or japa, they are virtually useless.
I warned my mum years back not to be over protective of my younger ones but they all thought I am a man with low thinking and low taste.
My own is not more than hustle, take up that low paying job or hustle no matter what.
Rather than being jobless why not go learn barbing or mechanic or just follow tipper or be a truck boy or follow timber cutters in the bush or just foocking do anything and don't be idle and lazying around.
Just do something.
Noooooo... Why will I be suggesting such useless jobs or work.
How can I even think like that or towards that direction.
I am too shallow
Low thinking blah blah blah
Now, mama is gone, no more protection.
She surfferred, I surfferred with her being the first born but not I really appreciate it because it shaped my mentality Andi can hustle and stand on my own.
Due to the hardship, she over protected the other ones from it when things started getting better. She doesn't want them to surffer like her but in the process, they have become liabilities.
Now they are crying up and down Nigeria is not good, they need to japa.
What can you do in Nigeria in the absence of job? Nothing, I need to travel....just like programmed robots.
Okay, what can you do with 4m? What can 4m do in Nigeria of nowadays, I need to travel
Like, how can you even help these ones.
The one that followed me after wasting 5 years in Dubai is back home crying to send him to another country.
He has been working in Nigeria now and quiting
Between last year and now, 4 different jobs and quiting citing low pay jobs.
He rather prefer sitting down at home and roaming about that doing a low paying job.
The future of this present generation is scary

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by emmaodet: 7:56pm On Apr 17
femtex007:
I really wish I could raise my children the way I was raised. I would have so much loved it. But they will see it as if their father didn't like them. Now I do what I don't support just because people are doing it
I pray the upcoming generation will be able to stand on their own. I really pray

Then there is the rise in the use of drugs.
Any little hardship or frustration, they resort to taking drugs with the excuse life is hard on them and it's not easy.
The girls on the other side, resort to prostitution.
Because you don't have a job or your parent can't pay your school fees, then it is the perfect excuse for sleeping around.
You start wondering our mamas who sold palm oil, garri, farm cassava and manually process it to garri to sell in local markets just to send us to school should have been sleeping around then because they have perfect excuse for doing that.
My mother will roll in her grave if she sees what are children have become with all the things we have better than them yet more useless

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by emmaodet: 8:22pm On Apr 17
Akinpresident:

Exactly bro.
Exactly
My brother has been talking about suicide, suicide, suicide.
He became depressed, started smoking hard drugs and because kolomenta.
We had to take him to psychiatric hospital.
On top wetin? Just to face like squarely like a man? He is cared of facing life head-on, rather sobbing and crying like a bush baby.
A man ooooo not a boy ooo
A man of 35

1 Like

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Villa12(m): 9:49pm On Apr 17
MEGAWATCH:

My brother, women most times doesn't know the way.....God has given the man the sense, power and ability to have understanding on how his family and generation will look like.

So please don't allow any woman be her your wife, sister or mother to derail you.

Be a man and do what you feel will be good for your children and their future.

Don't be that Man that will regret in future for not teaching your children to be strong and do what is right.

A word is enough.....
In Nigeria today, men are more irresponsible than women. Is it not Men that has been ruling Nigeria since 1914? What has become Nigeria today if not underdeveloped. If you think your wife do not have a say in her home then I'm sorry to say that's the beginning of failure in your home. There are lots of home that i know, if not for their mothers in their lives the children would have become useless. If you don't know most married women stay put in their marriage because of their children. Even Bible and quoran do not joke with mothers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Villa12(m): 10:10pm On Apr 17
emmaodet:

We always come down to this line..... If the government.......
Funny enough, the generation that raised us never depended on government.
Government was none existent then yet they trained us to where we are today just for us to have failed them with government should ....
i think our fathers and forefathers generation enjoyed the government more than this generation. They had access to free and quality education. They got job immediately after graduation. Those who didn't go to school but learn a skill or trade were doing fine. Insecurity was very minimal or inexistence. There's nothing like Hunger. Food is never a problem then. I am not justifying this present generation. I understand this generation is nothing to write home about but when it comes to government i think our parents generation enjoyed government a bit compare to this generation.

My dad told me the enjoyment they had during their own generation only the Rich or very comfortable children had it now. Nigeria was still good then. Dollar and naira was equal. But now an average Nigerian guys are into cyber fraud popularly known as Yahoo. They now see anyone not venturing into Yahoo as a fool who will die poor. Some if not most of these guys are graduate but couldn't get a job as a result of the situation in the country. While some of them don't want to start from little. I know one that dumped a 70k job for Yahoo. A single guy in his mid 20s. Another angle you should look at this matter is that parents are in support of these guys doing Yahoo. What will you say about secondary School students already doing Yahoo and supporting the family with money? These guys had taken up responsibility in their various homes. They're now the fathers while their fathers had become children as a result of the responsibility they shoulder in their respective home.

I think this generation are not to be blame entirely. Government also had their fair share likewise their parents.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by emmaodet: 10:13pm On Apr 17
Villa12:
i think our fathers and forefathers generation enjoyed the government more than this generation. They had access to free and quality education. They got job immediately after graduation. Those who didn't go to school but learn a skill or trade were doing fine. Insecurity was very minimal or inexistence. There's nothing like Hunger. Food is never a problem then. I am not justifying this present generation. I understand this generation is nothing to write home about but when it comes to government i think our parents generation enjoyed government a bit compare to this generation.

My dad told me the enjoyment they had during their own generation only the Rich or very comfortable children had it now. Nigeria was still good then. Dollar and naira was equal. But now an average Nigerian guys are into cyber fraud popularly known as Yahoo. They now see anyone not venturing into Yahoo as a fool who will die poor. Some if not most of these guys are graduate but couldn't get a job as a result of the situation in the country. While some of them don't want to start from little. I know one that dumped a 70k job for Yahoo. A single guy in his mid 20s. Another angle you should look at this matter is that parents are in support of these guys doing Yahoo. What will you say about secondary School students already doing Yahoo and supporting the family with money? These guys had taken up responsibility in their various homes. They're now the fathers while their fathers had become children as a result of the responsibility they shoulder in their respective home.

I think this generation are not to be blame entirely. Government also had their fair share likewise their parents.

grin grin grin

That statement...the children are now the fathers while fathers children cracked me up
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Villa12(m): 10:41pm On Apr 17
emmaodet:

grin grin grin

That statement...the children are now the fathers while fathers children cracked me up
That's the truth. Some parents will even justify it by saying afterall our leaders are criminals, stealing our Commonwealth resources to buy properties and dual citizenship for themselves and families in different parts of the world.

There are many factors that led to this mess we found ourselves. It's not entirely the fault of this generation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by MEGAWATCH: 8:35am On Apr 18
Villa12:
In Nigeria today, men are more irresponsible than women. Is it not Men that has been ruling Nigeria since 1914? What has become Nigeria today if not underdeveloped. If you think your wife do not have a say in her home then I'm sorry to say that's the beginning of failure in your home. There are lots of home that i know, if not for their mothers in their lives the children would have become useless. If you don't know most married women stay put in their marriage because of their children. Even Bible and quoran do not joke with mothers.

Please go back to where this discussion started.

Nobody is undermining the place of the woman, all we are bringing up here that the man should lead and the woman should support. There should be a definite definition of what the family should look like and work like.
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by jaywon442: 10:11am On Apr 18
pseudaria:

Nigerians will never emulate this. They'll start coming for your head
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by jaywon442: 10:55am On Apr 18
emmaodet:

Reason why there are so many baby adults in today's world.
Many youths of today are nothing but economic burden to the family and country at large.
In the absence of a good job with fat pay or japa, they are virtually useless.
I warned my mum years back not to be over protective of my younger ones but they all thought I am a man with low thinking and low taste.
My own is not more than hustle, take up that low paying job or hustle no matter what.
Rather than being jobless why not go learn barbing or mechanic or just follow tipper or be a truck boy or follow timber cutters in the bush or just foocking do anything and don't be idle and lazying around.
Just do something.
Noooooo... Why will I be suggesting such useless jobs or work.
How can I even think like that or towards that direction.
I am too shallow
Low thinking blah blah blah
Now, mama is gone, no more protection.
She surfferred, I surfferred with her being the first born but not I really appreciate it because it shaped my mentality Andi can hustle and stand on my own.
Due to the hardship, she over protected the other ones from it when things started getting better. She doesn't want them to surffer like her but in the process, they have become liabilities.
Now they are crying up and down Nigeria is not good, they need to japa.
What can you do in Nigeria in the absence of job? Nothing, I need to travel....just like programmed robots.
Okay, what can you do with 4m? What can 4m do in Nigeria of nowadays, I need to travel
Like, how can you even help these ones.
The one that followed me after wasting 5 years in Dubai is back home crying to send him to another country.
He has been working in Nigeria now and quiting
Between last year and now, 4 different jobs and quiting citing low pay jobs.
He rather prefer sitting down at home and roaming about that doing a low paying job.
The future of this present generation is scary
. You're making sense but I'll add one thing. If everyone is doing what you are doing, there won't be job for you. Some other people have tried what you're doing and they have encountered countless disappointment. In many communities in Nigeria it's hard to even find that low paying job you're envisaging. You have a very good opinion but I'll say it's not all that way. If low paying jobs are easy to come by for everyone as you've mentioned the number of people complaining would have reduced. Even in well developed countries, majority of the populace are underemployed, the only difference is that you will get something doing as long as you're not lazy. You shouldn't have gone for a PhD when you know you will finally work as a nursery school teacher. This is one of the reasons higher education enrollment will continue to decline.
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by jaywon442: 11:13am On Apr 18
Villa12:
That's the truth. Some parents will even justify it by saying afterall our leaders are criminals, stealing our Commonwealth resources to buy properties and dual citizenship for themselves and families in different parts of the world.

There are many factors that led to this mess we found ourselves. It's not entirely the fault of this generation.

The biggest problem is failed parenting. Look we all know that government have failed but who are the government of not us. We are the one that produce the leaders e.g lecturers , nurse, doctor, class captain. Everyone is misbehaving. Tell me any institution especially government institutions that is functioning properly. Everyone is corrupt. Ordinary street head is corrupt. We produce the leaders of Tomorrow unfortunately, our products are bad
Re: Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" by Kobojunkie: 1:46pm On Apr 18
jaywon442:
∆ The biggest problem is failed parenting. Look we all know that government have failed but who are the government of not us. We are the one that produce the leaders e.g lecturers , nurse, doctor, class captain. Everyone is misbehaving. Tell me any institution especially government institutions that is functioning properly. Everyone is corrupt. Ordinary street head is corrupt. We produce the leaders of Tomorrow unfortunately, our products are bad
And they are mostly all products of the Nigerian parenting system which some are here to have us believe are better than what is obtainable out in the west. Tufiakwa! angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does A Woman Earning More Than The Husband Affect The Marriage? / 25 Year Old Guy Impregnates His Mum In Abuja! / My Wife Is Dating 8 Men, Fights Me With Knife, Broken Bottles - Husband Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.