Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,972 members, 7,810,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:32 PM

Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family (45765 Views)

Most Parents Of Today Are Raising An "Overdependent Generation" / Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance / Different Types Of Nigerian Fathers And Their Characteristics - Meme Collection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by xynerise: 8:14pm On Jul 18, 2020
Yes, I said so.

If you are of the school of thought that providing for the family along automatically makes you a caring father, then you are among those that
risk being irrelevant to your children.

If you look at most families today, the children hardly mention their fathers when making a reference to something inspiring. I mean quoting what your father once taught you or something positive you learnt while growing up. I am referring to fathers of our time.

Today, everything is about making money and paying the bills. That is not enough.
How close are you to your children? It is always the mother that attends to issues that trouble the children today. Even though fathers source for solutions at the end but the children will always remember the person that discovered the problems, or at least care to know what the problem is.

How often do we call our kids, sit them down and ask them about the kind of challenges they face in life?

Some fathers hardly call their children (far from home) on phone except the mother does and maybe pass the phone to him. This has made some people to call mostly their mothers on phone and explain situations to her rather than the father who provides the money to solve the situations.

You can see that despite most fathers provide the money, yet the mothers get most of the appreciation.

My point is, we shouldn't be too focus on just making the money. Let us remember we are also making a family too.

426 Likes 46 Shares

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by donstan18: 8:16pm On Jul 18, 2020
If you look at most families today, the children hardly mention their fathers when making a reference to something inspiring. I mean quoting what your father once taught you or something positive you learnt while growing up. I am referring to fathers of our time
You are referring to your father who didn't teach you anything positive, not our fathers.

xynerise:

You can ignore if your father is not among. Your dumb skull should read the title and see if you can't find "most".

Antelope
It still doesn't change the fact that your parents didn't teach you anything positive.

Below is my proof, a screenshot of your statement on this forum about them.

They failed, ruined and slowed your success, according to you.

Stop forcing our fathers To be like yours!!

212 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by xynerise: 8:28pm On Jul 18, 2020
donstan18:

You are referring to your father who didn't teach you anything positive, not our fathers.

You can ignore if your father is not among. Your dumb skull should read the title and see if you can't find "most".

Antelope

242 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by Ningen(m): 8:35pm On Jul 18, 2020
I disagree. sad

Modern age fathers are not losing relevance.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by donbachi(m): 8:36pm On Jul 18, 2020
Pressure here and there...una wan kill us?

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by swiz123(m): 8:39pm On Jul 18, 2020
I don't have a problem if kids don't regard their fathers that much probably because of his busy schedules which their tiny heads can't understand.

My real problem is when an adult still think that his father is irrelevant because he doesn't baby-sit them... like WTF!!.... Shouldn't you have outgrown that stupid mindset?..

Most men who thinks that their father is irrelevant because of your silly reason and therefore goes about asslicking their momma are the reason why most marriages are living hell for modern wives.

Most orphans at motherless homes would give everything to have someone who can provide can feed, shelter, clothe and pay their school fees. That momma's love you so much adore isn't a priority to these unfortunate children...

I don't know how old you are, but please, change your mindset from today onwards

331 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by xynerise: 8:40pm On Jul 18, 2020
donbachi:
Pressure can be shared if you marry a sensible woman

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by allen113: 8:55pm On Jul 18, 2020
nawa o

1 Like

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by GboyegaD(m): 9:23pm On Jul 18, 2020
Preach it my brother.

Most of us think value is in how much we are worth in terms of money not knowing it is more about impacts.

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by kingreign(m): 9:28pm On Jul 18, 2020
Xynerise, my brother man, you aren't far from the truth.

We have a lot of dead beat fathers in these days who's only job is to birth children then abandon the responsibility of grooming their offsprings to be properly train and responsible people.

Some weeks ago, I saw a man parked by a shopping mall, he had his son sit beside him in his car, he was busy smoking and drinking and the poor lad of no more than 4 years old was busy trying to disturb and tell his dad that smokers and drunkards will die young.

I sat in my wife's car just a car space away from them and was shaking my head in great disbelief and shame.

150 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by xynerise: 9:32pm On Jul 18, 2020
Phew! Finally, people with clear understanding are now commenting grin

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by bukatyne(f): 9:36pm On Jul 18, 2020
Nice thread.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by mariahAngel(f): 9:44pm On Jul 18, 2020
donbachi:

You no get papa? Why you no come from that angle na?
Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by mariahAngel(f): 9:45pm On Jul 18, 2020
bukatyne:
Nice thread.

No, it's not. grin

For someone to think to create this topic tells that it's coming from somewhere...either from experience growing up or...
As for me, I don't relate. undecided

8 Likes

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by bukatyne(f): 9:53pm On Jul 18, 2020
mariahAngel:

No, it's not. grin

For someone to think to create this topic tells that it's coming from somewhere...either from experience growing up or...
As for me, I don't relate. undecided

Threads are not necessarily created from personal experience, it can be created from observation or other people's experiences.

kingreign:
Xynerise, my brother man, you aren't far from the truth.

We have a lot of dead beat fathers in these days who's only job is to birth children then abandon the responsibility of grooming their offsprings to be properly train and responsible people.

Some weeks ago, I saw a man parked by a shopping mall, he had his son sit beside him in his car, he was busy smoking and drinking and the poor lad of no more than 4 years old was busy trying to disturb and tell his dad that smokers and drunkards will die young.

I sat in my wife's car just a car space away from them and was shaking my head in great disbelief and shame.

The above is an experience, he could decide to create a thread out of it.

Fathers lament alot how they are forgotten in old age. If they are pointed in the right direction of intentional parenting, the kids enjoy them growing up and the fathers are not 'neglected' in old age.

Children especially sons would also not be pressured to become pseudo-husbands for their mothers breeding terrible mother-in-laws.

A win-win for all parties.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by merieam16(f): 9:59pm On Jul 18, 2020
Some fathers er still much relevant, depending which father u want 2 become

4 Likes

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by Unnerve: 12:24am On Jul 19, 2020
I honestly can't relate with the OP personally. But going by what I see around from friends, associates, even some extended family members, I can understand your point.

My solution is that there is no definite solution, at least not in the way you suggest.

Yes fathers can do better, but at the end of the day, most children/adults will still end up being more emotionally connected to their mothers in comparison to their fathers, and it's really not because the men are/were terrible or anything of that sort.

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by ogawisdom(m): 6:10am On Jul 19, 2020
Mothers will always come before fathers so quit competing it's just natural. No one will love u more than your mother in this world.

If a father provided all your needs while growing up and paid all your school fees and the child still can't love him then he will when he grows up.

Discipline your children and provide for them, be there for them as much as time permits.

Stop trying to be a mother when u are a father.

111 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by segebobo: 7:22am On Jul 19, 2020
Fathers are still relevant. From my little observation
The man has to go out to hustle for his family to at least be comfortable. Remember, if he stays home all the time & doesn't earn a decent pay to make them comfortable, the woman can 'change it for him', he's at risk of 'see finish'. The society will excuse the woman even if she's not earning at all but not the man. Very few jobs today can afford the luxury of very decent pay & still create enough time to be with the family.
Secondly, a man needs to be firm & decisive in running his home; he disciplines the children. But there's a yoruba adage that says 'when u discipline a child with the right hand, pull him close with the left'. After correcting a child 'the African way', the child is meant to be pulled closer & shown love, counselled & mentored to make him know the reason why he was disciplined. The problem again boils down to my first point, after using the 'rod', the man stops there & goes away. The mother is the one there to bond & provide the needed emotional support for the child. This leave the child believing 'my mum loves me, dad doesn't like me afterall'

24 Likes

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by mk3jax: 10:30am On Jul 19, 2020
Boys don't appreciate their father until they become a father themselves. The man is expected to takes care of his wife, kids, in law, siblings, parent, cousins, nieces etc depending on his financial ability. You think the money to provide all those comfort will come from siting at home and forming bonding with child. Bonding with kids only works when the job allows.
If you want to know the relevance of fathers, look at homes without one and see how miserable the life of the woman and kids are most of the times. Many of the fatherless girls get pregnant very young while the boys drop from school to go and learn a trade because there is no dad to provide.
Also look at girls that dump new born babies because there is no man to provide for her and the baby. You do not know the value of a man until he either walks away or dies. My mum still misses my dad's contribution to running the home they built together even though he died 14 years ago and all her kids are grown up.

130 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 19, 2020
swiz123:
I don't have a problem if kids don't regard their fathers that much probably because of his busy schedules which their tiny heads can't understand.

My real problem is when an adult still think that his father is irrelevant because he doesn't baby-sit them... like WTF!!.... Shouldn't you have outgrown that stupid mindset?..

Most men who thinks that their father is irrelevant because of your silly reason and therefore goes about asslicking their momma are the reason why most marriages are living hell for modern wives.

Most orphans at motherless homes would give everything to have someone who can provide can feed, shelter, clothe and pay their school fees. That momma's love you so much adore isn't a priority to these unfortunate children...

I don't know how old you are, but please, change your mindset from today onwards
This cracked me up

21 Likes

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by Mindlog: 12:21pm On Jul 19, 2020
If you want your children to be actively involved in your life tomorrow, be actively. involved in theirs today. Beyond financial provisions, kids yearn for fathers with whom they can establish emotional security.

We have widows in our midst who have become sole providers, having to go out on a daily basis to hustle for their children' welfare but still create a balance that is making them bond with their children, have a listening ear, celebrate their little victories etc Fathers who also offers such alongside financial provisions, are more likely to have adult children who hold them dear to their hearts.

Being an involved father is the greatest gift one can give his child/children alongside financial provisions

89 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by TimiRume(f): 12:59pm On Jul 19, 2020
donstan18:

It still doesn't change the fact that your parents didn't teach you anything positive.

Below is my proof, a screenshot of your statement on this forum about them.

They failed, ruined and slowed your success, according to you.

Stop forcing our fathers To be like yours!!
People like you are so annoying. Everything is seen as an attack against the male gender. Even when a fact is staring you hard in the face you will still try to rationalise it as a lie.

Defensive all the time, people like you suffer from low self esteem and wish everyone was as miserable. Learn to come out boldly with your chest high up like a man and stand for whatever you believe, instead of hiding behind a female monicker all the damn time.

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by ImaIma1(f): 2:00pm On Jul 19, 2020
I disagree.

A lot of fathers in recent times make efforts to be part of their children's lives...making memories and all.

Just going to the supermarket, I see fathers with the children without the mothers. Even my husband has taken our daughter to parties I couldn't attend on his own.

Being close to your children or not is a personal thing and a choice.

I have even heard of a father who travelled to help out his daughter when she gave birth. Their mum was late and the man was quite close to his children.

The issue for some men is that they feel too big or believe they cannot bring themselves so low to do some things. Imagine going to help your daughter after she puts to bed. How many men here see themselves doing that?

49 Likes

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by xynerise: 2:11pm On Jul 19, 2020
ImaIma1:
I disagree.

A lot of fathers in recent times make efforts to be part of their children's lives...making memories and all.

Just going to the supermarket, I see fathers with the children without the mothers. Even my husband has taken our daughter to parties I couldn't attend on his own.

Being close to your children or not is a personal thing and a choice.

I have even heard of a father who travelled to help out his daughter when she gave birth. Their mum was late and the man was quite close to his children.

The issue for some men is that they feel too big or believe they cannot bring themselves so low to do some things. Imagine going to help your daughter after she puts to bed. How many men here see themselves doing that?

You still have to agree to my topic ...

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by ImaIma1(f): 2:31pm On Jul 19, 2020
xynerise:

You still have to agree to my topic ...

If you had read my comment well, you would read that I said a lot of men in recent times are making efforts.

And I said some men feel too big.

Which is the majority between a lot of and some?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 19, 2020
undecided

2 Likes

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by xynerise: 3:47pm On Jul 19, 2020
ImaIma1:

If you had read my comment well, you would read that I said a lot of men in recent times are making efforts.

And I said some men feel too big.

Which is the majority between a lot of and some?

There is no definite quantity for both.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by ImaIma1(f): 4:02pm On Jul 19, 2020
xynerise:

There is no definite quantity for both.

That is what you want to believe.

Those are my definitions below for a clearer understanding of my comment:

A lot: a large number or amount; a great deal.

Some: at least a small amount or number of people or things.

10 Likes

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by Drfernandez(m): 4:15pm On Jul 19, 2020
ogawisdom:
Mothers will always come before fathers so quit competing it's just natural. No one will love u more than your mother in this world.

If a father provided all your needs while growing up and paid all your school fees and the child still can't love him then he will when he grows up.

Discipline your children and provide for them, be there for them as much as time permits.

Stop trying to be a mother when u are a father.

These statements in quote are nonsense, especially the second statement "Mothers will always come before fathers so quit competing it's just natural. No one will love u more than your mother in this world."

Do not make your personal understanding to appear like a general understanding.

15 Likes

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jul 19, 2020
@op to be a man its not easy with modern day expectations from the society, a man is expected to provide and care for his family and even in many cases extended families and friends. Also if you have noticed men are getting involved in the welfare of their children unlike before.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Fathers Today Are Losing Relevance In The Family by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:15pm On Jul 19, 2020
[s]
xynerise:
Yes, I said so.

If you are of the school of thought that providing for the family along automatically makes you a caring father, then you are among those that
risk being irrelevant to your children.

If you look at most families today, the children hardly mention their fathers when making a reference to something inspiring. I mean quoting what your father once taught you or something positive you learnt while growing up. I am referring to fathers of our time.

Today, everything is about making money and paying the bills. That is not enough.
How close are you to your children? It is always the mother that attends to issues that trouble the children today. Even though fathers source for solutions at the end but the children will always remember the person that discovered the problems, or at least care to know what the problem is.

How often do we call our kids, sit them down and ask them about the kind of challenges they face in life?

Some fathers hardly call their children (far from home) on phone except the mother does and maybe pass the phone to him. This has made some people to call mostly their mothers on phone and explain situations to her rather than the father who provides the money to solve the situations.

You can see that despite most fathers provide the money, yet the mothers get most of the appreciation.

My point is, we shouldn't be too focus on just making the money. Let us remember we are also making a family too.

Cc: Lalasticlala
[/s]
My brother, a father's primary responsibility is to provide for his family. He toils, suffers and struggles to achieve that. This is in addition to provide care for the wife and kids and overall leadership.

A mother's primary responsibility is to care for the husband and kids, take care of home front and do any other responsibility assigned to her by the husband/father (feminists should go and die)

You can't expect a father to relegate his responsibility to be competing for attention of the children with the mother.

In fact, it is okay for children to be praising their mother as long as they, alongside their mother, acknowledge their father and are loyal to his authority. It is a welcome development!

When they are grown up they will realise their father's sacrifice!

For my family, we recognise both the sacrifices of our parents and always acknowledge them. As an adult male, I appreciates my father even more...

81 Likes 9 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

See The Nasty Photo Guy Posted To Celebrate Mother's Day / Pretty Ladies Can You Do This? Lovely Wedding Pic / I Am Not Happy With My Wife Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.