Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,686 members, 7,813,276 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount (37479 Views)

Airman Arraigned For Theft Of N20m Mistakenly Credited To His Account / EFCC Detains 3 Fake Nigerian Oil Suppliers For Defrauding Ghanaian Of N20m (pics / Man Jailed For 77 Years For Posing As A ‘spirit’ To Defraud Man Of N20m (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by jUeLiZ: 1:20pm On Apr 17
WHAT IT MEANS WHEN THE COURT GRANTS BAIL IN THE SUM OF 20M, 50M, 30, 000 OR ANY OTHER AMOUNT.

You see generally bail is a contract/agreement between a defendant (commonly called an accused person) and the court that the defendant will have a temporary liberty (right to move freely) pending his trial and shall appear in court throughout the trial. The agreement is normally in written form and is called a “bail bond”

The bail bond normally stipulates that the defendant cannot be released until he brings a surety (someone who will assure the court that the defendant would always be in court). The terms may also include a requirement that the surety must be someone who has money worth certain amount, example 50M. THIS HOWEVER DOES NOT MEAN that the defendant SHALL pay the 50M as a condition for his release. No! What it means is that if the defendant jumps bail (fails to appear in court when required and as agreed upon in the bail bond without cogent reason), his surety shall forfeit the money. But if he appears in court all the time, the money remains his own.

By reason of the foregoing, whenever you hear that someone had been granted 10M bail, know that what the court means is that anyone who is to stand as a surety to the defendant must afford 10M and shall forfeit the 10M Naira if the defendant jumps bail. Simple!

- O. G. Chukkol.

#Copied

365 Likes 41 Shares

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by delzbaba(m): 1:44pm On Apr 17
The surety must show evidence of owning the bail sum.

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by jUeLiZ: 1:47pm On Apr 17
delzbaba:
The surety must show evidence of owning the bail sum.
okay

2 Likes

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by MaziX(m): 3:15pm On Apr 17
God bless u

Seun.. let's educate others. Fp

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Available9: 4:37pm On Apr 17
Please educate them

Let me add my voice

Granting someone bail at any amount simply means that the person who will stand as surety to the accused must be ready to pay that amount when the accused runs away before the conclusion of the case, meaning the surety is not even paying any money before the release of the accused...even cubana doesn't know the meaning of bail, hence he wouldn't have posted that "money na water "...no one paid any money...it is simply a condition should the accused runs away

I bet 99.9 % of nairalanders do not know this

385 Likes 24 Shares

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by ogbenimax007: 5:18pm On Apr 17
Available9:
Please educate them

Let me add my voice

Granting someone bail at any amount simply means that the person who will stand as surety to the accused my be ready to pay that amount when the accused runs away before the conclusion of the case, meaning the surety is not even paying any money before the release of the accused...even cubana doesn't know the meaning of bail, hence he wouldn't have posted that "money na water "...no one paid any money...it is simply a condition should the accused runs away

I bet 99.9 % of nairalanders do not know
this
like me

102 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Kelklein(m): 6:34pm On Apr 17
Available9:
Please educate them

Let me add my voice

Granting someone bail at any amount simply means that the person who will stand as surety to the accused must be ready to pay that amount when the accused runs away before the conclusion of the case, meaning the surety is not even paying any money before the release of the accused...even cubana doesn't know the meaning of bail, hence he wouldn't have posted that "money na water "...no one paid any money...it is simply a condition should the accused runs away

Wrong.. the money is deposited with Court registry or clerk as the case may be..

It's not after the person defaulted.

At the end of the trial the money is returned as long as the bailed person did not jump the bail.

221 Likes 19 Shares

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Finquas: 6:52pm On Apr 17
jUeLiZ:
WHAT IT MEANS WHEN THE COURT GRANTS BAIL IN THE SUM OF 20M, 50M, 30, 000 OR ANY OTHER AMOUNT.

You see generally bail is a contract/agreement between a defendant (commonly called an accused person) and the court that the defendant will have a temporary liberty (right to move freely) pending his trial and shall appear in court throughout the trial. The agreement is normally in written form and is called a “bail bond”

The bail bond normally stipulates that the defendant cannot be released until he brings a surety (someone who will assure the court that the defendant would always be in court). The terms may also include a requirement that the surety must be someone who has money worth certain amount, example 50M. THIS HOWEVER DOES NOT MEAN that the defendant SHALL pay the 50M as a condition for his release. No! What it means is that if the defendant jumps bail (fails to appear in court when required and as agreed upon in the bail bond without cogent reason), his surety shall forfeit the money. But if he appears in court all the time, the money remains his own.

By reason of the foregoing, whenever you hear that someone had been granted 10M bail, know that what the court means is that anyone who is to stand as a surety to the defendant must afford 10M and shall forfeit the 10M Naira if the defendant jumps bail. Simple!

- O. G. Chukkol.

#Copied
Wow.. tanks for dis.. have been educated.. this is the kain of stuff we need in naira land.. not tribal bants and political higihagas that keep constituting nuisance on ds platform

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Available9: 7:09pm On Apr 17
Kelklein:

Wrong.. the money is deposited with Court registrar or clerk as the case may be..

At the end of the trial the money is returned as long as the bailed person did not jump the bail.
you are right, that is what the book says, but in reality, no one deposits anything...the issue of paying anything comes in when the surety cannot produce the defendant...this is my field

178 Likes 14 Shares

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Kornfusedman: 8:31pm On Apr 17
But what of when someone is arrested by the police and asked to bail himself pending the outcome of the case isn't money paid? I'm sure cash is paid to the IPO. Now are there two different types of bail in our system?
Just asking for clarifications

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by article1: 8:42pm On Apr 17
Kelklein:

Wrong.. the money is deposited with Court registrar or clerk as the case may be..

Are you sure?

1 Like

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by dominique(f): 9:09pm On Apr 17
I thought the defendant would be made to pay a percentage of the money before they're granted bail. So how much of that bail money goes to the court?

8 Likes

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by tunjijones(m): 9:10pm On Apr 17
This bail you are talking about and the one police use to collect in police station, are they the same?

145 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Felabrity: 9:11pm On Apr 17
Court just dey cashout this year

From Emefiele to Cubana

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by id4sho(m): 9:11pm On Apr 17
tongue

1 Like

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Sonnobax15(m): 9:11pm On Apr 17
lipsrsealed
These are the kind of educative threads that should be gracing the FP and not those useless threads that those NL mods have been pushing to FP for sometime now shocked

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by jibrilELsudan: 9:11pm On Apr 17
CUBANA CHIEF PRIEST JUST PROVED THAT INDEED HE IS A CONFAM ODE

THE MUMU BOY IS BOASTING AND JUBILATING LIKE HE WAS AQUITTED BECAUSE HE BELIEVES IN HIS FLAT BRAIN THAT HE WAS AQUITTED

HE EVEN TAUNTED AND BOASTED TO EFCC THAT HE IS BIGGER THAN THEM AND THEY CAN DO HIM NOTHING

BY THE TIME THEY FINISH WITH HIM HE WOULD HAVE WISHED HE PLEADED GUILTY AND WENT TO JAIL FOR 6 MONTHS

HE IS GOING TO STAND TRIAL AS EARLY AS NEXT WEEK OR NEXT AND FOR THIS SHOW OF ARROGANCE FROM HIM HE WILL RECEIVE THE MAXIMUM SENTENCE

IMAGINE COMING OUT OF COURT AND BRAGGING

HOW MUCH HE THINK SEY HE GET SEF

IN HIS FLAT BRAIN HE BELIEVES HE IS BIGGER AND HAS MORE MONEY AND INFLUENCE THAN ALL THE BIG MEN AND POLITICIANS THAT THE EFCC HAS SENT TO JAIL

HE WILL LEARN THE HARD LESSON WHEN HE GOES ON TRAIL AND HIS NYASH WILL BE OPEN

HE WILL HAVE TO PROVE AND DEFEND HIS SOURCE OF WEALTH IN COURT

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Divine15(m): 9:12pm On Apr 17
Available9:
Please educate them

Let me add my voice

Don't let jealousy blind you, Chiefpriest has always used "Money na Water" as his end signature on most of his recent posts.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Yari78: 9:12pm On Apr 17
Thanks for this
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Helpfromabove1(m): 9:13pm On Apr 17
True
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by richard870(m): 9:14pm On Apr 17
This is not so...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Obakoolex(m): 9:14pm On Apr 17
Very educative.
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by 175(m): 9:14pm On Apr 17
Kornfusedman:
But what of when someone is arrested by the police and asked to bail himself pending the outcome of the case isn't money paid? I'm sure cash is paid to the IPO. Now are there two different types of bail in our system?
Just asking for clarifications

Police bail with cash, and inside the police station is alien to the constitution but they still do it anyway.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by greenermodels: 9:14pm On Apr 17
Kelklein:

you're 100% right,I don't know the purpose of starting this thread and posting it immediately to the homepage,I guess the government wants to run disinformation campaign over this Cubana chief priest bail.

1 Like

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Hezzyluv: 9:14pm On Apr 17
I have learned new things today again.

But nonetheless something in me is telling me Cubana will not be jaul, they just used Bobrisky as scapegoat.

1 Like

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by eedimo(m): 9:15pm On Apr 17
grin Hu

1 Like

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Think9ja(m): 9:15pm On Apr 17
Ok

1 Like

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by beevalley: 9:15pm On Apr 17
In my personal experience of being a surety of 1m for a friend. I no drop shishi.
Condition was that I will pay if my friend run

104 Likes 1 Share

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Reality3080: 9:15pm On Apr 17
God bless u op

I don explain tire to some ignorant folks here, they just keep shouting money stop nonsense

They don’t even know d meaning of bail bond

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by frankson1(m): 9:15pm On Apr 17
I don't know why Bobrisky's bail conditions weren't disclosed to the public.

1 Like

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Ojoabidemi9(m): 9:16pm On Apr 17
I'm enlightened.

Thanks for sharing this!

7 Likes

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Anabosee(m): 9:17pm On Apr 17
I swear I didn't know this, I have never been in a situation that will land me in court.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pregnant Woman Crushes Husband’s Testicles Over Cheating, Killing Him / Nigerian Man Shot Dead In Canada In Random Shooting / Suspected Badoo Member Who Claimed To Be Looking For Food Lynched In Lagos. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.