Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,298 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. (9836 Views)

Buhari Addressed The Issue Of ‘first 100 Days In Office In UK / Lagos 2015: PDP Members Sue Obanikoro For Forgery, Dual Citizenship / Oyo Elections:Pdp Heads For Tribunal •accuses Ajimobi Of Having Dual Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by nduchucks: 7:07pm On Nov 23, 2011
@Onlytruth, I understand that you people celebrate "Thanksgiving" tomorrow. So nwannem maramma, happy Thanksgiving. cheesy
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by cleanzd: 2:48am On Aug 17, 2012
the question was if dual citizen is permitted in Nigeria, the answer is yes. its not about any politician, there is a need to stop throwing red herring into conversation to help whoever is in need of the information. on the oat, I took one too and based on the IO that I had, he explained to me during interview that the oat does not automatically affect the country of your birth, but it does affect you if you had previously naturalized to another country before acquiring US citizenship. he further explained that its individual free will if they deem it fit to relinquish their country of origin nationality. Us does not encourage dual citizenship either even though its permitted in the US. to clear the sky on this, this official documentation will help anyone that needs a better source of information. PAY A VERY GOOD ATTENTION TO PARAGRAPH TWO IN THIS DOCUMENTATION. use the following link. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by OmoLisabi(m): 3:58am On Aug 17, 2012
ndu_chucks:

In all honesty, you people need to stop this kind of irresponsible pronouncements. Your assertion above is totally false. The case against Ajimomi is not yet over and will be heard again on appeal. The tribunal who dismissed the case did not in any way state that Ajimobi's dual citizenship does not disqualify him from contesting.

The PDP had claimed that the Ajimobi was ineligible to stand for elections having voluntarily acquired the citizenship of the United States of America - an act which required renunciation of his nigerian citizenship.

Ajimobi's counsel had however averred that his client was living in Nigeria and had not relinquished his Nigerian citizenship as of the time he won the election.

The Tribunal noted that the PDP who are the petitioners in the matter relied on documents from the American Embassy in Nigeria, a page on the respondent’s international passport and his social security number.

While reading the ruling, Justice Pindiga pointed out that it is one of the principles of law that averment is not evidence. He stated that despite the fact that the burden of proving the case was on the petitioner, the documents needed to support the claims made (Ajimobi's dual citizenship)were never produced

The story will change on appeal when Akala produces adequate evidence of Ajimobi's US citizenship. Lets wait and see
you are very funny. The appeal court will only deliberate on the evidences provided at the tribunal and nothing more.. So akala the bingo is already a loser.
Re: The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. by OmoLisabi(m): 4:03am On Aug 17, 2012
Katsumoto:

Did you say rudiments of law? So I am guessing the rule of law provides for corrupt and incompetent leadership in Nigeria.

Millions of people all over the world take up citizenships of other countries for many reasons ranging from Marriage to migration. It is ludicrous to suggest that those who take up multiple citizens no longer love the country of their birth. I will hazard a guess that Ajimobi is not the only Nigerian leader with dual citizenship.
dimeji bankole holds a dual citizenship

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan's Administration Vs Muhammed Buhari's Administration / Nigeria's Effort To Secure International Loans Hit Deadlock - Daily Trust / Senate Condemns UK Travel Ban On Nigerians Over Omicron

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.