Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,672 members, 7,823,897 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? (15015 Views)

Throwback: Court Orders Uniform Cut Off Mark For Unity Schools. / List Of JAMB Cut-Off Marks For All Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges / JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Padipadi(m): 3:55pm On Apr 27
Jokerman:
The cut of marks for pupils seeking to get admission into Federal secondary schools recently released shows a disparity in cut off marks.

Why will someone from Anambra need to score as high as 139, and someone in Yobe need to score 2?

Or why will someone in Lagos need to score 133 and another from Kebbi need to score 9 to gain admission??

Part of WhatsApp wrecking Nigeria
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Segzy19: 3:55pm On Apr 27
One can even observe the obvious gender inequality in the cut offs for male vs female in the northern states .... Those guys up north are so backwards and they are seriously slowing down the development of this country. We can't really do much with them leaning on the rest of the country

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Roger3D(m): 3:56pm On Apr 27
DMerciful:
You work in a multinational and you vigorously defend incompetence? I guess tribalism affects even the seemingly expose persons.

What a shame!
Shut up man. You're the one with a cow dung filled brain. We have quotas for states in this country and it will remain like that until the nearer future

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Jokerman(m): 3:56pm On Apr 27
Roger3D:
Because it's unity school and students from educationally disadvantaged states should be afforded a place too. If you’re Anambra people don't like it they can as well build more stae school. Something Peter Obi was reluctant to do

What is educationally disadvantaged school??

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by mrvitalis(m): 3:56pm On Apr 27
StOla:
Straight answer is quota.

Every state has a quota, so whatever it takes to fill that quota versus the scores of the students from that state, is what you see as cut off mark.

No state has cheated another state. All have only fulfilled their respective quotas to benefit from the subsidised education that the federal government is providing to aid their unity objective of those Unity Schools.

It is not by force to attend a unity school which does not even constitute 5% of all the secondary schools in Nigeria.

Unity School system is a post civil war programme of the federal government to engender harmony and unity in Nigerian children.

I did not attend a unity secondary school and I made it in life.

That I did not enjoy the subsidised secondary education provided by Unity Schools, does not mean I did not enjoy the heavily subsidised public tertiary education that Nigeria provided that landed me a job in a multinational firm.

For that, I am grateful and free of student loans my foreign counterparts are paying.
But no quota in federal appointment? No quota in appointment of AIG? Commissioner of police? General in the army?

5 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by occfx: 3:57pm On Apr 27
Jokerman:
The cut of marks for pupils seeking to get admission into Federal secondary schools recently released shows a disparity in cut off marks.

Why will someone from Anambra need to score as high as 139, and someone in Yobe need to score 2?

Or why will someone in Lagos need to score 133 and another from Kebbi need to score 9 to gain admission??

In a zoo like the one we have here, if you like be Elon musk or Einstein, it's possible a cow will get admission before you and consequently, you die with whatever you know while the zoo republic remains stagnant and forcing everyone to be stagnant with Ak47.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by OnknownSoldier: 3:59pm On Apr 27
immortalcrown:
Because one Nigeria is a big scam.

The different cutoff marks are evidence of marginalisation of some regions. But hypocrites deny it.

However, the favoured region has the highest rate of illiteracy.

Reno who claims that Anambra is the capital of exam malpractice should explain why Anambra has the highest cutoff mark on this list. The list clearly shows that Anambra has always been intellectually more capable than other states.

States that have the facilities to accommodate more students will definitely have a lower cut-off mark.

The low cut-off in the north is to encourage people to go to school.

So if Lagos has a lower cut off mark compare to Anambra, it means Lagos have the capacity to accommodate more students. Unity schools are state owned. Hope you know?

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by GUNITGuy: 4:00pm On Apr 27
Just register your child with Zamfara state of origin and obtain a local government as a local government of origin ...
E sure for him Just 4/200 for Males while2/200 for females

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Angelfrost(m): 4:01pm On Apr 27
pocohantas:
Is this really cutoff mark or number of students to be admitted? I don't want to believe the 4, 2 and 9 I am seeing there.

Best believe it...!

They craftily term them Educationally disadvantaged... A lame excuse, if you ask me.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by DMerciful(m): 4:02pm On Apr 27
The unity school will also deny folake thats born in the North and attends same class as Aisha from birth.
StOla:

It is your own misunderstanding to think that a low cut off automatically means no singular student from those states made decent scores in the common entrance exam. It only means not enough students scored high to fulfill the state quota, so the bar is dropped low and then lower to capture more students who can take up the state quota.

In no way has this method of dropping the bar in Zamfara prevented a boy from Anambra or a girl from Ogun to take up the slots that was already allocated to their respective states. No one has cheated Emeka or Folake.

Emeka is competing with Chinyere, Folake is competing with Segun, Umaru is competing with Aisha. Their respective states already have guaranteed quota in the unity school admissions.

That you will suggest putting a uniform cut off mark, already betrays your ignorance and refusal to learn about the purpose of unity schools.

You think these people even care so much about these things?

It is we Southerners that carry this unity school cut off on our heads, as if our states do not already have many state owned public schools and private schools that students already attend.

Those Northern states also have many public primary and secondary schools owned by the state, so whatever the academic problems that continue to haunt those states, has nothing to do with their continued low cutoff mark into Unity Schools.

Their low cut off mark only help to inform that their level of education in that part of the country is abysmal. The cut off is a symptom not a cause.
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by chiboycue: 4:04pm On Apr 27
Jokerman:

May be the IQ of northerners are low that is why their cutoff mark is low as well.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Mindlog: 4:05pm On Apr 27
OnknownSoldier:

States that have the facilities to accommodate more students will definitely have a lower cut-off mark.

The low cut-off in the north is to encourage people to go to school.

So if Lagos has a lower cut off mark compare to Anambra, it means Lagos have the capacity to accommodate more students. Unity schools are state owned. Hope you know?

Unity schools are Federal government owned colleges, abi you no do national common entrance?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Eweduses: 4:05pm On Apr 27
It means ur fulani caliphates knows that Southern Igbos have a high capability brains than them in the noth_(ing).

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Abee79(m): 4:05pm On Apr 27
Equity vs. Equality 🤐
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by obaidan: 4:07pm On Apr 27
This is where the rot in the system starts. While a girl/boy from Imo state cannot get into school after scoring 130 and wanders around the street, and a boy/girl from osun state turns to hawking because his/her 123 score cannot get him admitted, On the same exam a boy/girl with a score of 5 from zamfara or yobe will get admitted, gets pampered through school and use the same kind of silly cut-off to get admitted into a University, gets pampered again through Uni, presented with a Bachelors certificate, then the same silly cut-off, now rebranded(in the workplace) as Quota/Federal Character will be applied and he/she will be employed in government agencies, ministries, Same quota will elevate him/her till he/she becomes director/perm sec, THEN HE/SHE BECOMES MATURED TO WRECK HAVOC ON THE SOCIETY by being totally useless and having no value to contribute to the growth of the society...Just collecting salary, taking kickbacks from contractors, and changing figures

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by DMerciful(m): 4:07pm On Apr 27
Has unity schools, which is an unjust system improve our unity?

Quota system is a system of mediocrity
JuanDeDios:

@op, if it's an honest question you asked, this post is your answer.

If you see how I've sweated to explain this simple concept to educated Nigerians - to no avail, ehn? Now, when people whine about Unity Schools and "how can Anambra be... while Kebbi is..." (a whining they do every year), I just ignore them.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Angelfrost(m): 4:08pm On Apr 27
Richtaiwo:

But some people who claim they are not Nigerians will rather prefer all the slots be allocated to them to the detriment of educationally disadvantaged Nigerian states. Nigeria really dodged a big missile.

Do you actually understand how stupid that term sounds?!! Educationally disadvantaged!

Who made them disadvantaged?!!

Why not remove that disadvantage rather than creating excuses for it.

We are talking about improved and standard education, not sacrificing merit in the name of subsidized education and unity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by DMerciful(m): 4:08pm On Apr 27
Me sef shock o. Someone that scored 2 most likely can't write his name without assistance grin
pocohantas:
Is this really cutoff mark or number of students to be admitted? I don't want to believe the 4, 2 and 9 I am seeing there.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by fkj950ax(m): 4:09pm On Apr 27
Yobe Boy- 2

Yobe Girl-27
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Nonexisting1: 4:11pm On Apr 27
There will be quota in unity schools but during appointments to national positions like COAS, CODS and Police IG, it will not about quota again. They will say it's about competence and I wonder if "people from my place" are the only competent. This country is a scam so learn to live with it or japa. As for me, I've accepted my fate which is why I triple my hustle and if it warrants cutting corners to stay alive in this jungle, I don't care anymore. Afterall, no one cuts corners more than these same quota people that full Abuja.

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Jayokey: 4:12pm On Apr 27
Nigeria is not a country

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by obaidan: 4:14pm On Apr 27
Jayokey:
Nigeria is not a country
I agree with you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Mindlog: 4:16pm On Apr 27
pocohantas:

It means a girl from Zamfara that scores 15 when their state's cut off mark is 2, is an academic genius and Queens College, Lagos sure for am, while the girl from Abia states needs to score a minimum of 130 to even be considered admission into other Federal government colleges BUT certainly NOT Queens College Lagos, she no reach! cheesy cheesy

My eldest sister is still unhappy till date for not getting Queens College despite scoring what is equivalent to 181 in the present scoring system because she is from Imo state and many girls also scored high + slots reserved for politician pikins back then. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Elusive001: 4:21pm On Apr 27
Nyouth:
no bro i see it this way. The cut of mark is a prove that one from a particular region is of higher intellect than the others or basically say one is more human than the others

Please this comment wrecks of pure wickedness and savagery at their peaks. I don't think that they are not allowed here. Be more humane and dilute your next comments.

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:21pm On Apr 27
Richtaiwo:

But some people who claim they are not Nigerians will rather prefer all the slots be allocated to them to the detriment of educationally disadvantaged Nigerian states. Nigeria really dodged a big missile.

At least, agree that easterners are more educationally capable
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Elusive001: 4:22pm On Apr 27
StOla:
Straight answer is quota.

Every state has a quota, so whatever it takes to fill that quota versus the scores of the students from that state, is what you see as cut off mark.

No state has cheated another state. All have only fulfilled their respective quotas to benefit from the subsidised education that the federal government is providing to aid their unity objective of those Unity Schools.

It is not by force to attend a unity school which does not even constitute 5% of all the secondary schools in Nigeria.

Unity School system is a post civil war programme of the federal government to engender harmony and unity in Nigerian children.

I did not attend a unity secondary school and I made it in life.

That I did not enjoy the subsidised secondary education provided by Unity Schools, does not mean I did not enjoy the heavily subsidised public tertiary education that Nigeria provided that landed me a job in a multinational firm.

For that, I am grateful and free of student loans my foreign counterparts are paying.

So what has the quota system achieved?

Anambra, Imo,and Enugu went from the bottom to the very top without quota system. What has it achieved?
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:24pm On Apr 27
StOla:

I will never support quota system in anything else except the Unity School system.

If you understand that the objective of the unity school is to always have a diverse mixture together and all enjoying subsidised education, then you will appreciate why it is a quota based system.

Otherwise, quota does not allow for the best.

Unity school is not for the best, it is for unity in diversity.

I used to know about some federal government school for the gifted.

That type of school should have no quota system to recruit students of diverse ethnicities, but a single system of recruiting only the exceptionally gifted students, regardless of which part of the country they originate from.

At least, accept that this means that the easterners are more educationally capable in the country
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Roger3D(m): 4:26pm On Apr 27
Jokerman:

What is educationally disadvantaged school??
Oga go and build your own school. Unity schools are for the FG and if you don't like them, enroll your kids elsewhere
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by iyerebenita993: 4:28pm On Apr 27
It's so unfair sha
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Poleski: 4:30pm On Apr 27
And the funny thing is that the zone that has low cutoff mark claim they're born to rule and yet their zone is the most impoverished, has the highest illiteracy level and the most insecure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ / Duoye Diri Honours NDU's First Female First Class Law Graduate, Ebizi Eradiri / JAMB Reduces Cut-off Mark To 180 For Unis & 160 For Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.