Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,521 members, 7,823,251 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? (15003 Views)

Throwback: Court Orders Uniform Cut Off Mark For Unity Schools. / List Of JAMB Cut-Off Marks For All Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges / JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Junwo: 5:14pm On Apr 27
Junwo:
For this life , who pass you pass you.
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Ykc2(m): 5:16pm On Apr 27
StOla:

Zamfara should keep retaining their admissions quota in the unity school system. No unity school can promote a student that did not pass.

Or is there a quota for promotion from one class to another in the unity school system? Only admissions have quota, not promotion/progression within the system.

The low score is a function of educational backwardness that the state governments do not care to address enough.

What about their state public schools? Have you considered how terribly low the entry requirements and even promotion would be?

Even with all of these, those educationally poor states do not fulfill all their guaranteed slots in the unity school system, which then fall back to other students from other states.
stop supporting nonsense biko
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by onumadu: 5:16pm On Apr 27
You see Anambra at 139, yet you also see some "Nigerians" in Nairaland saying that Peter Obi will never be allowed to become president of Nigeria.
Isn't that the clearest proof that Nigeria is cursed somehow?

3 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Orch1981: 5:16pm On Apr 27
Jayokey:
Nigeria is not a country
I have been saying it for many years now
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Bigseven(m): 5:17pm On Apr 27
The same reason why international passport is uniformly done through out the country. Ask about it
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by osazsky(m): 5:19pm On Apr 27
Cut off marks ABI numbers of students dat enrolled per state..the op that posted this can't score 1 in this exam if he can't comprehend dat list

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Elusive001: 5:19pm On Apr 27
Brendaniel:

And your solution is to encourage them to keep scoring 2 to gain admission ?

Please stop quoting a quota system product.or beneficiary.
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Orch1981: 5:22pm On Apr 27
SonofLagos:
grin why are you surprised? That’s the hypocrisy of an average flatty we talk about…they think northerners are fools grin
See mumu peter obi is a made man till forever you and your northerners wey never eat well na him I dey pity for
Black wey them want remove from hole he use him hand dey cover the hole

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by adanny01(m): 5:29pm On Apr 27
slivertongue:
my state's requirement is fair. But the score for Anambra show they are academically more capable than other States

I don't agree.

On the contrary, the high cut off is due to numbers of applications or competition within a state.

The aim of the school is unity, numbers of slot for each state is same. The cutoff is always adjusted to get the number from each state the same.
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by RepoMan007: 5:31pm On Apr 27
The constitution equally recognises their preferred religion above the other one.
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Orch1981: 5:32pm On Apr 27
onumadu:
You see Anambra at 139, yet you also see some "Nigerians" in Nairaland saying that Peter Obi will never be allowed to become president of Nigeria.
Isn't that the clearest proof that Nigeria is cursed somehow?
Nigeria is not a country believe me I have never vote and I will not vote and Nigeria can never move forward no be curse na fact

3 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Forumites: 5:33pm On Apr 27
StOla:
Straight answer is quota.

Every state has a quota, so whatever it takes to fill that quota versus the scores of the students from that state, is what you see as cut off mark.

No state has cheated another state. All have only fulfilled their respective quotas to benefit from the subsidised education that the federal government is providing to aid their unity objective of those Unity Schools.

It is not by force to attend a unity school which does not even constitute 5% of all the secondary schools in Nigeria.

Unity School system is a post civil war programme of the federal government to engender harmony and unity in Nigerian children.

I did not attend a unity secondary school and I made it in life.

That I did not enjoy the subsidised secondary education provided by Unity Schools, does not mean I did not enjoy the heavily subsidised public tertiary education that Nigeria provided that landed me a job in a multinational firm.

For that, I am grateful and free of student loans my foreign counterparts are paying.
Sandy soil full your brain I swear.
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Coolgent(m): 5:39pm On Apr 27
The sole purpose of this post is to encourage tribalism; and indirectly to generate traffic to nairaland

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by adanny01(m): 5:44pm On Apr 27
Mindlog:
My eldest sister scored 543 when it was over 600 and Imo state had the highest cut off mark of 527 back then.

She passed the subsequent interview but was not given admission to her first choice of Queens College, Lagos nor her second choice FGC Ijanikin as my parents wanted her to remain in Lagos....dem post am go FGC Sokoto but her classmate from Kaduna who scored less than 450 got admitted into Queens College...my parents said thunder fire Federal Ministry of Education and refused the admission, got my sister enrolled in a day secondary school in Lagos 😂😂😂

So your sister lives in Lagos and probably from the South West and you expected Queens college to be easy?

Do you even know what Unity school is? Do you know the aims and objectives of the schools.

I am above 40, even before this age I correct and lecture my parents on things they don't know or are wrong about.

If your parents don't understand, you should try to understand and let them know it's expected.

Let me tell you the most difficult admission to get, it is more difficult to get a unity school in your own state. It's by design.

Just because Queens college is in Lagos doesn't mean they will fill it up with people from Lagos.
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by SonofLagos: 5:47pm On Apr 27
Orch1981:

See mumu peter obi is a made man till forever you and your northerners wey never eat well na him I dey pity for
Black wey them want remove from hole he use him hand dey cover the hole
so if bitter obi becomes president there won’t be hunger anymore😂? Why are there still hungry people in anambala? I thought bitter obi eradicated hunger in anambala…I pray and hope Una receive sense soon😂

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by jojothaiv(m): 5:49pm On Apr 27
LOVEALAIGBO:

And the funny thing is, had the so called 'educationally disadvantaged' ones been 'advantaged', they would have devised a way to corner more from the federation account for states doing well in education.....kinda like they sneakily did with population and landmass!
Babangida wasn't called Maradona for no reason

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by adanny01(m): 5:50pm On Apr 27
StOla:

I will never support quota system in anything else except the Unity School system.

If you understand that the objective of the unity school is to always have a diverse mixture together and all enjoying subsidised education, then you will appreciate why it is a quota based system.

Otherwise, quota does not allow for the best.

Unity school is not for the best, it is for unity in diversity.

I used to know about some federal government school for the gifted.

That type of school should have no quota system to recruit students of diverse ethnicities, but a single system of recruiting only the exceptionally gifted students, regardless of which part of the country they originate from.

Thumbs up

Those who don't understand should also question why Jamb cutoff for MBBS is very high compared to Library science.
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Entusky(m): 5:52pm On Apr 27
Brendaniel:

Listen to yourself, no one is asking for that, what we are saying is give an equitable competitive system, the quota system has failed and still failing, it is not helping the northerners at all and the country....

It is making them to lag academically and other developments which is affecting the country....

Op no mind d werey abeg
normally yoruba pipol na hypocrites dem be
hin knw say wetin u dey talk na true
but hatred no go allow am admit
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by deji17: 5:56pm On Apr 27
What is the source of this news? That is the first thing a rational human being will ask.
Second question is how many Northerners are admitted into this unity schools? When hatred and complex is inbred, then none of the above matters.
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Mindlog: 5:58pm On Apr 27
adanny01:

So your sister lives in Lagos and probably from the South West and you expected Queens college to be easy?

Do you even know what Unity school is? Do you know the aims and objectives of the schools.

I am above 40, even before this age I correct and lecture my parents on things they don't know or are wrong about.

If your parents don't understand, you should try to understand and let them know it's expected.

Let me tell you the most difficult admission to get, it is more difficult to get a unity school in your own state. It's by design.

Just because Queens college is in Lagos doesn't mean they will fill it up with people from Lagos.

We are from Imo state
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by adanny01(m): 5:59pm On Apr 27
nedu666:
In yobe boy needs 2 points, while a girl needs 27 points

In Taraba boy needs 3 points, girl needs 11.

In sokoto boy needs 9 points, girl needs 13

In kebbi boy needs 9 points, girl needs 20 points

Are the boys not supposed to need more points than the girls.

In certain cultures, the birth of a boy automatically is a farm help, a girl is meant only for marriage. Those who are from these places will prefer their girl child to either go to school or marry.
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by tnerro1(m): 6:02pm On Apr 27
Because abokiis will die off without quota system to sustain them, parasites, all of them….spits
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by StarRiderr: 6:02pm On Apr 27
Richtaiwo:

When you finally get your biafra, you can ignore any part that is disadvantaged in any form. But in Nigeria, the national resources can't be concentrated in the training of a singl section who claim they are not even Nigerians. Unity Schools are for the benefit of all Nigerians. If you don't like it, nobody is forcing you.
you just talked like typical agbero that you are that's how your likes on the roads of Lagos always reason and talks....... example owo mi da if Lagos don tire u go back to ur state

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Mindlog: 6:03pm On Apr 27
HarunaWest:
When I wrote my common entrance exam, I came 3rd in Alimosho Local Government back then, I actually selected FGC Ijankikan and I was granted the admission, however regimental life called me. I feel your sis was just unfortunate, most of my peeps then got the schools they selected.

She was one of the tops in Shomolu local government back then, she was just unlucky but glad she still excelled academically, now a Reverend Sister with her Doctorate in Psychology. wink

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by tnerro1(m): 6:04pm On Apr 27
The useless minister is talking of below 18 years mainly from the south not being allowed to go to universities but no problem with 14 years old girl being married off in the north

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by adecz: 6:04pm On Apr 27
⚫️⚫️⚫️⚫️🔸🔹🔸🔷

If uniform cutoff marks are used,
no Muslim northern child will enter
unity schools...

On the other hand, SE & SW students
will use "Expo" to score 200 marks..

Na so E be ..

Most of the Northern students that
go to Northern universities graduate
without being able to speak English, but
they will be given the juiciest Fed Government
jobs.

Northerners keep dragging the rest
of the country back..⏺️⏺️⏺️⏺️⏺️

3 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Celense(m): 6:05pm On Apr 27
Why not treat everybody equally? I'm not surprised......
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by adanny01(m): 6:06pm On Apr 27
Mindlog:

We are from Imo state

Just like NYSC, you are not meant to be posted to where you are from, where both parents are from, where you lived or schooled, or where you have visited and spent considerable time.

You are meant to go to a strange place.

Living in Lagos reduced your sister's chances. The experience is better appreciated by an Imo indigene who doesn't have family in Lagos.

When she applied, using a Lagos address alone will make it difficult for her.
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Jokerman(m): 6:09pm On Apr 27
osazsky:
Cut off marks ABI numbers of students dat enrolled per state..the op that posted this can't score 1 in this exam if he can't comprehend dat list

If Nottingham no beat Una tomorrow ehn...
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by Mindlog: 6:12pm On Apr 27
adanny01:

Just like NYSC, you are not meant to be posted to where you are from, where both parents are from, where you lived or schooled, or where you have visited and spent considerable time.

You are meant to go to a strange place.

Living in Lagos reduced your sister's chances. The experience is better appreciated by an Imo indigene who doesn't have family in Lagos.

When she applied, using a Lagos address alone will make it difficult for her.

But her primary 6 classmate in the same primary school, who is from Kaduna State was given admission into Queens College with far lesser mark.

My family owns a school in Lagos and one of our former pupils whose state of origin is Abia state, made it into Queens College, Lagos.
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by adanny01(m): 6:12pm On Apr 27
Celense:
Why not treat everybody equally? I'm not surprised......

It's a unity school, the number from each state is supposed to be equal. That's the priority, not the cutoff marks.
Re: Why Is There No Uniform Cut Of Marks For Unity Schools In Nigeria? by onuman: 6:18pm On Apr 27
Jokerman:
The cut of marks for pupils seeking to get admission into Federal secondary schools recently released shows a disparity in cut off marks.

Why will someone from Anambra need to score as high as 139, and someone in Yobe need to score 2?

Or why will someone in Lagos need to score 133 and another from Kebbi need to score 9 to gain admission??

Northern military dictators made that to subdue advancement in the south, not for North to catch up with the south educationally.
The far north, for example, pays no premium to Western education but to Islamic education.

What of the excess number of
20 states and hundreds of local government Councils proliferated in one region - north - by northern military dictators who created states and local government areas? Only 17 states and fewer local government Councils were left for the 2 southern regions.
Three regions formed Nigeria in 1960. No other country formed by different regions ever used land mass or population as yardstick to determine where new federal units can be created, except perhaps, Nigeria. There should have been more new states in the two southern regions than in one northern region.

Inequity was stamped into the 1999 Constitution by northern military dictators who supervised the Constitution. It's like a Decree in use to SUBJUGATE SOUTH OF NIGERIA TO EVENTUAL SLAVES TO NORTHERN REGION OF NIGERIA.

Tinubu crisscrossed the SW region for more than 15 years pleading for political restructuring of Nigeria. Hopefully, Tinubu will go for political restructuring of Nigeria now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

~university Of Abuja~ 2009/2010 Post Ume / 7 Things Students Can Do During The ASUU Strike / Half Salary: ASUU Declares One-Day Nationwide Protest Rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.