Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,797 members, 7,827,943 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board (12997 Views)

"Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board / Resumption: Vcs Succumb To FG, Open Attendance Register For Varsity Lecturers / Varsity Admissions Into Three Competitive Courses: Delta, Two Others Top Perform (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by mrvitalis(m): 5:47am On Apr 28
Sapasenator:

PHD @ 18 ?

Can I have what you are smoking ?

Google is free, the youngest is actually 13 years old

https://www.online-phd-programs.org/youngest-phd/
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Jidefido(m): 5:56am On Apr 28
Incidentally, i support this policy. Emotionally, most of these kids are not equipped for the rigours of Nigerian University education. And again, its a unique opportunity for the students if for example finishes secondary school at 16 years to use the following two years to learn skills in whatever field he or she wishes. Or another idea is if the FG will create a pre-university scheme where these students can learn andbdevelop their skills as well as prepring them emotionally ahead. Then parents should stop rushing their kids through primary school that from primary 5 to Jss1 and ss2 to University through GCE.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by samomoli: 6:02am On Apr 28
Progressive Nigerians
I. Girls can get married at age 10
ii. Students can only be admitted to university
at 18
iii. Rich and children of politicians can be
admitted to private or foreign universities
at any age since it can be avoided
iii. The suggestion is coming from a minister
from an educational disadvantage region.
iv. Is this the solution to all the problems Nigeria education system is facing
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by iyke2frankeze: 6:35am On Apr 28
PressMyButton:
Even abroad there's age limit, oversabi dey worry nigerians. Let kids be kids and stop pushing unneccessary pressures on them. Varsity is for adults not kids.
And you hypocrits celebrated a Nigerian for obtaining PhD at a very young age? The politicians have enough money to send their kids to study abroad at young age but make a law against young age for the poor people in Nigeria.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Lush100(m): 7:03am On Apr 28
16 years is okay.
Government should focus on major issues. University autonomy and help education to be standard.
Encouraging education and research not age.
So.if someone who.is 90 years want to go.to school.
Should we also place limit.
16 is fair.

1 Like

Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Trojan8(m): 7:21am On Apr 28
2023Blessed:
Rubbish talk. I graduated from the University at 18 and I am not a genius in anyway. You backward people with backward mentality should stop limiting the potentials of our children.

You graduated at 18, yet you still don't have the decency to have a conversation with a random person on the internet without resorting to insult. Maybe just maybe I was right.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by OlujobaSamuel: 7:22am On Apr 28
CaptainFM1:
If a kid finishes secondary school at 16 and need to wait till 18 before sitting for Jamb, such kid would forget everything learnt in secondary school and the chances of such kid securing adequate cut off mark slims by every single year wasted.

Also, it would be additional cost to the parents to get refresher tutorials for the kid by the time he would be clocking 18, and that's if such kid has not already entered the world.

With the current societal vices (peer pressure and social media), the chances of creating more Olosho's out of girl child will increase if a girl had to wait from 16 to 18years.

The chances of creating more petty thieves, druggie and "rapeast" would also increase in the boy child.

What happens to the saying "catch them young" again?
This is my major concern with the policy, as long as a child is done with secondary education, rights to move on to the next stage shouldn't be taken away.
We all know secondary education ends at 16, why wait for 2yrs before writing utme, what will fill the 2yrs gap??
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by OGHENAOGIE(m): 7:33am On Apr 28
LibertyRep:
16 - 17 is fair.
This has to be regulated somehow.
We can pretend not to see that parents rush their wards through primary and secondary schools, using any means possible
is this out problem?? Besides let each skool decide that not the minister...
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by OGHENAOGIE(m): 7:34am On Apr 28
PressMyButton:
Even abroad there's age limit, oversabi dey worry nigerians. Let kids be kids and stop pushing unneccessary pressures on them. Varsity is for adults not kids.
did u read the article?? When u get pikin hold am til 25 so im go mature ok.. it's a stupid policy
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by OGHENAOGIE(m): 7:36am On Apr 28
babat001:
Go FPN ( Federal poly Nasarawa) u will see kids that were supposed to be under parental control dressing half naked and doing so Wild stuff all in d name of freedom called " am in school" I think d age control is a good development
what's Ur business with their dressing are u a moral police.. nonsense
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by OGHENAOGIE(m): 7:40am On Apr 28
onuman:

Onye oshi. There is no age limit in the UK for example, for admission into university.

It's the university that asseses the academic records of an
applicant below 18, and determines whether or not the applicant can be admitted.
exactly let university decide we have other problems to worry about not age.. at 16 a person is already matured self

1 Like

Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by 2023Blessed: 7:46am On Apr 28
Trojan8:

You graduated at 18, yet you still don't have the decency to have a conversation with a random person on the internet without resorting to insult. Maybe just maybe I was right.
If you call what I wrote up there an insult, then you are not only half-baked in knowledge but you have also confirmed that you are actually as backward in thinking as your leaders. If you cannot differentiate facts from insult, that's on you. Have a great Sunday cheesy
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by MalaikaEH(f): 7:57am On Apr 28
With the Nigerian education system full of ASUU strikes and school closures due to protest, COVID-19, etc, someone that enters university at age 18 will graduate 7 or 8 years later . Then, when they advertise for job, they will put "below 25 years old wanted". I wonder why people still think this way in this century.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Kei144(m): 7:59am On Apr 28
The universities have their age limits. University autonomy should be respected.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Sk5050: 8:15am On Apr 28
Say no to retrogressive policy.
While you peg age limit for recruitment/employment to 21 to 30 making it difficult for them to get a job after school. Cos Nigerian schools and strike na 5&6 by time they're done with school and NYC they're already above the age limit for employment, and that's how falsification of age comes about, which way 9ja, say NO to bad policies.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Trojan8(m): 8:56am On Apr 28
2023Blessed:
If you call what I wrote up there an insult, then you are not only half-baked in knowledge but you have also confirmed that you are actually as backward in thinking as your leaders. If you cannot differentiate facts from insult, that's on you. Have a great Sunday cheesy

OK
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by bhella10: 11:09am On Apr 28
LadyExcellency:

When your region allows marriage at 9, motherhood at 14. Why stop critical thinking?

Any child that can pass Computer based tests unassisted should be allowed and admitted to the University.
Dey play
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by firearcher: 4:05pm On Apr 28
Tragic that many cannot even debate the pros and cons of a policy without insulting themselves or turning it into a tribal or political war
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by WeLive: 4:17pm On Apr 28
I want them, not prodigies
Note, Nigerians are not sending prodigies to enter Universities at 13 or 14

mrvitalis:

I said each of the other countries... Do you want it?
If a genius is identified at a younger age, that is an exception, when the government decides he/she can proceed to higher levels depending on their government policies.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by mrvitalis(m): 4:28pm On Apr 28
WeLive:
I want them, not prodigies
Note, Nigerians are not sending prodigies to enter Universities at 13 or 14

If a genius is identified at a younger age, that is an exception, when the government decides he/she can proceed to higher levels depending on their government policies.
Can a none genius get admission before 18 ?

You just talking what I don't know
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by SweetCarrot(m): 8:18pm On Apr 28
Is this good news?

Technicians Needed in Port Harcourt City

🛠️AC Technician
🔧Refrigerator Technician
⚙️Washing Machine Technician
🪛Electrician
👇 👇 👇 👇
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10AsSlPklmjoM-r8L4Bjhda5R7XwMv282tdkWzUYkLjY/edit
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by xjiggy: 10:48am On Apr 29
I support the age restrictions. Most of the children we see in universities now are a product of the rush rush mentality of their parents. You see some of them boasting about their children finishing university at the age of 20. The level of suicide in our universities is as a result of these kids not mentally matured and prepared for the outside world. Just one carryover... suicide. If u have a child who finished sec school by 15/16, let him or her learn a vocation, a trade, courses in IT. They'll use that period to also learn interpersonal skills.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by WeLive: 8:28am On Apr 30
In Nigeria, yes. You don't have to be a genius to get admission before 18 in Nigeria

You are just confused and cannot defend your initial dump comment
mrvitalis:

Can a none genius get admission before 18 ?

You just talking what I don't know
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Sapasenator: 2:13pm On May 01
mrvitalis:

Google is free, the youngest is actually 13 years old

https://www.online-phd-programs.org/youngest-phd/

so you use outliers to make decisions about a populations. How many of those do you have in the world, can you name me 20
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by mrvitalis(m): 2:21pm On May 01
Sapasenator:

so you use outliers to make decisions about a populations. How many of those do you have in the world, can you name me 20
Those out liners are people who change the world

Preventing them have consequences
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Hepice2: 4:21pm On May 02
Nealfun Games delivers a captivating gaming experience with their innovative titles. Dive into their world of fun and adventure at Neal fun
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Hepice2: 4:22pm On May 02
Slither.io Online offers addictive gameplay that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Join the slithering frenzy now at Slither io
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Hepice2: 4:23pm On May 02
Immaculate Grid presents a polished gaming environment with stunning visuals and engaging challenges. Explore their pristine world at Immaculate Grid Game

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IMSUTH Workers Protest In Black Over Salaries Owed Them By Governor Okorocha / Rivers Police Stop Teachers From Collecting Posting Letters / Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.