Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,805 members, 7,827,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board (12998 Views)

"Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board / Resumption: Vcs Succumb To FG, Open Attendance Register For Varsity Lecturers / Varsity Admissions Into Three Competitive Courses: Delta, Two Others Top Perform (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by StOla: 10:03pm On Apr 27
The problem is that Nigerian parents are cheats.

Some are ready to ensure their kids are in primary 1 at 2yrs old.

Primary should start at 5yrs and end by 11yrs.
Secondar should end at 17yrs and enter the university the same year.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by firearcher: 10:05pm On Apr 27
The government has a point but the issue may not be a priority at this moment. It is also an idea that can definitely be finetuned until the right balance is achieved.

I am disappointed in the Punch editorial in the sense that it only sets out to castigate the government and not really weigh the pros and cons of the policy. You can disagree with the government priority but still acknowledge that the issue has its own merit.

Being rushed into secondary school and consequently into the university nearly messed me up but God had mercy on me and helped me rediscover myself before I got lost completely. But not after I have taken some damages to my self-esteem and self-confidence. A damage that took me many years to rebuild.

1 Like

Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by remsonik(f): 10:05pm On Apr 27
I dont support this age limit cos some didn't get admission immediately they finished secondary school. I know a boy in my locality who had to write Jamb 3 year before he got a suitable admission for the course he wished.
Also a very slow learner child who loves to study well can spend 8 years in secondary school and got admitted into university few years after finishing secondary school.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Popesuccess(m): 10:08pm On Apr 27
LibertyRep:
16 - 17 is fair.
This has to be regulated somehow.
We can pretend not to see that parents rush their wards through primary and secondary schools, using any means possible
It will be fair if the rich don't send their 15 years old children to school overseas while denying ordinary folks
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by mrvitalis(m): 10:13pm On Apr 27
WeLive:
grin shocked

Do not expose yourself and possible low IQ by writing trash you are not sure of with confidence
You want me to show you graduate from each country that graduated at less than each of those ages?
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Shimbo96(m): 10:19pm On Apr 27
Cindypresh:
Tell them oo

Later corporate offices will start looking for a 24yrs old graduate with 100yrs work experience.

Akuko ndi ara
nah that 100yrs work experience dey vex me pass.

1 Like

Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Soulifting: 10:22pm On Apr 27
Which abroad are you talking about
The uk i know .... you cant skip any class
You are placed in a particular vlass based on your ageuote author=mrvitalis post=129669680]
Abroad smart people can be graduate by 16
People get PhD at 18

The law should simply be that if you are below 18 you can only go to university within 10km of your guidan or parents

If you can pass weac at 5 years nothing stops you from going to university [/quote]
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by mrvitalis(m): 10:29pm On Apr 27
Soulifting:
Which abroad are you talking about
The uk i know .... you cant skip any class
You are placed in a particular vlass based on your ageuote author=mrvitalis post=129669680]
People get PhD at 18

The law should simply be that if you are below 18 you can only go to university within 10km of your guidan or parents

If you can pass weac at 5 years nothing stops you from going to university
Google youngest graduates in USA please
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by WeLive: 10:37pm On Apr 27
mrvitalis:

You want me to show you graduate from each country that graduated at less than each of those ages?
Do not US to judge for all developed countries.

Yes, at least show for 5 different developed countries
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by mrvitalis(m): 10:39pm On Apr 27
WeLive:

Do not US to judge for all developed countries.

Yes, at least show for 5 different developed countries

I said each of the other countries... Do you want it?

Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by vicoje: 10:51pm On Apr 27
Age limit is a welcome development.
Visit the primary and secondary schools, you will cry.
The 6334 system is gone.
Parents enrol their children from primary 3&4 to JSS1 from JSS 2 to SS1 from SS2 to university either as cultist, yahoo boys or prostitute.
No more primary 5 and 6
No more JSS3
No more SS 3
Nigeria education system is gone.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by seunny4lif(m): 10:55pm On Apr 27
Should be age 17 minimum
Must be age 5 at least to start primary
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Bfly: 10:56pm On Apr 27
This is Nigeria, make your point without so much comparisons.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Oparasunny125(m): 10:58pm On Apr 27
FreeStuffsNG:
Age limit for varsity admissions backward

https://punchng.com/age-limit-for-varsity-admissions-backward/
This country self, most of our ministers don't know what they are saying, when it comes to job vacancies, they will say fresh graduates not more than 25 years old. Now you still want to restrict them from entering school early age

Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Sapasenator: 11:05pm On Apr 27
mrvitalis:

People get PhD at 18

If you can pass weac at 5 years nothing stops you from going to university

PHD @ 18 ?

Can I have what you are smoking ?
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by laprince(m): 11:19pm On Apr 27
Backward thinking. I gained admission way before 18 years
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by 43Ronin: 11:23pm On Apr 27
PressMyButton:
Even abroad there's age limit, oversabi dey worry nigerians. Let kids be kids and stop pushing unneccessary pressures on them. Varsity is for adults not kids.
Anything tinubu you support like a fool. You are even trowing in abroad? The youngest graduate in the world is an American and she was 10 years old when she graduated. The lady below graduated 1st class in philosophy. Philosophy ooo, try am if you no go mad

1 Like

Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by 43Ronin: 11:27pm On Apr 27
Sapasenator:

PHD @ 18 ?

Can I have what you are smoking ?
Most tinubu supporters are illiterate, inexposed & dumb as fùck

Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by femi4: 11:32pm On Apr 27
LibertyRep:
16 - 17 is fair.
We can pretend not to see that parents rush their wards through primary and secondary schools, using any means possible
You will deny the genius among them

People mature differently when it comes to learning
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by onuman: 11:35pm On Apr 27
A decision designed to retard southern teenagers from aspiring to graduate early from tertiary education institutions in Nigeria, after Quota System wouldn't deter them.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by onuman: 11:44pm On Apr 27
PressMyButton:
Even abroad there's age limit, oversabi dey worry nigerians. Let kids be kids and stop pushing unneccessary pressures on them. Varsity is for adults not kids.
Onye oshi. There is no age limit in the UK for example, for admission into university.

It's the university that asseses the academic records of an
applicant below 18, and determines whether or not the applicant can be admitted.

2 Likes

Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Easyluv2live(m): 12:06am On Apr 28
It's also about time to extend the lifespan of Jamb results to two years or more.

They won't see things like dat to implement only wat wil stop the common man from accessing beta amenities dat they wil put in place,but one tin is sure we all wil acess death either we like it or not...
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by yemmywesey(m): 12:13am On Apr 28
17 is ok for female
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by CaptainFM1: 12:30am On Apr 28
If a kid finishes secondary school at 16 and need to wait till 18 before sitting for Jamb, such kid would forget everything learnt in secondary school and the chances of such kid securing adequate cut off mark slims by every single year wasted.

Also, it would be additional cost to the parents to get refresher tutorials for the kid by the time he would be clocking 18, and that's if such kid has not already entered the world.

With the current societal vices (peer pressure and social media), the chances of creating more Olosho's out of girl child will increase if a girl had to wait from 16 to 18years.

The chances of creating more petty thieves, druggie and "rapeast" would also increase in the boy child.

What happens to the saying "catch them young" again?

1 Like

Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by bhella10: 1:38am On Apr 28
I stand with the Minister. Punch NG can goandie grin
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Eleph(m): 3:22am On Apr 28
Instead of him to address the infamous quota system syndrome bedeviling the fabric of our national life where incompetence and mediocrity is the order of the day, a child scores as low as 5 in some States and he or she is admitted into any of the Unity Schools just because you feel he's coming from an educationally disadvantaged State whereas, different grade is expected from children from the Southern parts of the country who are expected to score as high as 130 from the same entrance examination for the same admission.

The northern minister better look for something better to do with his time in office rather than trying to suppress our children's God given talents. To his kinsmen, it's okay for a 12 year old to be married off to a paedophile while it's a taboo for a 16 year old to seek for knowledge in a higher institution.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Inspirer1: 4:10am On Apr 28
Eshera:
Very outdated
very nonsense policy.
One or two young lads might have a challenge and they will just generalise.
It's like saying we should not board vehicles again just because 2 vehicles had an accident, it doesn't make sense na
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by LadyExcellency: 4:12am On Apr 28
bhella10:
I stand with the Minister. Punch NG can goandie grin

When your region allows marriage at 9, motherhood at 14. Why stop critical thinking?

Any child that can pass Computer based tests unassisted should be allowed and admitted to the University.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by Inspirer1: 4:14am On Apr 28
43Ronin:

Anything tinubu you support like a fool. You are even trowing in abroad? The youngest graduate in the world is an American and she was 10 years old when she graduated. The lady below graduated 1st class in philosophy. Philosophy ooo, try am if you no go mad
don't mind them, it's when it comes to implementing nonsense they will be making reference to 'abroad', but they won't see and implement other very good quality of life the government over there gives to its people
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by wildernessVoice: 5:29am On Apr 28
My problem is the same people clamouring for this age limit would manipulate it in favour of their children or send their children abroad where within three years they'll graduate.
Re: Age Limit For Varsity Admissions Backward - Punch Editorial Board by ponishah: 5:35am On Apr 28
LibertyRep:
16 - 17 is fair.
Backward thinking.
So what happens to brilliant students who God through his gift "rush" through primary and secondary?

What happens to geniuses?
On the contrary, its the older students that spoil the school , with all sorts of antisocial activities.

Useless and redundant ineffective politicians, always eager to trend wrongfully

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rivers Police Stop Teachers From Collecting Posting Letters / Nigerian Schools' Disciplinary System; How Effective Is It? / Kirikiri Inmate Enrolls For Phd In Criminology At NOUN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.