Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,458 members, 7,830,281 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 (18715 Views)

Oro Festival: Ikorodu Warns Females To Stay Indoors On May 16 / Igboho: Oro Worshippers Impose 7-day Curfew; Women, Visitors To Remain Indoors / How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by Gajagojo: 1:18pm On Apr 29
Sergio103:
21st century??

Primitive people I share the country with
But 21st century it is okay for two men to marry each other?
That is not primitive because
Na oyinbo day do am
Many of you are incapable of thinking independently you just follow blindly
Are you circumcised? Will you circumcise your children?
Is circumcision not primitive? Why not?
Some people Bury their dead others cremate
Is one primitive and the other civilised?
You need to learn to think your own thoughts and stop echoing other people's ideas

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by Chicagograduate(m): 1:19pm On Apr 29
Oro Jūju priest should be ban because they kill human and sacrifices their blood to oro

2 Likes

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by Gajagojo: 1:21pm On Apr 29
Chicagograduate:
Oro Jūju priest should be ban because they kill human and sacrifices their blood to oro
How do you know this?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by Exousiang01: 1:21pm On Apr 29
We are nothing without our culture.

The many Easterners who criticize ORO festival also have festivals and certain rituals in their homes that forbid the participation of women.

It's unfortunate you love China that have developed because their cultur, you Iove America that developed because of the American dream which is a culture. Japan is where it is today because of their culture.
The Norse/Viking countries of Norway, Iceland, Denmark etc are where they are today because of their culture unfortunately Africa is where it is today because we have rejected our culture worse part is that we don't even know.

Africans would have no identity in a few years

9 Likes

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by chopnaira: 1:22pm On Apr 29
PARADIZEPRIEST:
DARKLIFE PULLING AFROCANS BACKWARDS, Americans do hallowEEn and they dont ask people to stay indoors, what is Africa doing in this jet age. JESUS CHRIST MY LORD FOREVER. angry
We Africans will take 1 day Oro over their men sleeping with men culture.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by Alvin212(m): 1:24pm On Apr 29
Opportunities for skull miners

1 Like

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by Chicagograduate(m): 1:24pm On Apr 29
Gajagojo:

How do you know this?
What do they do with women when they say they should not come out at a particular time?It is a ritual feast to appease juju.
Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by VHILL: 1:25pm On Apr 29

2 Likes

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by plumcomm: 1:27pm On Apr 29
TotoIsGud4boy:
Very cool!! Let’s show bad belle our rich culture and heritage worth emulating tongue

Thunder fire GRV
Thunder fire enemies of Nigeria

God bless Tinubu
God bless Sanwo
God bless Lagos
God bless Yorubaland
if them born their papa well make their mothers and sisters come outside,useless people don’t know more than disrespecting their hosts.they even do worst in their villages,some of them kill and eat their visitors.common to abide by the culture and tradition of their hosts they will become defiant…shayb na primitive and nzobu,make their wives come out on that day.

10 Likes

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by Ishilove: 1:29pm On Apr 29
Which kind of yeye, archaic tradition is this??

1 Like

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by peculiar2233: 1:32pm On Apr 29
TotoIsGud4boy:
Very cool!! Let’s show bad belle our rich culture and heritage worth emulating tongue

Thunder fire GRV

God bless Tinubu
God bless Sanwo
God bless Lagos
God bless Yorubaland
Dindinrin n din robo, afofun gbemu... Read wetin you read again u go see say nah igbe full ur brain
Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by JuanDeDios: 1:33pm On Apr 29
TotoIsGud4boy:

Thunder fire GRV

God bless Tinubu
God bless Sanwo
God bless Lagos
God bless Yorubaland
Not all cultures are rich or worth emulating. If you don't pick and choose the good ones, you're doing yourself.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by Ravenna: 1:34pm On Apr 29
Goodvibes007:
Growing up in Lagos and now living in America

- I miss the sound of the Oro and the songs the adherents chant when they are passing in Agege or In Iju Ishaga (Ifako Ijaiye - Lagos) all the way to Iju Ajuwon/Alagbole/Akute in Ogun state.

- I miss the Egun festivals in Mushin especially the Egun Snow (little boy) decked in all white costume and riding on a horse with thousands of followers behind him.

- I miss the eyo festivals in Lagos Island.

You must remember the" Igbale"- Masquerade house ar Ogba-Asade..

Agege boy fi life!

6 Likes

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by GloriousGbola: 1:34pm On Apr 29
Ishilove:

Praise be to oro, the last bastion of the African male. angry

If you like come out when we bring out oro.

Now get your big arse and bigger knock-ers back into the kitchen
angry

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by opamoses1: 1:34pm On Apr 29
VHILL:

This can never happen in Rivers state. Lagos is a primitive place
Rivers is made up of several tribes with varying cultures as well. Tell another lie. Don't ibos tell their women to drink chilled Omi Oku (water used in washing dead body) after the death of her husband and there are Ibos in some parts of Rivers.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by JuanDeDios: 1:35pm On Apr 29
greggng:
The day I came face to face with this oro people...Only God saved me
What happened?
Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by PARADIZEPRIEST: 1:37pm On Apr 29
chopnaira:

We Africans will take 1 day Oro over their men sleeping with men culture.
JUDGE NOT AMERICA,MOST AFRICAN ARE HYPOCRITES, THEY DONE HOLD ON TO ONE BELIEF, LIKE SOME PASTORS MIX THEIR PASTORING WITH WITCHCRAFT AND DIABOLICAL POWERS TO DO FAKE MIRACLES TO GARNER MEMBERS FOR MORE MONEY. angry Any tradition that threaten human lives is against GOD ALMIGHTY and antihumanity and must be curtailed.
Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by Appletek: 1:38pm On Apr 29
greggng:
The day I came face to face with this oro people...Only God saved me

Shebi you are one of those Obidients shouting Lagos is no man's land grin

4 Likes

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by PortHarcourtcit(m): 1:39pm On Apr 29
MrColdsweat:
Does this not infringe on the rights on Nigerians? How can you tell Nigerian women not to exercise their right to free movement because of your monkey traditions?
Respec your host, why is it that GBAJUE'S will always be ungrateful and hateful?...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by Lolachef(f): 1:39pm On Apr 29
Aswear I miss the sound too...my area then was Ajuwon.
Goodvibes007:

- I miss the sound of the Oro and the songs the adherents chant when they are passing in Agege or In Iju Ishaga (Ifako Ijaiye - Lagos) all the way to Iju Ajuwon/Alagbole/Akute in Ogun state.

- I miss the Egun festivals in Mushin especially the Egun Snow (little boy) decked in all white costume and riding on a horse with thousands of followers behind him.

4 Likes

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by ajepako(f): 1:41pm On Apr 29
Even before opening the thread,

I knew the Isemo would be in my mother's home town of Ikorodu

Jeez! Those people can observe Isemo eh!

That's why I just drive past my maternal home town and wave at them from the car window..

Na so so party and Isemo especially for those Itun-something: Itun-sokun, Itun-moja, Itun-pate, Itun-nla, Itu-meko

cheesy cheesy cheesy Epe for me anyday sha

4 Likes

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by rinaballa: 1:44pm On Apr 29
Or else wat
Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by flipdat(m): 1:44pm On Apr 29
plumcomm:
if them born their papa well make their mothers and sisters come outside,useless people don’t know more than disrespecting their hosts.they even do worst in their villages,some of them kill and eat their visitors.common to abide by the culture and tradition of their hosts they will become defiant…shayb na primitive and nzobu,make their wives come out on that day.
Internet tough guy
Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by boxypane(m): 1:45pm On Apr 29
AustineE1:
These people have chosen to remain in the dark ages,how can you deprive people of their right of movement,so women living in Ikorodu and are faced with emergency health challenges can not at that time access Ikorodo general hospital.Whats so special with this awkward Oro festival,the same Oro masquerade that muslim faithfuls beat the hell out of it,the last time it over stepped its boundary.Outright nonsense !
Dark ages? Oga embrace your tradition

3 Likes

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by FireUpNow(m): 1:48pm On Apr 29
It will come and go
Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by Konquest: 1:49pm On Apr 29
Ishilove:
Ishilove, how's it going? Did you know that even in your darling Ukwuani area of Anioma, the Oro type of festival exists just like in Ikorodu and elsewhere among the indigenous Yoruba folks of Nigeria, Benin Republic, and Togo? I got to know this from a well-educated woman who is also from Ukwuani but based in Lagos. She's okay with it though because it's part of the culture that has existed for centuries. As long as nobody gets killed, or injured and it's done for only a day with the restrictions at night, their space or boundaries should be respected.

The Japanese, Chinese, etc, still strongly celebrate their languages, cultural values and indigenous religions as of today and they are technologically advanced now.

6 Likes

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by yahoodetector: 1:49pm On Apr 29
Barbaric culture!
Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by IPIGSRSHALLOW: 1:50pm On Apr 29
AfghanEasterners who treat their women as second-class slave citizens too will be wailing and crying on the thread.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by Danboy43: 1:50pm On Apr 29
Goodvibes007:

I can come down for the festival
The date still far

3 Likes

Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by MrColdsweat: 1:50pm On Apr 29
PortHarcourtcit:
Respec your host, why is it that GBAJUE'S will always be ungrateful and hateful?...
Respect the rights of Nigerians you primitive monkey.
Re: Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 by IPIGSRSHALLOW: 1:51pm On Apr 29
Sergio103:
21st century??

Primitive people I share the country with

What can be more primitive and barbaric than CANNIBALISM?

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Somali Men Appreciation Thread / Why Every World Map You're Looking At Is wrong / Emir Sanusi Rides A Horse Home After Attending Eid El-fitr Prayers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.