Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,256 members, 7,815,392 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) - Culture (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) (97384 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Wikipedia In Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 23, 2011
Are they claiming to be the reall "ofenmanus" grin

*Damn, everytime I post, I start a new page" angry
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Are they claiming to be the reall "ofenmanus" grin

*Damn, everytime I post, I start a new page" angry

Tufiakwa!
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 7:57pm On Nov 23, 2011
mbatuku2:

Tufiakwa!

LOL you dey craze grin grin grin grin. Culture mix, that is life

I brought out an example of Fashola's clothing
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 8:02pm On Nov 23, 2011
For those that do research and PHD students. I am such you know that the most accurate references are Journals citations

The Egusi type is a non-hard-coat form of L.
siceraria mainly cultivated for the use of its seeds. Egusi
(in Yoruba language) refers to a group of cucurbit species
that produce protein and oil rich seeds

by E. G. Achigan-Dako

http://www.springerlink.com/content/2014006j826u4185/fulltext.pdf
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 8:04pm On Nov 23, 2011
also
On-farm yield potential of local seed watermelon landraces under heat-and drought-prone conditions in Mali

by
AD NANTOUMÉ, JL CHRISTIANSEN

Cucurbit species grown for their seed, including seed-type watermelons, are in several
West African countries popularly called egusi melons. The name originates from the Yoruba
language spoken in Nigeria, Benin and Togo

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8433793

this people are not yoruba or Nigerians but from other countries
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by odumchi: 8:21pm On Nov 23, 2011
What does me being a moderator have to do with my ability to partake in a peaceful discussion? That's what this forum is for. It is a place to discuss and spread knowledge about culture
Language or whatever it may be.

Anyway, coming from the guy who said that prior to 1910, Igbos were naked forest-dwellers, Your posts carry very little credibility. I've given you the truth whether or not you choose to believe it is up to you.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 8:29pm On Nov 23, 2011
alj_harem:

also
On-farm yield potential of local seed watermelon landraces under heat-and drought-prone conditions in Mali

by
AD NANTOUMÉ, JL CHRISTIANSEN

Cucurbit species grown for their seed, including seed-type watermelons, are in several
West African countries popularly called egusi melons. The name originates from the Yoruba
language spoken in Nigeria, Benin and Togo

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8433793

this people are not yoruba or Nigerians but from other countries

Here goes the revisionist again. Now they are trying to claim Igbo food. Na wa o for una! Go anywhere,anywhere!!!! In nigeria and ask them which tribe that egusi soup belong to they will say Igbo. Not even your own people will say it is yoruba! Lol. You people make me sick with laughter. You created everything.haha cheesy
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 8:32pm On Nov 23, 2011
You ask what does "Egusi" mean? That is the funniest thing i have ever heard,lol. Ok, what does Apple mean? What does Coconut mean? What does Dog mean? What does Name mean?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 23, 2011
tpia@:

when was that.

Before the arrival of Oduduwa. The ezechima groups who fled eastwards to Benin, and eventually leaving there to Anioma/Onitsha areas.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 8:39pm On Nov 23, 2011
For Alh and the rest of the revisionists/claimers. Go through this page and see for yourself. Learn about the names of our produce,etc. Start on page 369. You can go on page 368 just incase you think we "stole" any other foods as well.Best of wishes brother. wink:

http://74.6.117.48/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=igbo+food&fr=yfp-t-701&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=igbo+food&d=4752600705008366&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=12735aff,68b9adf1&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=3tibT6RD5mOjScDtNIdKXA--
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 8:49pm On Nov 23, 2011
mbatuku2:

Before the arrival of Oduduwa. The ezechima groups who fled eastwards to Benin, and eventually leaving there to Anioma/Onitsha areas.

I laugh at the whole oduduwa thing because they claim he is yoruba and Oduduwa(Odua,Oduwa) is a yoruba name/word,yet, it has no meaning in their language. The other story is that he is from Saudi Arabia, yet, there's nothing like or close to a name like Oduduwa(Odua, Oduwa) in Arabic.

I wonder why the name has a meaning in Igbo and so does it in Bini laguage, and both of those meanings are similar. . .hmmm? Can the yorubas expalin this one please? lipsrsealed
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 8:54pm On Nov 23, 2011
^^hey, sharrap.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 8:59pm On Nov 23, 2011
mbatuku2:

as you well know, there are owo axis migrants who are currently in delta state.

so most likely benin was a temporary stop on the road for people migrating from the west either for trade, war, on the slave route, or for whatever reason.

meaning most of these groups you mention might not necessarily have originated in benin. Or were probably mixed with yoruba.

in any case, your argument about igbo occupying the southwest is a fallacy and perhaps tongue in cheek?

or are you referring to obj who is said to be of igbo descent.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 9:14pm On Nov 23, 2011
odumchi:

What does me being a moderator have to do with my ability to partake in a peaceful discussion? That's what this forum is for. It is a place to discuss and spread knowledge about culture
Language or whatever it may be.

Anyway, coming from the guy who said that prior to 1910, Igbos were Unclad forest-dwellers, Your posts carry very little credibility. I've given you the truth whether or not you choose to believe it is up to you.

Now don't go there, they were Unclad during pre-colonail era

and infact you watch nollywood don't u

ask your great grand mother if I am lying or not
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 9:17pm On Nov 23, 2011
Chyz*:

For Alh and the rest of the revisionists/claimers. Go through this page and see for yourself. Learn about the names of our produce,etc. Start on page 369. You can go on page 368 just incase you think we "stole" any other foods as well.Best of wishes brother. wink:

http://74.6.117.48/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=igbo+food&fr=yfp-t-701&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=igbo+food&d=4752600705008366&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=12735aff,68b9adf1&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=3tibT6RD5mOjScDtNIdKXA--

again stop ur rubbish

give me a cited site that says egusi origin

let me give u another one

T[b]he fruit pulp of these cultivars is too bitter for human consumption. In West Africa they are called ‘egusi’, derived from the Yoruba language; in Wolof language (Senegal) they are called ‘beref’. In the Kalahari region, the seeds are considered a delicacy.

Correct citation of this article:
van der Vossen, H.A.M. & Denton, O.A. & El Tahir, I.M., 2004.[/b]

http://database.prota.org/PROTAhtml/Citrullus%20lanatus_En.htm

Egusi is a recent Igbo food
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem(m): 9:25pm On Nov 23, 2011
Chyz*:

dude show me cited sites or history books

if not just keep all those edited websites and links to urself

there is not EGUSI in Igbo, it is of recent due to Nigeria concept

Egusi in yoruba means, grind/crush it more / grind or crush the seed more

in sengal it is called agushi
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem1: 9:27pm On Nov 23, 2011
what does egusi means in Igbo ?

The Ijebus over hunderds of years use to call it ogiri egusi

a fermented form of egusi
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 9:36pm On Nov 23, 2011
alj harem.:

what does egusi means in Igbo ?

The Ijebus over hunderds of years use to call it ogiri egusi

a fermented form of egusi

Chyz*:

You ask what does "Egusi" mean? That is the funniest thing i have ever heard,lol. Ok, what does Apple mean? What does Coconut mean? What does Dog mean? What does Name mean?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 11:04pm On Nov 23, 2011
alj harem, I have to say, I am impressed.

Just dont let it get into your head.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 23, 2011
tpia@:

in any case, your argument about igbo occupying the southwest is a fallacy and perhaps tongue in cheek?

Are you insinuating that Yoruba historians and oral traditions are lying? I was simply referencing what local informants have been told by their forebears through oral traditions, and these people are yorubas.

Recently, historians have
attributed this cosmological
mythology to a pre-existing
civilization at Ilė-Ifę which was
invaded by a militant immigrants
from the east, led by a king
named Oduduwa. Oduduwa and
his group had been persecuted
on the basis of religious
differences and forced out of
their homeland. They came to Ilé-
Ifè where they came across
Oreluere and his people. Other
informants are convinced that
Oduduwa and his followers were
believed to have subjugated the
pre-existing Igbo whom local
informants relate to the present
Igbo people
, though this claim
has not been supported by
competent historians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Yoruba_people#cite_note-1
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 11:32pm On Nov 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

alj harem, I have to say, I am impressed.

Just dont let it get into your head.

Ahhh. How cute. trying to comfort your brother. It go betta sha! Right Alj?

And Alj haram looks at Ileke and says "That's why I love u, man" cry

[img]http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1340504875950&id=dab96c2cea8a9cbe567623f9b1d8281c[/img]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 11:33pm On Nov 23, 2011
^^^ Just learn from his post. Hard facts with his posts too.
Too impressed.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 11:37pm On Nov 23, 2011
Chyz*:

I laugh at the whole oduduwa thing because they claim he is yoruba and Oduduwa(Odua,Oduwa) is a yoruba name/word,yet, it has no meaning in their language. The other story is that he is from Saudi Arabia, yet, there's nothing like or close to a name like Oduduwa(Odua, Oduwa) in Arabic.

I wonder why the name has a meaning in Igbo and so does it in Bini laguage, and both of those meanings are similar. . .hmmm? Can the yorubas expalin this one please? lipsrsealed

You mean like Ọdụdụ nwa, last son?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 11:48pm On Nov 23, 2011
Egusi may be a shared word, like akara, but Okro is Igbo.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 12:08am On Nov 24, 2011
ezeagu:

I knew it, akara is igbo ko ?

akara is not a shared word at all, it was spread by the yorubas, and used today by every other group just like edikaong the vegetable soup of calabar.

every group calls it but it is a calabar word

okro or ogbono or apon depending on the place you are
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 12:12am On Nov 24, 2011
ezeagu:

Akara if a yoruba name used from benin to togo to nigeria and straight to brazilians, this places have little igbo connection. it has no connection with igbo at all

moreover what does akara mean in igbo

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1s-a7EMM6BgC&pg=PA159&dq=akara+yoruba&hl=en&ei=QH3NTtqaOsWo8AOGnd3KDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CEMQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=akara%20yoruba&f=false
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 12:35am On Nov 24, 2011
^^^^^Why are people taking this alJ_harem words seriously?  I find it funny.

Akara yoruba?  shocked shocked shocked Okra Yoruba? shocked shocked shocked shocked  Egusi yoruba? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked  Ogbono Yoruba? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked This thread opened my eyes on Yoruba people.  I have to retrace everything I thought belonged to Yoruba cause the amount of claim claim their children are doing is shocked shocked.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 12:38am On Nov 24, 2011
Okra is not Yoruba.

Ila is Yoruba.

As for Akara, any evidence to prove it's not Yoruba?

As for Egusi, def Yoruba.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 12:42am On Nov 24, 2011
As for Ogbono, who is insane neough to say it's not Yoruba?

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 12:50am On Nov 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Okra is not Yoruba.

Ila is Yoruba.

As for Akara, any evidence to prove it's not Yoruba?

As for Egusi, def Yoruba.

The name maybe, a bit doubtful since its also named egusi in Twi. The Egusi soup is not yoruba.

http://books.google.com/books?id=1s-a7EMM6BgC&pg=PA13&dq=Egusi+igbo&hl=en&ei=vIXNTtWhJ4Xn0QHl-NQX&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=Egusi%20igbo&f=false
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 12:52am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

The name maybe, a bit doubtful since its also named egusi in Twi.  The Egusi soup is not yoruba. 

http://books.google.com/books?id=1s-a7EMM6BgC&pg=PA13&dq=Egusi+igbo&hl=en&ei=vIXNTtWhJ4Xn0QHl-NQX&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=Egusi%20igbo&f=false

Telling us what it's called in other regions does not make it less Yoruba.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (28) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" / 'Manhood' Celebration In Edo, Topless Ladies Spotted At Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.