Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) - Culture (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) (97382 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Wikipedia In Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 12:52am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

^^^^^Why are people taking this alJ_harem words seriously?  I find it funny.

Akara yoruba?  shocked shocked shocked Okra Yoruba? shocked shocked shocked shocked  Egusi yoruba? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked  Ogbono Yoruba?  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked This thread opened my eyes on Yoruba people.  I have to retrace everything I thought belonged to Yoruba cause the amount of claim claim their children are doing is shocked shocked.

dude I believe you don't know how Igbo culture has been greatly influenced by Nigeria (same goes for others)

Go read Lugard on Nigeria book

Igbos migrated to lagos as early as 1950's and returned to the east back

AKARA Is not an Igbo food, even an ideeiot knows that

Akara orignated from Yoruba people

It is a stable food ever since in benin, togo Nigeria , brazil, cerlo people of serri leano and jamica

all this places have high concentrtion of yoruba people in relative purposes

even the brazilian, jamica  acknowleged to the yorubas

this was a book by Mary Ann S. Barber in 1857 on Trinidad Yoruba: from mother tongue to memory

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4O8CAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA15&dq=akara+yoruba&hl=en&ei=_n3NToikFIfi8QOL44DpCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CFAQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=akara%20yoruba&f=false

so tell me when yorubas knew Igbos in 1857 ?

I would urge you to please stop this display of ignorance and learn the TRUTH

it would take nothing away from you.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 12:55am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

The name maybe, a bit doubtful since its also named egusi in Twi.  The Egusi soup is not yoruba. 

http://books.google.com/books?id=1s-a7EMM6BgC&pg=PA13&dq=Egusi+igbo&hl=en&ei=vIXNTtWhJ4Xn0QHl-NQX&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=Egusi%20igbo&f=false

dude shut it I would type what your link wrote now

the seed egusi is native to africa, It is called agushi in twa, egusi in yoruba and agushi in Hausa also called ogili in ibo

Or is that not what your link u provided said ?

stop acting stu.pid if u have not read the link u provided
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 12:56am On Nov 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

As for Ogbono, who is insane neough to say it's not Yoruba?

shocked shocked shocked shocked

http://books.google.com/books?id=dnRvy5Q9TXoC&pg=PA140&lpg=PA140&dq=Ogbono+igbo&source=bl&ots=yXy4gZFCNl&sig=N5t6TGcMD_JTt4p-6u8gGfIK7Mo&hl=en&ei=BIfNTp7GE8Ln0QHv951M&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CFkQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=Ogbono%20igbo&f=false

Okay ooh. This claim claim okay ohh.

I learned something new today.

My eyes don open

Thank you Ileke-idi and cohorts.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 12:57am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

dude I believe you don't know how Igbo culture has been greatly influenced by Nigeria (same goes for others)

Go read Lugard on Nigeria book

Igbos migrated to lagos as early as 1950's and returned to the east back

AKARA Is not an Igbo food, even an ideeiot knows that

Akara orignated from Yoruba people

It is a stable food ever since in benin, togo Nigeria , brazil, cerlo people of serri leano and jamica

all this places have high concentrtion of yoruba people in relative purposes

even the brazilian, jamica  acknowleged to the yorubas

this was a book by Mary Ann S. Barber in 1857 on Trinidad Yoruba: from mother tongue to memory

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4O8CAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA15&dq=akara+yoruba&hl=en&ei=_n3NToikFIfi8QOL44DpCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CFAQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=akara%20yoruba&f=false

so tell me when yorubas knew Igbos in 1857 ?

I would urge you to please stop this display of ignorance and learn the TRUTH

it would take nothing away from you.

I did not say it was Igbo but Yoruba? LMFAO.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 12:58am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

http://books.google.com/books?id=dnRvy5Q9TXoC&pg=PA140&lpg=PA140&dq=Ogbono+igbo&source=bl&ots=yXy4gZFCNl&sig=N5t6TGcMD_JTt4p-6u8gGfIK7Mo&hl=en&ei=BIfNTp7GE8Ln0QHv951M&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CFkQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=Ogbono%20igbo&f=false

My eyes don open

thanks for that link, I would refer to it now

IT IS CALLED OGILI BUT SOPHISTICATED IGBOS CALL IT EGUSI

that was what your link said

which mean the civilised Igbos call it egusi and ofcourse that is explains why it is called egusi today in ala igbo isn't it ?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 12:59am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

dude shut it I would type what your link wrote now

the seed egusi is native to africa, It is called agushi in twi, egusi in yoruba and agushi in Hausa also called ogili in ibo

Or is that not what your link u provided said ?

stop acting stu.pid if u have not read the link u provided

The name is Yoruba and Twi but the soup is NOT.  Learn to read people words and don't pick and choose what you want.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 12:59am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

My eyes don open

You're welcome.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:00am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

I did not say it was Igbo but Yoruba? LMFAO.

you don't have to say anything, it is what it is

I don't understand why u are LMFAO, what is funny ?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:01am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

I said the name is Yoruba and Twi but the soup is NOT.  Learn to read people words and don't pick and choose what you want.

rubbish where in the link does it say the soup is not yoruba ?

Mr man, stop posting rubbish because u are just embarrassing urself, really
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 1:01am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

thanks for that link, I would refer to it now

IT IS CALLED OGILI BUT SOPHISTICATED IGBOS CALL IT EGUSI

that was what your link said

which mean the civilised Igbos call it egusi and ofcourse that is explains why it is called egusi today in ala igbo isn't it ?

Are you brain dead or what?  I'm talking about Ogbono, some 1diot is talking about Egusi.  Read carefully, read CAREFULLY.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 1:02am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

Are you brain dead or what?  I'm talking about Ogbono, some is talking about Egusi.  Read carefully, read CAREFULLY.

Damn, I was just about to ask you the same thing. So. . . . are you?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:03am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

Are you brain dead or what?  I'm talking about Ogbono, some  is talking about Egusi.  Read carefully, read CAREFULLY.
Ogbono is not a yoruba word as I can think of, I know it is called Apon which Yorubas still call it.

infact I rather think of ogbono as a bini word or food.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 1:06am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

rubbish where in the link does it say the soup is not yoruba ?

Mr man, stop posting rubbish because u are just embarrassing urself, really

ASK ANYONE IN NIGERIA THE ORIGINS OF EGUSI SOUP? It's Igbo and Eastern Nigeria.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 1:09am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

you don't have to say anything, it is what it is

I don't understand why u are LMFAO, what is funny ?

You lots are funny. You claim things that isn't yours just because you gave it a name.

I learned something today, I never knew thats a yoruba attribution
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:11am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

ASK ANYONE IN NIGERIA THE ORIGINS OF EGUSI SOUP? It's Igbo and Eastern Nigeria.

I have asked and the respond is not IGBO. In fact that is why I came online to tackle such claims

so anyone does that equate to Igbo people ?

Only an ignoramus would say such
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 1:11am On Nov 24, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Damn, I was just about to ask myself the same thing. So. . . . am I?

Was I talking to you?  '

Well I fixed your question for you

let me answer it: Yes, you are Ileke-idi.  Yes you are and i pity you.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:17am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

You lots are funny.  You claim things that isn't yours just because you gave it a name.  

I learned something today,  I never knew thats a yoruba attribution

Dude i think u are starting to sound like an ideeiot. really

what do you mean, the FACTS are there unless you want to be like Nayah that disclaim facts and chooses what she thinks is right.

well life does not work that way. What it is; is what it is.

It did not originate for Igbo land, it was an adopted culture for the yorubas and hausa

learn to separate facts for your wishes STOP CLAIMING THE ORIGIN OF EVERYTHING TO BE FROM IGBOLAND because it is not.

what should we talk about again Moi-moi, agbada, gele, fila or what

all this are adopted cultures which is bad and there is nothing wrong in it, Just don't change hsitory to fit your style because you would be disgracing your people and urself as well.

Facts are Facts and I did not say anything from my sources or head but from Journals and cited sites. History books as well not from a cook website
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:18am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

Was I talking to you?  '

Well I fixed your question for you

let me answer it: Yes, you are Ileke-idi.  Yes you are and i pity you.

what do you mean u were not talking to her ?

we are in a discussion and it is an open forum isn't it.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 1:22am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

I have asked and the respond is not IGBO. In fact that is why I came online to tackle such claims

so anyone does that equate to Igbo people ?

Only an ignoramus would say such

My friend if you are going to lie,  lie well.  Go back few pages and see the first person that talked about soups.  He's not Igbo

Articles written by Nigerians.
http://www.imdiversity.com/villages/global/Global_Kitchen/EgusiSoup.asp
http://www.justushealthyeatingnigeriandiets.com/Nigerianfoodrecipes.html
http://eatsfromnigeria./tag/egusi-soup/

Carry on with the claim claim. More grease to una elbows.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:25am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

My friend if you are going to lie,  lie well.  Go back few pages and see the first person that talked about soups.  He's not Igbo

Carry on with the claim claim. More grease to una elbows.

another silly cooking website, Imagine discussing about history and someone is bring out sites like "how to cook egusi soup" , "just eating nigerian", " eat nigeria"

SMH, dude go sleep. I am done with u until u bring out concrete evidence to claim otherwise.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:28am On Nov 24, 2011
I mean this One Naira dude is silly

You brough an edited website that claims Igbos = pounded yam

even worse Ewedu soup = egusi soup in yoruba

how silly really
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 1:29am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

Dude i think u are starting to sound like an ideeiot. really

what do you mean, the FACTS are there unless you want to be like Nayah that disclaim facts and chooses what she thinks is right.

well life does not work that way. What it is; is what it is.

It did not originate for Igbo land, it was an adopted culture for the yorubas and hausa

learn to separate facts for your wishes STOP CLAIMING THE ORIGIN OF EVERYTHING TO BE FROM IGBOLAND because it is not.

what should we talk about again Moi-moi, agbada, gele, fila or what

all this are adopted cultures which is bad and there is nothing wrong in it, Just don't change hsitory to fit your style because you would be disgracing your people and urself as well.

Facts are Facts and I did not say anything from my sources or head but from Journals and cited sites. History books as well not from a cook website

If you are going to accuse me of something then accuse me of something I ACTUALLY SAID.   Biko point where did I, one_naira, claim Akara is an Igbo creation.  undecided  

A Fictional story is now FACTS.  I hear am.  

As I said you lots are funny.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:31am On Nov 24, 2011
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 1:34am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

another silly cooking website, Imagine discussing about history and someone is bring out sites like "how to cook egusi soup" , "just eating nigerian", " eat nigeria"

SMH, dude go sleep. I am done with u until u bring out concrete evidence to claim otherwise.

I think something is wrong with your head.  I ask again are you brain dead or what?

One_naira
ASK ANYONE IN NIGERIA THE ORIGINS OF EGUSI SOUP?It's Igbo or Eastern Nigerian

The yoruba masking Alaji

One_naira

The yoruba pretender
another silly cooking website

Okay, you are dismissing other Nigerian claim despite saying you've asked all Nigerians and they said IT IS NOT igbo just because it did not agree with you.  SMH.  Typical hypocritical attitude.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Jenifa1: 1:34am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

The name maybe, a bit doubtful since its also named egusi in Twi.  The Egusi soup is not yoruba.  

http://books.google.com/books?id=1s-a7EMM6BgC&pg=PA13&dq=Egusi+igbo&hl=en&ei=vIXNTtWhJ4Xn0QHl-NQX&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=Egusi%20igbo&f=false

stop quoting a book that was published in 2005! you can't compare it to one written in 1857 about yorubas.
and besides the recent book you quoted said only "westernized igbos" used the word. aka they lived in lagos. lol

egusi is most certainly a yoruba word.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by jason123: 1:35am On Nov 24, 2011
Alhaji brought out cited journals (anyone that passed through a quality university would know what that means. In case you don't, ask Nchara or SE or whatever he calls himself these days)
One_naira brought out "websites"

How in the world can a "website" claim defeat cited journals undecided undecided.
Hahahaa grin grin

Alhaji, you are not as stupi.d as people think! smiley
Welldone!
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:36am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

If you are going to accuse me of something then accuse me of something I ACTUALLY SAID.   Biko point where did I, one_naira, claim Akara is an Igbo creation.  undecided  

A Fictional story is now FACTS.  I hear am.  

As I said you lots are funny.  

You exclaimmated in shock according to ur e-icon and I had the feeling u were thinking my claims are false. Thus I had to reply to it also give that ezeagu is calling akara a shared word but we know every shared word food etc has an origin and here is one.

Of course only a mad man would say Isi ewu is hausa or so or suya is igbo or yoruba etc.

One_Naira:

^^^^^Why are people taking this alJ_harem words seriously?  I find it funny.

Akara yoruba?  shocked shocked shocked Okra Yoruba? shocked shocked shocked shocked  Egusi yoruba? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked  Ogbono Yoruba?  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked This thread opened my eyes on Yoruba people.  I have to retrace everything I thought belonged to Yoruba cause the amount of claim claim their children are doing is shocked shocked.

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 1:36am On Nov 24, 2011
Random internet websites and books are not "cited journals".
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:38am On Nov 24, 2011
One_Naira:

I think something is really wrong your head.  I ask again are you brain dead or what?

One_naira
The yoruba masking Alaji
One_naira
The yoruba pretender
Okay, you are dismissing other Nigerian claim despite saying you've asked all Nigerians and they said IT IS NOT igbo just because it did not agree with you.  SMH.  Typical hypocritical attitude.

Usual ranting from an ideeiot

we had a discussion, yet you are calling me a yoruba pretender

should I allow u to wallow in ur ignorance or what ?

maybe you missed the place i posted Igbo influence on other cultures which inculdes yoruba. Again go sleep
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 1:38am On Nov 24, 2011
Jenifa_:

stop quoting a book that was published in 2005! you can't compare it to one written in 1857 about yorubas.
and besides the recent book you quoted said only "westernized igbos" used the word. aka they lived in lagos. lol

egusi is most certainly a yoruba word.

where did I disclaim that?  I said the name is Yoruba, THE SOUP IS NOT YORUBA.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 1:40am On Nov 24, 2011
alj_harem:

Usual ranting from an ideeiot

we had a discussion, yet you are calling me a yoruba pretender

should I allow u to wallow in my ignorance or what ?

maybe you missed the place i posted Igbo influence on other cultures which inculdes yoruba. Again go sleep

We all are aware you are yoruba so lets not even go there.

Fixed your question for you and the answer is yes you can. I do not care what you do with your life.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Jenifa1: 1:40am On Nov 24, 2011
I see what u mean.

I know igbos have a special "egusi soup" recipe that's igbo.
yorubas also have special "egusi soup" "obe egusi" that's yoruba.

but the word egusi itself is yoruba.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" / 'Manhood' Celebration In Edo, Topless Ladies Spotted At Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.