Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,689 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:14 PM

Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. (9533 Views)

The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. / Ekele (greetings, Well-wishing, Compliments, Regard, Salutation) In Igbo Culture / Showcasing Igbo culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by AndreUweh(m): 11:09pm On Nov 21, 2011
There are so many shrines in Igboland and Eastern Nigeria. Does the works and and actions of these shrines portray justice. Do you believe they really exist. Who are the oppressed and who are the oppressors in Igboland. Who patronises this shrines or makes them relevant?.
Ndigbo believe that Almighty God is the only perfect justice; but what narrow mindedness do Igbo men have toward these shrines?
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by AndreUweh(m): 11:18pm On Nov 21, 2011
The Igbo worldview is the belief that shrines are existing beings here on earth before human beings. They are more powerful than man. They are more powerful than any Igbo because they are in charge of natural occurences. Ndigbo believes that they obey God in disharging their duties.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:25am On Nov 22, 2011
I dont know if they are existing beings but I know for sure that there is powers in them, and yes they did brought justice and peace to our society.
Just like the way man fears God so does our forefathers feared these shrines.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by AndreUweh(m): 1:15pm On Nov 22, 2011
The traditional Igbo society believe that this shrines are not evil or idol made by man to be worshipped. How is shrines understood by Ndigbo of today?.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by Okijajuju1(m): 4:12pm On Nov 22, 2011
Shrines play an important part in our core traditions and beliefs.

They are used to settle disputes and also to swear oaths.

Up until recently when the priests of these shrines and deities started becoming greedy, the Eze mmuo was considered the voice of God and his opinions on an issue were often as strong as the law itself.

Today, this culture is fading due to the westernization of our culture.

TBC. . . . .
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by HISchild: 4:22pm On Nov 22, 2011
"For the LORD is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens. Honour and majesty are before him: strength and beauty are in his sanctuary." - Psa 96:4-6

"He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he." - Deut 32:4
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by ifyalways(f): 4:28pm On Nov 22, 2011
^Some of us take neither shrine nor its messengers/messages serious cos:
Of the advent of the white man and his religion.
we now have one too many of shrines with different and conflicting stands/solutions when presented with an issue.The shrines are not spared of corruption.
we have become lazy or the gods are not blessing us enough anymore as we cant afford to meet up with their constant demands for sacrifice.
^Just Generally speaking oh,not my personal conviction.

Have anyone of us been to Nando?I was there in the early nineties by God,they have more than enough shrines to go round and protect the whole Igboland.Can't help but wonder if things are still same there . . .
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by awuf2008: 4:41pm On Nov 22, 2011
Igbo man and shrines are inseparable and It must have been beneficial to them. But God is Supreme.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by Johnpaul2k2(m): 4:44pm On Nov 22, 2011
Andre Uweh:

There are so many shrines in Igboland and Eastern Nigeria. Does the works and and actions of these shrines portray justice. Do you believe they really exist. Who are the oppressed and who are the oppressors in Igboland. Who patronises this shrines or makes them relevant?.
Ndigbo believe that Almighty God is the only perfect justice; but what narrow mindedness do Igbo men have toward these shrines?
Shrines is everywhere , including your village. so watch ya mouth angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by Johnpaul2k2(m): 4:45pm On Nov 22, 2011
awuf2008:

Igbo man and shrines are inseparable and It must have been beneficial to them. But God is Supreme.
shu.t your stoooooooooooooopid mouth
ewu angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 4:50pm On Nov 22, 2011
gbam
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 22, 2011
Andre Uweh:

I thought you are all devout catholics. So, you visit the shrine on Saturday and attend mass on Sunday?
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by AndreUweh(m): 5:34pm On Nov 22, 2011
Aigbofa:

I thought you are all devout catholics. So, you visit the shrine on Saturday and attend mass on Sunday?
Not all Ndigbo are catholics. Some belong to the Anglican communion, Methodist, Saviours Evangelical mission, E.C.W.A, Cherubim, Igbo trad religion etc.
Note that Ndigbo do not worship wood, stone and other relics in those shrines. It seems in your own part of the world, it is the other way round.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by AndreUweh(m): 5:41pm On Nov 22, 2011
HISchild:

"For the LORD is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens. Honour and majesty are before him: strength and beauty are in his sanctuary." - Psa 96:4-6

"He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he." - Deut 32:4
This thread is about bringing justice to the society. Shrines in Igbolands is not idol to my understanding then the oppressed is right to seek redress and refuge in them. Don't you think so?.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 22, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Not all Ndigbo are catholics. Some belong to the Anglican communion, Methodist, Saviours Evangelical mission, E.C.W.A, Cherubim, Igbo trad religion etc.
Note that Ndigbo do not worship wood, stone and other relics in those shrines. It seems in your own part of the world, it is the other way round.

A shrine is a shrine regardless of what you worship there, even if the venerated object is a dead body.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Nov 22, 2011
Andre Uweh:

This thread is about bringing justice to the society. Shrines in Igbolands is not idol to my understanding then the oppressed is right to seek redress and refuge in them. Don't you think so?.

Isn't that what Okija was all about?
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by AndreUweh(m): 5:53pm On Nov 22, 2011
Aigbofa:

Isn't that what Okija was all about?
Shrines are concerned about sanity but man on earth has been violating the environment they met intact including shrines. I do not know much about Okija but what I mean here is that everything, we also have fakes.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:00pm On Nov 22, 2011
I think we Igbos shuld modify our shrines by  removing all the fetishes and inhuman items attached to it and modernizing it and making them a temple with a house where we worship "CHUKWU OKIKE“

Chei!! My mumm is gonna weep if she hear me say above things!! Lol

1 Like

Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 22, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

I think we Igbos shuld modify our shrines by removing all the fetishes and inhuman items attached to it and modernizing it and making them a temple with a house where we worship "CHUKWU OKIKE“

LOL
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by awuf2008: 6:07pm On Nov 22, 2011
Johnpaul2k2:

shu.t your stoooooooooooooopid mouth
ewu angry angry angry angry angry

You shut your useless trap and how dare you. Am sure you are a member of one of those shrines in question and hell is guaranteed for you.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:10pm On Nov 22, 2011
Left for me I will reintroduce the Nri socio-cultural ideology,which kept us holy and fearful of the wrath of the Almighty Chukwu Okike !!
I would like the Igbos to go back to when they used make sacrifices(ichu aja),the ancient Ozo purification which made men of title not to lie,cheat on their wife,stay out late at night,getting drunk,stealing your neighbors land and among other commandments tha made Nri Religion the most feared and Sacred!!

1 Like

Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by AndreUweh(m): 6:14pm On Nov 22, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

I think we Igbos shuld modify our shrines by  removing all the fetishes and inhuman items attached to it and modernizing it and making them a temple with a house where we worship "CHUKWU OKIKE“

Your ideas are noted, however me thinks that the relics found in those places has a symbolism. They are also not worshipped in Igboland.

1 Like

Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:19pm On Nov 22, 2011
ifyalways:

^Some of us take neither shrine nor its messengers/messages serious cos:
Of the advent of the white man and his religion.
we now have one too many of shrines with different and conflicting stands/solutions when presented with an issue.The shrines are not spared of corruption.
we have become lazy or the gods are not blessing us enough anymore as we cant afford to meet up with their constant demands for sacrifice.
^Just Generally speaking oh,not my personal conviction.

Have anyone of us been to Nando?I was there in the early nineties by God,they have more than enough shrines to go round and protect the whole Igboland.Can't help but wonder if things are still same there . . .

Ify, have you been to Nteje Dont mess with Nteje !! They refuse to let white man religion influence them.
There Ozo title is not to play with!! Pete Edochie is from there.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:33pm On Nov 22, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Your ideas are noted, however me thinks that the relics found in those places has a symbolism. They are also not worshipped in Igboland.

Andre, if you insist on keeping those relics you will be scaring some people away and you know why! You have to introduce a different method, the one the modern Igbos can relate to and accept.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by Sike(m): 6:40pm On Nov 22, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:50pm On Nov 22, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Left for me I will reintroduce the Nri socio-cultural ideology,which kept us holy and fearful of the wrath of the Almighty Chukwu Okike !!
I would like the Igbos to go back to when they used make sacrifices(ichu aja),the ancient Ozo purification which made men of title not to lie,cheat on their wife,stay out late at night,getting drunk,stealing your neighbors land and among other commandments tha made Nri Religion the most feared and Sacred!!

[size=32pt]MY IGBO BROTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS TIME TO RETURN TO THE GODS.[/size]

it is your duty people, to bring back these Shrines from the shadows and to give them their due respect that they deserve. please consider what you have to lost by neglecting yourself and your identity by neglecting these sacred elements of your society. please consider.

[size=38pt]BRAVE IGBO WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!! DEFENDERS OF YOUR TRIBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DRIVE OUT THE SCOURGE OF CHRISTIANITY AWAY FROM NIGERIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by ChinenyeN(m): 6:52pm On Nov 22, 2011
Oyibo succeeded very well. All they had to do was say the word "pagan" and instantaneously whole institutions are de-legitimized.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by ifyalways(f): 7:25pm On Nov 22, 2011
@Nri,I have been to Nteje and its pretty much same . . .all the way to Anam.

Are we missing the shrines and messengers of chukwu okike?I think not! Our brothers pay and import preachers who claim that the shrines our fathers served are "direct links to generational curses and sources of failure" hence they should be burnt,wiped and cast out.

The few shrines left are either serving themselves or dashed out to churches(large expanse of land for Free,WOW).Little wonder God is white,satan is black.

LOL
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by richjohn1(m): 7:57pm On Nov 22, 2011
@ifyalways

I nearly rolled on the floor, after reading your post grin. Really the white man's Jesus is so powerful we've lost our identities, am on a research and the things I find are absolutely amazing. I'm tracing all the movement of the yoruba and ibo slaves during the trans-atlantic slavery period and the results am getting are amazing. The yoruba and ibos descedant in brazil, jamaica, cuba and the carribeans held on to their gods and beliefs while we at home has carried Islam and christianity on our head. I think the yoruba descedants held more firmly to their gods and divinities that you still hear, sango <chango>,ogun etc and the rest in those countries today. The white man is a master in making other races feel inferior!

Well I believe in God sha, The first cause, the one before the big-b.ang, the ultimate and all wise Supreme Being!
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by AndreUweh(m): 9:48pm On Nov 22, 2011
rich_john:

@ifyalways

I nearly rolled on the floor, after reading your post grin. Really the white man's Jesus is so powerful we've lost our identities, am on a research and the things I find are absolutely amazing. I'm tracing all the movement of the yoruba and ibo slaves during the trans-atlantic slavery period and the results am getting are amazing. The yoruba and ibos descedant in brazil, jamaica, cuba and the carribeans held on to their gods and beliefs while we at home has carried Islam and christianity on our head. I think the yoruba descedants held more firmly to their gods and divinities that you still hear, sango <chango>,ogun etc and the rest in those countries today. The white man is a master in making other races feel inferior!

Well I believe in God sha, The first cause, the one before the big-b.ang, the ultimate and all wise Supreme Being!
When I introduced this thread, I did not type Ibo. Why not spell Igbo as others have done.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by AndreUweh(m): 9:59pm On Nov 22, 2011
Personally, am not against the advent of Christianity in Igboland, my worry is that the christian justice system has failed the Igbo nation. Or politicians are so corrupt because we have not applied the shrine system to deter them. Richmen steal from the poor and yet nothing happens. Our christian brothers will only tell the poor that God's time is the best.
In relation to the shrine system, I have not seen or heard of any person punished by shrine without him bringing about it
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by richjohn1(m): 11:23pm On Nov 22, 2011
@Andre_uweh

Am kinda of curious, please enlighten me on the difference between 'ibo' and 'igbo' and BTW your sounding so touchy! Or I should leave your igbo thread?
Very funny

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Does Not Have A Word For Tiger, Ekun Can Be Used To Describe Big Cats / Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture. / Where Did The Colonial Masters Get The Name Nigeria From ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.