Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. (9553 Views)

The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. / Ekele (greetings, Well-wishing, Compliments, Regard, Salutation) In Igbo Culture / Showcasing Igbo culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by AndreUweh(m): 11:53pm On Nov 22, 2011
rich_john:

@Andre_uweh

Am kinda of curious, please enlighten me on the difference between 'ibo' and 'igbo' and BTW your sounding so touchy! Or I should leave your igbo thread?
Very funny
Your contributions are welcomed. For the purpose of this thread, maintain Igbo at all time and that is what it is. The issue of Igbo or Ibo has been discussed a lot in this forum. You hardly see any Igbo or any elite Igbo who spells Ibo.
Back to the thread,
There are so many oppressors in our society and the oppressed will resort for shrine intervention. Most of the time the oppressors will refuse going to the shrines claiming religious. Some of the defaulters always have strong voices because they know people on top seats of authority. You can agree with me that most Ndigbo want instant action , which can only be obtained in shrines.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by igboboy1(m): 8:37am On Nov 23, 2011
I weep for my people, ndi ocha don colonize una wella to the point that you detest your own culture, Shame on all those of you with Inferiority complex, Nowadays I see igbos with afa ndi ocha, There is serious ALU in the land chai tufiakwa, all these priests should stop attacking our culture ah ah angry angry
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by ONAIgbo: 8:54am On Nov 23, 2011
[size=16pt]Otu Nzọpụta Asụsụ Igbo [/size] (ONAIgbo)

Nke a Bụ Ọkwa Dị Ezigbo Nkpa, nke sitere n'aka ndị ONAIgbo.

Igbo bụ Igbo, ekelee m ụnụ.

Ọ bụ oke ihe nwute na anyị hapụrụ asụsụ anyị, o wee na achọ ila n’efu . Ọkwa mba dị iche iche na asụ asụsụ ha? Asụsụ ndị Bekee dịrị ha, nke ndị Japanụ dịrị ha. Ndị Chaina, ndị Fụrenchị, nakwa ndị Ndia na asụgbado asụsụ ha n’otu n’otu.

A bịa na obodo Naijiriya, asụsụ ndị Yoruba dịrị ha, nke ndị Awụsa dịrị ha. Ndi Ịjọ n’asụ be ha, ndị Tivi nakwa asụ be ha.

Igbo bụ Igbo bikonụ, a sịrị m ka m jụọ; gịnị mere asụsụ anyị? Kedụ ka anyị ga esi na aza ndị Igbo, mana anyị amaghị Igbo asụ? Igbo bụ Igbo, ọ bụrụ na anyị ejighị ehihie were chọọ ewu dị oji, ọbụ na chi jie ka anyị ga achọtanwu ya? Igbo na aba aha sị, AHAMEFỤLA! Ndị asụsụ ha furu efu, bụ ndị aha ha furu efu. Ọ bụrụ na asụsụ Igbo fue, ndị Igbo efuela!

Chineke ekwela ihe ọjọọ. Ọ ga ajọgbu udele na njọ, ma sigbukwa nkakwụ na isi, ma ọ bụrụ na anyị hapụ asụsụ anyị ka ọ nwụọ.

Ọ na bụ m hụcha, edemede ụfọdụ a na edezi ugbua na aha asụsụ Igbo, anya miri anachọzị ịgba m. Echekwara m na anyị bụ ndị nwere akọ na uche? Biko nụ, ka anyị were otu obi, were nebaokwua anya.

ONAIgbo (Otu Nzọpụta Asụsụ Igbo), bụ otu ndị ihe gbasara ya bụ ajọ ọnọdụ asụsụ anyị nọ ugbua na e metụ n'obi rinne.

Na mgbe na adịghị anya, anyị ga eme ka ụnụ mata atụmatụ nakwa ebu m n'obi anyi gbasara ihe anyị nile ga eme, ka asụsụ anyị were dikwa ndụ ọzọ.

Ndewo nụ!

ONAIgbo kwenu! Igbo bụ asụsụ ọma!
ONAIgbo kwenu! Asụsụ anyị ga adịrị anyị!.
Igbo kwezuenu! Ọ gadịrị Igbo nma.

Kwado ONAIgbo.
Kpọtụrụ anyị na:
Igwe nkparị ụka (Kpọọ anyị ma ọbụ zitere anyị edemede): 0810 483 5458 (ngwụ, asatọ, otu, ngwụ, anọ, asatọ, atọ, ise, anọ, ise, asatọ)
Detara anyị ozi na "onaigbo@yahoo.com".
Anyị nọkwa na Akwụkwọ Ihu (http://www.facebook.com/ONAIgbo)
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by Okijajuju1(m): 9:11am On Nov 23, 2011
Frankly, Apart from colonization, greed also destroyed most of our shrines!

Shrines were our justice system of old, used to settle disputes, appeal to the gods for favor and also to offer sacrifices of thanks. It used to be that the priests were only seen outside on rare occasions. But thanks to greed, our high priests started using their powers for selfish reasons.

I remember hearing stories from my grandpa of how human sacrifices used to be offered every year for a bountiful harvest that season and that indeed the gods were always faithful and blessed them with adequate rainfall and sunshine. Also how land disputes, family disputes and even matrimonial disputes were settled and judged by the priests. I remember not too long ago in my village when a mother accused her daughter-in-law of using witchcraftcy to hold her son down. That case was taken to the Igwes palace and the chief priest (Eze Mmuo) was sent for. After much, the priest made every party swear an oath that anyone of them who planned evil for the next would face the wrath of the gods, and it did work.

Another example of "The justice of the gods" is the rule on stealing. Now if I am hungry, I can walk into another mans farm without his/her consent and harvest food and eat. Now the rules of the land says, I can only harvest just enough food to fill my tummy and no more than that. However, should I take more than I can eat there and then, I will face the wrath of the gods who will afflict me with an ailment. Lovely rule if you ask me.

Now culturally, the priests play a very important role. Up until the westernization of our cultures and traditions, The priest used to be the only representative of the gods at new yam festival, traditional weddings and such. BUT nowadays, we now have cathlolic priests and other such pastors offering thanks to the gods at our traditional festivals, this is not right. Some things should be kept sacred.

The priiests also played an important role in removing a sitting king, interceeding on the behalf of the commuinity to avert an impending disaster, cleanse the land of reproach borne as a result of an abominable act, interceed for expectant mothers and generally look out for the spiritual interest of the commuinity.

The beauty of our traditional justice system was that justice was swift and fair (atleast until before greed set in).

The only downside to this system was the offering of human sacrifices. Example in Calabar where Twins were considered an anathema, or an autistic child was thrown into the evil forest to die and other such practices that go against human rights.

The old days where indeed better.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by phillipe: 11:37am On Nov 23, 2011
Otu Nzọpụta Asụsụ Igbo (ONAIgbo)

Nke a Bụ Ọkwa Dị Ezigbo Nkpa, nke sitere n'aka ndị ONAIgbo.

Igbo bụ Igbo, ekelee m ụnụ.

Ọ bụ oke ihe nwute na anyị hapụrụ asụsụ anyị, o wee na achọ ila n’efu . Ọkwa mba dị iche iche na asụ asụsụ ha? Asụsụ ndị Bekee dịrị ha, nke ndị Japanụ dịrị ha. Ndị Chaina, ndị Fụrenchị, nakwa ndị Ndia na asụgbado asụsụ ha n’otu n’otu.

A bịa na obodo Naijiriya, asụsụ ndị Yoruba dịrị ha, nke ndị Awụsa dịrị ha. Ndi Ịjọ n’asụ be ha, ndị Tivi nakwa asụ be ha.

Igbo bụ Igbo bikonụ, a sịrị m ka m jụọ; gịnị mere asụsụ anyị? Kedụ ka anyị ga esi na aza ndị Igbo, mana anyị amaghị Igbo asụ? Igbo bụ Igbo, ọ bụrụ na anyị ejighị ehihie were chọọ ewu dị oji, ọbụ na chi jie ka anyị ga achọtanwu ya? Igbo na aba aha sị, AHAMEFỤLA! Ndị asụsụ ha furu efu, bụ ndị aha ha furu efu. Ọ bụrụ na asụsụ Igbo fue, ndị Igbo efuela!

Chineke ekwela ihe ọjọọ. Ọ ga ajọgbu udele na njọ, ma sigbukwa nkakwụ na isi, ma ọ bụrụ na anyị hapụ asụsụ anyị ka ọ nwụọ.

Ọ na bụ m hụcha, edemede ụfọdụ a na edezi ugbua na aha asụsụ Igbo, anya miri anachọzị ịgba m. Echekwara m na anyị bụ ndị nwere akọ na uche? Biko nụ, ka anyị were otu obi, were nebaokwua anya.

ONAIgbo (Otu Nzọpụta Asụsụ Igbo), bụ otu ndị ihe gbasara ya bụ ajọ ọnọdụ asụsụ anyị nọ ugbua na e metụ n'obi rinne.

Na mgbe na adịghị anya, anyị ga eme ka ụnụ mata atụmatụ nakwa ebu m n'obi anyi gbasara ihe anyị nile ga eme, ka asụsụ anyị were dikwa ndụ ọzọ.

Ndewo nụ!

ONAIgbo kwenu! Igbo bụ asụsụ ọma!
ONAIgbo kwenu! Asụsụ anyị ga adịrị anyị!.
Igbo kwezuenu! Ọ gadịrị Igbo nma.

Kwado ONAIgbo.
Kpọtụrụ anyị na:
Igwe nkparị ụka (Kpọọ anyị ma ọbụ zitere anyị edemede): 0810 483 5458 (ngwụ, asatọ, otu, ngwụ, anọ, asatọ, atọ, ise, anọ, ise, asatọ)
Detara anyị ozi na "onaigbo@yahoo.com".
Anyị nọkwa na Akwụkwọ Ihu (http://www.facebook.com/ONAIgbo)

Nice! you for spell your facebook address for igbo nau grin
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by Kilode1: 1:46pm On Nov 23, 2011
May Amadioha strengthen the hands of my Igbo people. Time to chase out foreign gods folks.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by oludashmi(f): 2:42pm On Nov 23, 2011
Aigbofa:

I thought you are all devout catholics. So, you visit the shrine on Saturday and attend mass on Sunday?

grin grin grin grin grin grin No they are all born again Christians and do not commit sin/adultery

Andre Uweh:

Not all Ndigbo are catholics. Some belong to the Anglican communion, Methodist, Saviours Evangelical mission, E.C.W.A, Cherubim, Igbo trad religion etc.
Note that Ndigbo do not worship wood, stone and other relics in those shrines. It seems in your own part of the world, it is the other way round.

Oh, so they worship the almighty God in the shrines lipsrsealed. Thank God we now know.
What about all the stones, woods and other objects that are being bowed for and painted in colours, labelled with feathers or greased in palm oil in all your shrines? Please give us a public relations lecture on them as regards alaigbo.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by AndreUweh(m): 3:18pm On Nov 23, 2011
oludashmi:

grin grin grin grin grin grin No they are all born again Christians and do not commit sin/adultery

Oh, so they worship the almighty God in the shrines lipsrsealed. Thank God we now know.
What about all the stones, woods and other objects that are being bowed for and painted in colours, labelled with feathers or greased in palm oil in all your shrines? Please give us a public relations lecture on them as regards alaigbo.

No one here has stated that Ndigbo are all born again christians, neither has anyone claimed that they are all christians. It seems you have lost your reading glasses again.
No one bows to those relics in Igboland. Ndigbo has always worshipped God before the advent of christianity. Shrines are not places Ndigbo worship God. They can worship God anywhere.
The purpose of those shrines mostly in Igboland is for justice attainment. One may find out about strange occurences also.
But you have to be careful when you visit the shrines as they are sacred.
Note that I did not start this thread to lecture anyone about the activities of shrines in Igboland, but to debate on the way forward for justice in Igboland as congregational prayers and modern day court judiciary systems have been slow in acting.
I did not start this thread that am an authority in that field but to learn also from fellow Ndigbo.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by oludashmi(f): 9:32am On Nov 24, 2011
Andre Uweh:

No one here has stated that Ndigbo are all born again christians, neither has anyone claimed that they are all christians. It seems you have lost your reading glasses again.
No one bows to those relics in Igboland. Ndigbo has always worshipped God before the advent of christianity. Shrines are not places Ndigbo worship God. They can worship God anywhere.
The purpose of those shrines mostly in Igboland is for justice attainment. One may find out about strange occurences also.
But you have to be careful when you visit the shrines as they are sacred.
Note that I did not start this thread to lecture anyone about the activities of shrines in Igboland, but to debate on the way forward for justice in Igboland as congregational prayers and modern day court judiciary systems have been slow in acting.
I did not start this thread that am an authority in that field but to learn also from fellow Ndigbo.

You ehn? You can never disappoint me! grin grin
The purpose of shrines is to bring justice. Not to kill or rituals cheesy cheesy cheesy
Igbos are all christians, they are not prone to adultery and sins, infact they were all born speaking in tongues. . .that has always been the self-deceptive messages of your brothers.
Since you started this thread to debate on the way forward in your populous shrines amidst your countless sins, pls establish more shrines to fulfill your purpose. I'm sure many of us will be generous enough to name your new shrines without charges. wink
Take care sha.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:05pm On Nov 24, 2011
Okija_juju:

Frankly, Apart from colonization, greed also destroyed most of our shrines!

Shrines were our justice system of old, used to settle disputes, appeal to the gods for favor and also to offer sacrifices of thanks. It used to be that the priests were only seen outside on rare occasions. But thanks to greed, our high priests started using their powers for selfish reasons.

I remember hearing stories from my grandpa of how human sacrifices used to be offered every year for a bountiful harvest that season and that indeed the gods were always faithful and blessed them with adequate rainfall and sunshine. Also how land disputes, family disputes and even matrimonial disputes were settled and judged by the priests. I remember not too long ago in my village when a mother accused her daughter-in-law of using witchcraftcy to hold her son down. That case was taken to the Igwes palace and the chief priest (Eze Mmuo) was sent for. After much, the priest made every party swear an oath that anyone of them who planned evil for the next would face the wrath of the gods, and it did work.

Another example of "The justice of the gods" is the rule on stealing. Now if I am hungry, I can walk into another mans farm without his/her consent and harvest food and eat. Now the rules of the land says, I can only harvest just enough food to fill my tummy and no more than that. However, should I take more than I can eat there and then, I will face the wrath of the gods who will afflict me with an ailment. Lovely rule if you ask me.

Now culturally, the priests play a very important role. Up until the westernization of our cultures and traditions, The priest used to be the only representative of the gods at new yam festival, traditional weddings and such. BUT nowadays, we now have cathlolic priests and other such pastors offering thanks to the gods at our traditional festivals, this is not right. Some things should be kept sacred.

The priiests also played an important role in removing a sitting king, interceeding on the behalf of the commuinity to avert an impending disaster, cleanse the land of reproach borne as a result of an abominable act, interceed for expectant mothers and generally look out for the spiritual interest of the commuinity.

The beauty of our traditional justice system was that justice was swift and fair (atleast until before greed set in).

The only downside to this system was the offering of human sacrifices. Example in Calabar where Twins were considered an anathema, or an autistic child was thrown into the evil forest to die and other such practices that go against human rights.

The old days where indeed better.

[size=16pt]WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

well said my Igbo Brother.  cool          ALL YOU CHRISTIAN  IGBO WHO HAVE ANY SHAME LEFT IN YOU, MUST READ THE ABOVE POST^^^^^^
(however i do not find anything wrong with human sacrifices in certain cases.Note: We Nigerian peoples have different way of thinking and we have been thoroughly influenced by the West. if animals are sacrificed, then i dont see any reason why humans should not be sacrificed, especially with the ongoing population rate. i had given this detailed explanation on sacrifices in one of my other thread in the Religious Secion) :

SACRIFICE:

WHAT IS A SACRIFICE

A Sacrifice is when you offer something to some entity in return for something you want/need. when you want to earn money, you sacrifice your hardwork / when a mother wants to have a baby, she sacrifices her body to the cause / when an a lion wants its food, it sacrifices its energy in chasing the deer, etc

In the same way, when we want something from the Gods, we sacrifice something in return. now this can be anything and is related to the type and nature of the sacrifice. usually (not always), it is the most precious thing we have at that moment or has to be something related to the the sacrifice. now this does not mean we sacrifice all our valuables and money. NO.  it can be anything depending on the circumstance.

for e.g.  say an extremely rich farmer lives near the deserts, where there is hardly any rain. he has a lot of wealth but lives very far away from any settlement. his crops are all dead, due to lack of rain. He therefore, invokes God in the form of the Rain God. now he has to make a sacrifice in return for the rain. now what do you think is the most precious thing he has do you think its Gold NO. its not. the most precious thing he has at that moment, is the few grains he has and the little water he has left. So therefore , he sacrifices it to the Gods. and then he usually gets his rain. this is why sacrifices to the rain God are still performed even today around the world. because it works if done properly and conducted in a proper manner.

now about human sacrifices. If goats, chicken and other animals are sacrificed, then why is it wrong for humans to be sacrificed. After all, arent we all equal creatures of God   therefore it would only be fair to sacrifice humans also depending on the need for it. this is however done once in a while. The sacrificial offerings are usually humans in the form of prisoners of war (who were anyways executed), murders, r.apists and other criminal, etc

by sacrificing such people as murderers, we do justice to society as a whole by punishing them and at the same time, we offer the criminal a chance by sacrificing him/her to the Gods and therefore, helping his soul. by performing a human sacrifice, all the evils of society are symbolically washed away for the time.

Conclusion: different sacrifices have different roles. it is only for those who understand them, that ryly appreciate them.

Kilode?!:

May Amadioha strengthen the hands of my Igbo people. Time to chase out foreign gods folks.

YES  WE WILL CHASE THEM OUT SOON!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NEED COLLECTIVE SUPPORT. I AM ALREADY WORKING ON IT. NOT JUST ONLINE SUPPORT, BUT REAL WORK.

YOU CAN DO YOUR BIT BY REVERTING TO THE OLD WAYS AND CULTURE. DO NOT BE ASHAMED OF YOUR IDENTITY. THE GODS ARE WITH YOU.
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by adaide1: 2:07pm On Nov 24, 2011
Today their is no justice but then when it is believed that 'ani' can kill bcecause of a lie or for killing or involving in any kind of societal nums; that chineke or osebuluwa (olisa bu uwa) or olisabi na igwe (who had no shrine or image but greater than all the gods that lived on earth with their shirnes) gives direct justice. Justice was given. In the era of old,  justice is given not just because of  oneness, fear for the most high (chineke),  love and pride in who they were but they had conscience and were truthful to each other. Much more truthful than what we have in churches today. Their only sin was the use of shrines as means of enforcement and it worked for them. today it is a symbol of wickedness than justice. sad
Re: Shrines And Justice In Igbo Culture. by adaide1: 2:37pm On Nov 25, 2011
@ rich john
ibo is an anglicized version of igbo. its's the whites making things easy for themselves. the correct spelling is IGBO

ka o diri gi na nma!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Did The Colonial Masters Get The Name Nigeria From ? / Whole Ondo State Was Under Benin Kingdom Except OWO / Yoruba Does Not Have A Word For Tiger, Ekun Can Be Used To Describe Big Cats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.