Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,182 members, 7,849,680 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:49 AM

Unfolding The Practice Of Tayammum: Purification When Water Is Scarce. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Unfolding The Practice Of Tayammum: Purification When Water Is Scarce. (51 Views)

The Practice Of Prayer. / Unfolding The Mystery Of Ritual $ex Part 5. / Unfolding The Rosebud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Unfolding The Practice Of Tayammum: Purification When Water Is Scarce. by Abdulmalikiyand: 10:10am On May 09
[color=#006600][/color]

Tayammum.

The linguistic meaning of tayammum: intention.

Tayammum is an I act of dry ritual purification using purified sand, stone, or mud. It serves as an alternative to the traditional ritual washing (wudu or ghusl) when clean water is unavailable or if an individual is facing certain health issues, such as skin inflammation, scaling, illness, or other hardships.

The legitimacy of Tayammum.

It is the going to the upper part, to wipe the face and hands, with the intention of making prayer and the likes and it’s permissible in Sunnah.

Evidence of the legitimacy of tayammum.

Its legitimacy has been proven by the Qur’an, Sunnah, and consensus.

As for the Al-quran, God Almighty says: (And if you are sick or on a journey, or one of you comes from the toilet, or you have touched women and you do not find water, then perform tayammum on clean earth and wipe your faces and your hands. Indeed, God is Pardoning and Forgiving) (Surat An-Nisa, verse 43.).

As for the Sunnah, according to the hadith of Abu Umamah, may God be pleased with him: The Messenger of God, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, said: (I have made the entire earth a place of worship and purification for me and my nation, so wherever a man from my nation meets prayer, his purification is with him) Narrated by Ahmad.

As for consensus of the scholars in islam, Muslims have unanimously agreed that tayammum is permissible, instead of ablution and Bathing in special circumstances.

3 – The specialization of it to this ummah. ( The ummah of prophet Muhammad, PBUH)

This is one of the characteristics that God has bestowed upon this UMMAH.

On the authority of Jabir, may God be pleased with him, that the Messenger of God, may God bless him and grant him peace, said: “I was given five things that no one was given before me.
I was victorious through terror, a distance of a month’s journey, and all the earth was made for me a mosque and purification, so that any man from my nation who can pray should pray, and spoils were made lawful for me and were not lawful for anyone before me, and I was granted intercession, and the Prophet was sent to his people specifically, and I was sent to the people in general.)
Narrated by the two sheikhs.

4 – The reason for the legitimacy of tayamum.

Aisha, may God be pleased with her, narrated that she said: We went out with the Prophet, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, on some of his travelers, until when we were in Al-Bayda, a contract for me was cut off, so the Prophet, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, stayed to find it, and the people stayed with him, and they were not on water, and they had no water.

So the people came to Abu Bakr, may God be pleased with him, and said: Don’t you see what Aisha has done? Then Abu Bakr came, and the Prophet, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, had fallen asleep on my thigh. He blamed me and said what God wished for him to say, and he began stabbing my side with his hand. Nothing prevented me from moving except the place of the Prophet, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, on my thigh.
So he slept until he was left without water, so God Almighty descended. The verse of tayammum (then perform tayammum)

Al-Sayyid ibn Hudayr said:
What is your first blessing, for your blessings are many. O family of Abu Bakr!! She said: So we sent the camel that you were riding, and we found the knot under it.
Narrated by the group except Al-Tirmidhi.

Why is Tayammum permissible for Muslims?

Tayammum is permissible for a person who has committed a minor or major event, whether at home or traveling, if because of the one of the following reasons:

A – If he does not find water, or finds enough water for purification, based on the hadith of Imran bin Husayn, may God be pleased with him, who said: We were with the Messenger of God, may God bless him and grant him peace, on a journey.

He led the people, and then he saw a secluded man. He said: (What prevented you from praying?) He said: I have become impure, and there is no water. He said: (You should go to Upper Egypt, for it is sufficient for you.) Narrated by the two sheikhs.

On the authority of Abu Dharr, may God be pleased with him, on the authority of the Messenger of God, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, he said: (The level of the earth is purified for one who does not find water for ten years) narrated by the authors of the Sunan, and Al-Tirmidhi said: a good and authentic hadith.

But he must – before performing tayammum – ask for water from his foot, or from his companion, or from what is usually close to him. If he is certain that it is not there, or that it is far from him, he does not have to ask.

Read about Ablution here https://islamicblog.com.ng/the-ultimate-guide-to-ablution-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-ritual-of-purification/

B – If he had surgery or illness, and he feared that using water would increase the illness or delay recovery, whether he knew that from experience or through information from trusted doctors, based on the hadith of Jabir, may God be pleased with him, who said, “We went out on a journey, and a stone hit one of us, wounding him in the head, and then he had a wet dream.” He asked his companions: Do you find permission for me to perform dry ablution? They said: We do not find any permission for you if you are able to water, so he washed and died.

When we came to the Messenger of God, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, he was informed of that, and he said: “They killed him, God killed them. Didn’t they ask if they did not know? The cure for the eye is only the question (ignorance).

It was enough for him to perform tayammum and squeeze or bind a cloth over his wound, then wipe over it and wash the rest of his body.” ) Narrated by Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, and Al-Daraqutni, and authenticated by Ibn Al-Sakan.

C – If the water is very cold, and it is likely that harm will result from its use, provided that he is unable to heat it even with wages, is it not possible for him to enter the bathroom, based on the hadith of Amr ibn Al-Aas, may God be pleased with him, that when he was sent on the Dhat al-Silsil expedition, he said: I endured it on a very cold night. So I feared that if I washed myself I would be destroyed, then I led my companions in the morning prayer. When we came to the Messenger of God, may God bless him and grant him peace, they mentioned that to him, and he said: (O Amr, did you pray with your companions while you were in a state of ritual impurity?)

So I said: I mentioned the words of God Almighty: (And do not kill yourselves. Indeed, God is Most Merciful to you) (2) so I performed tayammum and then prayed. The Messenger of God laughed and did not say anything. Narrated by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, Al-Hakim, Al-Daraqutni, and Ibn Hibban, and commented by Al-Bukhari.

This is an acknowledgment, and the acknowledgment is evidence because he, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, does not acknowledge falsehood.

D – If the water is close to him, but he fears for himself, his honor, his money, or the loss of company, or an enemy he fears is standing between him and the water, whether the enemy is human or other, or he is imprisoned, or he is unable to extract it, because he lost the water device. Such as a rope and a bucket, because the presence of water in these circumstances is the same as its absence. Likewise, if a person fears that if he performs ablution he will throw away what he is innocent of and be harmed by it, it is permissible to perform tayammum.

– If he needs water immediately or later to drink himself or someone else, even if he is a dog that is not impure, or if he needs it for kneading or cooking and removing impurity that is not exempt, then he should perform tayammum and preserve what water he has with him.
Imam Ahmad, may God be pleased with him, said: Several of the Companions performed tayammum and held water on their lips.

On the authority of Ali, may God be pleased with him, that he said: In the case of a man who is traveling, and he becomes impure, and he has a little water with him, and he is afraid that he will become thirsty: He should perform tayammum and not perform ghusl. Narrated by Al-Daraqutni.

Ibn Taymiyyah said: Whoever has a dry ablution and lacks water, it is better for him to pray by tayammum without a dry ablution than to memorize his ablution and pray without a dry ablution.

If he is able to use water, but he fears that the time will expire by using it for ablution or washing, then he should perform tayammum and pray, and he does not have to repeat it.

What are the levels in which tayammum is performed?

It is permissible to perform tayammum using pure dirt and anything of earth, such as sand, stone, and limestone.
According to the words of God Almighty: (Then perform tayammum on good earth.) The people of the language have unanimously agreed that the earth is the surface of the earth, whether it is dirt or otherwise.

How do we perform tayammum?

The person performing tayammum must make the intention (النية)
We talked about it in ablution, then he should say Bismillah ( calls God Almighty), strikes the clean surface with his hands, and wipes his face with them first.
Read about ablution here :

And then with his hands up to the wrists.

There was no more authentic or more clear narration about that than the hadith of Ammar, may God be pleased with him. He said: I became junub and did not reach the water, so I remained in the plain (3) and prayed. I mentioned that to the Prophet, may God bless him and grant him peace, and he said: (This was enough for you), and the Prophet, may God bless him and grant him peace, hit the ground with his palms. (And blow on them.) Then he wiped his face and palms with them. Narrated by the two sheikhs.

In another wording: (It was sufficient for you to strike the dirt with your palms, then blow on them, then wipe your face and palms up to the wrists with them) narrated by Al-Daraqutni.

In this hadith, one stroke is sufficient, and wiping the hands is restricted to the palms, and it is Sunnah for the one who performs tayammum with dirt, to wash his hands and blow off of it, and not to scrub his face with it.

STEP BY STEP GUIDE ON HOW TO PERFORM TAYAMMUM.

To perform Tayammum in Islam, follow these step-by-step instructions:

Intention (Niyyah): Make the intention to perform Tayammum for the purpose of purification and to please Allah.

Prepare the materials: Find a clean area of ground, sand, stone, or dust to perform Tayammum. Make sure the material is free from impurities.

Strike the ground: With both hands, strike the palms on the ground once.

Wipe your hands: Using your left hand, wipe the back of your right hand, from the wrist to the fingertips. Then, switch and use your right hand to wipe the back of your left hand.

Wipe your face: Place your hands on your face, with the palms resting on your forehead and the fingers covering the area between the eyebrows. Then, wipe your face from the forehead to the chin with both hands.

Optional: Some scholars also recommend wiping the arms up to the elbows. Start with the right arm and then move on to the left.

Supplication (Dua): After completing the Tayammum, recite the following dua: “Ashhadu alla ilaha illa llahu wahdahu la sharika lahu wa ash-hadu anna muhammadan ‘abduhu wa rasuluhu.”

Now that you have completed the Tayammum. Remember, Tayammum is an alternative form of purification and should only be performed when water is unavailable or when using water would cause harm or significant hardship. Once water becomes accessible, a full bath (ghusl) or ablution (wudu) should be performed.

What is permissible to do in Ibaadah After tayammum?

Tayammum is an alternative to ablution and washing when there is no water, so what is permissible with them is prayer, touching the Qur’an, etc., and it is not required for its validity to have passed the time. On the authority of Abu Dharr, may God be pleased with him, that the Prophet, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, said: (The level is pure for a Muslim, even if he does not find water for ten years. If he finds water, let him touch his skin with it, for that is good.) Narrated by Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi and authenticated by him.

What spoils Tayammum?

Tayammum invalidates everything that invalidates ablution, because it is a substitute for it, just as it is invalidated by the presence of water for someone who has lost it, or the ability to use it for someone who is unable to do so.

But if he prays by doing tayammum, then finds water, or is able to use it after finishing the prayer, he does not have to repeat it, even if there is still time. On the authority of Abu Saeed Al-Khudri, may God be pleased with him, he said: Two men went out on a journey, and the time for prayer came and they did not have water, so they performed tayammum on good soil. So they prayed, then they found water at the right time, so one of them repeated the ablution and prayer, but the other did not repeat it. Then they came to the Messenger of God, may God bless him and grant him peace, and mentioned that to him. He said to the one who did not return: (You have fulfilled the Sunnah and your prayer is sufficient for you) and he said to the one who performed ablution and repeated it: (You will have the reward twice.) ) was told by Abo Dawood and AlNasaee.

But if he finds water and is able to use it after starting the prayer, and before finishing it, his ablution is invalidated, and he must purify himself with water, according to the aforementioned hadith of Abu Dharr.

If a woman in a state of impurity or a menstruating woman performs tayammum for one of the reasons that permit tayammum and prays, it is not obligatory for her to repeat the prayer.
She must wash herself whenever she is able to use water, based on the hadith of Omar, may God be pleased with him, who said: (The Messenger of God, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, prayed with the people. When he finished his prayer, he saw a secluded man who did not pray with the people. He said: (What prevented you, O so-and-so, from praying with the people?) ?) He said: I fell ill and could not find water.

He said: (You should go to the highland, for it is sufficient for you.) Then Imran mentioned: After they found the water, the Messenger of God, may God bless him and grant him peace, gave the one who had fallen into impurity a vessel of water and said: (Go and empty it on you), narrated by Al-Bukhari.

Rules of Wiping over a splint and the likes.

Permissibility of wiping over a splint and bandage: It is permissible to wipe over a splint or something similar to which a sick limb is tied.

There are no hadiths mentioned in this regard, and although they are weak, they have methods that strengthen each other.

It makes it valid as evidence of legitimacy.
Among these hadiths is the hadith of Jabir: A man was struck by a stone, causing pain in his head. Then he had a wet dream, so he asked his companions, “Do you find permission for me to perform dry ablution?” They said: We do not find a permit for you while you are able to water, so he washed and died.

When we came to the Messenger of God, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, and he was informed of that, he said: (They killed him, God killed them. Why Did they not ask, since they did not know? The only cure for the sick was to ask. It was enough for him to finish his wound and squeeze or bandage his wound, then wipe it and wash the rest of his body.) Narrated by Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, and Al-Daraqutni, authenticated by Ibn Al-Sakan.
It is authentically reported on the authority of Ibn Umar that he wiped over the band.

Ruling on wiping over splint or bondage when performing Ablution or Gusl in Islam.

The ruling on wiping over the splint is obligatory, in ablution and Bathing, instead of washing or wiping the diseased limb.

When is wiping required?

If someone has an injury or fracture and wants to perform ablution or wash, he must wash his limbs, even if that requires heating water. If there is fear of harm from washing a sick limb, such that washing it will result in illness, increased pain, or delayed healing, then its obligation is removed. To wipe the sick limb with water. If he fears harm from wiping, he must tie a bandage over the wound, or tighten a splint over its fracture, so that it does not go beyond the sick limb except when it is necessary to tie it, then wipe over it once, covering it.

With a splint or bandage, it is not necessary to purify it before tightening it, and there is no timing for it. Rather, it is always wiped over during ablution and washing, as long as the excuse exists.

What invalidates wiping over the bondage when performing Ablution

Wiping over the splint is invalidated by removing it from its place or by it falling out of its place by healing or clearing its place, even if it does not fall off.
Prayer for a person who has been purified from lack of water or dirt. In any condition, he prays according to his condition and does not have to be repeated.

When Muslim narrated on the authority of Aisha that she borrowed a necklace from Asma and lost. So the Messenger of God, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, sent a group of his companions to seek it, and the prayer reached them, so they prayed without ablution. When they came to the Prophet, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, they complained about this to him, then the verse on tayammum was revealed, and Usayd bin Hudayr said. May God reward you with goodness. By God, no matter has ever happened to you except that God made a way out of it for you and made a blessing for the Muslims from it.

These companions prayed when they lacked what was made for them to purify themselves, and they complained about that to the Prophet, may God bless him and grant him peace, and he did not deny it to them, nor did he order them to repeat it: Al-Nawawi said: It is the strongest statement of evidence.

(1) (Reply)

When God Sends His Word / Restoring Sight To The Blind / Living The Victorious Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.