Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,774 members, 7,844,526 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? (21154 Views)

What’s The Difference Between The Red Colored Apple And Green Colored Apple? / Beware! Fake Blue Band Margarine In Circulation / Butter And Margarine In Baking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Aicebaba: 3:26pm On May 10
Butter
1. Derived from milk
2. Expensive
3. Good for the body with highest fat/oil quality

Margarine
1. Derived from hydrogenated seed oils like soya oil, rapeseed oil, etc
2. Cheap
3. Bad for the body as seed oil causes health complications

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by SmartyPants(m): 3:28pm On May 10
noobody:
Also include bread spread,
99% of what is sold to us as butter is scam,
They are called bread spread.

Bread spread is simply a blanket term for any of these items that we eat with bread. Butter, margarine, mayonnaise, nutella, peanut butter, etc, are all types of bread spread.

When it comes to butter and margarine, the main difference is that butter is made from milk and margarine is made from vegetable oil.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Mariangeles(f): 3:29pm On May 10
illicit:
I love Mayonnaise

Illicit, is that what they asked? 😄

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Alusiizizi(m): 3:30pm On May 10
The difference?

One of them(butter) along with bread was promised to us Igbo people by Tinubu(yes, that drug intoxicated zombie) while the other(margarine and not "Mangarine" ) was not. By the way, we are still waiting for our bread and butter.
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by shoodboi2: 3:31pm On May 10
Testiebobo:
Please oo NL, i want to fry puffpuff and dough-nut. And my teacher(a baker) advised me to get mangarine instead of butter. Because it has a profitable nutrition to the consumer that will eat it, rather than butter that runs most people stomach. I searched for the difference on Google, but Google was giving me the scientifical difference and how their taste differs. But it is the nutritional benefits that concerns me the most. I cant identify, bakers and nutritionist in the house! What is the nutritional difference between butter and mangarine?

Butter is made from milk. Margarine is made from mixing fats, oils, and chemicals.

Margarine was made as a cheaper version of butter. It comes in different colours, depending on the ingredients used, but is dyed white, off white, or yellow so that it looks like butter.

Margarine is artificial and is not the real thing.

Butter on the other hand, is more expensive. And truly, it may run people's stomach, but it's only those allergic to milk or who cannot take much milk.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Sleekfingers: 3:31pm On May 10
butter is made from dairy milk or cream, while margarine is made from plant and/or animal fats.

And butter is more expensive......200g of unsalted or salted Butter can cost around 4000- 9000 naira , even more , depending on the brand . But a 500g of margarine can cost 600-1000 naira

Most Nigerian bakers don't use Butter to bake , because of the price....instead they use Margarine and some adulterated vegetable oil...

🤣🤣🤣 And you said , Butter gives most people running stomach.....maybe Aba made butter.

Most Nigerians don't even know what BUTTER looks like. They call Margarine butter. , especially Brands like blue band , etc .....

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by illicit(m): 3:32pm On May 10
Mariangeles:

Illicit, is that what they asked? 😄

I mean it's like butter is made of milk or fat and margarine is made from plants (not sure)

I hardly butter my bread

I prefer to eat Mayonnaise and I have never bothered to know what it's made of...

🥵
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Gajagojo: 3:33pm On May 10
CosmeticChemist:
Butter is of animal fat origin, while margarine is derived from the hydrogenation of vegetable fat ( fat of plant origin).

Margarine is usually more healthy because it is lower in saturated fat.

Oli used in the production of margarine, are usually fractionated before hydrogenation.
More healthy is one of those assumptions that cannot be proven
It is just repeated so many times till no one argues
The reality is that is is impossible to prove
I am not saying it is true or false but
It just cannot be proven
This is made even more difficult by the fact that there are so many different things called "margarine" and more than one type of "butter"

1 Like

Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by finickykblazy(m): 3:37pm On May 10
Margarine is poison, stay away from it if you value your health. Butter is healthy fats especially if it's grass fed. Blue band is not Butter! Butter is more expensive.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by sprints1: 3:37pm On May 10
Magerine is plastic butter is fat simple as abc
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Sleekfingers: 3:38pm On May 10
noobody:

It is most Nigerians that are confused ......They call blue band etc BUTTER .....the companies didn't call it Butter........I can bet anything over 70% of Nigerians haven't tasted BUTTER, they don't even know what it looks like. ...

So there is nothing like Scam here........

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by finallybusy: 3:42pm On May 10
ChatGPT has made children on Nairaland lazy. Hmm, Gen Z and Alpha, na una go enjoy this one.
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by hopexter(m): 3:42pm On May 10
Akwamkpuruamu:
Na same thing, all na brand name
Chatgpt is cornfused

Some good Samaritans above you have highlighted the differences and importance of both. It won’t take you two minutes to read, understand and learn to know say them no be the same thing. I’ll clear your confusion 😁
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Gajagojo: 3:43pm On May 10
Aicebaba:
Butter
1. Derived from milk
2. Expensive
3. Good for the body with highest fat/oil quality

Margarine
1. Derived from hydrogenated seed oils like soya oil, rapeseed oil, etc
2. Cheap
3. Bad for the body as seed oil causes health complications
Why does seed oil cause health complications? by what mechanism

What do you mean by Highest fat /oil quality

How is quality defined or established by what metric?
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Arostar2023: 3:43pm On May 10
I have noticed that most Nigerians call bread spread "butter". The really don't know what really butter is. For one, butter is thrice as costly of margarine of equal weight. And more nutritious too. While butter is made from milk, margarine is made from vegetable oils with some other additives to enhance its flavor and improve shelf-life.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by FreeStuffsNG: 3:43pm On May 10
olatuneji:
The nutritional differences between butter and margarine include :
- Calories: Both items have the same amount of calories, 717kcal per 100g of the food eaten.
- Carbohydrates: Both foods are very low in carbohydrates.
- Protein: Both foods are low in protein - 0.85g per 100g for butter vs. 0.16g per 100g for margarine.
- Fats: Butter is trans-fat-free. Margarine contains trans fats.
- Minerals: The mineral content of butter is a little higher than that of margarine, although it is still low.
- Vitamins: Margarine has a higher vitamin score compared to butter.
Nice. Thank you.
Butter is fortified margarine in a way so you can always raise the nutritional value.
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Gajagojo: 3:45pm On May 10
Arostar2023:
I have noticed that most Nigerians call bread spread "butter". The really don't know what really butter is. For one, butter is thrice as costly of margarine of equal weight. And more nutritious too. While butter is made from milk, margarine is made from vegetable oils with some other additives to enhance its flavor and improve shelf-life.
What is the difference between "spread" and "margarine"?
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Mariangeles(f): 3:46pm On May 10
Sleekfingers:

It is most Nigerians that are confused ......They call blue band etc BUTTER .....the companies didn't call it Butter........ I can bet anything over 70% of Nigerians haven't tasted BUTTER,

they don't even know what it looks like. ...

So there is nothing like Scam here........

How are you so sure?

Of course, butter looks like margarine.
We could easily produce butter in Nigeria (simply by churning/whipping fresh cow's milk), but we're not yet ready.

In fact, the health world is gradually moving on from butter to ghee, which is healthier.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Love800(m): 3:47pm On May 10
What do you mean by saturate?
dominique:
Butter is saturated fat, margarine is unsaturated fat
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Mariangeles(f): 3:48pm On May 10
illicit:

I mean it's like butter is made of milk or fat and margarine is made from plants (not sure)

I hardly butter my bread

I prefer to eat Mayonnaise and I have never bothered to know what it's made of...

🥵

Mostly eggs, with vegetable oil.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Love800(m): 3:50pm On May 10
Can you makes dis ur comment clearer and explain further pls? Thank you.
iichidodo:
Butter is churned from milk, whether cow or goat milk. Margarine is butter which has undergone ionisation with metallic positrons like ferrous oxide or bauxite...
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Sleekfingers: 3:50pm On May 10
Mariangeles:

How are you so sure?

Of course, it butter looks like margarine.
We could easily produce butter in Nigeria, but we're not yet ready.

In fact, the health world is gradually moving on from butter to ghee, which is healthier.

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Oga, Ghee is a clarified butter. Simply a melted butter.

Butters are packaged differently.
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Love800(m): 3:51pm On May 10
This ur statement is confusing.
Gajagojo:
Margarine is better but butter is more better
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Gajagojo: 3:52pm On May 10
Love800:
This ur statement is confusing.
I am happy
Excellent
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Mariangeles(f): 3:52pm On May 10
Sleekfingers:

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Oga, Ghee is a clarified butter. Simply a melted butter.

Butters are packaged differently.

Exactly!

Gajagojo:
I am happy

Hahahahahahahahaha
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Love800(m): 3:52pm On May 10
What is breadspread?
noobody:
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Gajagojo: 3:54pm On May 10
noobody:
Me I call it yamspread or dodospread
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Emmabyte: 3:55pm On May 10
It depends on the kind of bread you want to eat I think butter and any kind of bread is 5/6
while the other guy and sliced bread are 5/6, addition butter is for poor people and the other guy is for big men, hope this will be helpful,

and what is puff puff? why can't you give that shit another name instead of cuff cuff sorry puff
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Gajagojo: 3:57pm On May 10
shoodboi2:

Butter is made from milk. Margarine is made from mixing fats, oils, and chemicals.

Margarine was made as a cheaper version of butter. It comes in different colours, depending on the ingredients used, but is dyed white, off white, or yellow so that it looks like butter.

Margarine is artificial and is not the real thing.

Butter on the other hand, is more expensive. And truly, it may run people's stomach, but it's only those allergic to milk or who cannot take much milk.
Which chemicals are mixed in margarine?
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by Gajagojo: 3:59pm On May 10
Mariangeles:

How are you so sure?

Of course, butter looks like margarine.
We could easily produce butter in Nigeria (simply by churning/whipping fresh cow's milk), but we're not yet ready.

In what way is ghee healthier?
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by illicit(m): 3:59pm On May 10
Mariangeles:

Mostly eggs, with vegetable oil.

Oh wow

I like how it tastes sour
Re: What Is The Nutritional Difference Between Butter And Margarine? by shoodboi2: 4:01pm On May 10
Gajagojo:
Which chemicals are mixed in margarine?

The wierd this is that there is no limit to what they can use. They put all sorts of things in there these days.

They use from animals and even things like vegetable oil, which itself is made by adding chemicals to bean and soybean seeds.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Special Fried Rice Recipe With Leek And Celery (pics And Video) / ~ African Snacks & Appetizers ~ / Food Recipes you can't Resist | How to make Korean Beef

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.