Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,134 members, 7,845,775 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit (13302 Views)

Fubara welcomes Goodluck Jonathan, To Flag-off Trans-Kalabari Road / General AI Taiwo: Son Of Late Col. Ibrahim Taiwo Who Championed Asaba Massacre / Restructuring Is Yoruba Agenda Championed By Uninformed Igbos – Tanko Yakasai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by Paraman: 7:32am On May 11
Joshcoli:

These BATISTs are beyond reason! Even if Tinubu were to commit the most barbaric acts, they'd still chant his praises and bow before him. Don't bother trying to argue with them; their minds are locked in a delusional loyalty that even suffering can't shake.
Yes o, suffering just start in Nigeria under Tinubu. Nigeria was a rosy counry before with no one suffering.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by ivandragon: 7:34am On May 11
Beautifulday:

Jonathan wasn't a disappointment in anyway. What you see that happened to Jonathan was a media and power gang up. No president has equal Jonathan in Nigeria.

He should have been more decisive on

1. Insecurity. Especially that Chibok girls issue. A firm & decisive action was needed.

2. Corruption. He could have done more to check it.

3. Restructuring. Areas not needing national assembly approval should have been implemented.

OBJ was also very good in his own way.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by highchief1: 7:41am On May 11
Paraman:
Jonathan that can't boast of constructing up to 100km of road in each of the 6 geopolitical region
I didn’t want to reply.but I have to.Why are u building a road than people cannot use due to hunger.Wby do u think the only problem Nigeria has is road.I supported tinubu more than u in 2023 but learn to use ur small brain to think.Tinubu has not done well in critical areas.The way this economy is dangling Nigeria has never seen it since 1960.Go and read what Bloomberg said yesterday about our naira.U guys must stop talking of roads roads.In Nigeria today,north has the best roads but it’s stl the least developed region of the country.everyting no be by road.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by Paraman: 7:43am On May 11
highchief1:
I didn’t want to reply.but I have to.Why are u building a road than people cannot use due to hunger.
This is the dumbest comment have seen on nairaland this year.

Roads were in shambles, he sold distribution companies to incompetent people etc here you're giving an excuse on his behalf

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by highchief1: 7:45am On May 11
Paraman:
This is the dumbest comment have seen on nairaland this year
alright.write the undumbest let’s see
Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by Beautifulday: 7:53am On May 11
ivandragon:

1. Insecurity. Especially that Chibok girls issue. A firm & decisive action was needed.

3. Restructuring. Areas not needing national assembly approval should have been implemented.

Why didn't Buhari do them? You think these things are done overnight? He said gain he made weren't continued. Government is progressive.

He did his best in Chibok girls issues. It was a case of the more you look the less you see.

When we talk about chibok, it will seem that nothing of sought has happened again? How many of such incidents happened during Jonathan time? Compare them with Buhari and Tinubu that is not up to 2 years in government. I mean side by side.

Why was Buhari not decisive. Why is Tinubu not decisive.

Do you no there was not herdsmen and bandits during Jonathan's era? Where is decisiveness when it comes to Buhari?

2. They said Madueke stole a lot of Nigerian money. Can you compare the money she was accused of stealing and that of dasuki that hasn't been proven to be true with what happened under self acclaimed saint of Nigeria, Buhari?

It's under Buhari that snake first swallowed millions, we were told that monkeys robbed billions and disappeared into thin air.

Jonathan fought corrupted and terrorism more than any government. The unified payment system was introduced by Jonathan. Pencom was introduced under Jonathan. Unless you were expecting him to do all things and no new avenue of corruption and theft will spring up.

Restructuring was a new call then with new papers imaging on the topic. Till date, people don't even know what it means. Nah just nonsense talk.

What Atiku see as restructuring is different from what Tinubu sees as restructuring.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by ivandragon: 7:55am On May 11
Paraman:
Yes o, suffering just start in Nigeria under Tinubu. Nigeria was a rosy counry before with no one suffering.

If you would be honest with yourself and do an analysis of the purchasing power of the common man in Nigeria between 1990 to date, using common items, you would see that there was a steady improvement in purchasing power of the average Nigerian. So while things were not rosy, they were improving where it mattered most.

To help you, see a brief analysis below. You can do your own analysis. Everything shouldn't start & end with politics. No matter who is in power, the masses must collectively hold them to account else they continue to disregard us and misuse our commonwealth.

Year 1990-1998
Av. Minimum wage (MW) N300

Item price
1. Rice N1000
3+ months salary to buy 1 bag

2. Beans N1500 5 months salary to buy 1 bag

3. Cooking gas NA No reliable records

4. Flour N190 1 month salary gets 1+ bag

5. PMS N11 1 month salary gets 27l

6. Diesel N12 1 month salary gets 25l

7. Cement N120 1 month salary = 2 bags+

8. Basket of tomatoes N200 1 month salary =1+ basket

9. Beef N50 1 month salary = 6kg
Year 1999-2010
Av. Minimum wage (MW) N7000

Item price qty of MW
1. Rice N6000 1month salary = 1+ bag

2. Beans N7000 1month salary to buy 1 bag

3. Cooking gas N200 1 month salary = 35kg

4. Flour N4500 1 month salary gets 1+ bag

5. PMS N65 1 month salary gets 107ltrs

6. Diesel N150 1 month salary gets 46ltrs

7. Cement N1500 1 month salary = 4+ bags

8. Basket of tomatoes N2500 1 month salary =2+ baskets

9. Beef 250 1 month salary= 28kg

Year 2011-2014
Av. Minimum wage (MW) N18000

Item price qty of MW
1. Rice N8000 1 month salary to buy 2+bags

2. Beans N15000 1month salary to buy 1+ bag

3. Cooking gas N400 1 month salary = 45kg

4. Flour N6000 1 month salary gets 3 bags

5. PMS N90 1 month salary gets 200ltrs

6. Diesel N300 1 month salary gets 60ltrs

7. Cement N200 1 month salary = 9 bags

8. Basket of tomatoes N7500 1 month salary =2+ baskets

9. Beef 500 1 month salary = 36kg

Year 2015 to date
Av. Minimum wage (MW) N30,000

Item price qty of MW
1. Rice N70000 2+ months salary to buy 1 bag

2. Beans N100000 3+ months salary to buy 1 bag

3. Cooking gas N1300 1 month salary = 23kg

4. Flour N60000 2+ months salary gets 1bag

5. PMS N600 1 month salary gets 50ltrs

6. Diesel N1300 1 month salary gets 23ltrs

7. Cement N10000 1 month salary = 3 bags

8. Basket of tomatoes N58000 2 months salary =1+ basket

9. Beef N5000 1 month salary = 6kg

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by GreenCovering: 7:55am On May 11
The Naira exchange rate also crashed by double going from about 125 to over 250 to a dollar even when we had more oil sales during his tenure. People tend to judge APC unfairly imho.
wink
Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by udeh3(m): 7:57am On May 11
Paraman:
Jonathan that can't boast of constructing up to 100km of road in each of the 6 geopolitical region

Why not do your research before commenting... Must be engage in media buying or arrogance before you know some of his achievements?

Not your fault, Nigerians barely reads, they just talk. This is where we are now. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Atleast, these current politicians understands and knows how to manipulate the media
Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by Beautifulday: 8:00am On May 11
ivandragon:

If you would be honest with yourself and do an analysis of the purchasing power of the common man in Nigeria between 1990 to date, using common items, you would see that there was a steady improvement in purchasing power of the average Nigerian. So while things were not rosy, they were improving where it mattered most.

To help you, see a brief analysis below. You can do your own analysis. Everything shouldn't start & end with politics. No matter who is in power, the masses must collectively hold them to account else they continue to disregard us and misuse our commonwealth.

Year 1990-1998

Item price
1. Rice N1000

Year 1999-2010

Item price qty of MW

Year 2011-2014

Item price qty of MW

Year 2015 to date

Item price qty of MW

Purchasing power only improved in Jonathan era.

This is how you calculate it.

How many months of your minimum wage can buy a bag of rice?

Only during Jonathan's era can minimum wage buy a bag of rice and you still have change to buy other things.

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by Judolisco(m): 8:00am On May 11
Paraman:
same Jonathan or another Jonathan?

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by Paraman: 8:01am On May 11
udeh3:

Why not do your research before commenting... Must be engage in media buying or arrogance before you know some of his achievements?

Not your fault, Nigerians barely reads, they just talk. This is where we are now. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Atleast, these current politicians understands and knows how to manipulate the media
List out the roads Jonathan started and completed in the south east
Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by ITbomb(m): 8:02am On May 11
ivandragon:

After he left power, More than 1,000 school girls have been abducted yet no action

Introducing BVN, Treasury Single Account and digitalizing oil sales points were the best means to fight corruption. He even sacked his ministers involved in fraud

With evil forces sabotaging his every moves, a wise man knows when to take certain actions

And like everyone seems to agree, his days was the best days in recent memories
Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by Paraman: 8:03am On May 11
ivandragon:

Year 1990-1998

Item price
1. Rice N1000

Year 1999-2010

Item price qty of MW

Year 2011-2014

Item price qty of MW

Year 2015 to date

Item price qty of MW

There were no poor Nigerians before 2015

Nigeria was rosy

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by okunwaye(m): 8:06am On May 11
Paraman:
Nobody will do that for you ronu miscreant tongue

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by okunwaye(m): 8:07am On May 11
Paraman:
There were no poor Nigerians before 2015

Nigeria was rosy
Yep until you and your cowardly brothers installed the worst government in Nigeria history tongue

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by Paraman: 8:08am On May 11
okunwaye:

Yep until you and your cowardly brothers installed the worst government in Nigeria history tongue
Then millions of poor Nigerians suddenly springed up in 2015 grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by ivandragon: 8:09am On May 11
Beautifulday:

Why didn't Buhari do them? You think these things are done overnight? He said gain he made weren't continued. Government is progressive.

He did his best in Chibok girls issues. It was a case of the more you look the less you see.

When we talk about chibok, it will seem that nothing of sought has happened again? How many of such incidents happened during Jonathan time? Compare them with Buhari and Tinubu that is not up to 2 years in government. I mean side by side.

Why was Buhari not decisive. Why is Tinubu not decisive.

Do you no there was not herdsmen and bandits during Jonathan's era? Where is decisiveness when it comes to Buhari?

2. They said Madueke stole a lot of Nigerian money. Can you compare the money she was accused of stealing and that of dasuki that hasn't been proven to be true with what happened under self acclaimed saint of Nigeria, Buhari?

It's under Buhari that snake first swallowed millions, we were told that monkeys robbed billions and disappeared into thin air.

Jonathan fought corrupted and terrorism more than any government. The unified payment system was introduced by Jonathan. Pencom was introduced under Jonathan. Unless you were expecting him to do all things and no new avenue of corruption and theft will spring up.

Restructuring was a new call then with new papers imaging on the topic. Till date, people don't even know what it means. Nah just nonsense talk.

What Atiku see as restructuring is different from what Tinubu sees as restructuring.

You cannot have perfection in any government, so trying to present GEJ's administration as having no flaws is a very subjective and makes one no difference from those blindly hailing everything buhari & now bat is doing.

You might not know what restructuring is, but by looking at the 2014 CONFAB report, there were some ideas to that effect.

Mind you, that snake swallowing issue started in 2014 but was discovered in 2018

https://saharareporters.com/2019/05/31/efcc-arraigns-jamb-staff-who-claimed-snake-swallowed-n36m

Also, corruption cannot justify corruption. So don't even go there.

GEJ tried, no doubt, and majority of his actions are worthy of emulation, but take your foot off the gas pedal of subjective praise.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by okunwaye(m): 8:13am On May 11
Paraman:
Then millions of poor Nigerians suddenly springed up in 2015 grin
Yes millions fell into poverty because of the backbiting decisions you'll took in 2015 angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by ivandragon: 8:14am On May 11
ITbomb:

After he left power, More than 1,000 school girls have been abducted yet no action

Introducing BVN, Treasury Single Account and digitalizing oil sales points were the best means to fight corruption. He even sacked his ministers involved in fraud

With evil forces sabotaging his every moves, a wise man knows when to take certain actions

And like everyone seems to agree, his days was the best days in recent memories

And your point is?

Even if 100k people have been abducted after chibok, does that somehow still make the incident less 'devastating'?

Yes, he fought corruption. Even signed the FOI act. But my point is, he could have done better. Is that so hard to accept?

I don't get some of you. You accuse others of blindly supporting buhari & bat, but do same for GEJ. Why?

GEJ was heads and shoulders above buhari and bat, but that does not mean he did not have his own failings as a leader. Be it by personal action or sociopolitical circumstances.

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by udeh3(m): 8:15am On May 11
GreenCovering:
The Naira exchange rate also crashed by double going from about 125 to over 250 to a dollar even when we had more oil sales during his tenure. People tend to judge APC unfairly imho.
wink

Please, remind us sir... From 250 to what again now? And when it was 250, what was the minimum wage compared to the dollar rate? Let me remind you, at 250 to a dollar, our minimum wage could buy over 100kg of rice.

Today, our minimum wage can barely buy 25kg of rice

Spot the difference in the analysis. Atleast, the stats are there

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by ivandragon: 8:16am On May 11
Beautifulday:

Purchasing power only improved in Jonathan era.

This is how you calculate it.

How many months of your minimum wage can buy a bag of rice?

Only during Jonathan's era can minimum wage buy a bag of rice and you still have change to buy other things.

Lol. Some of you just don't even understand what you support or defend.

While GEJ had the best improvement, you can clearly see that it also improved under OBJ. So what's your fuss about?

Give credit where it is due.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by Inosky: 8:17am On May 11
GEJ was a weak president. He didn't do any tangible thing in the south but was busy building almajiri schools for reelection purposes which they used to work against him during election. Under him corruption was also high just same with Buhari, although he was manageable compared to Buhari and Tinupooo.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by Bluntemperor: 8:20am On May 11
OgbeniOja1:
na man you be. don't mind this shameless ones who protested a 216 fuel price then brought us to 1k per litre

A failure will always praise a failure,na!
You are still looking for cheap Fuel of 216,in 2023,bash, even those who had COVID 19- experience,will be rejoicing now that they survived it!
In your inner mind, laziness should be adorned and Power when given your leader can't do anything about it.
Tell us how a Woman ( Mrs Dezani) was able to become emergency Multi -Dollar Minister-and bought her ways outside Nigeria.
That is the kind of people you are celebrating! Torr
Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by drerocker: 8:25am On May 11
BeeBeeOoh:

https://punchng.com/progressive-ideas-i-championed-were-abolished-after-my-exit-says-jonathan/
Oga na your for u should do have put them in place b4 leaving and sign many bills n laws before leaving u failed
Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by Paraman: 8:26am On May 11
okunwaye:

Yes millions fell into poverty because of the backbiting decisions you'll took in 2015 angry
I agree with you grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by stevnwigw1: 8:36am On May 11
When Nigeria worked, PhD na your mate?

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by villagereporter(m): 8:37am On May 11
Babalegba:
He is the fool who sold NEPA to his thieving friends,the Discos. Stupid incompetent man

And the incompetent, cocaine sniffing, guinea pig student of government secondary school, the he/she of Nigeria politics, wón tí tò ârã in Aregbesola's voice personality, the microphone licking loon is the most wisdom personify president Nigeria ever had, ehn?

Shior, yeye dey smell

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by udeh3(m): 8:41am On May 11
Paraman:

Must everything be regional? I'm from the Niger Delta region. Should I be accessing a president on only what he does in my region to know his performance alone, especially on roads only?

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by Dawnofhope: 8:53am On May 11
Babalegba:
He is the fool who sold NEPA to his thieving friends,the Discos. Stupid incompetent man
That is why you choose wise men who didn't only sold NEPA but the future of the country

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by HAROLDWILSON: 8:56am On May 11
Shut up! Mugu of the century
Re: Goodluck Jonathan: Progressive Ideas I Championed Were Abolished After My Exit by Hezmatosky: 8:59am On May 11
Am a real Delta man. But my ex presido, you didn't do well. Na you put us for this APC wahala. You should have near Obasanjo, but you desire to folo folo your governor of Lagos when you were deputy governor. You see? So just, remain your humble self o, while we work with God to rescue us. Surely He will

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cross River State Has Not Banned Devotion In Schools –SSG / Fayose Begins Distribution Of 5000 Eye Glasses To Ekiti People With Eyes Problem / Dolapo Osinbajo Celebrates Her Husband's 61st Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.