Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,077 members, 7,849,366 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 07:41 PM

I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv - TV/Movies (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv (67704 Views)

Arin BBNaija: I Knew People Would Judge My Appearance On The Show / Cee-cCs Sister Replies Uriel: I Never Knew How Many Demons She Has Been Fighting / #bbnaija2018: Miracle And Nina Knew Themselves Before Coming To The House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Ketamine9000mg(m): 4:40pm On May 13
Rich4god:
For more than 2 years I have been consistently subscribing to DSTV, from last year march till last month, I was on price lock on 9k for compact. No doubt I was actually enjoying dstv especially premier league football.

So my subscription expired last week and I checked the new price for compact, it was 15k+. Geskiya I said I can't be subscribing again. The money is too much. Thanks almost 180k per year.

So yesterday, I was at home, was now playing around with my TV apps, what I saw really amazed me.

There are plenty apps that shows children movies, another ones shows action films, though old, but they are interesting. There is an afroland TV that shows Nigerian movies. This afroland shows live France 24 news. There is Plex TV that shows live channels and still have movies too.

Then I discovered that Al Jazeera, channels TV and some other news channels shows live on YouTube. Worst of it all is that, on YouTube there are some personal channels that have full videos on movies both foreign and locals, with very recent cartoons.

Then I said let me test the cast option. Lo and behold, when man city match started, I used a stream app to watch football on my phone then I now casted it to TV. O boy, everything clear.

I watched Man city, Tottenham and Chelsea matches.

When I was leaving the house after Chelsea match, I checked my data, despite connecting it to my TV since morning, I didn't blow up to 4g.

So if I used that my 9k I was using to subscribe to DSTV compact and buy Airtel 22g for 5k, I will be on unlimited streaming till month end.

Watch at you own space.

In addition, some of these documentaries that is been shown on nat geographic gold and wild, discovery channel, investigation ID, there episodes are there on YouTube. All you need is to search for it.

My brothers and sisters....

Bye bye to DSTV and other paid TV.

In addition, there is a radio app on the smart TV that brings to you plenty radio channels both home and abroad. What I haven't confirmed is if it's live or pre recorded.

Yes o. I use movie streaming website on my browser such as www.theflixertv.to to watch movies..... New ones.
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by meum: 4:41pm On May 13
To test, download IPTV m3u8 m3u player

Click on the menu (drawer) to add new (+)

Choose “Direct link”

Input this: iptv dash org dot github dot io slash(/) iptv slash(/) countries slash(/) int dot m3u
(no space). Start with https & all those stuff if you wish. I don’t want to share link here just interpret that

Press OK & give the playlist any name.

Most channels are showing
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by UnknownT: 4:41pm On May 13
Rich4god:
For more than 2 years I have been consistently subscribing to DSTV, from last year march till last month, I was on price lock on 9k for compact. No doubt I was actually enjoying dstv especially premier league football.

So my subscription expired last week and I checked the new price for compact, it was 15k+. Geskiya I said I can't be subscribing again. The money is too much. Thanks almost 180k per year.

So yesterday, I was at home, was now playing around with my TV apps, what I saw really amazed me.

There are plenty apps that shows children movies, another ones shows action films, though old, but they are interesting. There is an afroland TV that shows Nigerian movies. This afroland shows live France 24 news. There is Plex TV that shows live channels and still have movies too.

Then I discovered that Al Jazeera, channels TV and some other news channels shows live on YouTube. Worst of it all is that, on YouTube there are some personal channels that have full videos on movies both foreign and locals, with very recent cartoons.

Then I said let me test the cast option. Lo and behold, when man city match started, I used a stream app to watch football on my phone then I now casted it to TV. O boy, everything clear.

When I was leaving the house after Chelsea match, I checked my data, despite connecting it to my TV since morning, I didn't blow up to 4g.

So if I used that my 9k I was using to subscribe to DSTV compact and buy Airtel 22g for 5k, I will be on unlimited streaming till month end.

Watch at you own space.

In addition, some of these documentaries that is been shown on nat geographic gold and wild, discovery channel, investigation ID, there episodes are there on YouTube. All you need is to search for it.

In addition, there is a radio app on the smart TV that brings to you plenty radio channels both home and abroad. What I haven't confirmed is if it's live or pre recorded.
which App did you use to stream the match with your phone
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by UnknownT: 4:41pm On May 13
Zonefree:
I didn't even consume up to 1.1gb to watch Chelsea match with my tab yesterday. I don charge my tab to full waiting for Ngozi united and Arsenal match by 4.30pm.

God punish multi choice.

I don pack the decoder and their useless remote for wardrobe. I no do again.
which App do you use to stream matches on your phone?
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Belleful: 4:45pm On May 13
Zonefree:
I didn't even consume up to 1.1gb to watch Chelsea match with my tab yesterday. I don charge my tab to full waiting for Ngozi united and Arsenal match by 4.30pm.

God punish multi choice.

I don pack the decoder and their useless remote for wardrobe. I no do again.

So a whole Manchester United na u Dey call ngozi United? Chelsea na maza maza boys fc
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Koralords: 4:45pm On May 13
djoe21:

I didn't see it on play store
You buy dish just like dstv installation is like 25k after that 5k monthly
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Love800(m): 4:46pm On May 13
I dont understand dis.
Can you be more clearer pls?
jamesversion:

That was why I asked him the size of his TV. My 65" 4K High definition TV cannot join this conversation. grin
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by yad2eidi: 4:47pm On May 13
Rich4god:

Watch at you own space.

THIS ONE IS MAD. INSTEAD OF ALL THIS, WHY NOT USE GOTV? DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH STREAMING CONSUMES?
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Nodogragra4me(m): 4:49pm On May 13
DavidEsq:

On a 50 inch TV screen abi? Dey play

The size of the TV is inconsequential. It is the standard you decide to watch the movie that counts .....

There is standard
There hd
There is 4k

The same movie on the different standards requires different data with 4k eating more

For me , either standard or hd is enough and with 20g for 3k from Airtel you won't even finish It

How many hours do I have to invest in TV ....right now, nobody is at home including my kids

In the evening everybody just wants to eat and sleep

Basically TV is for Saturdays and Sundays relaxation

1 Like

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by yad2eidi: 4:49pm On May 13
nabiz:
bros it is more expensive to stream. Especially if you are addicted like watching 4k content like me. I dont enjoy a movie that lacks high definition picture quality. To me streaming is more expensive. The only advantage I have is on streaming is you have unlimited contents. You decide what to watch unlike the boring cables.
EXACTY. don't mind these people jare
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by jamesversion: 4:52pm On May 13
Love800:
I dont understand dis.
Can you be more clearer pls?

The bigger the size of your TV set, the more data it consumes. A 45 inch TV will consume more data than a 35 inch TV.

special features of the TV such as 4K resolution or 8k on Quantum dots technology will further deplet the data.

So while someone with a 45 inch regular smart TV may use 22GIG data for one month, another with a 65 inch 4K resolution TV might use up dame 22GIG data in 2weeks or less.

1 Like

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Ameboperoo(m): 4:53pm On May 13
michlins:
The day you will discover IPTV, I don't know what you will do.

Combine it with Airtel 35k unlimited data plan monthly, you're set for family enjoyment
Instead of Airtel 35k, is starlink not better at 38k monthly? Truly unlimited o
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Nodogragra4me(m): 4:54pm On May 13
jamesversion:

That was why I asked him the size of his TV. My 65" 4K High definition TV cannot join this conversation. grin

It is the 4k that is consuming.

Whether it is 14 inch 4k It is the same data.

If you go to YouTube and decide to download,It shows you the different standards whether you want to down with Tecno or Samsung or iOS is if no concern

1 Like

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by yad2eidi: 4:55pm On May 13
eepeepook:
Bring an end of month report and I’ll believe you.
exactly. paying for gotv or dstv is cheaper than 24 hours streaming. except if he streams 1 hour a day

1 Like

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Love800(m): 4:56pm On May 13
I understood it perfectly.
Thank you.

So the size of t.v, determines data usage!
First time am hearing it sha.
Thanks so much.
jamesversion:

The bigger the size of your TV set, the more data it consumes. A 45 inch TV will consume more data than a 35 inch TV.

special features of the TV such as 4K resolution or 8k on Quantum dots technology will further deplet the data.

So while someone with a 45 inch regular smart TV may use 22GIG data for one month, another with a 65 inch 4K resolution TV might use up dame 22GIG data in 2weeks or less.
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by josh005(m): 4:56pm On May 13
strangest:

You can still get 40Gb on your Airtel with 5k... Ask me how

Abeg, how??
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by GentleBosss: 4:56pm On May 13
Asquare84:

i am interested
check my profile ND send me a message on Whatsapp
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Mirasteel: 4:57pm On May 13
People don't use cable these days, it's either smart TV or nothing. don't waste your money subscribing on a worthless decoder that will be showing the same movies repeatedly.

1 Like

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Nodogragra4me(m): 4:58pm On May 13
jamesversion:

That is not true

Size of TV doesn't determine anything.

HD is the same size on all phones

Standard is standard
4k is 4k everywhere

1 Like

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by blaise26abj(m): 4:58pm On May 13
decatalyst:
You just dey discover say it saves cost to stream?

I have successfully stopped subscribing on GoTV since 6-7years now. Why did I stop?
I remember I subscribed that month and discovered that the channels didn't fully load. I called their contact center and I was told they have removed the channels.

The lady that picked the call sounded so nonchalant, and that the remover is their choice and no need to inform the customer. I stopped subscribing the next month. They have called me tire since then, offered me incentives and inducements, I haven't changed my decision.

Monthly, I simply activate MTN's 200GB on my 5G router and enjoy movies of choice, YouTube, football etc.

I like the be in control and doing streaming gives me control cuz I have not subscription running whether I watch or not. I can also control my data usage. Some months, nah 110GB I use, some 150GB and I just roll over the data.

Since I saw the increase in bouquet I just dey laugh 😄

Brotherly , I watch all Dstv premium channels with less than 10k per month . I actually thought it was streamed online until I discovered it was in the same timeline as Dstv . Super sports and all . God punish devil . I know a lot of my friends who stopped subscribing with this new increment . Dstv will suffer well this time .

1 Like

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by bionixs: 5:00pm On May 13
poiZon:

U dey play, Tinubu will do 8yrs which will be 16yrs of APC, then if he handover to Shettima, forget it, na another 16yrs loading.
Bookmark this...
oga don't derail this thread with this your cursed political rubbish you are about to start.

They will do 100 years . Now talk on the matter on ground.

1 Like

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by succri(m): 5:03pm On May 13
No worry you just dey start , at one point 120gb no go reach 1 month grin
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by bionixs: 5:03pm On May 13
techgen:

Lolz…Apc BaT wouldn’t win 2027.
His policies are not adding up…everybody Dey hear am…there would be mass revolt.

#just watch
oga , get out of here ! Say something meaningful for once .

We are discussing TV!
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by eepeepook: 5:07pm On May 13
yad2eidi:
exactly. paying for gotv or dstv is cheaper than 24 hours streaming. except if he streams 1 hour a day
They don’t want to listen.
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Nodogragra4me(m): 5:11pm On May 13
Love800:
I understood it perfectly.
Thank you.

So the size of t.v, determines data usage!
First time am hearing it sha.
Thanks so much.

He doesn't know what he is discussing

Size has nothing to do with it .
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by GentleBosss: 5:12pm On May 13
Asquare84:

i am interested please
check my profile and send me a message on Whatsapp
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by maasoap(m): 5:12pm On May 13
Heffalump:

If 30% of subscribers can withdraw from DSTV and GoTv, the incessant price increase will definitely stop. I pray their revenue to plunge also by mass withdrawal.
Nonsense.

More than 30% subscribers don't have any other option this time around than to put away their decoders. They will lose more than that figure this time

2 Likes

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by GentleBosss: 5:13pm On May 13
Scamburster:

I hv check your profile but nothing to contact you.
how can I contact u. Go tru my post u will see a post I made about iptv
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by GentleBosss: 5:14pm On May 13
Scamburster:

I should download it from playstore and cast it through my smart tv?
what's the make of ur smart tv. LG, Samsung etc
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Dollywood(m): 5:15pm On May 13
Cable TV is better. With streaming you’d experience inconsistent viewing experience caused by internet connection which will ultimately lead to buffering and most times low quality streaming where the video quality drops from 760p to 240p. Even with your data you won’t enjoy your favorite TV shows and matches all the time because of that. And might end up spending more on data.

2 Likes

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by GentleBosss: 5:19pm On May 13
Abimbola29:

Pls let me know about IPTV pls
I provide IPTV service, check my profile post for more info
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by CaptainFM1: 5:20pm On May 13
Scamburster:

Throw more light please.

Download official Kodi from app store. From the Kodi app, install super repository addons to install all global channels in one place (Kodi).

It's not so easy if you're not tech or computer inclined. Here's one great repo "https://team-crew.github.io"
Configure daddylive addon as explained below and you're good for a start

https://troypoint.com/daddylive-kodi-addon/

You need a good, steady and reliable network to enjoy IPTV in general!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply)

Alexx Ekubo Shaves Off His Beard For AY's Movie Project (Photo, Video) / Ozo Dances With Nengi During BBNaija Grand Finale (Video) / Nigerians React To Miracle & Nina's Sex Scene On Big Brother Naija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.