Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,711 members, 7,844,348 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 07:05 PM

I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv (66947 Views)

Arin BBNaija: I Knew People Would Judge My Appearance On The Show / Cee-cCs Sister Replies Uriel: I Never Knew How Many Demons She Has Been Fighting / #bbnaija2018: Miracle And Nina Knew Themselves Before Coming To The House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by folake4u(f): 5:35pm On May 12
doggedfighter:

Ehh ,na sooo 😂😂

Let me accept bro

Abi you nor wan chop Nkwobi? tongue
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by folake4u(f): 5:37pm On May 12
Rich4god:

If its not there, how will you assume its female... Even when males are behind some of the F that you are seeing.

That is another angle.

There are also some monickers that gives the feminine vibe without the M/F tag attached to it.
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by waze63(m): 5:39pm On May 12
Rich4god:
For more than 2 years I have been consistently subscribing to DSTV, from last year march till last month, I was on price lock on 9k for compact. No doubt I was actually enjoying dstv especially premier league football.

So my subscription expired last week and I checked the new price for compact, it was 15k+. Geskiya I said I can't be subscribing again. The money is too much. Thanks almost 180k per year.

So yesterday, I was at home, was now playing around with my TV apps, what I saw really amazed me.

There are plenty apps that shows children movies, another ones shows action films, though old, but they are interesting. There is an afroland TV that shows Nigerian movies. This afroland shows live France 24 news. There is Plex TV that shows live channels and still have movies too.

Then I discovered that Al Jazeera, channels TV and some other news channels shows live on YouTube. Worst of it all is that, on YouTube there are some personal channels that have full videos on movies both foreign and locals, with very recent cartoons.

Then I said let me test the cast option. Lo and behold, when man city match started, I used a stream app to watch football on my phone then I now casted it to TV. O boy, everything clear.

I watched Man city, Tottenham and Chelsea matches.

When I was leaving the house after Chelsea match, I checked my data, despite connecting it to my TV since morning, I didn't blow up to 4g.

So if I used that my 9k I was using to subscribe to DSTV compact and buy Airtel 22g for 5k, I will be on unlimited streaming till month end.

Watch at you own space.

In addition, some of these documentaries that is been shown on nat geographic gold and wild, discovery channel, investigation ID, there episodes are there on YouTube. All you need is to search for it.

My brothers and sisters....

Bye bye to DSTV and other paid TV.

In addition, there is a radio app on the smart TV that brings to you plenty radio channels both home and abroad. What I haven't confirmed is if it's live or pre recorded.

Please what model is your smart tv and which of the streaming apps do you use on your phone?

Thanks for sharing
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Rich4god(m): 6:01pm On May 12
waze63:

Please what model is your smart tv and which of the streaming apps do you use on your phone?

Thanks for sharing

Is hisense....

It has a Vidaa app that comes with plenty streaming platforms.

To watch ball, I stress with livefooty.

1 Like

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by ShoeGetSize: 6:21pm On May 12
So na here you come hide yourself Mr Toh🤣

helinues:
Cable na waste of money. Just get unlimited internet and you are good to go

The major global media are on YouTube to stream live, there are several websites to stream sporting activities live
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Ezmans: 6:31pm On May 12
nabiz:
na children na. Even family visitors lol
they should reduce it, it has negative affect in children
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by jamesversion: 8:34pm On May 12
Rich4god:
For more than 2 years I have been consistently subscribing to DSTV, from last year march till last month, I was on price lock on 9k for compact. No doubt I was actually enjoying dstv especially premier league football.

So my subscription expired last week and I checked the new price for compact, it was 15k+. Geskiya I said I can't be subscribing again. The money is too much. Thanks almost 180k per year.

So yesterday, I was at home, was now playing around with my TV apps, what I saw really amazed me.

There are plenty apps that shows children movies, another ones shows action films, though old, but they are interesting. There is an afroland TV that shows Nigerian movies. This afroland shows live France 24 news. There is Plex TV that shows live channels and still have movies too.

Then I discovered that Al Jazeera, channels TV and some other news channels shows live on YouTube. Worst of it all is that, on YouTube there are some personal channels that have full videos on movies both foreign and locals, with very recent cartoons.

Then I said let me test the cast option. Lo and behold, when man city match started, I used a stream app to watch football on my phone then I now casted it to TV. O boy, everything clear.

When I was leaving the house after Chelsea match, I checked my data, despite connecting it to my TV since morning, I didn't blow up to 4g.

So if I used that my 9k I was using to subscribe to DSTV compact and buy Airtel 22g for 5k, I will be on unlimited streaming till month end.

Watch at you own space.

In addition, some of these documentaries that is been shown on nat geographic gold and wild, discovery channel, investigation ID, there episodes are there on YouTube. All you need is to search for it.

In addition, there is a radio app on the smart TV that brings to you plenty radio channels both home and abroad. What I haven't confirmed is if it's live or pre recorded.

What is the size of your TV?

1 Like

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by ItsTutsi(m): 8:43pm On May 12
Please how can i access/stream Discovery Id, TCL, BET and E entertainment? These are major interest
Fibonacci88:

I don't know the name o. But I got it via someone here on nairaland. 3k monthly subscription for endless channels and thousands of movies and series. Just check the tv session u should be able to connect with someone.
[
Rich4god:

You dont have to subscribe for casting. Once your phone have casting feature. you open the casting feature on your tv then use it to search for your phone. Once connected just like bluetooth, what ever that is showing on your phone will be displayed on your TV.

Simple.
quote author=Rich4god post=129911895]For more than 2 years I have been consistently subscribing to DSTV, from last year march till last month, I was on price lock on 9k for compact. No doubt I was actually enjoying dstv especially premier league football.

Watch at you own space.

In addition, there is a radio app on the smart TV that brings to you plenty radio channels both home and abroad. What I haven't confirmed is if it's live or pre recorded.[/quote]
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by jamesversion: 8:43pm On May 12
tuoyoojo:
God help u if u have a 65 inches ultra high definition TV.

It does to data what V8 engine does to fuel

That was why I asked him the size of his TV. My 65" 4K High definition TV cannot join this conversation. grin

5 Likes

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by ManirBK: 9:00pm On May 12
nlfpmod pls come o
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by 1x2x3: 3:32am On May 13
Fibonacci88:

I don't know the name o. But I got it via someone here on nairaland. 3k monthly subscription for endless channels and thousands of movies and series. Just check the tv session u should be able to connect with someone.

Thanks.
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Nlanalyst: 7:22am On May 13
Rich4god:

I was shocked to see that I used 4gb to stream on my TV from morning till after Chelsea match yesterday.

As someone that goes to work and only watch TV during the evening hours, 10gb is far far enough for me for the month. So 20gb of 5k will serve two months.
20gb for two months?? Streaming?
Brah, not possible.

4 Likes

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by DaddyYankee: 9:49am On May 13
Rich4god:

YOu wont get discovery channel live, but on youtube, you can search for the particular program you want to watch.

Take for instance, on Nat Geo Wild, there are programs like "Savage Kingdom", "Animal Fight Night", "Predators vs Prey".

All you need to do is to go to youtube and search for the programs, you will see them episode by episode.
I have searched but did not see Discovery ID programs like full videos. Just few programs with 50 or less seconds runtime. Like i seached Murder Comes To Town but nothing reasonable came up
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Rechargeam247(f): 12:27pm On May 13
You can get up to 20% discount doing your data with us😉

1 Like

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by BuyMeBanger: 12:34pm On May 13
Really enjoyed reading your(@Rich4god) cash saving discovery, good for you smiley.

Does anyone remember the golden days of cable back in the 90's before internet hit the homes cool
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by AnyanwuSilas: 12:36pm On May 13
The only good thing about DSTV is football leagues.
I don't even enjoy football watching it alone, I go out where people are gathering to watch it.

5 Likes

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Sheuns(m): 12:36pm On May 13
I do not even have any cable tv in my apartment. Just my smart tv, playstation, internet and Netflix subscription. I watch tv seldomly. I stream champions league matches on some websites. I do not watch EPL like that because I am not a fan of any EPL club. Most I watch are highlights on youtube and my FPL.

I do not have any need for cable TV.

4 Likes

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by meum: 12:37pm On May 13
IPTV is the way! Watch premium TV stations including ds tv stations.
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by tayor3(m): 12:38pm On May 13
Make i give you one app to enjoy movies, just like Netflix no sub.
Rich4god:

E dey even vex me say I discover am late.

I have been subscribing for years plus the fact that me and my wife aren't always at home.

So technically speaking, the subscription go just waste.
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by occfx: 12:38pm On May 13
Rich4god:

Watch at you own space.

If you can subscribe to premium iptv for 1yr...just about the same price as dstv compact+, you will wonder what ignorance do to human beings

7 Likes

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Paraman: 12:38pm On May 13
Rich4god:

I was shocked to see that I used 4gb to stream on my TV from morning till after Chelsea match yesterday.

As someone that goes to work and only watch TV during the evening hours, 10gb is far far enough for me for the month. So 20gb of 5k will serve two months.
20gb won't serve you for football alone in a month sef

Go and buy Airtel 5G router and enjoy their unlimited data
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Mobahd: 12:39pm On May 13
You said you own DStv
Not knowing it's just gotv
Ol boy go and sit down jare
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Crafteck1: 12:39pm On May 13
You are all wrong, you need at least 70 to 150gb per month, also reduce resolution for streams

4 Likes

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Moniya4Real(m): 12:40pm On May 13
How i wished i’d be able to stream like you guys but netflix isn’t no longer even supported on my ‘Smart Samsung tv’ i just bought. Didn’t know until i took it home. And i was told it can’t be upgraded.
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Omodua(m): 12:40pm On May 13
Rich4god:

How do we go about it. Educate us please.

1 Like

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by AskNgige2: 12:41pm On May 13
decatalyst:
You just dey discover say it saves cost to stream?

I have successfully stopped subscribing on GoTV since 6-7years now. Why did I stop?
I remember I subscribed that month and discovered that the channels didn't fully load. I called their contact center and I was told they have removed the channels.

The lady that picked the call sounded so nonchalant, and that the remover is their choice and no need to inform the customer. I stopped subscribing the next month. They have called me tire since then, offered me incentives and inducements, I haven't changed my decision.

Monthly, I simply activate MTN's 200GB on my 5G router and enjoy movies of choice, YouTube, football etc.

I like the be in control and doing streaming gives me control cuz I have not subscription running whether I watch or not. I can also control my data usage. Some months, nah 110GB I use, some 150GB and I just roll over the data.

Since I saw the increase in bouquet I just dey laugh 😄
met too since last year i stop sub

But some movies are not complete on YouTube.. especially 24 series
I want to start seeing that movie again
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Tealcrestmedia(m): 12:41pm On May 13
Rich4god:

Welcome to the light. I use Fibre one unlimited and I don't think I have any business again with cable sub. The good thing about streaming is, you control what you watch and with time you'd see yourself start watching productive things especially on YouTube. Endless tutorials on almost every Field. However if you're a vain person, all that data will be wasted on unproductive things like p*rn. So internet requires discipline.

You can buy data from us www.bytelinkz.com. Because of this your thread, we will adjust our Airtel 20GB price to slightly below 5k (it's currently 5k for 20gb) to allow more people enjoy uninterrupted streaming. We are fine with making smaller profit ✅

2 Likes

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by KoladeChris24(m): 12:43pm On May 13
Rich4god:

Which Smart TV are you using sir

Watch at you own space.

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Enemyofpeace: 12:43pm On May 13
Please come and sell the TV to me. I'm ready to pay you 30k, cash.
Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by greggng: 12:43pm On May 13
Does it mean that the sltv is not functioning well ? I thought with 5k you watch everything?

3 Likes

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by halmat(m): 12:44pm On May 13
Rich4god:

Even as a family, there is every tendency that you won't finish 40gb data in a month on streaming. And to get 40gb, ot cost averagely 10k.

How often do you use your TV? What resolution do you stream at?

Cable is waaaaaay cheaper. 15k for something I only have to worry about connecting my cable to my decoder?

Problems that come with streaming, you need high speed internet, you need data subscription, you would hope that your streaming platform doesn’t buffer. You would hope your streaming platform supports high resolution.

For every cheaper alternative, there are hidden costs.

Pay 15k and only worry about when rain is falling. Gaskiya.

8 Likes

Re: I Have A Smart Tv, Never Knew I Was Wasting Money On Dstv by Tealcrestmedia(m): 12:46pm On May 13
Moniya4Real:
How i wished i’d be able to stream like you guys but netflix isn’t no longer even supported on my ‘Smart Samsung tv’ i just bought. Didn’t know until i took it home. And i was told it can’t be upgraded.

Use browser na. No chrome? Or if you have a laptop, use a hdmi cord.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

BBNaija: Vee Wrestled With Ka3na To Sleep Beside Praise / Don Jazzy And Ebuka Unveiled As Big Brother Naija Ambassadors (Photos) / Destiny Etiko Shaves Hair In 'Private Part' New Movie (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.