Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,089 members, 7,845,594 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss (17470 Views)

Police, Makinde Disagree Over Attack On Titi Atiku / Probe Panel Indicts Lawal Daura Over N8.2bn Pension Fund / 2019: Saraki, Atiku, Kwankwaso Disagree Over Presidential Ticket (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by fortunateme: 9:05pm On May 12
lwisee:
Who dey subsidize who dey complain.

IMF abeg leave us alone
In life never tell your helper to leave you alone.

2 Likes

Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by Procashtips(m): 9:09pm On May 12
EdiskyHarry:
Buhari was the worst president in the history of Africa, but was 100 million times better than the useless man we have now, atleast buhari had a direction. Tinubu is just moving with no direction, no plan, no sense, no nothing.
Only to say " it's my turn"

You know nothing about African leadership.

1 Like

Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by Fujiyama: 9:11pm On May 12
nairalanda1:
We can only have our own refinereis if we remove subsides completely and allow the market set the price of fuel...which would make refining profitable in Nigeria, and would make people go into refining since they can make a profit.

Plus banks and other financial institutions would be willing to lend any investor money to build refineries. SO that dangote does not have all the fun .

^^^
Ok.

The subsidy on fuel imports will go. It is only a matter of time. And if your predictions do not materialize when the subsidy goes, there'll be nowhere for you to hide then.

By some accounts, inflation is projected to hit the region of 40% later on this year. If the administration fully removes the current subsidy, prices will rise even higher and this economy will overheat and burn itself to ashes. What happens then?

It isn't enough to natter on and on about subsidy removal. Each of the policy choices facing us has very real consequences (as your mentor BAT has found out to great cost). I will repeat the question again: what happens to inflation if you succeed in goading your principal on this subsidy removal issue till he gives in? How will he manage the fallout?

You have said nothing about the external factors at play. There are 2 major conflicts (Russia/Ukraine...Israel/Hamas) going on at the moment with the potential to seriously threaten supply chains and global energy supplies. Those conflicts could escalate significantly in the coming weeks or months - and other as yet unaticipated conflicts could also break out anytime, without warning. If the price of crude oil reaches triple digit levels, what happens to your economy since it depends exclusively on fuel imports? undecided
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by Kanixt(m): 9:14pm On May 12
Bluntemperor:

Good,but if goods and services are to come down, Production Sector / Industrial Sector should be the Focus and be at Maximum!
Let's do the analysis of the sectors that readily comes to mind:
1- Agric --low much are they Producing because we don't hear both Ministers ( Minister of State included).
This is a vast Sector that should be able to feed ALL Nigerians,if well harmonised,but none of those leaders heading the Sector is talking or are doing anything for us to lay our hands on! We only know when they spend the Annual Budgets,as usual.
2.Industries - honestly,Mrs Uzoka-has been up and down on these Industries but she is handicapped because of No -Light,as almost all industries are on Generators in Nigeria!
3.Power/ Light Sector:
•Untill we Nigerians get it into our Facility that - without Govt Fixing this All Important Sector,we can't move forward, neither can Nigeria Employe her 30% Youths - who are restless because of the Age Grades and because there is no job!
- what is the States Governors doing in providing lights?
- Where is the Power Minister-in all this? I really pity this Minister-because since independence/ Decades ago,No Improvement in this Sector- because of Corruption!
YET THIS POWER SECTOR DRIVES ALL- OTHER SECTORS OF THE ECONOMY and we are failing in Generating and Distributing Power - let us ask DISCOS - why there is no Constant Lights?
• Ghana And Republic of Benin have all Stopped -using Generators to run their businesses.How is Nigeria going to do it and move fast about it?
4.Production that is Export Driven;
- the more we Export our goods and Services,the greater the FOREX!
Even now these Products in Nigeria are few and expensive because we have had all been used to Subsidies - of the Crude Oil!

You said all and well
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by Omalicious1: 9:22pm On May 12
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by DeepSight(m): 9:28pm On May 12
BigDawsNet:

Whats the secrets in Qatar and UaE... I believe citizens and residents don't pay taxes

They are micro states with a very very tiny population of citizens and vast income from oil, so much so that the state can afford to cover all their needs without breaking a sweat.

Just imagine Nigeria, with its current oil income, had a population of say, 1 million people only.
Your lives should be sorted. But you know, there is nothing corruption and greed cannot destroy.

1 Like

Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by nairalanda1(m): 9:28pm On May 12
Israel07:

You're not!.
You said it's good that this government removed subsidy claiming landing cost would have created a huge deficit while the person you quoted was saying it would have been better it was left the way it was.
Landing cost would have almost remained the same if the Naira wasn't floated and subsidy was left in place. The change in landing cost is as a result of bad implementation of this two policies. I'm surprised at how fast you changed ur stance on your support for the government which is what you clearly did and went as far as claiming that him wanting subsidy to remain would have meant huge deficit that will strain the government to cover.
All this is not the issue at hand.
Naira is being backed yet no improvement, neither did it go back to its original value before it was floated now subsidy is as well back, almost double the amount of the past government while fuel is at over #500. This is what you should be talking about if you claim to see things as they are

I have told you the truth, but like most people on this sites,you don't want to see it.

You want to just call me agbado.

Enjoy your fresh debt. It's only 17 trillion naira

1 Like

Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by nairalanda1(m): 9:29pm On May 12
Fujiyama:

^^^
Ok.

The subsidy on fuel imports will go. It is only a matter of time. And if your predictions do not materialize when the subsidy goes, there'll be nowhere for you to hide then.

By some accounts, inflation is projected to hit the region of 40% later on this year. If the administration fully removes the current subsidy, prices will rise even higher and this economy will overheat and burn itself to ashes. What happens then?

It isn't enough to natter on and on about subsidy removal. Each of the policy choices facing us has very real consequences (as your mentor BAT has found out to great cost). I will repeat the question again: what happens to inflation if you succeed in goading your principal on this subsidy removal issue till he gives in? How will he manage the fallout?

You have said nothing about the external factors at play. There are 2 major conflicts (Russia/Ukraine...Israel/Hamas) going on at the moment with the potential to seriously threaten supply chains and global energy supplies. Those conflicts could escalate significantly in the coming weeks or months - and other as yet unaticipated conflicts could also break out anytime, without warning. If the price of crude oil reaches triple digit levels, what happens to your economy since it depends exclusively on fuel imports? undecided

Or we can keep subsidy and have a debt that would wipe us out.
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by grandstar(m): 9:29pm On May 12
Israel07:

You're making no sense, the removal of subsidy has yielded nothing. That's what the person you quoted is saying. Landing cost wouldn't get to the price you quoted if the subsidy wasn't removed and Naira wasn't floated. If you want to defend this failures in government, do it with a bit of intelligence. The present inflation in the price of commodities was caused by the two policies that was careless implemented without due diligence. The people suffered for nothing, no Money was saved, and if it was saved it is as well gone. Naira was floated only for the government to go back to backing it with Reserve after accusing Emefiele of the same thing, in similar manner fuel subsidy is back yet neither Naira nor Fuel pump price went back to their original value. The situation is very bad and as Patriotic Nigerians it's highly irrational that the masses with a large percentage of plebs among them can't afford a cup of garri no more as it's well over #200 in some parts of the country and you come on here to type rubbish from the comfort of your house. That's highly insensitive of you, children are getting malnourished and starving due to the failure you support.
Tinubu, Buhari and Soyinka claimed subsidy removal was a scam, used it as a propaganda to bundle GEJ out only for Buhari to implement it at the end of his tenure and Tinubu made a complete mess of it.
Why didn't they allow the fuel subsidy to be removed then? It was #145 and Naira was just #160. 9 years of APC and everything is in complete chaos.
Let's be humane and speak the truth at all times. PDD was corrupt but they're saints compared to the hell APC put Nigerians through.

You people never learn and refuse to comprehend!

You talk of humane? Is it humane to borrow trillions of Naira to pay for petrol subsidies? It is bankrupting the nation! You refuse to grasp that because you think it's inhumane to remove the subsidy.

What many of you fail to realize is that the petrol subsidy is improverishing everyone. Government having to borrow to provide the subsidy leads to Naira depreciation, which is turn is highly inflationary, and high inflation hurts the poor the most.

Had Tinubu left the price at 195 to a litre, I won't be surprised if the exchange rate hit 2,500 or worse to the dollar

Tinubu, should have deregulated the price of petrol just has it was done to diesel and kerosene. The price increase would likely be one-off and benevolent as it would spur investment in the downstream sector of the economy and reduce waste.

There are better ways to help the common man. Slash import duty on agricultural produce such as rice, wheat. and poultry to 20%. This will bring down the price of food. Presently, the import duty on wheat is 70%. Imagined if it was 20%? Bread would be much cheaper. The government may also generate as much as $1bn as import duty.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by DeepSight(m): 9:31pm On May 12
Fujiyama:

^^^
Ok.

You are discussing with a person who has argued assidoulsy that the only corruption in Nigeria is caused by the presence of fuel subsidy. Just letting you know, so you know what you are up against.

1 Like

Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by nairalanda1(m): 9:36pm On May 12
DeepSight:

You are discussing with a person who has argued assidoulsy that the only corruption in Nigeria is caused by the presence of fuel subsidy. Just letting you know, so you know what you are up against.

You are also very wrong about my comments and beliefs.

Anyway, life goes on

If subsidy goes, the corruption associated with it goes. The general corruption in Nigeria is a different matter and it must be fought

But of course, you won't believe it.

Good evening
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by DeepSight(m): 9:38pm On May 12
nairalanda1:

Anyway, life goes on

You said so repeatedly. Own it.
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by DeepSight(m): 9:39pm On May 12
nairalanda1:

Anyway, life goes on

If subsidy goes, the corruption associated with it goes. The general corruption in Nigeria is a different matter and it must be fought

But of course, you won't believe it.

Good evening

Now you edit your statement. You previously argued what I said repeatedly. I even asked you how you could think so repeatedly. When did you wake up to the fact that corruption exists with or without and outside subsidy?
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by nairalanda1(m): 9:40pm On May 12
DeepSight:

You said so repeatedly. Own it.

If subsidy goes the corruption associated with it goes.

The general corruption in Nigeria is different and it must be fought

But ultimately, my point is this, price controls and subsidies do not work. They wreck the sector affected.

If you cannot see that, well..

Good evening. You don't have to lie or misrepresent me because you don't agree with me. Allowing bitterness to control you is not good for you.
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by nairalanda1(m): 9:41pm On May 12
DeepSight:

Now you edit your statement. You previously argued what I said repeatedly. I even asked you how you could think so repeatedly. When did you wake up to the fact that corruption exists with or without and outside subsidy?

Okay, you are free to believe that I am evil.

Good evening, good and righteous man
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by DeepSight(m): 9:43pm On May 12
nairalanda1:

Okay, you are free to believe that I am evil.

Good evening, good and righteous man

You are not evil, you are just hideosly limited in your thinking and easily deceived. There is a saying that a little learning is a terrible thing. That's the case with you.

Half schooling, its a beast.
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by DeepSight(m): 9:45pm On May 12
nairalanda1:

If subsidy goes the corruption associated with it goes.

The general corruption in Nigeria is different and it must be fought

But ultimately, my point is this, price controls and subsidies do not work. They wreck the sector affected.

If you cannot see that, well..

Good evening. You don't have to lie or misrepresent me because you don't agree with me. Allowing bitterness to control you is not good for you.

I simply dont have the time to go fetch your quotes.

You are the one telling puerile and cowardly lies. You should own your statements and have the integrity to say, oh, I was wrong there, or oh, I didnt express myself properly, etc.
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by nairalanda1(m): 9:52pm On May 12
DeepSight:

I simply dont have the time to go fetch your quotes.

You are the one telling puerile and cowardly lies. You should own your statements and have the integrity to say, oh, I was wrong there, or oh, I didnt express myself properly, etc.

Ah well, you are angry with me because things cost money.

It does not have to make you mad.

Subsidy must go. It has to. Otherwise, we will run out of money, and you won't like it.

cheesy

And you are a good defender of the Nigerian people. I see you care for them. But the thing is, not everything is good at all times. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by nairalanda1(m): 9:54pm On May 12
DeepSight:

You are not evil, you are just hideosly limited in your thinking and easily deceived. There is a saying that a little learning is a terrible thing. That's the case with you.

Half schooling, its a beast.

AH, the abuse has started.

As for me, I may have a little learning, but I think that selling something that cost N1000 to make at N100 in order to help the poor, while putting a lot of people out of business, and causing a huge loss in investment, and driving up the debt, and causing a loss of jobs, that would help the poor...to say nothing of making a bad corruption problem worse is, after all, a good thing in your mind.

You are getting too upset over the fact that things cost money. It should not upset you.

1 Like

Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by nairalanda1(m): 9:56pm On May 12
DeepSight:

Do you know that feeling of absolute disgust you get in the pit of your stomach when you read or see something on social media you know isn’t true? Or at least, you don’t agree with or believe to be true?

So, you decide to engage by commenting. The next thing you know, you're embroiled in a keyboard flame war arguing on the internet with a complete stranger.

Your heart rate goes up right along with your disgust as you scroll and respond to inflammatory remarks after insults, finger-pointing, accusations, and overall dehumanizing language.

There’s absolutely nothing you can do about it as your blood pressure begins to boil. It’s like watching — OK, reading — a train wreck. But you can’t seem to stop!

Suddenly, you toss your phone in frustration across the room and wonder why you continue to engage. Then you realize that another 30 minutes of your life has passed that you can’t get back
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by nairalanda1(m): 10:00pm On May 12
grandstar:

You people never learn and refuse to comprehend!

You talk of humane? Is it humane to borrow trillions of Naira to pay for petrol subsidies? It is bankrupting the nation! You refuse to grasp that because you think it's inhumane to remove the subsidy.

What many of you fail to realize is that the petrol subsidy is improverishing everyone. Government having to borrow to provide the subsidy leads to Naira depreciation, which is turn is highly inflationary, and high inflation hurts the poor the most.

Had Tinubu left the price at 195 to a litre, I won't be surprised if the exchange rate hit 2,500 or worse to the dollar

Tinubu, should have deregulated the price of petrol just has it was done to diesel and kerosene. The price increase would likely be one-off and benevolent as it would spur investment in the downstream sector of the economy and reduce waste.

There are better ways to help the common man. Slash import duty on agricultural produce such as rice, wheat. and poultry to 20%. This will bring down the price of food. Presently, the import duty on wheat is 70%. Imagined if it was 20%? Bread would be much cheaper. The government may also generate as much as $1bn as import duty.

It's not just the exchange rate hitting 2500 to dollar, it's the deficit that results that scares the hell out of me. Most of our money going to a large hole that has to be filled, and it would be with loans

And IMF is already giving us negative vibes, and I doubt the chinese or russians would want to even give us more money

And debt is consuming 70% of our income.

But no, give us cheap fuel.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by nairalanda1(m): 10:01pm On May 12
DeepSight:

1) Facts are Irrelevant, Emotions are Everything

In a face to face discussion, new information is evaluated, and if accepted, the belief adjusted to account for this new perspective. In an internet argument, new information is treated as a personal insult. Grounds for war, roughly equivalent to slapping a king with the axed-off arm of their favorite jester. On the internet, you are what you believe, and changing what you believe means changing who you are. You're wearing yesterday's underwear, imagine how much more difficult it is to adjust to a whole new concept of self.

You can't change what they believe, but you can change how they feel. If you want to win them over, make them feel like they're understood. Show them you recognize their identity, what impact their material conditions have on their day to day life. Show them you understand why they feel the way they feel. That's how you get them to drop your guard and listen to you.

But! You don't want to win them over, do you? Bleep no. You're a nasty little puke with a wound on your soul and you want to shit around and hurt someone. You want an excuse to be a prick and feel like you're furthering an agenda while doing it. Don't act like this isn't about you. Spend sixteen hours a day staring at a camera and you think it doesn't stare back? I see you squirming.

2) To Win, Have More Fun Than Them.

Granted, fun is a foreign concept to the irony-poisoned, but hear me out. Those who know only misery will seek to drag you down to their level and extinguish whatever joy you've got left inside. Nothing makes that type of dickbag burn out faster than realizing their attempts to wound a foe are yielding the opposite effect. When an asshole encounters fun, it rankles them because it remains an experience out of reach. Something longed for but ultimately denied, like how your partner experiences orgasms.

Imagine what it must feel like for the gluten intolerant to sit outside the windows of italian bakeries and gaze longingly at cannolis. That's what fun is to the asshole, the forbidden joy which envelops a painful reminder of what their life lacks. Baked goods are extremely dramatic.

The upside to having fun is, in the impossibly small chance that anyone else reads your posts, they'll be drawn to your insolucant joviality. You also get to pretend to be happy, instead of actually being mad. That's probably good for your heartmeats or brain juices or whatever. Chakras.

3) Ignore Your Errors, Highlight Theirs

Those acting in bad faith will take an admission of error and expand it into the most profound human failing possible, regardless of it's actual validity or severity. You cannot ever acknowledge your wrongdoings or shortcomings, because doing so is allowing your opponent to define the course of the rest of the conversation.

Everything you have to explain to the audience has all the same impact as an axe lodged between your shoulderblades. In an internet argument, all you have to do is disqualify your target to turn the people against them, and each honest mistake you try to justify counts as another reason to ignore your words.

This is why it's absolute suicide to make an argument from a position of your own identity, because it presents a massive direct target right on your most vulnerable core. It's hard to make a case against someone based strictly on what they think and believe, but attacking a person's identity pulls the chair right out from under the noose.

For example, if you discovered you were debating someone who, say, admitted to impersonating another race for several decades, there's quite a bit of hay to be made of that, even if said race held them blameless. Obviously someone lying about something like that is capable of lying about anything. And someone who could lie about anything is capable of utterly impossible crimes. Alligator arson. Grapefruit buggery. Unlicensed demolition of Thursday. The mind reels at not the facts, but the implications.

You can never directly acknowledge your shortcomings, because admitting a wrongdoing opens the conversation onto just how wrong it was. If you never cop to it, the conversation stalls on the question of guilt without ever assigning blame. Did he or didn't he? Even when it's obvious he did, refusing to admit it means the opposition now has to re-argue the case for why he did, instead of making the case about how bad he is for having done the doings that he did do, when he did do doing them.

This is how, say, a dictator slash corrupt real estate dipshit escapes crimes that have sunk vastly more charismatic sex offenders, he moves the conversation effortlessly past "did he do it", skipping "if he did do it, how bad was it really," pausing briefly at "if it was really bad he would have been punished" before flying onto the next outrage du jor without ever lingering on any one subject long enough for the mechanisms of Justice to seize him in its steely jaws.

Instead of admitting to using a logical fallacy, attack the other person for fixating on logical fallacies. If someone cites facts contrary to your argument, question the validity of the source. The focus can never remain on your argument or identity for too long, because the argument itself isn't the point, it's continuing the argument without having answered for your misdoings.

4) Never Engage With Their Facts

It seems contradictory, if you want to discourage opposing viewpoints, why engage them in argument? Well, the key isn't to engage them so much as it is to use them as a prop to support your own ideological hegemony. Talk beyond your foe until they get so exasperated that they say something to disqualify themselves, then focus exclusively on that.

Newbies will waste their time typing out a point by point rebuttal of everything their opponent says, like anyone gives a shit. Fool! No one will read all that, and your most compelling arguments will get lost in a wall of impotent discourse.

Instead, continually reassert your main point using as many different and convoluted arguments as possible, cherry picking tangents and easily argued quotes from your opponents' posts only to support your own position. Ignore anything they say which could potentially prove you wrong, and instead feign concern and outrage over the form, not substance, of their argument.

Take every slight imaginable. Hem and haw over utterly trivial controversies. Play greviance games, suddenly develop an affinity for class or identity politics. Take the least big of enthusiasm as carte blanche excuse to discount an entire movement. Spellcheck everything. Bore them to tears with your pedantry. You've been training your whole life for this moment, you better waste it with flying colors.

5) Be A Better Friend To Their Friends & Push Them Out Of Their Own Social Circle.

Chances are, if someone's arguing with people online, they're probably a shitty friend who takes their community for granted. Move in next to your target, and reach out to everyone they know under the pretense of being new in town.

You'll need a cover story, but given how much you lie to yourself, I'm sure you'll think of one. Maybe you're a disgraced cobbler from the Isle of Man, or a Welsh revolutionary on the run from the law. Perhaps you're the heir to a historic French cheese farm and are fleeing the responsibilities which come with your high station, secretly hoping to meet some dumpy peasant girl who picks her teeth with hay.

Bring snacks when you visit. Make eye contact and ask them how their day has been. Volunteer to drive them to the airports, hospitals, and even rent a truck when they move. Host killer BBQs and deliberately don't invite your target.

Eventually, your asshole will realize this handsome stranger is stealing their life out from under them, and stop arguing online, thereby proving you right by default. The real victory are the friends you stole along the way.

6) Seduce & Marry Them.

This is the easiest of all the solutions. Anyone who fights strangers online does so because, in psychological terms, they're unfuckable. Just show up to your targets door and introduce yourself as John Doe, Public Sexhaver. Inform them that it's time for their yearly scheduled fucking, and, with their enthusiastic consent, give them the ride of their lives. Do the weird stuff, use a turkey baster. You're not done until their lower half physically separates from their torso and crawls to higher ground.

Text them in the morning. Meet up at that new tapas place for an early supper after your spin class. Go out to their favorite poetry slam and hear them read a sonnet about a cat they know fromInstagram. Start leaving socks and underwear in the bottom drawer of the dresser they aren't using. Go antiquing. Rent a cabin in Deer Isle, Maine. Chase them along a shoreline, till you come to a pine grove whose boughs overhead are so thick with fireflies that it looks for all the world like the night sky has come to make constellations of you.

Hold their hands, there, in that knot of conifers, breathing in all that midsummer Christmas, till the ring in your pocket grows big enough to swallow you both, and kneel. Ask them to marry you. Dare them to get sick of your cooking. Swear to love the creases into the corners of their eyes, till your smile spackles over all the cracks in their heart and they fill their lungs tight with laughter. Let the fireflies carry you off to the bluest heaven imaginable.

That way, when you hit them with the Surprise Divorce, you get half their sheep and grain.

7) Drain The Gasoline From Their Car.

This is my favorite because it helps defer the cost of driving all the way to your nemesis's house in the first place.

SAUCE: https://www.somethingawful.com/feature-articles/bad-faith-discourse/

OH, and it costs a lot of money to refine petrol. You cannot sell something that costs over N1100 at N200 and expect miracles.
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by Fujiyama: 10:16pm On May 12
nairalanda1:
Or we can keep subsidy and have a debt that would wipe us out.

^^^
undecided

You won't get off that easy.

What would you do? What would YOUR policy mix be? BAT did a partial subsidy removal - and coupled with the Naira float - the economy is punch drunk right now. It isn't enough for you to trot out the "subsidy is bad refrain" like a broken record. Anyone can say that. A more meaningful path would be to explore your course of action. What would you do right now? Would you go for a full removal and damn the consequences? If inflation began to soar and there were clear and present signs of trouble in the streets - would you stay the course - or would you fold?
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by JuanDeDios: 10:18pm On May 12
BigYash:
Obi no know wetin God do for him.. If they didn’t ringed him out en.. Protest for don full everywhere and these same Apc thugs would have sabotaged his government to make it look like his clueless like their pay master..
Interesting. So it is Labour thugs sabotaging Tinubu's government to make it look like he is clueless?
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by JuanDeDios: 10:22pm On May 12
CharleyBright:

Buhari didn't want Tinubu.
He was the brain behind Ahmed Lawan candidacy at last minute to Garner Northern support when it was obvious El Rufai and co won't back down on supporting Tinubu.
Initially he refused to be attending Tinubu election campaigns even though his wife was. It was when people started to tongue lash him that he was being an ingrate after Tinubu supported him to win election two times that he reluctantly started attending . In his heart Buhari didn't want Tinubu.
I share your views. But if you were asked to take a guess, who would you say he wanted in his heart from the start? It certainly wasn't Ahmed Lastminute Lawan.
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by JuanDeDios: 10:25pm On May 12
nairalanda1:

We can only have our own refinereis if we remove subsides completely and allow the market set the price of fuel...which would make refining profitable in Nigeria, and would make people go into refining since they can make a profit.

Plus banks and other financial institutions would be willing to lend any investor money to build refineries. SO that dangote does not have all the fun .
You're talking about private refineries. But other OPEC governments build public refineries. Our government could have built a refinery and then privatise it if they have to.
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by JuanDeDios: 10:26pm On May 12
viodemus:
Some people are insulting the IMF, have they asked themselves how much Nigeria borrows from the IMF, un, Christian fund, arab bank, eu, brics, asia bank, nato, private people, single countries, etc

but we have the useless mouth to talk about them when they are concerned about the chronic financial irresponsibility, that Nigeria exhibits on a yearly basis.
People need a bogey mean to blame for all their problems.

1 Like

Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by JuanDeDios: 10:29pm On May 12
Ofemannnu:
FG is only paying subsidy partly according to IMF and it is temporary unlike previously.
This is the reason why allocations of states have almost trippled.
This is why FG could give awards and reason why they will be able to pay higher wages (if the states are held accountable by NLC,TUC and NGOs)
True

Nigeria will get better.
Debatable.
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by grandstar(m): 10:31pm On May 12
onatisi:
TINUBU HAS FINALLY FINALLY FINISHED THIS COUNTRY ,
I dont even know what is wrong with Nigerians, how can they believe that someone who is incoherent and cannot make a straight speech without losing it for some minutes will be able to direct the affairs and economy of this great nation the right way ??

It seems his incoherence disappear once he won the election. Many speculate his Balabu sickness was used to deceive the North that he might only be fit to run maximum one term in office, that is if he does not meet the fate as Yar'Adua.
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by JuanDeDios: 10:32pm On May 12
tuoyoojo:

Very indepth analysis
That is actually a very shallow and partisan analysis.
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by Fujiyama: 10:45pm On May 12
DeepSight:
You are discussing with a person who has argued assidoulsy that the only corruption in Nigeria is caused by the presence of fuel subsidy.

^^^
ExactIy.

Time after time he treats our faulty structure, lack of institutions and systemic corruption as little more than footnotes. The subsidy question is the only issue for him. But he will learn. undecided

I and that gentleman go back a long, long way. It was (and perhaps still is) very frustrating to watch him reduce complex, multi-dimensional problems to soundbites and one liners about subsidies. But I have accepted him as he is...and you should too. cheesy These days his posts amuse me more than anything else.

I understand that we may will not all agree on what the problems - and their solutions are. The discussion even may get a little heated sometimes. But it is possible to see some sense in an opposing argument - even if one disagrees with the premise and/or conclusion. It has always been incredible to see how that gentleman minimizes the systemic corruption that is bleeding out this country - to him it is nothing more than a highly overblown issue or a sideshow at most. undecided

You can't even get to the point where you engage him on whether public corruption in our system is a cause or an effect...before you even broach the topic - he plays the subsidy card. How do you even get through to somebody like that? undecided

His new trumpet call is this country's 'industrialization' cheesy. Mention the fact that this country has a power problem...a machine tools industry problem...a capital goods industry problem...a skilled labour problem...etc. and the gentleman will probably dismiss these problems as imaginary. grin
Re: Petrol Subsidy ‘return’: NNPCL, IMF Disagree Over N8.43trn Loss by Riskymarvelous(m): 12:15am On May 13
Where is yarimodiot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Court Declares Makarfi Authentic PDP Chairman / Anambra Election: Osinbajo, Saraki, 13 Governors For Nwoye’s Rally Today / Freed Dapchi Girls Receiving Treatment In Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.