Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,264 members, 7,846,242 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) (53531 Views)

Intels Sacks 600 Workers In Rivers, Warri / Riots: Indians Accused Of Molesting Female Workers In Atiku's Company In Yola / EFCC Uncovers 1000 Ghost Workers In Kwara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by GloriousGbola: 8:25pm On May 14
i do design and i have no problems with delivering after being paid 75% upfront
i think it is a mentality thing
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by zedman1(m): 8:27pm On May 14
turmacs:
Lolzz. Once money don enter their hand like this, they will not be motivated to do the job well again. This is how some people end up with leaking POP when it rains, e.t.c. grin
When you talk about leakage, POP or any other ceiling material at all should not be mentioned because they are 'innocent'. You should rather be talking about the roof covering.
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by MrJames007: 8:27pm On May 14
turmacs:
Lolzz. Once money don enter their hand like this, they will not be motivated to do the job well again. This is how some people end up with leaking POP when it rains, e.t.c. grin
Na POP dey cover rainfall? undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by femi4: 8:38pm On May 14
DataCrab:
This is why you should never pay your workers their money in advance. Only pay after a well done job.
That's for irresponsible and indiscipline ones....Your performance in one work announces you, determines if you will get the next one
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by zedman1(m): 8:38pm On May 14
MrJames007:
Na POP dey cover rainfall? undecided
Oboy, de thing tire me. And you'll see a lot of people liking such posts. E de pain to see ignorant people (no be insult) blaming and proffering solutions to things they know little or nothing about.
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by Bluntemperor: 8:44pm On May 14
vibbb:
One disgusting habit about most artisans. If you pay them 100% before job completion, WAHALA - If you didn't pay them 100% before they start the Job, TROUBLE.

Your analysis on this type of workers is perfect here but Not for others e g Banks.
Some Banks pay 3- years Wardrobe and Furniture Allowances together but it makes their Staff more committed to work harder and in fact more productivity for the Banks Management involved!
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by correctguy101(m): 8:45pm On May 14
alizma:
The moment you tell me you paid in full before the work commences, I become careful when it comes to trusting you with valuable things. This is not because you are bad but because you still lack significant knowledge of what real life is all about. This is not the time to become emotional, this is money we are talking about and in real life, no single individual will tell you that he likes working for working sake. People work basically in exchange for something in view and once that thing (money or commodity) is no longer in view, working becomes a kind of punishment or even consider a kind of 21st century slavery

Some werey will start talking about passion...

If the passion can't pay the bills, man pikin go begin ask if e sure say no be crase dey worry am to continue... cheesy

Reality and it's demands sef...

Smh

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by Emdebby2: 8:51pm On May 14
Not all artisans are like that. There are some good ones among them while some are heartless. I was a victim of the latter.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by vengertime: 9:00pm On May 14
Throwback:
I have suffered this regret many times.

Humans are the same in every part of the world, just that some parts have a good legal system to keep humans in check.

Judge Judy dey like dis type of case
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by alizma: 9:04pm On May 14
NeckingNgulping:

When the worker stupidly fails to fulfill his own part of the deal/ agreement, only then will the job owner look stupid.

I understand your perspective, though.
One thing I have understand about life is, never allow someone else to decide who you are. So waiting for the worker to do the job and make you a wise man or fail to make you stupid is a clear violation of that which I said I have known about life.
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by Joy2dworldxyz: 9:08pm On May 14
A negative believe. There's a negative results I will get in some instances for not paying for a service u want in advance. What if the fellow would have done a perfect job if his charges was fully paid but since it wasn't he has to manage with what is available and then u will pay!?

In everything there's the good and the bad part effect....
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by greypencils: 9:10pm On May 14
The idiot that was my wedding MC was paid in full before the Dday. This idiot showed up an hour and a half late for the reception with the most stupid excuse, this fool told me he thought there would be African time, I was so livid. It took my family members to intercede on his behalf. All my guests had eaten before he arrived, very stupid fellow. I thought I was doing myself a favour by settling the necessary bills to make things easier, not knowing I was setting myself up to be fooled by this nonentity.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by Silentgroper(m): 9:15pm On May 14
Offpoint1:
Not with me. If a client pays in full, I feel indebted, and the job becomes top priority.
same goes for me...

The thing go be like do or die affair
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by Proserpina: 9:19pm On May 14
One of the reasons I stopped sowing for people back then. You would have spent money finish before cloth ready, he go come be like suffering grin grin grin
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by Redman44(m): 9:28pm On May 14
One carpenter is showing me shege at the moment. Made a mistake of paying him upfront . He has not finished the job. I am just pissed off.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by NeckingNgulping(m): 9:31pm On May 14
alizma:

One thing I have understand about life is, never allow someone else to decide who you are. So waiting for the worker to do the job and make you a wise man or fail to make you stupid is a clear violation of that which I said I have known about life.

I get it. What you have known about life is a fact.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by MrJames007: 9:57pm On May 14
zedman1:
Oboy, de thing tire me. And you'll see a lot of people liking such posts. E de pain to see ignorant people (no be insult) blaming and proffering solutions to things they know little or nothing about.
grin Na ignorance sha

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by Celense(m): 11:22pm On May 14
Because I am involved......
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by orriyomi33(m): 11:26pm On May 14
I think this should not be an issue provided you have got the assurance of prompt service delivery from the Artisan(based on pedigree) even though you are not expected to pay all(at least 85% of the total cost should be okay depending on the terms of negotiations)
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 1:16am On May 15
I made same mistake and I have learnt my lesson.. I made this young man over 3 years ago and i told him about my plan of developing my second home, 5 rooms ensuite... He has been pestering me to start start start but I still insist I must be there before I start anything, I came back last year meet this motherfucker but due to limited timing I didn't start... Last 2 months he's on my neck to start , I told him.... We are already In rainy season let's wait till November that am not in hurry but he keeps gingering me until I said ok, oya I will pay u from foundation to deck leveling... You bring Ur worker I bring materials. He charged me 2.5m which we later agreed to 2m but with condition I will pay after completion of each stages, he refused I must pay him at least half of the money , since I paid this guy the only time he visited that side is when they are marking the land for foundation, and when they are forming foundation block.... He disappeared, only on phone he gives order.... They work today and in next few days they will not work,..... Out of 110 bags I bought 11 have kicked, the foreman handling the job has abandoned the work because he's owning labourers and not even paying anyone and when I asked him he will say he will pay them when they finish, for over 7 weeks now they are still in foundation levels, everyday am calling , threating , shouting , I'm losing it because i never expect it this way being young guy for that matter..... Am thinking of abandoning this project because its giving me hard time.. even the culvert he do for me with 500k has collapsed and when I told him he started laughing and said we will do another one ....
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by Oluwasaudy(m): 1:24am On May 15
Na pop them day take roof house Day calm down bros
turmacs:
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by lalabrother: 1:39am On May 15
This headline is misleading to say the least. The body of the post seems to talk about skilled workers but the headline generalizes it. Let's be guided.
DataCrab:
This is why you should never pay your workers their money in advance. Only pay after a well done job.
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by Difrent: 3:15am On May 15
DataCrab:

Its international best practice to pay "advance"
Which is essentially part payment for the job and is not a wrong practice

Different from "paying fully for the service in advance"
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by Difrent: 3:17am On May 15
correctguy101:

Some werey will start talking about passion...

If the passion can't pay the bills, man pikin go begin ask if e sure say no be crase dey worry am to continue... cheesy

Reality and it's demands sef...

Smh

Everybody dey find money , not work
If na work, you can simply stay in your house , dig a hole and when you are done fill it up again and repeat it again everyday

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:49am On May 15
tiswell:
Pay your workers,they aren't slaves.

Once a Nigerian gets small upgrade,as in boss or employer,dey tend to feel like demigods

This is not the issue under discussion here

I'm sure you haven't employed anyone to work for you before; that's why you don't understand.
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:51am On May 15
pragmatistm:
I can't agree less especially the building works

Exactly. In most cases, it ends at the police station.
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:54am On May 15
Toluwalase12345:
That shouldn't stop one to pay in full if the full money is in the account. It also reduce stress and headache for the one that own the job.

It's not true,please

Paying in full, especially to a Nigerian worker/artisan, will cause you more stress and headaches

It'll end up as a regrettable venture.
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:58am On May 15
alizma:
The moment you tell me you paid in full before the work commences, I become careful when it comes to trusting you with valuable things. This is not because you are bad but because you still lack significant knowledge of what real life is all about. This is not the time to become emotional, this is money we are talking about and in real life, no single individual will tell you that he likes working for working sake. People work basically in exchange for something in view and once that thing (money or commodity) is no longer in view, working becomes a kind of punishment or even consider a kind of 21st century slavery.
grin
I completely agree with you
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by tiswell(m): 6:23am On May 15
ChybuzzDD:

This is not the issue under discussion here

I'm sure you haven't employed anyone to work for you before; that's why you don't understand.
rest baba,you aren't sure of what you said.
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by ChybuzzDD(m): 6:58am On May 15
Redman44:
One carpenter is showing me shege at the moment. Made a mistake of paying him upfront . He has not finished the job. I am just pissed off.

grin Welcome to the 'experience'.
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by ChybuzzDD(m): 7:11am On May 15
ELKHALIFAISIS:
I made same mistake and I have learnt my lesson.. I made this young man over 3 years ago and i told him about my plan of developing my second home, 5 rooms ensuite... He has been pestering me to start start start but I still insist I must be there before I start anything, I came back last year meet this motherfucker but due to limited timing I didn't start... Last 2 months he's on my neck to start , I told him.... We are already In rainy season let's wait till November that am not in hurry but he keeps gingering me until I said ok, oya I will pay u from foundation to deck leveling... You bring Ur worker I bring materials. He charged me 2.5m which we later agreed to 2m but with condition I will pay after completion of each stages, he refused I must pay him at least half of the money , since I paid this guy the only time he visited that side is when they are marking the land for foundation, and when they are forming foundation block.... He disappeared, only on phone he gives order.... They work today and in next few days they will not work,..... Out of 110 bags I bought 11 have kicked, the foreman handling the job has abandoned the work because he's owning labourers and not even paying anyone and when I asked him he will say he will pay them when they finish, for over 7 weeks now they are still in foundation levels, everyday am calling , threating , shouting , I'm losing it because i never expect it this way being young guy for that matter..... Am thinking of abandoning this project because its giving me hard time.. even the culvert he do for me with 500k has collapsed and when I told him he started laughing and said we will do another one ....

If you're not in Nigeria, never engage and pay a Nigerian worker directly
I learnt that during my first project
Best way is to go through a reliable relative or friend who's very close to you.
This person will bear the responsibility of selecting the worker(s), monitoring and paying them.
That means you will be paying through him.
If you don't have such a person, don't bother starting anything until you're fully available.
Once an average Nigerian worker knows you're not within the country to monitor or chase him/her around, it's over, bro.
Re: Why You Should Never Pay Your Workers In Advance (pics) by cigaricon(m): 8:32am On May 15
I would say, while this is true to an extent, it's more of an individual trait than a stereotype.

I take myself for an example. I have a principle of not touching one Kobo from the money for a job/contract until the work is COMPLETED. So until we've shook hands on a job well done and client is satisfied, even my profit won't be touched.

Once again, this is an individual thing and not everybody is unethical in business wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Graduate Of University Of Abuja Frying Akara / Godwill Dike Accused Of Torturing His Staff, Sheidu Ozovehe (Photos) / How Much Can A Petrol Station Manager Earn?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.