Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse (17846 Views)

Foreigners Are Leaving Nigeria Permanently En-masse. / Hausa/fulani.....flee The East Whenever There Is Crisis / Southerners Are Moving En Masse Out Of NE And NW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by Onlytruth(m): 5:40am On Nov 23, 2011
Insecurity: Igbo flee North en-masse

By TONY EDIKE

ENUGU—IGBO living in some Northern states where many Christians had been attacked by members of the Boko Haram sect are now returning en-masse to their home-states, abandoning most of their belongings.

The returnees, who have been trooping home since the past few weeks, said they were residing in Plateau, Kaduna, Nasarawa, Niger and Borno states where they had lived and conducted their businesses for decades.

They added that they were forced to return to their native-states because of incessant violent attacks on their businesses and families by the Boko Haram sect.

Vanguard encountered some of the returnees, mostly women and children, at the Ninth Mile Corner Motor park, yesterday, while trying to board vehicles to their respective homes.

A native of Umuoji in Anambra State, Mr. Lawrence Okeke, who had resided in Lafia, Nasarawa State capital, where he sold vehicle spare parts for several years, said he decided to evacuate his family to his home-state following the state of insecurity in Lafia.

He said having suffered huge losses in the last sectarian violence, which he was yet to recover from, it would be fool- hardy for him to remain there, hence his decision to evacuate his family to his home-town.

He said: ”I have been a trader in Lafia for several years and we have lived peacefully in the town until the last sectarian violence which rendered many of us homeless. We decided to stay back, but threats of fresh violence have continued.

”Most Igbo in that town have been evacuating their families back home. Some with strong investments there decided to stay back but having lost my trade, it will be unwise for me to remain in the North,” Okeke said.

Another returnee from Jos, Chief Ikechukwu Obalum, from Aguleri, Anambra State, told Vanguard that he brought his wife and four children home because of increasing insecurity in the city.

Obalum said: ”I will return to Jos to continue with my business there, but my family members will never return to the North.”

He  added that although he was aware of the risk involved in doing business in the northern states, he could not start life afresh in his home state.

A mother of four from Nkanu area of Enugu State, Mrs. Kate Ejiofor, who left her Suleja residence recently for Enugu following serial   bomb blasts in the town, said  many easterners in Nasarawa State have been moving back to their native-states because of insecurity of life and property.

An elderly man, from Imo State, Chief Boniface Nwosu, said he returned from Borno State after selling his building at a low price to enable him evacuate his family from the state he had lived for over 40 years because, the Boko Haram sect members had made life unbearable for residents of the state.

Nwosu said: ’’We have lived in constant fear for the last two years because of insecurity of life and property.

‘’These people burn down our churches at the slightest provocation, kill and main people at will.

’’Sometimes, one would even be thinking that this is no longer the Nigeria we knew before. The police are helpless in this matter because police stations are also bombed and their officers and men killed.

’’I have come home permanently and will never go back to the North to do business and develop the place again. Things cannot continue that way. It is hell living there,’’ he added.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/insecurity-igbo-flee-north-en-masse/
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by Onlytruth(m): 5:44am On Nov 23, 2011
Now that they have left their investments back in the North to be inherited by Northerners, I expect them to shake the hands of Northerners in the East, congratulate them, and give them cold beer to chill and do business in the East. angry
I'm laughing so hard.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by ezeagu(m): 5:52am On Nov 23, 2011
So it's now that people are evacuating?

”I will return to Jos to continue with my business there, but my family members will never return to the North.”

I wonder what sort of money Ndi Hausa are using that makes it an irresistible land to do business in, at least for Igbo people. I'd like to find out one day.

’’I have come home permanently and will never go back to the North to do business and develop the place again. Things cannot continue that way. It is hell living there,’’

Oh, so they actually know that they are developing other peoples lands for them. Chai, I've never seen such a group in my life like Igbo people.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by Rhino5dm: 6:00am On Nov 23, 2011
Those states UP there are mostly middle belt. You called them Hausa/Fulani when it suit your agenda. But when you are riding on Biafrain ghost, you wont mind "snatching" them over from "core-north", afteral they are Igbos.

Another mark of double face greedy arze.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by Nobody: 6:03am On Nov 23, 2011
Boko harams and their dangerous, yet effective tactic. And they say Northerners are dumb.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by Onlytruth(m): 6:06am On Nov 23, 2011
Posted by: Rhino.5dm

[b]Those states UP there are mostly middle belt. [/b]You called them Hausa/Fulani when it suit your agenda. But when you are riding on Biafrain ghost, you wont mind "snatching" them over from "core-north", afteral they are Igbos.

Another mark of double face greedy arze.

We know who has been killing people in the North. It is NOT the Northern minorities.
The same people are killing Northern minorities too.
Luckily for us, the same killers have more of their own people in the East than the Northern minorities.
We know them.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by Onlytruth(m): 6:11am On Nov 23, 2011
Posted by: ezeagu

Oh, so they actually know that they are developing other peoples lands for them. Chai, I've never seen such a group in my life like Igbo people.

My brother you know what they say about "Igbo anaghi agba oso mmiri karia mgbe mmiri mazuru ha aru".
Notice they are sending their families home first.
I hope they stay back and fight first before leaving for good.

All these are adding to the realization of the 2015 emancipation timeline.
We are waiting hopefully.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:27am On Nov 23, 2011
I hope dey don't go back there. As for NYSC, nobody will be posting me to the  Northern sphere. Igbo's should not be posted there.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by obowunmi(m): 6:37am On Nov 23, 2011
Boko Horam are a bunch of illiterates how will they be expected to run a business ?! Illiterates can't run a successful business. How can Nigeria move forward if there is so much tribalism ?
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by bkbabe97y(m): 7:10am On Nov 23, 2011
Ibos and that annoying boastful behavior everyone hates. Now, theyre "developing" the North. LMAO. Develop ibo states so we know yall mean bizness. Ibos smh
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by BootyOnMe: 7:19am On Nov 23, 2011
About time too!
You are not wanted in the North. MOVE!!!!
Glad to know the Igbos fleeing have some respect for themselves!
Go back and build your own home states!
I don't have a country in Nigeris. . . .no need to go back to Nigeria! kiss
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by Onlytruth(m): 8:13am On Nov 23, 2011
If I were a governor in the East, I would start thinking of ways to punitively tax Igbos living in the North.
I would invent a way to tax their assets in the East. The reason is that anytime they run back home, they create a refugee situation and disturb the social harmony in the East, forcing the state governments to spend more money. Soon they'll go into crime to survive and the rest of us would have to live with it. That tax would then be used to resettle them. Anyone living in troubled parts of Nigeria should be taxed in the East. cool If they don't want to pay the tax, they should stay home, or move to the North permanently.

I think it is time we start punishing our people living in the North if they must always run back to us in times of trouble. They are (by their own confession) developing other areas, but they expect us to accommodate them when they suffer the consequence of their own poor choice. If they succeed, they never come back, but when they fail, they run home.
If they must develop other areas, they should die there too. cool
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by manchy7531: 10:28am On Nov 23, 2011
This is happening to Nigerians in Nigeria,just because the north did not have its way. We have Lebanese, Indians, Pakistanis, other Arabs and Europeans who are Naturalized Nigerians by virtue of the fact that they have been here for long, and their life and properties are well secured by the security agents. meanwhile the so called Nigerians are being killed,brutalized and being denied of all they have worked for all their life, then by 2015, the so called Northern leaders who did not see anything bad in killing of youth corpers, killing of southerners, burning of churches,properties and mass exodus of people will tell us it is their turn to rule, we shall see. Thank God 2015 is very near
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:23am On Nov 23, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Ibos and that annoying boastful behavior everyone hates. Now, theyre "developing" the North. LMAO. Develop ibo states so we know yall mean bizness. Ibos smh

^^^Diseased Igbo-hating animal!!! If you have nothing reasonable to say, crawl back into the gutter. If you went to school (and more importantly, paid attention in class) you'd know that Igbos living and conducting business up north are helping to develop the states they reside and work in through paying their taxes; stimulating commerce and the local economy; owning properties/paying rents; sending their kids to the local schools; etc.

Boy!!! talk about being thick. shocked

manchy7531:

This is happening to Nigerians in Nigeria,just because the north did not have its way. We have Lebanese, Indians, Pakistanis, other Arabs and Europeans who are Naturalized Nigerians by virtue of the fact that they have been here for long, and their life and properties are well secured by the security agents. meanwhile the so called Nigerians are being killed,brutalized and being denied of all they have worked for all their life, then by 2015, the so called Northern leaders who did not see anything bad in killing of youth corpers, killing of southerners, burning of churches,properties and mass exodus of people will tell us it is their turn to rule, we shall see. Thank God 2015 is very near

^^^@ bolded: very funny grin, but true though.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by T8ksy(m): 11:35am On Nov 23, 2011
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm seems like the fear of BH is the beginning of wisdom for my ibo brothers.

I bet they all don't rush back to enugu o as am sure, most will probably run to my region for succor.

Yet, they have nothing good to say about us except downright lies and derisions.

Infact, seems like they HATE us much more than the BH sponsors who have been killing them, gratuitously since 1945!

The pogroms that culminated in the 30 months war was carried out by the same northerners on ibos yet the latter reserves the worst of their hatred for the yorubas.

bk.babe97y:

Ibos, develop ibo staes ke? Oh no, that's not part of their DNA. Charity does not begin at home, with the ibos.

They are only able to "develop" other people's region probably on account of their altrustic nature (sic!).

Even when the recipients have, in no uncertain terms demonstrated the fact that, ibos are not welcome in their region.

Nevertheless, the ibos still went in and "develop" their regions for them. what a bunch of do-gooders shocked

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by badmrkt(m): 1:09pm On Nov 23, 2011
i pray their legs don't fail them this time grin grin grin, igbo run for your is @stake,
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by Nobody: 1:11pm On Nov 23, 2011
this is the beginin of the end of nigeria,
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by odumchi: 1:21pm On Nov 23, 2011
Resembles 1966 just without the genocide. See how history repeats itself?
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by VoodooDoll(m): 1:25pm On Nov 23, 2011
What poor reporting, just sensationalist journalism.

No statistics, how many people (tens, hundreds, thousands)?

No pictures, no sense of the value of property or investments being left behind.

No information on the deaths suffered (number of south east people killed or attacked) by "Boko Haram"

No information on the value of property destroyed in the attacks.

The silly article does not even have a helpline number or South East Associations/groups for people "trapped" up North to call.  Or even a telephone number or contacts for returnees to the South East to contact.

Just silly, irresponsible and sensationalist reporting!
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by begwong: 1:26pm On Nov 23, 2011
NO MIND THESE IGBOS,THEY ARE ALL GOING BACK HOME FOR CHRISTMAS AND THE NEW YAM FESTIVAL.THEY WILL BE BACK SOONEST NEXT YEAR grin grin
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by farochron(m): 1:29pm On Nov 23, 2011
Onlytruth,

Why would you punish them the more. These people have gone through hell over there why add to their sorrow. I expect you to welcome them and reintegrate them. It will take a while for them to really get over their lose

Please be merciful to them and show them some love. Hatred was all they ve seen for the past 2 years and if you that is their blood won't show them this then where do you want them to. this will only mean you are not different from those they are running from.

I really pity their plight
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by odumchi: 1:30pm On Nov 23, 2011
This does no seem as large as it is made to. Millions of people are still living, working and doing business in the North. If this story is true, the number wont exceed a few hundred or even thousand.

VoodooDoll:

What poor reporting, just sensationalist journalism.

No statistics, how many people (tens, hundreds, thousands)?

No pictures, no sense of the value of property or investments being left behind.

No information on the deaths suffered (number of south east people killed or attacked) by "Boko Haram"

No information on the value of property destroyed in the attacks.

The silly article does not even have a helpline number or South East Associations/groups for people "trapped" up North to call.  Or even a telephone number or contacts for returnees to the South East to contact.

Just silly, irresponsible and sensationalist reporting!
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by manchy7531: 1:30pm On Nov 23, 2011
this is the beginin of the end of nigeria

Resembles 1966 just without the genocide. See how history repeats itself?

Ojukwu has again been vindicated

I am looking forward to seeing a new flag, a new map and a new currency and new crop of leaders, I am looking forward to a time when people will go work and have their Muslim brothers and sisters help them watch over their kids without any fear of blood shed,I am looking to a time when Christians will not be afraid to attend night vigils in the church,I am looking to a time when the Christians will help their Muslim brothers and sisters attend to customers while they go to juma't service, this is who we are in the south and not killers of mothers and children and not beheaders of clergymen be they Pastors or Imams we respect human dignity
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by logica(m): 1:33pm On Nov 23, 2011
The way I see it, if I am not comfortable going to Hausa land to conduct business or live, yet a Hausa man can come to Yoruba land and live comfortably and conduct business the equation is not balanced. We shouldn't be together as a country then.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by aribisala0(m): 1:38pm On Nov 23, 2011
bk.babe97y:

PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Diseased Igbo-hating animal!!! If you have nothing reasonable to say, crawl back into the gutter. If you went to school (and more importantly, paid attention in class) you'd know that Igbos living and conducting business up north are helping to develop the states they reside and work in through paying their taxes; stimulating commerce and the local economy; owning properties/paying rents; sending their kids to the local schools; etc.

Boy!!! talk about being thick. shocked

^^^@ bolded: very funny grin, but true though.

this perception about the Igbo/Ibo   deserved or not is quite widespread and i daresay not restricted to Nigerians .
whether it is due to misperception or other reasons is a matter that will be debated forever. what is important is that it exists and is widespread and must be dealt with by both perceiver and perceived.
at any rate whether Igbos are boastful or not does not justify violence against them or their property and so i am not sure why that is relevant in this context.

On a different note  the controversy about the correct spelling is one that generates a lot of ignorant vitriol.
in english there is no alphabet like "gb" such as there is in many african languages and as such african words with that sound/letter are often mispronounced
e.g
Drogba is rendered drug-ba
and Igbo as eeg-bo

So when writing in English or anglicized forms both Igbo and Ibo are the nearest approximation but  the gb is not an English alphabet on its own in this case. In anglicized phonetics neither Igbo nor Ibo will allow for accurate vocalization.There certainly is a GB alphabet in yoruba distinct from B i assume this to be the case in Ibo/Igbo

so Chinua Achebe rendered the word as Ibo(see Things Fall Apart) and not Igbo in many of his works(i believe he has a little knowledge on the subject grin) though both forms are present in standard dictionaries/encyclopaediae and are appropriate when writing in English
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by logica(m): 1:46pm On Nov 23, 2011
aribisala0:

there certainly is a GB alphabet in yoruba distinct from B i assume this to be the case in Ibo/Igbo
Actually the "gb" consonant sound in "Igbo" is between the Yoruba "gb" and the actual "b" consonant sounds. To confirm, ask an Igbo person to pronounce the Yoruba word "gbogbo" and you will see the difficulty they have in pronouncing the Yoruba "gb" consonant sound. (I noticed this in the Imo or should I say Owerri as I only had 2 samples and they both come from Owerri). They pronounced it as a soft "gb" closer to "b".
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by aribisala0(m): 1:52pm On Nov 23, 2011
actually the issue is not to compare the two languages in any way so let us not do that .

i just wondered whether in the Ibo/Igbo alphabet system there is a different alphabet for the sounds b and gb as is the case in yoruba

all i am saying is that languages have a different alphabet and gb in one language does not translate into gb in english .

http://www.bisharat.net/Documents/poal30.htm

igbo in yoruba and english have a different sound and meaning.
most yorubas i know cannot pronounce the "softer" gb sound anyway(i can grin)
many nigerian names are spelt using a different alphabet from the english one even though the letters might look the same.
e.g akpan in english would be rendered ak- pan

there are many non-yoruba  examples
igbinedion
drogba  e.g

any way it is sad that they have to flee th north and i think it is a sign of trouble . that is the one thing that will guarantee a biafra republic
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 1:55pm On Nov 23, 2011
logica:

The way I see it, if I am not comfortable going to Hausa land to conduct business or live, yet a Hausa man can come to Yoruba land and live comfortably and conduct business the equation is not balanced. We shouldn't be together as a country then.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by JosephJon: 2:43pm On Nov 23, 2011
IBO-NORTHERNERS GOOD MORNING. IT IS VERY FUNNY TO LEARNED THAT SOME ARE EVEN STAYING PUT AND BROUGHT THEIR CHILDREN AND WIVES HOME, STUPIDITY IN DISGUISE. WHAT HAPPENS TO THE CHILDREN IF THEY DIE IN THE HANDS OF BOKO HARAM? OR SORRY THEY ALL HAVE ODIESHI,BA,OKAY. BUT ONE GOOD WARNING,ODIESHI IS NOT FOR BOMBS IT CAN WORK FOR GUNS IF AT ALL BUT BOMBS I AM AFRAID. GOOD IGBO LEADERS HAVE WARNED THE IBOS TO STAY IN IBO-LAND BUT NO,NEVER UNTIL BOKO HARAM WARNED THEM THAT THEY ARE NOT WANTED IN THE NORTH.THANKS TO B.H IF NOT IBO-LAND WILL BE DESERTED. I AM STILL ASKING MYSELF WHY DUBAI,CHINA,INDIA AND OTHER EMERGING ECONOMIES HAVE NOT ALL LEFT THEIR LANDS AND RESETTLE IN NORTHER NIGERIA FOR BUSINESS. SO ALL IBO-MEN WHO CLAIMED TO BE BUSINESSMEN IN THE NORTH ARE PRACTICALLY FAKES,AFTER ALL ARE THEY RICHER THAN THOSE IN ABA,OWERRI,UMUAHIA AMD ONITSHA?

GOOD MORNING THE RETURNEES.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by ayusman16(m): 2:48pm On Nov 23, 2011
Dem go soon return back to the north after hunger skin them,

I no even believe this story,
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by INFO70: 2:55pm On Nov 23, 2011
The line of division of this counrty is widening. This should be fast. To hell with fucking Northerners
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee The North En-masse by OneNaira6: 3:06pm On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

So it's now that people are evacuating?

I wonder what sort of money Ndi Hausa are using that makes it an irresistible land to do business in, at least for Igbo people. I'd like to find out one day.

Very little competition unlike the SE, SS or Lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

We’re Ready To Tender 2017 Budget, Says Presidency / NURTW Threatens To Join Strike, Transport To Be Grounded / Okada Riders Protesting In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.