Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,629 members, 7,847,631 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 10:52 PM

"Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG (9403 Views)

Sanwo-Olu To Complete N50.3bn 70 Mil Gallons Adiyan Waterworks Project / "I Cannot Thank You Enough For Being My Pillar Of Support" - Sanwo-olu To Wife / Sanwo-olu To Participate In Ajegunle Community Football Tournament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Racoon(m): 5:32pm On May 17
Lagos State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has tasked the Nigerian government on the need to expand the country’s tax base by exploring innovative ways.

Mr Sanwo-Olu said that although the nation was fostering a business environment that gives room for the economy to thrive, he noted the need to make the tax system transparent and accountable to Nigerians to boost voluntary compliance.

The governor, represented by his aide on taxation and revenue, Abdul-Kabir Opeyemi Ogungbo, spoke at the 26th Annual Tax Conference organized by the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria in Abuja.

“We need to explore innovative ways to expand the tax base while fostering a business environment that allows our economy to thrive,” he said. “The good news is that Nigeria is already taking positive steps in these directions.”

According to him, the recent efforts to streamline state-level taxes and the focus on integrating the growing remote workforce into the tax net by the government are commendable initiatives.

Mr Sanwo-Olu emphasised the necessity for citizens to witness tangible outcomes from their tax contributions, stressing the pivotal role taxes play in fuelling public services and infrastructural development.

The governor noted that building a strong and sustainable future through a robust tax system driving economic growth and development had become inevitable. He, however, advised taxpayers to view tax payments not as a burden but as an investment in a better future for Nigeria.

“We must all understand the crucial role taxes play in building a better Nigeria for ourselves and for generations to come,” he said. The theme of the ongoing programme is “Sustainable tax culture and economic road map for nation building.”
https://gazettengr.com/sanwo-olu-says-nigerian-government-should-expand-tax-base-despite-untold-hardship/

Meanwhile:
"Economic hardship: Reduce Taxes Levies" Fashola Advises Sanwo-Olu 
Babatunde Fashola, former minister of works, has advised Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the governor of Lagos, to reduce taxes and levies collected in the state. Fashola, who spoke on Friday at the 18th edition of the Lagos’ executive and legislative parley, said the reduction of levies would limit the burden of the economic hardship on the residents. 

“The Lagos state government deserves to be commended for the feeding initiative and for also reducing the cost of transportation in the state; this is commendable and I applaud Gov. Sanwo-Olu,” he said.

“I’d like to make additional suggestions. I’d like to advise that, in line with finding succour for residents of our great state with the current economic situation, I think reducing levies and taxes would help. There must be a balance. I remember during the Ebola crisis, the Association of Tourism and Hotel Owners approached us (government) then that we should suspend the Consumption Tax, which we did.

“These are some of the ways we can bring relief to the people of Lagos state. It is important to increase the quantum of money for disposal. There must be a balance in governance.” The former Lagos governor also advised the state to ensure the redistribution of the wealth to reach small business owners.

“We must meet with small businesses across the senatorial districts, and the state legislature should hold town hall meetings to understand their needs and demands. We have more money in the hands of the people; we need to roll out public works in construction, supply, etc. We need to find a way to redistribute wealth.” 
https://www.thecable.ng/economic-hardship-reduce-taxes-levies-fashola-advises-sanwo-olu/amp/ nlfpmod

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Racoon(m): 5:33pm On May 17
"TAXMAN" BY LUCKY DUBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa615pbe-gE?si=vWHOgOjxkNvCrXQ3
-1). I pay my gardener to clean up my garden
I pay my doctor to check out the other ting
I pay my lawyer to fight for my rights
And I pay my bodyguard to guard my body

There's only one man I pay but I don't know what I'm paying for
I'm talking about the taxman (aha-aha)
I'm talking about the taxman (aha-aha)
Whoa, I'm saying the taxman (aha-aha)

You gotta tell me now Mr. Taxman (what have you done for me lately?)
I wanna (Mr Taxman) know where my money goes (what have you done for me lately?)
I'm talking (Mr Taxman) to you, Mr Taxman (what have you done for me lately?)
Tell me now (Mr Taxman) (what have you done for me lately?)
(Mr Taxman)

Two hundred thousand trillion dollars of taxpayers' money disappear every year
Unaccounted for. Even dead man pay tax

-2). You take from the rich, Take from the poor
You even take from me, Can't understand it now
I pay for the police to... ah, I don't know why
'Cause if my dollar was good enough
There wouldn't be so much crime in the streets
They tell me you're a fat man
And you always take and never give

What have you done for me lately, (Mr Taxman)?
What have you done for me lately, (Mr Taxman)?
What have you done for me lately?

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by 72virginGATEWAY: 5:34pm On May 17
Hehehe

Una go die finish for that shit hole.

The Chicago criminal is out for disaster

74 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Yankee101: 5:35pm On May 17
Is this man crazy?

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Racoon(m): 5:36pm On May 17
These mofos think they are smart. Like father like son. An apple does not always falls far from its tree. From what on ground the administration is already pointing to that direction. Like someone who steals what he doesn’t have any ideal about.

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Chicagograduate(m): 5:36pm On May 17
Taxing a 30k minimum wage earner is an inhumane policy.The high rate of unemployment is wickedness of the government.
The taxes and VATs that Buhari implemented is enough to keep the government running in a right track.But no,Tinubu want to recoup his campaign expenses.

78 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Racoon(m): 5:39pm On May 17
......However advised taxpayers to view tax payments not as a burden but as an investment in a better future for Nigeria. “We must all understand the crucial role taxes play in building a better Nigeria for ourselves and for generations to come,”
They are subsiding hajj with a whooping #90B but removing fuel/electricity subsidies.They ain't cutting cost of governance, but are still padding budgets, engaging in spurious borrowings to steal and posting phantom IGR figures.

Meanwhile, inflation is on a galloping two-digits free falls. Clueless economic illiterates. “No nation ever grew more prosperous by taxing its citizens beyond their capacity to pay.” - former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Righthussle: 5:50pm On May 17
Yes oo.
Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by SpecialAdviser(m): 5:51pm On May 17
Tinubu and his Lagos gangs are criminals. Know this know peace

16 Likes

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Putinofrussia: 5:52pm On May 17
Racoon:
These mofos think they are smart. Like father like son. An apple does not always falls far from its tree. From what on ground the administration is already pointing to that direction. Like someone who steals what he doesn’t have any ideal about.
anonimi,expanding tax net doesn't translate to increment .
It only means more people liable to pay tax will be encapsulated in the tax net.
Tax is good if the government will shun corruption and be transparent.

32 Likes

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Beautifulday: 6:08pm On May 17
The only thing lagos economists know is expand the tax base. Nothing more.

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Malawian(m): 6:11pm On May 17
Ambode was right. This guy escaped from yaba Left.

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by ivandragon: 6:40pm On May 17
It is good to expand it.

It is more important to tie assets to income to tax payment.

Can Sanwolu lead by telling us how much taxes he paid before becoming governor?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by LordofNaija: 5:19am On May 18
grin “If we reduce the purchasing power of the people, we can further slow down the economy. Let’s widen the tax net. Those who are not paying now, even if it is inclusive of Bola Tinubu, let the net get bigger and we take in more taxes, and that is what we must do in the country."

Zacheus will be envious of Tinubu if he was born in this era. Let the [/b]tinibulation[b] continue

14 Likes

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by helinues: 5:19am On May 18
Sebi we no want make government dey borrow unnecessarily right, then the other options na to increase the tax base

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Houseontherock1: 5:21am On May 18
I'm sure nobody will refuse to pay taxes if things are working well...but when you can't even feed your family, the last thing on your mind is tax undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Factfinder1(m): 5:22am On May 18
Fools

1 Like

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Aroyjunior(m): 5:23am On May 18
Chai......this guy shouldnt have spoken,observing fit him more.

4 Likes

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by TOPCRUISE(m): 5:23am On May 18
Is he not satisfied by how much the government has milked out from Nigerians and from surviving businesses.
Must he react according to his name.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by RichIgboBoy: 5:23am On May 18
Wetin this puppet know

2 Likes

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by nurey(m): 5:23am On May 18
No government can tax it's citizens to posterity. Nigerians are already learning that through inflation, reduced purchasing power, high cost of goods and services, high rate of unemployment, harsh business environments

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by phemmie06(m): 5:23am On May 18
I believe this man was talking from the angle of the event that gave him the platform.
Racoon:

The governor, represented by his aide on taxation and revenue, Abdul-Kabir Opeyemi Ogungbo, spoke at the 26th Annual Tax Conference organized by the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria in Abuja

“We must meet with small businesses across the senatorial districts, and the state legislature should hold town hall meetings to understand their needs and demands. We have more money in the hands of the people; we need to roll out public works in construction, supply, etc. We need to find a way to redistribute wealth.”

Why is he not advising the government to judiciously use the tax for the development of the nation, which money did the government has in our hands?
It is favoring you and your family.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Adonko(m): 5:24am On May 18
Like father like son .... grin

What a shame...you are looking for more innovative ways to widening tax base .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Passionate888: 5:24am On May 18
grin grin grin grin
Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Yankee101: 5:25am On May 18
The Lagos method will not work, soldiers will soon remove you if you continue this nonsense
One bag of rice was 10k during goodluck. It climbed to 75k. Minimum wage can’t buy one bag of rice and you want to tax people? Nigeria is not Lagos

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by KillahPriest: 5:26am On May 18
We must tax shege out of every single Nigerian whether they like it or not cool

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Lexusgs430: 5:26am On May 18
Time for shege pro max.....

Demolition man turn tax adviser....... 😛🤣

4 Likes

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by olaiya2007(m): 5:27am On May 18
Quick to expand tax base but sluggish to expand minimum wage

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by eddie7: 5:27am On May 18
Much awaited speech and action from THESE PEOPLE

1 Like

Re: "Expand The Tax Base" Sanwo-Olu To FG by Babaflenjor: 5:27am On May 18
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jos Crisis: Why We Struck –fulani Settlers / Oil Marketer’s Imprisonment In Saudi Shocks Colleagues / ACN Loses Another Council To PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.