Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,137 members, 7,860,083 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:18 AM

What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? (21908 Views)

Family Protests At Ibadan Hospital Over Mutilated Corpse Of Relative (Graphic) / 5 Die Conveying Corpse Of Cholera Victim From Lagos To Sokoto (Pictures) / Hospital Produces Wrong Corpse Of Nurudeen Alowonle For Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Yugoslavia247(m): 8:41am On May 20
Same applies to NYSC members
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Ededem1: 8:42am On May 20
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Sccarrr: 8:42am On May 20
Yugoslavia247:
Same applies to NYSC members
haba ....never
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Raynald: 8:42am On May 20
illicit:
They are buried by govt in a special yard

The grave is chained and locked with the year the prison sentence will elapse written boldly on it...
omoh
No freedom even in death
Na wow
So what about those killed with death penalty?
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Yugoslavia247(m): 8:43am On May 20
Sccarrr:
haba ....never

What do you think NYSC is?
1 year mandatory service and it is handled as a para military wing.
Dey play

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Dreal1247: 8:45am On May 20
It's then a curse to be a prisoner and more so an abomination to die in prison. Unfortunately, some people go to jail for what they know nothing about. Some are wickedly sent to prison. God will help us.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by ecomalchemistt(m): 8:45am On May 20
We live and we learn.

Zealot boombox speakers available in wholesale and retail.

Nationwide delivery 📦

Check sig for more details
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by ukaegbuikedia: 8:47am On May 20
Imagine someone being in chains even in afterlife.

If a convict on death sentence dies, he will be buried with chains.

Don't joke with your freedom.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Abaziaka: 8:47am On May 20
Wait a minute The treatment of corpses of inmates who died in custody varies depending on the jurisdiction, prison policies, and cultural practices. In many cases, the bodies are:

1. Autopsied: To determine the cause of death, especially if it's suspicious or unnatural.
2. Stored in a morgue: Temporarily held until arrangements are made for release to next of kin or funeral homes.
3. Released to next of kin: Families may claim the body for burial or cremation.
4. Buried in a prison cemetery: If unclaimed or indigent, inmates may be buried in a designated prison cemetery.
5. Cremated: Some prisons offer cremation services, with ashes stored or released to next of kin.
6. Donated to science: In some cases, inmates may have given prior consent for their body to be donated for medical research or education.
7. In Nigeria most inmates facing life sentence are not released to next of kin but rather 👆

It's important to note that the treatment of inmates' corpses can vary depending on the specific circumstances and may be influenced by cultural, religious, and legal factors.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by greggng: 8:47am On May 20
When an inmate dies, one of two or three things can occur to the body. The family/next of kin can take it and accept the responsibility of disposing of it. Whether burying or cremation is chosen, they can do whatever they please.

The prisoner may have previously filled out the proper forms to donate their body to science. If that's the case, it is kept on ice until the proper authorities arrive and take the body off their hands.

Lastly, if nobody claims the body or has been assigned to take custody of it, then the state either cremates or buries it in a cemetery nearby, which has been created for such a situation. They will not pay for a costly casket or funeral. Instead…the body will be put into a glorified cardboard box and simply placed in the ground and covered up. They Inmate trustees will probably dig the grave

4 Likes

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by tivity101: 8:48am On May 20
No wonder we no even hear about Chief Newton burial after he leggo for krench. Ekpan people I fear una

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Tijani009: 8:48am On May 20
illicit:
They are buried by govt in a special yard

The grave is chained and locked with the year the prison sentence will elapse written boldly on it...
Can the body be gotten back wen the sentence ends
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by sylve11: 8:49am On May 20
ukaegbuikedia:
Imagine someone being in chains even in afterlife.

If a convict on death sentence dies, he will be buried with chains.

Don't joke with your freedom.

I tell you. cool
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Daniluv1(m): 8:49am On May 20
KiNg0G:

With handcuffs? nor be everything be play na OGa

True for those who are yet to complaint their sentence before death

Most especially for those serving life sentence
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Sccarrr: 8:49am On May 20
Yugoslavia247:

What do you think NYSC is?
1 year mandatory service and it is handled as a para military wing.
Dey play
person child go die, nysc go con seize d corpse go donate am for medical school or bury am keep for the remaining months of the service year and give it back after...Does that make sense to u?😹

All those Forms we signed are designed not to hold dem responsible or get sued in the course of an unfortunate event, not for them to keep the corpse.

3 Likes

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Vifx: 8:49am On May 20
Just wow
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by eteba(m): 8:53am On May 20
They're govt property, family will be informed about their death and subsequent burial.
But burial is at govt's discretion and family has no input. So govt would conduct burial for them at an open cemetery, or donate the body for a medical research if there's an existing application from a govt institution, which is mostly the case.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by OMEGA009(m): 8:54am On May 20
R
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by rowrowland: 8:56am On May 20
FedoraGonalo:
Just live an honest life ... don't go to prison
May God continue to keep us away from wahala.... you'll hear stories that touch the heart listening to some prisoners.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by oobbaassbbaarr: 8:56am On May 20
[quote author=KiNg0G post=130039037]We had a prominent man in my town who died recently in prison, and just this evening, a friend brought the issue up amongst us, and I asked when his burial was.. surprisingly another person replied...na wa for you o...person when government don bury since.

I was shocked and I am still shocked. This makes me wonder

What happens to inmates who die in prison? Are they released to their families or are they still considered government property? Someone told me they are buried by the government, and I don't believe it, as I think they are released to their families after their demise for them to make arrangements and proper burial.
Since not all are serving life imprisonments.[/quoteIn Nigeria, when an inmate dies in prison, the body is typically handled in the following way:

1. *Notification of next of kin*: The prison authorities notify the inmate's next of kin or family members about the death.
2. *Autopsy and investigation*: An autopsy is performed to determine the cause of death, and an investigation is conducted to ensure there was no foul play or negligence.
3. *Release to family*: If the family claims the body, it is released to them for burial. The family must provide a written undertaking to the prison authorities, accepting responsibility for the body and agreeing to bury it according to Nigerian law.
4. *Government burial*: If the family does not claim the body or cannot be reached, the government takes responsibility for the burial. The body is typically buried in a public cemetery or a designated area for unclaimed bodies.
5. *Documentation*: The prison authorities update the inmate's records to reflect the death and maintain a death certificate.

It's important to note that inmates' bodies are not considered "government property" in Nigeria. The government's responsibility is to ensure the safekeeping and dignity of the deceased, as well as to facilitate the release of the body to the family or provide a decent burial if unclaimed.

Keep in mind that specific procedures might vary depending on the prison facility, state, or cultural considerations.]

3 Likes

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Emmyemmy1: 9:00am On May 20
thuxzwda1:
FOR SALE:- Neatly Used In Nigeria 2018 Lexus Rx350 Fsport Edition SUV.
..... grin
send me pics on my WhatsApp...07033742944
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Yugoslavia247(m): 9:02am On May 20
Sccarrr:
person child go die, nysc go con seize d corpse go donate am for medical school or bury am keep for the remaining months of the service year and give it back after...Does that make sense to u?😹

All those Forms we signed are designed not to hold dem responsible or get sued in the course of an unfortunate event, not for them to keep the corpse.

Yiu died in service. You r funeral is the govt responsibility. I am sure you have not served.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by oobbaassbbaarr: 9:03am On May 20
KiNg0G:
We had a prominent man in my town who died recently in prison, and just this evening, a friend brought the issue up amongst us, and I asked when his burial was.. surprisingly another person replied...na wa for you o...person when government don bury since.

I was shocked and I am still shocked. This makes me wonder

What happens to inmates who die in prison? Are they released to their families or are they still considered government property? Someone told me they are buried by the government, and I don't believe it, as I think they are released to their families after their demise for them to make arrangements and proper burial.
Since not all are serving life imprisonments.

In Nigeria, when an inmate dies in prison, the body is typically handled in the following way:

1. *Notification of next of kin*: The prison authorities notify the inmate's next of kin or family members about the death.
2. *Autopsy and investigation*: An autopsy is performed to determine the cause of death, and an investigation is conducted to ensure there was no foul play or negligence.
3. *Release to family*: If the family claims the body, it is released to them for burial. The family must provide a written undertaking to the prison authorities, accepting responsibility for the body and agreeing to bury it according to Nigerian law.
4. *Government burial*: If the family does not claim the body or cannot be reached, the government takes responsibility for the burial. The body is typically buried in a public cemetery or a designated area for unclaimed bodies.
5. *Documentation*: The prison authorities update the inmate's records to reflect the death and maintain a death certificate.

It's important to note that inmates' bodies are not considered "government property" in Nigeria. The government's responsibility is to ensure the safekeeping and dignity of the deceased, as well as to facilitate the release of the body to the family or provide a decent burial if unclaimed.

Keep in mind that specific procedures might vary depending on the prison facility, state, or cultural considerations.[quote author=oobbaassbbaarr post=130044254][/quote]

2 Likes

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Nwaokunkpara: 9:07am On May 20
There used to be a time NLand was this educational until APC started paying some stupid people stipends

9 Likes

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by igbarasdynasty: 9:08am On May 20
Quelme:
People saying they are donated as cadavers or buried by the government. What happens to the corpse of people like Ken Saro-Wiwa?

This question I think is situational and depends on the calibre of personality involved.

In my opinion, I think bodies of dead prison inmates are released to the families if they are reachable except otherwise.

This is a different scenario, As for Ken Saro Wiwa, he was convicted and sentence to death and not was not serving a prison sentence.
the OP stated clearly that what happened to the corpse of the inmate who died while serving in prison?

Most death sentenced inmates are often released to their family after execution is carried out or in some cases where their are no claims, the government handles the corpse.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Sccarrr: 9:09am On May 20
Yugoslavia247:

Yiu died in service. You r funeral is the govt responsibility. I am sure you have not served.
u go prolly still dey secondary school when I served....and stop twisting things, it's normal for them to be responsible for your funeral by helping your family fund the burial only if u die for where den put u,not that you left your PPA without permission or documentation and go die somewhere else.

they won't keep your corpse or force a burial site on the family...

Since according to u ,Nysc owns the corpse, meaning the family of the victim needs permission to visit the burial site every time they desire to in the future, does that make sense?
Stop the misinformation bro.😹

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by stephenponti(m): 9:10am On May 20
When fela died in prison did the government bury him? There you have the answer to your question.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Crossbow(m): 9:11am On May 20
shocked
We learn everyday
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Yugoslavia247(m): 9:21am On May 20
Sccarrr:
u go prolly still dey secondary school when I served....and stop twisting things, it's normal for them to be responsible for your funeral by helping your family fund the burial only if u die for where den put u,not that you left your PPA without permission or documentation and go die somewhere else. they won't keep your corpse or force a burial site on the family.

You clearly dont know jack. Go sleep
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by CJStarz: 9:22am On May 20
Ance4Liverpool:
They are buried in the prison with handcuffs. The prison warders only inform the family of the deceased for them to be aware
With handcuffs still even in death? Mind explaining why,my brother.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Sccarrr: 9:26am On May 20
Yugoslavia247:

You clearly dont know jack. Go sleep
typical olodo submission, I hope you've learned something today tho.

also below is news of people receiving corpses from nysc
https://guardian.ng/news/tears-grief-as-nysc-flies-bodies-of-corps-members-to-uyo-for-burial/
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Egbetayo(m): 9:28am On May 20
2mch:

Wow. So they don’t escape Nigeria's sentence even in death. Lol.

You are 90% Correct. However, I don't know who determines the burial site. The case in mind is a prominent politician who died in prison doing OBJ tenure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO / Plz How Does Postinol 10 Works? / WHO: Countries Should Not Require Proof Of Vaccine For International Travel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.