Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,059 members, 7,859,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 07:32 PM

What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? (21900 Views)

Family Protests At Ibadan Hospital Over Mutilated Corpse Of Relative (Graphic) / 5 Die Conveying Corpse Of Cholera Victim From Lagos To Sokoto (Pictures) / Hospital Produces Wrong Corpse Of Nurudeen Alowonle For Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by JordanMichael(m): 4:01pm On May 20
I had a chat with an ex convict some years ago and he told me same thing. The reason been that they're are still prisoners and still guilty embarassed
KiNg0G:

With handcuffs? nor be everything be play na OGa
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by EskorB(m): 4:06pm On May 20
If such a person was in awaiting trial, the family will be connected and body released for proper burial but the are certain things and process to be followed.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by tabaralph: 5:20pm On May 20
KiNg0G:

Really bro? Nlfpmod is this true

Fact!
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Gandrova: 5:34pm On May 20
Ance4Liverpool:
Have u been to prison b4?
I am a correctional officer
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Innobee99(m): 5:54pm On May 20
KiNg0G:

With handcuffs? nor be everything be play na OGa
That's the fact. They're buried with handcuffs and some are even buried face down in the grave. Prison no be child's play
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by EMIOMOADEOYE: 6:20pm On May 20
Nigerians never cease to amaze.

The law does not stipulate that a dead inmate is government property.

The law does not make provision from embalming, cremating or burying a dead inmate.

The body is typically deposited at a morgue upon confirmation and certification of death.

The body can then be claimed by families at the morgue.

I don't know where you guys saw or read that the government will bury an inmate.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by EMIOMOADEOYE: 6:25pm On May 20
KiNg0G:
We had a prominent man in my town who died recently in prison, and just this evening, a friend brought the issue up amongst us, and I asked when his burial was.. surprisingly another person replied...na wa for you o...person when government don bury since.

I was shocked and I am still shocked. This makes me wonder

What happens to inmates who die in prison? Are they released to their families or are they still considered government property? Someone told me they are buried by the government, and I don't believe it, as I think they are released to their families after their demise for them to make arrangements and proper burial.
Since not all are serving life imprisonments.

If they are certified dead, the body is deposited at the morgue.

The family can claim it there.

For this prominent man who your friends claim was buried, who ACTUALLY buried him? People can say all sorts of things and spread unfounded rumour.

WHo did the burying and was it even him that was buried. Someone else may have been buried and then the story somehow collides and everyone assumes it was the prominent man. If he was that prominent, he can never be buried just like that

The people who are buried just like that are usually victims of extrajudicial killings. You know what i mean...innocent boys who are whisked away for trumped up charges and then executed.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Joy2dworldxyz: 8:15pm On May 20
Inmates still serving can't die
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by lightwind(m): 10:30pm On May 20
KiNg0G:
We had a prominent man in my town who died recently in prison, and just this evening, a friend brought the issue up amongst us, and I asked when his burial was.. surprisingly another person replied...na wa for you o...person when government don bury since.

What happens to inmates who die in prison? Are they released to their families or are they still considered government property? Someone told me they are buried by the government, and I don't believe it, as I think they are released to their families after their demise for them to make arrangements and proper burial.

Hey, Are you referring to Newton from Warri ?
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by SweetDipBenny(m): 1:52am On May 21
sad
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by SweetDipBenny(m): 1:54am On May 21
KiNg0G:

Imagine you were in prison, and you die, they'll just bury you and then inform your family
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by IamAsiri: 1:56am On May 21
KiNg0G:

Really bro? Nlfpmod is this true

It is true o. They will finish serving their prison time even in death, until the time lapses after which the chains are then removed.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Fujiyama: 3:52am On May 21
Sobering thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Osun Bans All Public Gatherings / No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO / Plz How Does Postinol 10 Works?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.