Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,911 members, 7,848,674 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 08:29 AM

What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? (21769 Views)

Family Protests At Ibadan Hospital Over Mutilated Corpse Of Relative (Graphic) / 5 Die Conveying Corpse Of Cholera Victim From Lagos To Sokoto (Pictures) / Hospital Produces Wrong Corpse Of Nurudeen Alowonle For Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by BadBradley: 9:28am On May 20
For the first time I never knew Nigerians are this ignorant and illiterate especially nairalmaders. Or is this forum just peopled by kids mentally and materially useless?

Death ends all sentence and the corpse belongs 100% to the family. Also Prisoners are not government properties.

When a prisoners dies, they are often double checked to make certain they are dead before their families are contacted to remove them. If no family members come forward, then they Re buried in cemeteries and not inside the prison yard.

God help Nairaland.

4 Likes

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by VaginaAcademic: 9:29am On May 20
tivity101:
No wonder we no even heat about Chief Newton burial after he leggo for krench. Ekpan people I fear una
abeg gist me him story
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Verbtips(m): 9:30am On May 20
KiNg0G:

With handcuffs? nor be everything be play na OGa
them the use them for specimen
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by VaginaAcademic: 9:31am On May 20
I remember when my cousin a medical student back then brought home a human leg for home study omo I run o he told me it belonged to a condemned criminal.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by ufomskylashi: 9:34am On May 20
tivity101:
No wonder we no even heat about Chief Newton burial after he leggo for krench. Ekpan people I fear una
Chief Newton matter go cause another gbege if dem bring ammmm. Both sides or parties never "settle or ready for settlement." That matter go scatter d town. Leave ammmm na Delta politics

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by prophetfire: 9:50am On May 20
KiNg0G:
We had a prominent man in my town who died recently in prison, and just this evening, a friend brought the issue up amongst us, and I asked when his burial was.. surprisingly another person replied...na wa for you o...person when government don bury since.

I was shocked and I am still shocked. This makes me wonder

What happens to inmates who die in prison? Are they released to their families or are they still considered government property? Someone told me they are buried by the government, and I don't believe it, as I think they are released to their families after their demise for them to make arrangements and proper burial.
Since not all are serving life imprisonments.
If you have such problem, meet a lawyer who would look at the circumstances and tell you what is obtainable.
There's no strict rules. It depends on a lot. Is he a convict? A detainee awaiting trial?
On life sentence? A condemned?
All this have different rules.
If he's just a detainee awaiting trial, getting his corpse is very easy if the family shows up.
Don't mind all this mad men with empty skulls littering nairaland.

4 Likes

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by callmevirus(m): 9:53am On May 20
KiNg0G:

Yes that's true, he will be handcuffed till he finishes his sentence, the prison will then call his family to come and exhume anything remaining there.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Offpoint1: 9:59am On May 20
AutoConsult:
They are buried by the government till their sentences end. Their families can come to claim their remains when they finish serving the years.
Your sentence ends the day you die, if they can reach your family your corpse can be released.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by toygod2: 10:06am On May 20
Oh wow
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by jacoik(m): 10:06am On May 20
Ance4Liverpool:
They are buried in the prison with handcuffs. The prison warders only inform the family of the deceased for them to be aware
why with handcuffs
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by oladipuposadeeq(m): 10:11am On May 20
KiNg0G:

he is stating facts that's how it's done even if one is detained waiting for his/her bail conditions to be met while in kirikiri and not sentenced yet, if the person dies then he/she would be buried with hands & legs handcuffed.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by braimeddy: 10:12am On May 20
So if it is life imprisonment you are now say the grave will now be chained forevere right ?
illicit:
They are buried by govt in a special yard

The grave is chained and locked with the year the prison sentence will elapse written boldly on it...
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by mylesJ: 10:12am On May 20
Depend on the circumstances of death ..
First next of kin or family will be contacted ..
Autopsy carried out to determine the true cause of death .. mostly when suspicious.
Corpse ll be deposited at the morgue . Time ll be given for families to get the body for burial according to their traditions ..
If no one turns up within a given time body ll be cremated or buried.
Death certificate will be issued to the family from the correction facility .
So yes in most cases families are allowed to burry their Dead .
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by igwedubai2(m): 10:18am On May 20
KiNg0G:

That is the truth they we be buried while they handcuffs their grave, until they complete their jail term b4 they released the handcuffs off them.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by caesymore(m): 10:21am On May 20
KiNg0G:

With handcuffs? no. ;Dr be everything be play na OGa

grin it's true though
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by younglexx(m): 10:23am On May 20
thuxzwda1:
FOR SALE:- Neatly Used In Nigeria 2018 Lexus Rx350 Fsport Edition SUV.
..... grin

Price?
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by illicit(m): 10:23am On May 20
braimeddy:
So if it is life imprisonment you are now say the grave will now be chained forevere right ?

Exactly
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by illicit(m): 10:23am On May 20
Tijani009:

Can the body be gotten back wen the sentence ends

I doubt it
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by GreaterFuture(m): 10:26am On May 20
stephenponti:
When fela died in prison did the government bury him? There you have the answer to your question.
Fela Died in Prison?
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by dododawa1: 10:41am On May 20
It is well
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by stephenponti(m): 10:43am On May 20
GreaterFuture:

Fela Died in Prison?

I had to make inquiry to be sure, the information I gave is wrong he did not die in prison.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by okoroemeka(m): 10:50am On May 20
KiNg0G:

Really bro? Nlfpmod is this true
yes i think it is true,the padlock and chain will not be opened until your sentence is finished,even in death you must serve your term
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by AutoConsult: 10:51am On May 20
Offpoint1:

Your sentence ends the day you die, if they can reach your family your corpse can be released.
Okay
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by okoroemeka(m): 10:54am On May 20
mylesJ:
Depend on the circumstances of death ..
First next of kin or family will be contacted ..
Autopsy carried out to determine the true cause of death .. mostly when suspicious.
Corpse ll be deposited at the morgue . Time ll be given for families to get the body for burial according to their traditions ..
If no one turns up within a given time body ll be cremated or buried.
Death certificate will be issued to the family from the correction facility .
So yes in most cases families are allowed to burry their Dead .
seems you don't live in Nigeria or watch too much Dstv,the only corpse they will release is awaiting trial inmates,if you are sentenced in Nigeria you will finish the term even in your grave,it is even worse if you are serving Life term your very corpse will be shackled in chains and padlock,them no send you in Nigeria,I have had the eye watering experience of spending a couple of months in Nigerian prison,my brother, freedom is the greatest asset.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Gandrova: 11:04am On May 20
Ance4Liverpool:
They are buried in the prison with handcuffs. The prison warders only inform the family of the deceased for them to be aware
It's not true. The family of the deceased are informed about the development. The Correctional service allow the family to claim their corpse for burial.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Johnn44: 11:04am On May 20
KiNg0G:
We had a prominent man in my town who died recently in prison, and just this evening, a friend brought the issue up amongst us, and I asked when his burial was.. surprisingly another person replied...na wa for you o...person when government don bury since.

I was shocked and I am still shocked. This makes me wonder

What happens to inmates who die in prison? Are they released to their families or are they still considered government property? Someone told me they are buried by the government, and I don't believe it, as I think they are released to their families after their demise for them to make arrangements and proper burial.
Since not all are serving life imprisonments.

[b] My neighbour in Warri Delta state was caught in armed robbery and was sentenced. His daughter never had the love of father while growing up cos papa was imprisoned. She lived with grandparents who lived in our street in warri.WHEN SHE TURNED ABOUT 8YO,PAPA DIED IN PRISON. The famoly buried him, printed obituary posters wella, WARRI/EFFURUN YOUTHS WORE WHITE TO THE BURIAL PROCESSION. My parents did not attend cos it was armed robber burial . so i wasnt there when they opened coffin to see if he was inside or it was just representative burial. but the burial procesion in our street in warri was long that day and the burial ceremony took almost the whole day. IN MY CULTURE, WE ONLY WEAR WHITE FOR CELEBRATION OF LIFE TO BURY OLD MAN WHO LIVEDLIKE 80YO,ETC. [/b]

DUDE THIS ARMED ROBBER DIED IN HIS YOUTH PRIME INSTEAD OF BLACK BURIAL CLOTH WAS WHITE. OMO
P.S AFTER THE DAD DIED, THE SURNAME OF THE 8YO DAUGHTER WAS ALSO CHANGED FROM FAMILY SURNAME TO HER FATHERS NAME TO KEEP HIS MEMORY ALIVE SINCE HE DIED YOUNG AND SPENT ALL HIS LIFE IN PRISON
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Gandrova: 11:05am On May 20
SUPERPACK:
They are mostly donated to medical institutes as Cadaver for practicals.
Only the unclaimed ones by the families.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Gandrova: 11:06am On May 20
illicit:

The grave is chained and locked with the year the prison sentence will elapse written boldly on it...
Small small lies bro. grin
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Gandrova: 11:12am On May 20
The standard protocol is to informed the parents or families of the deceased based on the address on their warrant during admission in the yard.
If the family didn't turn up or didn't come to claim their corpse in the hospital or mortuary, the hospital will inform Correctional service because it's not free they are kept in the mortuary. The Minister of interior must be informed before necessary action is taken.
Note, Correctional service can't bury an inmate just like that never.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by LexMcquinn: 11:13am On May 20
KiNg0G:

Really bro? Nlfpmod is this true

He is right
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by hardbody: 11:15am On May 20
Quelme:
People saying they are donated as cadavers or buried by the government. What happens to the corpse of people like Ken Saro-Wiwa?

This question I think is situational and depends on the calibre of personality involved.

In my opinion, I think bodies of dead prison inmates are released to the families if they are reachable except otherwise.

I will prefer a verifiable source and authority not personal opinion. It is new knowledge for me. Is there a law?
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Onitola2: 11:16am On May 20
illicit:

I think that's for those on life imprisonment or death row

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My 2-Month-Baby Did Not Poop For Three Days, Is This Normal? / Burial Of Doctor Who Died Of Lassa Fever In Kogi (PHOTOS) / I'm Experiencing Sleep Paralysis - Please Advice!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.