Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,119 members, 7,860,038 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:33 AM

What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? (21907 Views)

Family Protests At Ibadan Hospital Over Mutilated Corpse Of Relative (Graphic) / 5 Die Conveying Corpse Of Cholera Victim From Lagos To Sokoto (Pictures) / Hospital Produces Wrong Corpse Of Nurudeen Alowonle For Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Ance4Liverpool: 11:17am On May 20
Gandrova:
It's not true. The family of the deceased are informed about the development. The Correctional service allow the family to claim their corpse for burial.
Have u been to prison b4?
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by hardbody: 11:17am On May 20
illicit:
They are buried by govt in a special yard

The grave is chained and locked with the year the prison sentence will elapse written boldly on it...

I recall my mum saying this some years back but i did not reckon it could have been the true state of things. Now I am really interested to know for the sake of knowledge
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Babaibeji2020(m): 11:29am On May 20
KiNg0G:

With handcuffs? nor be everything be play na OGa
Yes with handcuffs so there won't be a situation of sedating the felon with a view to exhuming after burial,more reason "assumed" corpse ain't handed to the family....
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by gasparpisciotta: 11:34am On May 20
KiNg0G, the next of kin, most likely families are informed and asked if they wish to claim the dead if not, it will be interred in Govt cemetery close to the prison.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by gasparpisciotta: 11:37am On May 20
BadBradley:
For the first time I never knew Nigerians are this ignorant and illiterate especially nairalmaders. Or is this forum just peopled by kids mentally and materially useless?

Death ends all sentence and the corpse belongs 100% to the family. Also Prisoners are not government properties.

When a prisoners dies, they are often double checked to make certain they are dead before their families are contacted to remove them. If no family members come forward, then they Re buried in cemeteries and not inside the prison yard.

God help Nairaland.

Lol.

The bodies can also be donated to medical colleges for practicals
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Sleekfingers: 11:49am On May 20
Some are release to the family . If they can follow through the procedures.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by ohosi4real(m): 11:59am On May 20
When a prisoner dies in prison, the handling of the body and the procedures that follow can vary depending on the jurisdiction and the circumstances of the death. In general, when a prisoner dies in prison, the following steps are typically taken:

Notification of Authorities: Prison authorities will notify the appropriate authorities, such as the coroner or medical examiner, as well as the deceased prisoner's next of kin or designated contact.
Investigation: A thorough investigation is usually conducted to determine the cause of death. This may involve an autopsy and other forensic examinations to establish whether the death was due to natural causes, suicide, homicide, or other reasons.
Handling of the Body: The body is typically handled according to established procedures. In many cases, the body is released to the family or next of kin for funeral arrangements. If the family is unable or unwilling to claim the body, the prison or local authorities may make arrangements for a burial or cremation.
Dark Day: A "dark day" is a term used in some prisons to refer to the process of observing a day of mourning or remembrance when a prisoner dies. This may involve special protocols or procedures within the prison to honor the deceased, such as a moment of silence, counseling services for other inmates affected by the death, or other forms of support.
The specific policies and practices regarding the handling of deceased prisoners can vary widely between different jurisdictions and prison systems. It is important to note that the treatment of deceased prisoners is governed by laws, regulations, and established protocols to ensure that their rights are respected and that proper procedures are followed.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by johnbosco97(m): 12:09pm On May 20
Quelme:
People saying they are donated as cadavers or buried by the government. What happens to the corpse of people like Ken Saro-Wiwa?

This question I think is situational and depends on the calibre of personality involved.

In my opinion, I think bodies of dead prison inmates are released to the families if they are reachable except otherwise.

Ken Saro Wiwa was dissolved in acid and buried in an unknown grave. He was an enemy of the State.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Lance008(m): 12:12pm On May 20
Quelme:
People saying they are donated as cadavers or buried by the government. What happens to the corpse of people like Ken Saro-Wiwa?

This question I think is situational and depends on the calibre of personality involved.

In my opinion, I think bodies of dead prison inmates are released to the families if they are reachable except otherwise.
Very correct
Some people family no get bail talkless of burial
Na only serious criminal govt Dey seize their body
Highest dem go come the person house come chain the grave after the term finish dem go loose am
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Lance008(m): 12:14pm On May 20
If better person die for prison first self the family go sue govt even if them know say the case no get head
Na yeye armed robber mak their family reject them dey donate out
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Kennitrust(m): 12:19pm On May 20
Nwaokunkpara:
There used to be a time NLand was this educational until APC started paying some stupid people stipends
especially that helinue nonsense.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by dinkyicon: 12:19pm On May 20
KiNg0G:

Really bro? Nlfpmod is this true
yes in books but I'm not sure in reality. That's what the law states
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by dinkyicon: 12:21pm On May 20
ohosi4real:
When a prisoner dies in prison, the handling of the body and the procedures that follow can vary depending on the jurisdiction and the circumstances of the death. In general, when a prisoner dies in prison, the following steps are typically taken:

Notification of Authorities: Prison authorities will notify the appropriate authorities, such as the coroner or medical examiner, as well as the deceased prisoner's next of kin or designated contact.
Investigation: A thorough investigation is usually conducted to determine the cause of death. This may involve an autopsy and other forensic examinations to establish whether the death was due to natural causes, suicide, homicide, or other reasons.
Handling of the Body: The body is typically handled according to established procedures. In many cases, the body is released to the family or next of kin for funeral arrangements. If the family is unable or unwilling to claim the body, the prison or local authorities may make arrangements for a burial or cremation.
Dark Day: A "dark day" is a term used in some prisons to refer to the process of observing a day of mourning or remembrance when a prisoner dies. This may involve special protocols or procedures within the prison to honor the deceased, such as a moment of silence, counseling services for other inmates affected by the death, or other forms of support.
The specific policies and practices regarding the handling of deceased prisoners can vary widely between different jurisdictions and prison systems. It is important to note that the treatment of deceased prisoners is governed by laws, regulations, and established protocols to ensure that their rights are respected and that proper procedures are followed.

chat gpt
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Babssoo(m): 12:36pm On May 20
Ance4Liverpool:
They are buried in the prison with handcuffs. The prison warders only inform the family of the deceased for them to be aware
Haba na wa oo
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Babssoo(m): 12:37pm On May 20
grin You Dey joke? grin grin
illicit:
They are buried by govt in a special yard

The grave is chained and locked with the year the prison sentence will elapse written boldly on it...
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Father4all: 12:45pm On May 20
The become Government property
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 12:53pm On May 20
Sccarrr:
person child go die, nysc go con seize d corpse go donate am for medical school or bury am keep for the remaining months of the service year and give it back after...Does that make sense to u?😹

All those Forms we signed are designed not to hold dem responsible or get sued in the course of an unfortunate event, not for them to keep the corpse.

So you sef dey take that person serious abi? 😂😂😂

He dey wyne you and you sef dey wyne yourself.

When NYSC turn to imprisonment or jail term service?

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Quelme: 1:00pm On May 20
igbarasdynasty:

This is a different scenario, As for Ken Saro Wiwa, he was convicted and sentence to death and not was not serving a prison sentence.
the OP stated clearly that what happened to the corpse of the inmate who died while serving in prison?

Most death sentenced inmates are often released to their family after execution is carried out or in some cases where their are no claims, the government handles the corpse.
what about Shehu Musa Yaradua and Abiola who died in during their incarceration?
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by TruthOff: 1:29pm On May 20
thuxzwda1:
FOR SALE:- Neatly Used In Nigeria 2018 Lexus Rx350 Fsport Edition SUV.
..... grin
How much is the car?
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by illicit(m): 1:30pm On May 20
Babssoo:
grin You Dey joke? grin grin

Serious
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Ten06(m): 1:31pm On May 20
Who will pay the mortuary bill for a dead prisoner? Immediately prisoner die, after getting the required permit from the government office in charge, they are immediately taken to burial ground where they are buried with handcuff on their hand.
I have seen prisoners been buried several times
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Nwaokunkpara: 1:33pm On May 20
Kennitrust:
especially that helinue nonsense.

You forgot to mention that yarimo who sees life from his anus
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by omoharry(f): 1:52pm On May 20
greggng:
When an inmate dies, one of two or three things can occur to the body. The family/next of kin can take it and accept the responsibility of disposing of it. Whether burying or cremation is chosen, they can do whatever they please.

The prisoner may have previously filled out the proper forms to donate their body to science. If that's the case, it is kept on ice until the proper authorities arrive and take the body off their hands.

Lastly, if nobody claims the body or has been assigned to take custody of it, then the state either cremates or buries it in a cemetery nearby, which has been created for such a situation. They will not pay for a costly casket or funeral. Instead…the body will be put into a glorified cardboard box and simply placed in the ground and covered up. They Inmate trustees will probably dig the grave
Of all the responses provided for this question, yours seems to make more sense because I know Government would not just seize a body when the family of the deceased is know or available to claim their dead.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by omoharry(f): 1:56pm On May 20
okoroemeka:
seems you don't live in Nigeria or watch too much Dstv,the only corpse they will release is awaiting trial inmates,if you are sentenced in Nigeria you will finish the term even in your grave,it is even worse if you are serving Life term your very corpse will be shackled in chains and padlock, them no send you in Nigeria, I have had the eye watering experience of spending a couple of months in Nigerian prison, my brother, freedom is the greatest asset.
Are you for real with this information. The dead inmate will be in shackled even in death? Does that mean his family cannot have access to him for burial? Because if they do then, they wouldn't want to bury their love ones like that.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Babssoo(m): 2:13pm On May 20
grin grin grin grin grin
illicit:

Serious
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by omoharry(f): 2:21pm On May 20
prophetfire:
If you have such problem, meet a lawyer who would look at the circumstances and tell you what is obtainable.
There's no strict rules. It depends on a lot. Is he a convict? A detainee awaiting trial?
On life sentence? A condemned?
All this have different rules.
If he's just a detainee awaiting trial, getting his corpse is very easy if the family shows up.
Don't mind all this mad men with empty skulls littering nairaland.
Does that mean that if he happens to be convicted felon that is serving a long time in prison or life imprisonment ,his body will not be released to his family for Burial?
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by eepeepook: 2:28pm On May 20
If the family doesn’t claim it, government burial in a cheap coffin with an unmarked grave. If the family claims it, good. There are some prison and hospital staff who sell unclaimed bodies to herbalists and learning institutions. Knowing Naija, families of the poor won’t be alerted. Only the wealthy have a say in this nation.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by tivity101: 2:33pm On May 20
Omo the guy na don for him community when do many unprintable things. Cause many community kasala for ekpan. Na so community rebel am give government. 2seconds government weep am go krench. Guy man still reach krench go give prison Warden Belle for the maras . Las las still go denkwess for krench
VaginaAcademic:
abeg gist me him story

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by prophetfire: 3:10pm On May 20
omoharry:
Does that mean that if he happens to be convicted felon that is serving a long time in prison or life imprisonment ,his body will not bEe released to his family for Burial?
No. I was implying that the process differ.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by Skydivine: 3:13pm On May 20
Yugoslavia247:

Yiu died in service. You r funeral is the govt responsibility. I am sure you have not served.
Not necessarily. My friends wife died in NYSC and no official was involved in the burial. My friend and the girl’s family did the burial.
I was there and involved. No be hear say.
Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by VaginaAcademic: 3:30pm On May 20
tivity101:
Omo the guy na don for him community when do many unprintable things. Cause many community kasala for ekpan. Na so community rebel am give government. 2seconds government weep am go krench. Guy man still reach krench go give prison Warden Belle for the maras . Las las still go denkwess for krench
the man really do things thanks for the info grin

1 Like

Re: What Happens To The Corpse Of Inmates Who Died In Prison? by stasius: 3:45pm On May 20
What if the terms he will serve expires and his people demand for his body to accord him proper burial?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

No Evidence That COVID-19 Survivors Can’t Be Reinfected - WHO / Plz How Does Postinol 10 Works? / WHO: Countries Should Not Require Proof Of Vaccine For International Travel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.