Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,105 members, 7,867,176 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 11:50 AM

Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka (886 Views)

Gridlock As Fuel Queues Resurface In Lagos / Queues Resurface As Tinubu Announces Fuel Subsidy Removal / Petrol Queues Resurface In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by Sweetphronesis: 3:33pm On May 23
I Was Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria After 1967-70 Civil War –Soyinka

May 23, 2024

Nobel Laureate Prof Wole Soyinka has narrated how he got into trouble with the Nigerian government when he said it could not defeat Biafra. The literary icon said that, therefore, he was surprised that it took so long for the Biafra agitation to be resurrected as spearheaded by Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

Between July 1967 and January 1970, a civil war known as the Biafran War was fought between Nigeria and the Republic of Biafra, a secessionist state which had declared its independence from Nigeria in 1967. The secession was led by Lieutenant Colonel Chukwuemeka "Emeka" Odumegwu Ojukwu.

“So nothing surprised me at all, in fact, it surprised me that they took so long in terms of the Biafra resurrection to take place in terms of consciousness,” Soyinka said in a recent interview with Noble Nigeria.

According to Soyinka, it is a mistake for the Nigerian government to keep Kanu in detention since 2021.
He said Kanu had the right to pursue his cause for a separate nation of Biafra as “he was never accused of physically bombing any place or killing anyone”.

He said, “I said at the time and this is what got me into serious trouble, they felt that by making the statement, in fact, it was single out, that by making such a statement, I was trying to demoralise the federal side and actively promote the Biafran cause when I said and I wrote that ‘You cannot defeat Biafra’.

“And people took a very simplistic approach to understanding that; they thought I was talking about the battlefield. That is involved as well because when the people are determined, they are willing to sacrifice anything to preserve their identity when they feel they are on a righteous cause.

“It’s difficult to defeat them, yes. If there is any military defeat, it’s only temporary. The real issues remain unsolved. I mean, that is a lesson of history all over the world. And so, when I made that statement, Biafra, that notion, concept and all that it involved, the antecedents and the present including the future, seeing what a people who were determined to go on their own, seeing what they could become, that is part and parcel of the cause and when you have that kind of binding combination of different causes, it is very difficult to defeat them and so Nnamdi Kanu represents that concept.”

Source: https://saharareporters.com/2024/05/23/i-was-surprised-it-took-long-biafra-consciousness-resurface-nigeria-after-1967-70-civil

lalasticlala nlfpmod mynd44 dominique

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by Sweetphronesis: 3:35pm On May 23
Points he made in the interview:

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by Bardo: 3:37pm On May 23
undecided
Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by descarado: 3:37pm On May 23
This man should rest please.
He no dey tire abi they always tell him what to say at a given point in time?

3 Likes

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by NothingDoMe: 3:38pm On May 23
descarado:
The calculation was that Easterners would commence aggressive Biafra agitation after 2023 general elections.

However the region is largely silent. Even the North keeps prodding them to protest against the government's policies to no avail.

Soyinka is wasting his time as well.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by longetivity(m): 3:39pm On May 23
Nigerian government should free Nnamdi Kanu.

5 Likes

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by zeuss: 3:43pm On May 23
descarado:

The truth is bitter......moreso for the wicked.

2 Likes

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by WhiteNRed: 3:52pm On May 23
Double-faced man.
Your comments are needed regarding Tinubu's goverment -The only man who built Lagos, and has the capacity to build Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by Melagros(m): 4:04pm On May 23
COMRADES, hypocrite man has spoken

3 Likes

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by fnep2smooth(m): 4:09pm On May 23
So what is he saying now? we should start fighting again and let them kill us in our millions again?

The Civil War is a bed time story back in the east. you can get raid of it just like that. story that will be pass on from generation to generation.

1 Like

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by ablejesus26(m): 4:09pm On May 23
If You can't call out this mass failure personified called Tinubu with his evil APC that has been nothing but a curse to the Country,then just rest.

I wonder why an old man will be afraid to say the Truth as it is.

1 Like

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by BigkokoRep: 4:13pm On May 23
He's letting the cat 😸 out of the bag!

Their Plan was that if Igbo Obidients would go crazy over the electoral heist of 2023 oversee by Prof Yaks, and shamelessly validated by the cripple CJN.... Sorry to disappoint una.... Igbos are wiser now.

No body go fight una. As money no dey again for una to sponsor UGM, SE is now relatively peaceful.

At least, despite the mass movement back to SE during Xmas, SE was peaceful, enjoyable and relaxing...no single catacata....

But can we say the same for SW & North?

There's nothing the Nigerian Deep State can do to provoke us again. We will slowly watch Nigeria destroyed under it's burden, just like PDP watched Nwa-ike danced to his political destruction!

4 Likes

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by pandax: 4:28pm On May 23
NothingDoMe:
The calculation was that Easterners would commence aggressive Biafra agitation after 2023 general elections.

However the region is largely silent. Even the North keeps prodding them to protest against the government's policies to no avail.

Soyinka is wasting his time as well.

There is a change in strategy in the East. The Youths, Nationalists, and Federalists are now in unison. One mind, one agenda that will unfold very soon.

1 Like

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by Vicotex(m): 4:33pm On May 23
I hear say Ahoy drop one track for tinubu during his campaign
Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by Mrexcell(m): 4:36pm On May 23
No need for any other biafra war nigeria will definitely divide by itself someday if it continues on this trajectory.

3 Likes

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by MEEVEET: 4:41pm On May 23
BigkokoRep:
He's letting the cat 😸 out of the bag!

Their Plan was that if Igbo Obidients would go crazy over the electoral heist of 2023 oversee by Prof Yaks, and shamelessly validated by the cripple CJN.... Sorry to disappoint una.... Igbos are wiser now.

No body go fight una. As money no dey again for una to sponsor UGM, SE is now relatively peaceful.

At least, despite the mass movement back to SE during Xmas, SE was peaceful, enjoyable and relaxing...no single catacata....

But can we say the same for SW & North?

There's nothing the Nigerian Deep State can do to provoke us again. We will slowly watch Nigeria destroyed under it's burden, just like PDP watched Nwa-ike danced to his political destruction!
She shocked them... They thought we would protest lmao

Everyone must enjoy APC

3 Likes

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by Austineva(m): 4:43pm On May 23
The redeclaration is 2nd December, 2024
Biafra is about to exit the Zoo called Nigeria
After a year war, Biafra will be actualised

I can't wait 🕺🏽🕺🏽🕺🏽🕺🏽
Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by EmeeNaka: 4:48pm On May 23
Igbos, please wise up.
Don't be deceived by Soyinka, his statement is self servicing. He is trying to paint himself as someone that can predict the future.
His claim is dead on arrival. The Current biafra agitation is a fraud and never represent the Igbo people, nor their South South neighbours.

1 Like

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by BigkokoRep: 4:50pm On May 23
My dear you see this French sweet cooked by the Chagoury crime syndicate, e go reach everyone! Those in UK are currently enjoying FX Bourbon.... Hahaha 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Papa wey say he pikin no go progress, he too no go die well!

MEEVEET:

She shocked them... They thought we would protest lmao

Everyone must enjoy APC

1 Like

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by BigkokoRep: 4:52pm On May 23
Only a foolish irresponsible Igbo will believe a man who supported Buhari twice back to back and Asiwaju..... Nothing good will ever come from such a person!

Anyway, I love the way our Igbo elites are ignoring them as they quietly move their assets from elsewhere back to the East and other Niger Delta region!

EmeeNaka:
Igbos, please wise up.
Don't be deceived by Soyinka, his statement is self servicing. He is trying to paint himself as someone that can predict the future.
His claim is dead on arrival. The Current biafra agitation is a fraud and never represent the Igbo people, nor their South South neighbours.

2 Likes

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by BigkokoRep: 4:56pm On May 23
Nigeria will end up like Nwa-ike political career Just ignore her like PDP ignore Nwa-ike until he danced himself to his political destruction!

Mrexcell:
No need for any other biafra war nigeria will definitely divide by itself someday if it continues on this trajectory.

1 Like

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by MEEVEET: 4:57pm On May 23
BigkokoRep:
My dear you see this French sweet cooked by the Chagoury crime syndicate, e go reach everyone! Those in UK are currently enjoying FX Bourbon.... Hahaha 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Papa wey say he pikin no go progress, he too no go die well!

We way done they train for days like this since 1967 ... They never even see anything... This na Normals na and they are crying

2 Likes

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by DMerciful(m): 5:08pm On May 23
Because he supports Biafra now you want to insult him? If he criticise Igbos, you'll worship him
descarado:

1 Like

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by Gadafii: 5:08pm On May 23
This alaye old cultist should find one place sit down, he's no longer whom he thinks he is
Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by DMerciful(m): 5:10pm On May 23
STFU, nobody can kill us again even if Biafra is declared
fnep2smooth:
So what is he saying now? we should start fighting again and let them kill us in our millions again?

The Civil War is a bed time story back in the east. you can get raid of it just like that. story that will be pass on from generation to generation.
Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by ElSudani: 5:17pm On May 23
Time to let the Ibos go their separate ways.

1 Like

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by descarado: 5:19pm On May 23
DMerciful:
Because he supports Biafra now you want to insult him? If he criticise Igbos, you'll worship him
Close it, will you.
Are you rabid?
Sometimes, it pay to look people up before you jump on their mentions.
Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by DMerciful(m): 5:21pm On May 23
So why you come dey yarn like Agbado? Don't you know when to attack?
descarado:

Close it, will you.
Are you rabid?
Sometimes, it pay to look people up before you jump on their mentions.
Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by descarado: 5:29pm On May 23
WhiteNRed:
Double-faced man.
Your comments are needed regarding Tinubu's goverment -The only man who built Lagos, and has the capacity to build Nigeria.
Thank you.
Don't know why they give this man audience a lot

1 Like

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by descarado: 5:36pm On May 23
DMerciful:
So why you come dey yarn like Agbado? Don't you know when to attack?
Nwoke m, close your mouth.
You are becoming delusional.
Delusion made you not understand the simple language I used and what they meant.
To think I read your submissions most time.

The thing with most of you my brothers is that you wear your hearts on your sleeves. Very easy to read and don't know when to close mouth and just observe things from afar. Always cho cho cho like you know it all.
Even obi's plan of few yrs to come,na so una dey open mouth waaaaaaa to your enemies. Tomorrow, you will cry wolf.
Soyinka is being used to bait you guys and people like you are falling for it.
Sometimes, silence is golden. Learn from others that were more active than you before.
See as they have started worshipping Sanusi.
People that do not know what they want.
Not gonna reply you again.

2 Likes

Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by EzeChukwuIgbo: 5:37pm On May 23
fff
Re: Surprised It Took Long For Biafra Consciousness To Resurface In Nigeria -Soyinka by Goodvibes007: 5:37pm On May 23
Left to me, I think they should get their country if they want to. Then all of them can relocate back to Alaibo. Only those with work visa should be allowed into Nigeria.
ElSudani:
Time to let the Ibos go their separate ways.
I agree.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obasanjo Was Tensed Up / Us Court Indicts Jefferson In Bribery Probe / What Senators Got Allocated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.