Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,790 members, 7,862,616 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 08:55 PM

Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates (33785 Views)

Yari: It’s Unfair To Have Leaders Of Three Arms Of Government From The South / Kwara Assembly Stops Incoming Govt. From Dissolving LG Councils / Court Stops PDP From Dissolving Its Kano Executives. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by Lordsonn: 7:05am On May 24
shadrach77:

With due respect you lack wisdom sir. No court can void a law passed by the legislative arm of a state and signed into law by the state governor cry
You are correct. The supreme Court has ruled on this several times. No court has the power to stop any state assembly from performing it's oversight functions

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by bixton(m): 7:06am On May 24
casualobserver:
Kingship and traditional rulers are a state matter, Kings are not recognized under federal law. What is the business of the federal court?

You are really mistaken.
Do you really think a High Court Judge will assent to a matter that is not within the jurisdiction of the court. Do you really understand what that even means to any Judge who does that as a career public officer?
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by casualobserver: 7:07am On May 24
Akpakomiza2:

I know the law more than you sir by far.sanusi should have respected himself and stayed away.

Federal courts have no jurisdiction over traditional/customary matters. They are not recognized under Federal law. You can only preside over something that is under your purview.

If you knew what you were talking about, I was expecting you to say the injunction was made based on violation of human rights which is a federal matter. But that was just legal skulduggery to obtain an injunction which will not hold water.

If you knew the law you would have mentioned the above.

3 Likes

Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by correctyourself(m): 7:07am On May 24
Fiscus105:

Go and educate yourself,what they call, exparte order, and interlocutory injuction and reason for issuing such order .

See you think it's a child that is talking, when i sent money to wrong account and i got court order, the CTC was not ready within that week.
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by 7upnigeria: 7:07am On May 24
mushroomFarm:
Court can do nothing about something already decided by the legislature. It is the new law and the court must obey it

Its about to go down. Whether court or legislature. It humans that make laws for humans. Strong men decide the fate of weak men, forget law. Who wrote the law?
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by Emeskhalifa(m): 7:08am On May 24
correctyourself:
What surprises me here is that, the judge gave an order late yesterday, and certified true copy was also ready that same day, so government officials are so fast with discharging their responsibility?

Since when did they become so effective? grin the officials that , once it's 3:30pm they're already outside office waiting for their staff? grin grin

My brother, e shock me oooo, 😂😂😂
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by bixton(m): 7:08am On May 24
Lordsonn:

You are correct. The supreme Court has ruled on this several times. No court has the power to stop any state assembly from performing it's oversight functions

Did you read the letter from the court or you only wrote just because you read the headlines.....
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by Akpakomiza2: 7:09am On May 24
casualobserver:

Federal courts have no jurisdiction over traditional/customary matters. They are not recognized under Federal law. You can only preside over something that is under your purview.

If you knew what you were talking about, I was expecting you to say the injunction was made based on violation of human rights which is a federal matter. But that was just legal skulduggery to obtain an injunction which will not hold water.

You are right which means they won't get to appeal or supreme court abi
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by lionshare: 7:10am On May 24
Saao:
court can't stop the process of law making that went through due process and was completed

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-court-keeps-texas-border-security-law-hold-win-biden-2024-03-27/
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by casualobserver: 7:11am On May 24
bixton:

You are really mistaken.
Do you really think a High Court Judge will assent to a matter that is not within the jurisdiction of the court. Do you really understand what that even means to any Judge who does that as a career public officer?

Like I said, not only do you not know the law, you cannot read.

The injunction was made based on human rights. It was also an ex-parte order (I am sure you don’t know what that means)

It will be thrown out. No federal law or the constitution recognizes the existence of any King in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by Fiscus105(m): 7:12am On May 24
correctyourself:

See you think it's a child that is talking, when i sent money to wrong account and i got court order, the CTC was not ready within that week.

Just go and do what I told you, it's not only child that needs education, maybe I should also advice you to learn how to comment to post with unbiased mind.
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by lionshare: 7:12am On May 24
PepeXKermit:

How can court be going against something that is already law? Cruise nation🤣🤣

Again government needs to increase investments in education.
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by casualobserver: 7:12am On May 24
Akpakomiza2:

You are right which means they won't get to appeal or supreme court abi

They won’t get anywhere.

An exparte order is a tool of abuse of court process by rascal lawyers. Ex-parte means the other party is not present. Exparte orders are temporary orders pending the presence of the other party to present his side of the story.

For example I am your landlord, you haven’t paid rent for years, you go to court to obtain an exparte order prevent me your landlord from entering my property. The judge will ask why? You claim I violated your human rights, the judge grants you the order pending when he can hear from me.

The exparte order either expires or I come to court and the real matter will be heard or dismissed. In the case of Kano, either the exparte expires or when they get to court it will be struck out because there is no human rights violation and kingship matters is not under the jurisdiction of a federal court.

4 Likes

Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by OfficialAPCNig: 7:15am On May 24
Akpakomiza2:

It will affect the legitimacy of the emir,besides he will be easily sacked by a court soon.
Sanusi should not have returned and the Emirates should not have been dissolved.he should have just been made one of the emirs to avoid wahala
When we say Tinugbu supporters are infected with BATeria, some ediots will start crying.

Look at what an adult typed.

The court will sack who? Court only operates with extant law and as of today, the provisions of repealed Kano Emirate law is the only law any ongoing judgement on Kano Emirate will be based on.
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by correctyourself(m): 7:16am On May 24
Fiscus105:

Just go and do what I told you, it's not only child that needs education, maybe I should also advice you to learn how to comment to post with unbiased mind.

They play, the people that type and process that document and their families would eat cheken this weekend
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by Akpakomiza2: 7:16am On May 24
casualobserver:

They won’t get anywhere.

Lol.shoukd I quote several traditional matters/chieftaincy matters that have been settled by the apex court sir? Are you aware of the Anthony Ani vs Obong of Calabar matter that was decided by the apex court last year?

1 Like

Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by BigkokoRep: 7:18am On May 24
Ganduje is nobody. Asiwaju is using him to try keep a hold on Kano.... But he will fail

SamuelAnyawu:

Kwankwaso and Ganduje
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by SavageResponse(m): 7:18am On May 24
BigkokoRep:
Ndi Igbo Biko make una no chuck mouth. Na two Capone Asiwaju & Kwakwaso dey taste muscle. Allow Kwakwaso personally finish Asiwaju.

Kwakwanso is no match for Tinubu either in real life or in the dream
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by Akpakomiza2: 7:18am On May 24
OfficialAPCNig:

When we say Tinugbu supporters are infected with BATeria, some ediots will start crying.

Look at what an adult typed.

The court will sack who? Court only operates with extant law and as of today, the provisions of repealed Kano Emirate law is the only law any ongoing judgement on Kano Emirate will be based on.

I didn't say the court will sack,I said disobedience to court orders.besides,we don't know if that Emirates law was legally repealed and if all the processes were followed in reinstating sanusi

1 Like

Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by legallysly: 7:20am On May 24
casualobserver:

The Federal High Court is limited in its jurisdiction to the items enumerated under Section 251 of the 1999 Constitution.

I fail to see where Justice Liman derives jurisdiction (in a matter regarding the Kano State House of Assembly) from.

Even if the matter was brought under the Fundamental Rights Enforcement Procedure Rules (which means it can be filed in Federal or State High Courts), jurisdiction is no longer exercised 'piece meal'. A court cannot have jurisdiction in some parts of a case and lack jurisdiction in other areas.
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by casualobserver: 7:24am On May 24
legallysly:

The Federal High Court is limited in its jurisdiction to the items enumerated under Section 251 of the 1999 Constitution.

I fail to see where Justice Liman derives jurisdiction (in a matter regarding the Kano State House of Assembly) from.

He doesn’t, the matter presented before him was human rights. On that basis he granted ex parte injunction. Ofcourse ex-parte means the other party was not present. Ex parte injunction either expires or other party appears and states his case. At which point the case is thrown out because federal court has no jurisdiction over kingship matters and there is no rights violation.

1 Like

Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by deumveritatis: 7:26am On May 24
Its pathetic seeing people you thought are educated making a very shallow and unintelligent comment in total disgrace to their families just in a bid to defend a failed corrupt government; after the just concluded presidential election, we saw clearly the tribe that's the real problem of Nigeria, not the propaganda and lies sold to us even before 1960. May 29 is around the corner, let's see the propaganda and lies you people will cook this time as one year achievement in office, Nigerians are waiting. Its really a shame! shame on you people supporting these evil.
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by bixton(m): 7:28am On May 24
casualobserver:

Like I said, not only do you not know the law, you cannot read.

The injunction was made based on human rights. It was also an ex-parte order (I am sure you don’t know what that means)

It will be thrown out. No federal law or the constitution recognizes the existence of any King in Nigeria.

We will see how it goes.
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by BigkokoRep: 7:28am On May 24
In the just concluded fight for who owns Kano, it's currently 1-0 in favor of Kwakwaso! With reinstainment of SLS, it's currently 2-0....

SavageResponse:

Kwakwanso is no match for Tinubu either in real life or in the dream
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by legallysly: 7:28am On May 24
casualobserver:

He doesn’t, the matter presented before him was human rights. On that basis he granted ex parte injunction. Ofcourse ex-parte means the other party was not present. Ex parte injunction either expires or other party appears and states his case. At which point the case is thrown out because federal court has no jurisdiction over kingship matters and there is no rights violation.

The order will likely not be set aside on June 3. 2024 which is the next adjourned date. The stakes are just too high for the court to do that

But I expect the Respondents to file Preliminary Objections before then.

And I doubt if they will be able to serve the Respondents with the order of injunction before Sanusi's coronation. I am sure the principal officers of those organisations and government bodies will be unavoidably absent until Monday.
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by casualobserver: 7:29am On May 24
Akpakomiza2:

Lol.shoukd I quote several traditional matters/chieftaincy matters that have been settled by the apex court sir? Are you aware of the Anthony Ani vs Obong of Calabar matter that was decided by the apex court last year?

But what was the path to the court of appeal? I am sure if you examine, there was no federal court involved. State court. to court of appeal to Supreme Court. No federal court involved. Federal high court has no business with kingship matters.

2 Likes

Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by Triangles1(m): 7:31am On May 24
correctyourself:
What surprises me here is that, the judge gave an order late yesterday, and certified true copy was also ready that same day, so government officials are so fast with discharging their responsibility?

Since when did they become so effective? grin the officials that , once it's 3:30pm they're already outside office waiting for their staff bus? grin grin

LoL, you get mouth die.
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by BarrElChapo(m): 7:32am On May 24
casualobserver:
Kingship and traditional rulers are a state matter, Kings are not recognized under federal law. What is the business of the federal court?

The courts can be clothed with jurisdiction because the applicants came under the Fundamental Rights Enforcement Rules.
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by BizTrust: 7:33am On May 24
Federal high court has no business with kingship and this has been enacted into the state constitution. This is the kind of see finish our judges involve themselves, overnight court order. Poor people obeys court order, nothing concerns politicians or wealthy people with court order. Those ones has strong head

We still handle your drywall or gypsum board ceiling installations

Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by Akpakomiza2: 7:36am On May 24
casualobserver:

But what was the path to the court of appeal? I am sure if you examine, there was no federal court involved. State court. to court of appeal to Supreme Court. No federal court involved. Federal high court has no business with kingship matters.

I thought you said the federal courts have no part to play here and that the matter won't go anywhere,that is it will end only at the high court.
Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by casualobserver: 7:36am On May 24
Akpakomiza2:

I thought you said the federal courts have no part to play here and that the matter won't go anywhere,that is it will end only at the high court.

Federal high court, which is where the injunction was obtained and the subject under discussion. You are just being pedantic because you know what I meant.

Kingship matters are strictly state matters. The federal court of appeal and Supreme Court only come in as appellate courts for the state high court . A federal high court has no jurisdiction over Kingship matters,they don’t exist under federal law. Any matter relating to kingship has to originate at the state high court.

1 Like

Re: Sanusi II: Court Bars Kano Government From Dissolving Emirates by Houseontherock1: 7:37am On May 24
What's wrong with the judiciary and the polithiefcians? I wish polithiefcians and the judiciary will mess themselves up and leave innocent Nigerians out of the mess they create! Nothing will come out of this court case but the judge just want to make some noise

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dogara Is A Better Leader, More Competent Than Gbajabiamila - Tambuwal / Nigerian Air Force Deploys Additional Combat Aircraft To North East (Photos) / Buhari At Ministerial Retreat (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.