Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,989 members, 7,863,518 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 07:21 PM

Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday (16203 Views)

PDP NWC Submits Reports On Wike As NEC Meets Thursday / Labour Shifts Ground On N1m Minimum Wage As Panel Meets Monday / Onnoghen, Mohammed Reply Queries As NJC Meets Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by thesicilian: 1:49pm On May 25
triplechoice:

It's you who didn't understand what they were trying to achieve with their initial proposal . If they had started with 100k, the government would have just added an additional 10k to the old minimum wage and signed it into law.
I don't believe that's true. I sincerely believe they wanted something more than 200k at least. Even if you want to go high to come down in between, 600k was just too ridiculous for anyone to take them seriously
Anyways I still have a feeling negations will end in the region of 70-80k
Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by triplechoice(m): 2:02pm On May 25
casualobserver:
It’s one thing to set minimum wage, it is another to implement it. I read the other day that there is a state in the North that pays N7000 minimum wage years after the N30,000 minimum wage was introduced.

Labour said that only 5 states out of 36 in Nigeria are not paying the correct minimum wage.

We don't you focus on the majority paying it instead of the insignificant number not paying.
Are you looking for an excuse on behalf of government or what?
Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by Paramount01(m): 2:07pm On May 25
Justiceganduje:
Too low.

They should go on strike abi?
Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by triplechoice(m): 2:22pm On May 25
thesicilian:

I don't believe that's true. I sincerely believe they wanted something more than 200k at least. Even if you want to go high to come down in between, 600k was just too ridiculous for anyone to take them seriously
Anyways I still have a feeling negations will end in the region of 70-80k

Past experiences is the reason they came up with the initial proposal. Some of us have been saying so here on this forum.

BTW labour gave a breakdown of the figure which reflected the current state of the economy as well as the current value of the naira to the dollar.

Your 500k is not as valuable as before. You're still looking at the surface value of the naira to call it unrealistic figure.

The true value of a nation's currency is what it can get you from the market and not the figure attached to it,if not we can say that all citizens of francophone countries around us who buy and sell in millions of their local currency everyday are millionaires. It's only when you convert their currency to like the dollar you get the true picture.

That's it.

At the moment,500k is much more less in value than it was a year ago before the current government came to float the naira to render almost useless.
Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by mrkia(m): 2:47pm On May 25
Now every sane body will agree you been realistic with this one
Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by Alex80s(m): 2:49pm On May 25
100k is okay. If you can't pay your lowest in position worker 100k, use your family members and do the job or reduce your staff strength and pay pay well.

1 Like

Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by Solababa91(m): 2:49pm On May 25
With the way prices of good keeps skyrocketing every market days, I'm tempted to support labour to even negotiate above 100k, because no one would have believed that a cup of Garri would sell for 250, rice for 300, white beans for 300 two years ago. We only know of today no one can tell where this govt is taking Nigeria to. If prices of things keeps increasing in the current progression, which it looks like it would because the govt looks insensitive to this development as no concrete steps are been taken either than "we would, we shall" that 100k may be valueless in the next 2 years also bearing in mind that labor cannot negotiate minimum wage yearly.
Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by Fearurcreeator: 2:58pm On May 25
Sheuns:
Why ask for 615K naira in the first place?

You gave these government officials chance to take you as jokers.

I hope those saying 100k is too small aren’t business owners that pay staff salaries. Because you will have to pay 100K naira monthly to your least paid staff.
Those ones no Sabi anything na
Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by Fearurcreeator: 2:59pm On May 25
NaijaCowFarm:
N100000 is still poor. That is about $63 a month.
Nigerians are poor people!
You can start employing to start paying $2k ... Oniyeye
Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by heysquare(m): 3:07pm On May 25
Las Las na 65k Una go settle for. How come Labour Union come bring the amount from 615k to 100k? Unrealistic Jester Labour
Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by thesicilian: 5:54pm On May 25
triplechoice:

Past experiences is the reason they came up with the initial proposal. Some of us have been saying so here on this forum.

BTW labour gave a breakdown of the figure which reflected the current state of the economy as well as the current value of the naira to the dollar.

Your 500k is not as valuable as before. You're still looking at the surface value of the naira to call it unrealistic figure.

The true value of a nation's currency is what it can get you from the market and not the figure attached to it,if not we can say that all citizens of francophone countries around us who buy and sell in millions of their local currency everyday are millionaires. It's only when you convert their currency to like the dollar you get the true picture.

That's it.

At the moment,500k is much more less in value than it was a year ago before the current government came to float the naira to render almost useless.

Well, I guess you're right. When one is dealing with a snake (FG) one has to be tricky as well.
Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by jackie111(m): 7:53pm On May 25
I feel this thing will later end with N40k. Nigerian government cannot do the kind of giveaway that Labour union wants.
Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by elmarafa20: 8:07pm On May 25
It's quite unfortunate that the minimum wage cannot buy a bag of rice
Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by stasius: 8:34pm On May 25
Las Las na 70k Federal government dey eye.

If it gets to 100k then God is good.
Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by patosky3310(m): 10:39pm On May 25
Again, the NLC has compromised, just as before and always.
Re: Labour Eyes N100,000 Minimum Wage As NEC Meets Monday by Ideje: 12:02pm On May 26
They don't seem realistic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Helen Ukpabio Calls On Buhari To Apologies Over Boko Haram / You’re Peddling Falsehood, Okonjo-iweala To Ameachi / Christmas: Okorocha Provides Free Buses For Imo Indigenes In Lagos & Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.