Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,319 members, 7,867,864 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 05:34 AM

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (1296) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 (2366875 Views)

R36L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ15ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld / Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) / Chelsea Fans Thread : Winners of the FA Cup And League Winners 09/10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1293) (1294) (1295) (1296) (1297) (1298) (1299) ... (3554) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Roland17(m): 10:39pm On Oct 10, 2018
Fkhalifa:
In today's football, especially in England, physicality and strength rules..
Why dou you think Chelsea and Leicester won the league?
Fabregas himself said football used to be techniques and brains, but now power and pace..

I've watched Chelsea's luiz and rudiger well this season, and one thing I get jealous and wish we have is their strength, physicality and aggression, there's nothing much special about them technically.

Koscienly despite his brilliant play,his lack of physicality costs us a lot, I remembered how lukaku,pogba and griezmen fell him off the ball.

Our center pairings of Campbell and Toure was succesful largely because of physicality.

Mustafi,bellerrin,chambers,holding and monreal are sexy girls,and that's why Diego Costa and other ruthless players bully us a lot.

I insist we go sign black, tall, energetic no nonsense defender.

The fact that you are mentioning Campbell and Toure proves you are still stuck in previous decades. My brother football has evolved, you can not sit down there and cast aspersions at Wenger for being rigid and resisting change while you still hold on to Campbell and Toure era. Football has changed significantly and that includes the requirements for that position.

Let me burst your bubble about Luis at Chelsea. Luis is not starting for Sarri because of his physicality, if anything that idea is wrong. He is starting because of his technique on the ball. Sarri built his team around Jorginho, consequently, he needs a defender with good ball technique to move the ball quickly to the middle and to Jorginho. This allows Hazard to be more effective because he is not dropping deep to create, unlike under Conte, rather he is around the final third as Jorginho orchestrates the offense from the middle. These situations are possible because Luis has the ball technique to start the offense from the back. Luiz is not physically imposing, he lacks the power you are speaking about. You seriously crack me up when you use Luiz as an example of a strong defender. It is called "Sarri ball" for a reason bro. Ask your self, where is Zouma and Cahil?

Why is Pep and Manchester City going to continue their domination of the league? Prior to his arrival, they had Mangala, Demichellis, Kompany and Otamendi while Stones was in the fringes, all brute, power and strength but after Pep took over he did away with Mangala, Demichellis, Kompany had to revamp his game if he was to get in and Otamendi is longer a starter. Now you have Laporte and Stones, please tell me they are Pep's starters because they are physically strong! Pep has built his team around passing from the back and that requires technique, abeg tell me how the big strong and tall defenders at City have fared with that requirement? How about Liverpool?

How about VVD of Liverpool? Why is he heralded as the one of the best defenders in the EPL? Do you think it is because of his strength or physicality? Faaaaaar from it, infact when he tried to use his strength last week, it cost Liverpool points because it resulted in a penalty. Prior to him, they had Skrtel, Sahko, Toure, Caulker, Lovren, Matip (tall and strong) and Klopp only got disaster after disaster from your prototypical brute, strong and tall defenders. VVD's intelligence, positional awareness and technique on the ball has brought some balance and calmness to Liverpool's back-line.

Again, while strength and power is important in that role, it is not prioritized over intelligence and technique in the modern game.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 6:19am On Oct 11, 2018
Roland17:

The fact that you are mentioning Campbell and Toure proves you are still stuck in previous decades. My brother football has evolved, you can not sit down there and cast aspersions at Wenger for being rigid and resisting change while you still hold on to Campbell and Toure era. Football has changed significantly and that includes the requirements for that position.

Let me burst your bubble about Luis at Chelsea. Luis is not starting for Sarri because of his physicality, if anything that idea is wrong. He is starting because of his technique on the ball. Sarri built his team around Jorginho, consequently, he needs a defender with good ball technique to move the ball quickly to the middle and to Jorginho. This allows Hazard to be more effective because he is not dropping deep to create, unlike under Conte, rather he is around the final third as Jorginho orchestrates the offense from the middle. These situations are possible because Luis has the ball technique to start the offense from the back. Luiz is not physically imposing, he lacks the power you are speaking about. You seriously crack me up when you use Luiz as an example of a strong defender. It is called "Sarri ball" for a reason bro. Ask your self, where is Zouma and Cahil?

Why is Pep and Manchester City going to continue their domination of the league? Prior to his arrival, they had Mangala, Demichellis, Kompany and Otamendi while Stones was in the fringes, all brute, power and strength but after Pep took over he did away with Mangala, Demichellis, Kompany had to revamp his game if he was to get in and Otamendi is longer a starter. Now you have Laporte and Stones, please tell me they are Pep's starters because they are physically strong! Pep has built his team around passing from the back and that requires technique, abeg tell me how the big strong and tall defenders at City have fared with that requirement? How about Liverpool?

How about VVD of Liverpool? Why is he heralded as the one of the best defenders in the EPL? Do you think it is because of his strength or physicality? Faaaaaar from it, infact when he tried to use his strength last week, it cost Liverpool points because it resulted in a penalty. Prior to him, they had Skrtel, Sahko, Toure, Caulker, Lovren, Matip (tall and strong) and Klopp only got disaster after disaster from your prototypical brute, strong and tall defenders. VVD's intelligence, positional awareness and technique on the ball has brought some balance and calmness to Liverpool's back-line.

Again, while strength and power is important in that role, it is not prioritized over intelligence and technique in the modern game.

Sarri ball and Wenger ball is the point we are making. Both haven't won the league. Wenger won when he had physicality and strength.

Pep has an excellent blend of physicality (Kompany, Fernandinho) and technique (Stones, Laporte), that's why he is boss.

Emery wants what Pep is doing that was the reason behind Socratis.

In England, physicality yet matters more than technique.

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Fkhalifa(m): 8:32am On Oct 11, 2018
Roland17:

Why do you think fans and pundits say we haven't replaced viera? Why do you think fans and pundits say we lack leaders like Adams etc? Are they all stuck in previous decades? There are some last decades football ideas that's still in vogue.

To you, luiz can look like Guendozi, but for me I see an aggressive, strong and a no nonsense in his style of play and that has been the traits common to most defenders I've watched at Chelsea, yes, luiz is good on the ball and that may have helped to orchestrate their good attack, but his defensive play doesn't lack energy and brute same with rudiger.

I so much wanted Cahill from his Bolton days, we were close to signing him, I still haven't forgive Wenger for getting per instead, why? Because Cahill was a strong,tall no nonsense defender and he led chelsea to all trophies in his prime, ATM, Cahill is old and done, zouma was a young boy who had a long season injury and was loaned out to stoke and he was fans favorite then at the bridge.

The city defenders if kompany et all you mentioned won virtually everything and even got to the UEFA semsis.
Pep came in 2017 and changed to what he wants, Pep's style from on set aren't set up for defenders, he himself said he doesn't train tacklers, all his 11 players are attackers with the goal keeper, but defensively they are weak in realty, ability to possess the ball and good attackers scoring loads of goals would cover the cracks.

And except you are backed up with big money spenders, how many teams can set up like that of his?

Lastly, Intelligence and techniques is surely an important quality in today's footy, but lacking in strength, physicality and aggression for me is a no no, except a team is set up like that of Pep's
Atlectico who are European kings are wired to be strong and brute and yet they aren't lacking in quality.
Only if kosc was physical enough, lukaku and Costa won't bully him anyhow.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Fkhalifa(m): 8:43am On Oct 11, 2018
“Today it’s more difficult for the more talented players to succeed,” he told Chelsea TV.

“I don’t think my physical abilities are the best – I’m not the quickest, I’m not the strongest, I’m not the sharpest, so you have to be ahead of the game if a player like me wants to succeed in football.

“To be a football player today... if you are very strong or you run a lot or stuff like that it’s easier. That’s why I try to get even better because football is growing in a way that before I don’t think it was.

“Everyday you see less talent and more power and players running around.”

Fabregas on modern day football. Even the midfielders are feeling the effect.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Nobody: 2:16pm On Oct 11, 2018
Agidi o se o,ask Eric Bailly grin
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Roland17(m): 2:48pm On Oct 11, 2018
Spy360:

Sarri ball and Wenger ball is the point we are making. Both haven't won the league. Wenger won when he had physicality and strength.

Pep has an excellent blend of physicality (Kompany, Fernandinho) and technique (Stones, Laporte), that's why he is boss.

Emery wants what Pep is doing that was the reason behind Socratis.

In England, physicality yet matters more than technique.

While there may be similarities between both, Wenger and Sarri play different styles. One wants to build from the back and the anchor of his plan is Jorginho, a midfielder who has displaced Kante in the deeper role. Wenger is not interested in playing from the back, if the team can start from the back they can only when it is convenient. Wenger's offensive focus was in the final third where he wanted fluidity and movement.

Kompany is no longer a starter for Pep and that is because of the brute and physicality is not Pep's priority. Why do you think Pep was chasing Jorginho? After all City offered him more money. Pep was going to replace Fernandinho with Jorginho but lost the man to Sarri and Chelsea. So you see, Pep already had plans to move on from Fernandinho.

Emery did not buy Sokratis, infact, with the exception of Gundeouzi, he did not pick any of the Leno, Sokratis or Torreira. These guys were already identified by head of recruitment Sven Mislintat and head of football relations Raul sanllehi even before the world cup. Sanllehi and Mislintat were already making transfer decisions for Arsenal even before Wenger left and it continued after Wenger left. These guys spotted and negotiated Auba, Miki and the summer transfers. Torreira's deal was already being negotiated before the start of the world cup,infact, immediately the serie A season ended, same for Sokratis who took forever to complete.

Emery wants to build from the back and that includes having a ball playing goalkeeper irrespective of the situation, including press which is totally different from what Wenger was doing.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Roland17(m): 3:27pm On Oct 11, 2018
Fkhalifa:
Why do you think fans and pundits say we haven't replaced viera? Why do you think fans and pundits say we lack leaders like Adams etc? Are they all stuck in previous decades? There are some last decades football ideas that's still in vogue.

To you, luiz can look like Guendozi, but for me I see an aggressive, strong and a no nonsense in his style of play and that has been the traits common to most defenders I've watched at Chelsea, yes, luiz is good on the ball and that may have helped to orchestrate their good attack, but his defensive play doesn't lack energy and brute same with rudiger.

I so much wanted Cahill from his Bolton days, we were close to signing him, I still haven't forgive Wenger for getting per instead, why? Because Cahill was a strong,tall no nonsense defender and he led chelsea to all trophies in his prime, ATM, Cahill is old and done, zouma was a young boy who had a long season injury and was loaned out to stoke and he was fans favorite then at the bridge.

The city defenders if kompany et all you mentioned won virtually everything and even got to the UEFA semsis.
Pep came in 2017 and changed to what he wants, Pep's style from on set aren't set up for defenders, he himself said he doesn't train tacklers, all his 11 players are attackers with the goal keeper, but defensively they are weak in realty, ability to possess the ball and good attackers scoring loads of goals would cover the cracks.

And except you are backed up with big money spenders, how many teams can set up like that of his?

Lastly, Intelligence and techniques is surely an important quality in today's footy, but lacking in strength, physicality and aggression for me is a no no, except a team is set up like that of Pep's
Atlectico who are European kings are wired to be strong and brute and yet they aren't lacking in quality.
Only if kosc was physical enough, lukaku and Costa won't bully him anyhow.

So being physically imposing like Adams and Viera implies leadership in your books? The Torreira I am watching at Arsenal has the capacity to become the leader of this team and that is a fact. Ask all the Chelsea fans what D. Luis biggest strength is and I can bet you most will not mention his defensive abilities, rather they will focus on his ability on the ball. Luis hit the bench under Conte because he was not physically intense enough for Conte, however, Sarri thinks differently, he wants to use Luis's ball technique.

Kompany, Demichelis, Mangala, Otamendi won the league but that is not why City hired Pep. It was like Pep's stint with Bayern Munich. Do you think Bayern hired Pep to win the Bundesliga and other German titles? Naaa. City want to continue dominating the league and more importantly, win the UCL and that is why they got Pep. This is same with Klopp and Liverpool and that is why teams are gradually transitioning away from brute physical players. Any wonder why coaches like Tony Pulis, H. Redknapp, S. McClaren, C. Hughton, Big Sam and their likes may never get EPL jobs? This explains why mid table EPL teams are going out to get coaches like Espirito (Wolves), M. Silva (Everton), J. Garcia(Watford). I am not even talking about the top 6 sef. Look at teams like Wolverhampton, what is their style of play? Bournemouth? their position on the log buttresses this point. Take a look at Mendy of City, why do you think he is a starter? it definitely has nothing to do with his defensive skills because even though he is built like a line backer, he is not a good defender. Rather, it is his offensive abilities which includes passing from the back (especially short passes) and delivering dangerous crosses to the box.

Goal keepers are regarded as the last line of defense, invariably, they are defenders of some sorts right? Well, in the past, the prioritized requirement for the goal keeping position was length and we had imposing goalie's like Van Der Sar, J. Lehman, J. Jaaskelainen, D. Seaman, D. James, P. Cech, Schimeichel, Schwazer, etc. However, that has changed today because the priority is longer long and imposing, rather, the focus is on technique on the ball. That is why Chelsea can break the record for a smaller framed "Adamasingba", that is why Pep did one better in Ederson even though he has Bravo, Liverpool got Allisson, Arsenal got Leno, United are holding strong to DDG and Tottenham are not moving away from Lloris.

Football has evolved and on a scale of preference ambitious coaches are prioritizing intelligence and technique on the ball over strength and power. In the past, infact, last season, I was hoping we get Takowski or Ben Mee but I discovered it would not work, we were suffering defensively because Wenger did not care about the defense. As long as the ball moved past the middle into the final 3rd, he could care less.

4 Likes

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 8:53pm On Oct 11, 2018
@Roland17
You have correctly told us the patterns these coaches employ. But you haven't said if they succeeded with them.

Apart from Pep who actually used physical players, none of the other coaches you mentioned have.

Intelligence make the game exciting, and gives you 80% ball possession but if winning is more important, then physicality
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Roland17(m): 9:55pm On Oct 11, 2018
Spy360:
@Roland17
You have correctly told us the patterns these coaches employ. But you haven't said if they succeeded with them.

Apart from Pep who actually used physical players, none of the other coaches you mentioned have.

Intelligence make the game exciting, and gives you 80% ball possession but if winning is more important, then physicality

This would depend on your interpretation of success. It would be fair to say Pep has succeeded in the EPL with his style. Over the past 2 seasons, Klopp has made Liverpool strong contenders for the EPL and don't forget they made it to the UCL finals and lost to an experienced Real Madrid side last season.

This season they are touted as City's strongest threat. Chelsea under Sarri look very impressive, even though they need to score more goals and it is buttressed in their position and are definitely going to contend for the EPL or top 4 I should say.

Espirito (Wolverhampton), J. Garcia (Watford) have succeeded beyond imagination because of their focus on intelligence and technique. So yes, these teams are successful in their own right.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 3:40am On Oct 12, 2018
Roland17:

This would depend on your interpretation of success. It would be fair to say Pep has succeeded in the EPL with his style. Over the past 2 seasons, Klopp has made Liverpool strong contenders for the EPL and don't forget they made it to the UCL finals and lost to an experienced Real Madrid side last season.

This season they are touted as City's strongest threat. Chelsea under Sarri look very impressive, even though they need to score more goals and it is buttressed in their position and are definitely going to contend for the EPL or top 4 I should say.

Espirito (Wolverhampton), J. Garcia (Watford) have succeeded beyond imagination because of their focus on intelligence and technique. So yes, these teams are successful in their own right.
Please get my point.
Intelligence plays good football. The Wenger teams stands out. But intelligence alone won't see you through the season; especially in England.

Remember what Watford's captain Feeney said about Arsenal last season? He said they lacked grits, toughness. Kindly take a second look at the Watford and Wolves squad, tell me you don't see physical and brute boys. Watford's front line alone are a bunch of bullies.

If VVD is all intelligence, I promise you Klopp won't pay what he did for him for he will be no better than Koscielny.

With a little dose of physicality, Wenger would have won like two titles within his last ten seasons, the usual slump by February, after a near excellent start would have been avoided.

The secret of Fergie is his ability to blend intelligent play with physicality. Just assess his typical players- Ferdinand, Vidic, Keane, these guys can play intelligently, but what keeps them at the top is their physicality.

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Fkhalifa(m): 8:10am On Oct 12, 2018
Spy360:

Please get my point.
Intelligence plays good football. The Wenger teams stands out. But intelligence alone won't see you through the season; especially in England.

Remember what Watford's captain Feeney said about Arsenal last season? He said they lacked grits, toughness. Kindly take a second look at the Watford and Wolves squad, tell me you don't see physical and brute boys. Watford's front line alone are a bunch of bullies.

If VVD is all intelligence, I promise you Klopp won't pay what he did for him for he will be no better than Koscielny.

With a little dose of physicality, Wenger would have won like two titles within his last ten seasons, the usual slump by February, after a near excellent start would have been avoided.

The secret of Fergie is his ability to blend intelligent play with physicality. Just assess his typical players- Ferdinand, Vidic, Keane, these guys can play intelligently, but what keeps them at the top is their physicality.

In as much as I agree with him about his techniques and intelligence aspect of the game, I'll never come to terms that physicality and toughness isn't much important in today's football, the Watford and wolves team I see is composed of hard men who can run,fight for any duels on the field of play.
wolves held city not because the were on par with city on intelligence level but the fight I saw that day ehn, I don't want us to play them soon.
Being physical doesn't mean lacking totally in intelligence and techniques, Kante,maltuidi,pogba,naigolan, de Rossi,perisic,vetroghen,Alderweid,Davison Sanchez et all are examples of hard men on the ball and they aren't poor in their ball playing.

80% of our present squad doesn't convince me of they have cojones, I've seen average defenders harass and bully off Auba,laca,ozil,bellerin off the ball and it hurts.

Personally, over the years, I see only barca, bayern,city and maybe Liverpool as the teams beating us by outclassing us on the pitch, others including Chelsea, spurs,utd, stoke,Southampton, Watford etc bully us to victory.
They know how to set up against Wenger's sexy girls, you see hard men defending in numbers against us,and rugged men in Costa bullying our soft defenders.

I remembered kolasinac's first game against Chelsea, he was bullying them everywhere, he scored in that game and fans/pundits were saying its high time we started recruiting his kinds.
Ozil wasn't criticized for his intelligence, but for his physical strength.
Rosciky,carzola,Walcott, Gibbs, Eduardo v.persie amongst many orthers were severely bruised under Wenger by the hard men in the league, injuries crippled lots of them and despite the talents they couldn't match the physical strength of the then our rivals.

Not everyone is fan of Peps ball playing bullshit,not every club is blessed with owners to assembly such a fantasy team, we sold our hard boys in coq and Gabriel for ball playing mustafi and xhaka and they have been the most criticized among lots.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Roland17(m): 2:33pm On Oct 12, 2018
@ Spy360 and Fkhalifa

Brothers, you have lost the focus of this argument and my position regarding this topic. The initial argument was that most black (African) defenders rely on strength and power and I said I would not prefer any black defender on my team because of this tendency. This implies that I will prefer a defender with a combination of intelligence, technique and power over a defender who only relies on his power and strength. That was where the example of Bailly surfaced as one who relies on power but lacks the intelligence and technique on the ball.

You guys have digressed into different leagues, different positions, different coaches and gradually the argument is losing taste to me. On a scale of preference I prioritize intelligence and ball technique over brute strength, that does not mean I don't like strength, it means I want us too focus on a defender who may have the combination but if one skill is excellent and the others good, then it should be intelligence and ball technique and sadly, most of our black (African mostly) struggle with that requirement.

Suddenly @Spy is mentioning Ferdinand, Vidic, Keane and that buttresses my opinion that you guys have lost my train of argument. I don't mean to pick on Kolasinac, but there is a reason why he can't displace Monreal in the first team and that is because of positional intelligence. He has the strength and power but his positioning is awful and that is why we are still in search of a successor for that LB position. If we get defenders with a good balance I will definitely appreciate even if he is black. But from my experience, African defenders are mostly brute strength and power.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Fkhalifa(m): 6:38pm On Oct 12, 2018
Roland17:
@ Spy360 and Fkhalifa

Brothers, you have lost the focus of this argument and my position regarding this topic. The initial argument was that most black (African) defenders rely on strength and power and I said I would not prefer any black defender on my team because of this tendency. This implies that I will prefer a defender with a combination of intelligence, technique and power over a defender who only relies on his power and strength. That was where the example of Bailly surfaced as one who relies on power but lacks the intelligence and technique on the ball.

You guys have digressed into different leagues, different positions, different coaches and gradually the argument is losing taste to me. On a scale of preference I prioritize intelligence and ball technique over brute strength, that does not mean I don't like strength, it means I want us too focus on a defender who may have the combination but if one skill is excellent and the others good, then it should be intelligence and ball technique and sadly, most of our black (African mostly) struggle with that requirement.

Suddenly @Spy is mentioning Ferdinand, Vidic, Keane and that buttresses my opinion that you guys have lost my train of argument. I don't mean to pick on Kolasinac, but there is a reason why he can't displace Monreal in the first team and that is because of positional intelligence. He has the strength and power but his positioning is awful and that is why we are still in search of a successor for that LB position. If we get defenders with a good balance I will definitely appreciate even if he is black. But from my experience, African defenders are mostly brute strength and power.
I get the picture now, I think we concluded on the same thing, only that you preferred techniques and intelligence firstly then brute while I'm for be physical, strong and ruthless( as first selling point in a defender's credential) then techniques and brains, either from Africa or Asia I don't care just be a tireless invisible wall.

We wanted both qualities, just that we prefer one to the other.
Yes, kolasinac has been a worry, maybe Wenger softened him, his aggressive side is gone,positioning and all, he was in the Germans league team of the year, most assist from a defender in Europa that year,but seems to have dropped form a lot.

Hopefully Emery brings him back to his best.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 7:34pm On Oct 12, 2018
Roland17:
@ Spy360 and Fkhalifa

Your point is well understood and accepted. I too will choose intelligence over power any day, and most coaches will do same.
I wasn't for the initial argument about African players. My argument was that in a league like EPL, strength and power are major requirements above intelligence to finish top.

I don't like the way it sounds because it doesn't really make technical sense. But the evidences are there.

I pointed to the Wenger teams after 2005 as example. The reason for their failure to win the league was Wenger's insistence on overlooking strength and focusing only on intelligence.
Like you mentioned, the best teams have a correct blend of the two. But, while Pep's team last season tilted more towards intelligence, Jose's title winning Chelsea side was more about power.

It is an interesting discuss because, both set ups can be successful.

Question: In your opinion why was Wenger unable to win the league after 2005?
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Fkhalifa(m): 10:19pm On Oct 12, 2018
Spy360:

Your point is well understood and accepted. I too will choose intelligence over power any day, and most coaches will do same.
I wasn't for the initial argument about African players. My argument was that in a league like EPL, strength and power are major requirements above intelligence to finish top.

I don't like the way it sounds because it doesn't really make technical sense. But the evidences are there.

I pointed to the Wenger teams after 2005 as example. The reason for their failure to win the league was Wenger's insistence on overlooking strength and focusing only on intelligence.
Like you mentioned, the best teams have a correct blend of the two. But, while Pep's team last season tilted more towards intelligence, Jose's title winning Chelsea side was more about power.

It is an interesting discuss because, both set ups can be successful.

Failure to get big name and world class players over the summers..(this could have made fan,hleb,persie,Sanchez,nasri etc stayed).
Lack of investment on physically and mentally strong players( our crop of sexy boys over the years can't play a calebder year,our seasons ended in February).
He isn't a ruthless manager, he stuck with lots of average players and his football philosophy is too honest and nice( we need to get dirty a times( be a Costa,bite, dive,shoot instead of walking the ball in the net.).
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 10:32pm On Oct 12, 2018
Fkhalifa:
Failure to get big name and world class players over the summers..(this could have made fan,hleb,persie,Sanchez,nasri etc stayed).
Lack of investment on physically and mentally strong players( our crop of sexy boys over the years can't play a calebder year,our seasons ended in February).
He isn't a ruthless manager, he stuck with lots of average players and his football philosophy is too honest and nice( we need to get dirty a times( be a Costa,bite, dive,shoot instead of walking the ball in the net.).
Why did the Wenger teams usually faze out around Feb, usually after topping the tables in Dec?

Lack of stamina.
Lack of depth.
Lack of leaders to drive play and win games even when paying bad.
Lack of power players- as stated above. We hold too much possession and still lose. With power players, you muscle your way through and get less easily dispossessed.
Wenger's stubbornness sticking to attack only philosophy. Sometimes, you just need to defend and get a point.

The difference between Pep and Wenger is that, Pep goes for quality no matter the cost, Wenger wants to do Pep thing with cheap articles.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Roland17(m): 5:47pm On Oct 13, 2018
Congratulations to our legend, T. Henry on his appointment as head coach of Monaco. Monaco is in a very difficult situation in the league (ranked 18th) and I hope Henry is able to guide them to a respectable position on the log. Jardim was a good coach, I think they sold too many of their players over the last 3 seasons and it is haunting the team now.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Roland17(m): 5:56pm On Oct 13, 2018
Spy360:

My brother, I can type over 5,000 words to detail why we failed to win the league, however, I will summarize it by itemizing

New Stadium

An indifferent board

Budget: prioritizing profit over value and success on the pitch

Transfer Policy

Wenger's stubbornness/ rigidity

Fanbase
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 6:00pm On Oct 13, 2018
Roland17:

My brother, I can type over 5,000 words to detail why we failed to win the league, however, I will summarize it by itemizing

New Stadium

An indifferent board

Budget: prioritizing profit over value and success on the pitch

Transfer Policy

Wenger's stubbornness/ rigidity

Fanbase

Explain fanbase please
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by daveP(m): 7:50pm On Oct 13, 2018
Iwobi is coming back to displace Ramsey. It's that simple. Based on what he played for the SE today..... Mikel will not be missed one bit.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by madrid5: 7:57pm On Oct 13, 2018
i really dont like arsenal per se but i must admit the level of football discussion here is very good,una do well

2 Likes

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by kodded(m): 8:33pm On Oct 13, 2018
would love to see depay in an arsenal shirt in January cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Hardetayour: 8:48pm On Oct 13, 2018
kodded:
who is he coming to pay? Make him dey flex for Ligue 1
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by kodded(m): 9:04pm On Oct 13, 2018
Hardetayour:
who is he coming to pay? Make him dey flex for Ligue 1

talking as if arsenal have even one natural winger undecided ,

the young lad is talented and is underated which means he will be cheap to purchase

beside who do you suggest we go for in January ?
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by folake4u(f): 10:27pm On Oct 13, 2018
daveP:
Iwobi is coming back to displace Ramsey. It's that simple. Based on what he played for the SE today..... Mikel will not be missed one bit.

Replied your mail

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by kodded(m): 10:38pm On Oct 13, 2018
so Germany lost again, hope they will not blame özil again ?
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Hardetayour: 11:11pm On Oct 13, 2018
kodded:

talking as if arsenal have even one natural winger undecided ,

the young lad is talented and is underated which means he will be cheap to purchase

beside who do you suggest we go for in January ?
Someone that didn't cut it in Man Utd. We need better options, not Depay.

I don't know of any winger that's on the market other than that stupid Malcom that took his ass to Barca sitting on the bench
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by kodded(m): 11:19pm On Oct 13, 2018
Hardetayour:
Someone that didn't cut it in Man Utd. We need better options, not Depay.

I don't know of any winger that's on the market other than that stupid Malcom that took his ass to Barca sitting on the bench
so by your logic Sanchez is a flop ?

and also sallah and debruyne are flops in their respected teams because they didn't shine in their previous clubs in england

....right now depay is one of the best players in ligue 1 undecided
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 14, 2018
kodded:
i prefer Martial
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by eph12(m): 10:23am On Oct 14, 2018
kokaneprodigy:
i prefer Martial
Say that again angry

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Nobody: 10:25am On Oct 14, 2018
I want Martial
eph12:

Say that again angry
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Fkhalifa(m): 10:26am On Oct 14, 2018
I'm a silent crusher on depay to, that guy has what it takes to shine on the world stage, he seems to be more energetic, hardworking and purposeful this days.

Forget his utd woes,utd and English media wanted to see a cr7 in him,he wasn't utilized well and hosts of many other problems

He was v.good at PSV,poor at utd, now back to form at Lyon and the dutch team.

He's gon be a good winger.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1293) (1294) (1295) (1296) (1297) (1298) (1299) ... (3554) (Reply)

Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.