Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,415 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (634) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 (2298833 Views)

R35L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ14ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld / Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) / Chelsea Fans Thread : Winners of the FA Cup And League Winners 09/10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (631) (632) (633) (634) (635) (636) (637) ... (3477) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Eruditor: 6:13pm On Nov 09, 2015
Alexis was the problem all game and even including against Bayern. He holds on to the ball a tad longer than is needed and loses it sometimes in dicy situations. He can be selfish at times too.

The irony is, when AFC play Giroud I expect the crosses to come from the flanks more, and when they play with Walcott I expect over the top passes and through balls. But Arsenal did nothing of the sort until the tail end of the Tottenham game. It's rather simplistic but it will do alot if the 'Aristocrat' takes note of this. It adds to why the attack looked so flat even in transition. I remember seeing a sequence of side passes at the flanks between Alexis and Coq sometime within the 20min mark. It was appalling.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by slap1(m): 7:23am On Nov 10, 2015
Please help a fellow gunner win a prize by voting for him via this link. Thanks.

http://prize.etisalat.com.ng/breaking-loose/
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 10, 2015
Roland17:
Ii

Every team has an ideology, I mean systemic ideology under any manager and the formation of the team and style of play buttresses the ideology of any manager, Wenger's ideology on the field of play is renowned as "beautiful" laced in possession, intricate passing, building attacks from the back into the final third and seeking that perfect opportunity to strike with efficiency, Wenger is not a defensive oriented coach in modern times thus your rants about defense in the middle of the park is questionable.

The sudden rave about Ramsey in the deeper CM position is quite despicable considering we have witnessed Ramsey at the CM position previously? Not one, not even five times and the results are evident, do you think Wenger is stupid or has dementia? kid has no business playing from the deep and the coaches know that.

Is Ramsey as disciplined as Santi in that position?
Does Ramsey posses a better passing ability than Santi in that position?
Who has a better ball retention ability between both during possession?
Who provides calmness between both in that position?
Who has the ability on the ball to generate offense from deep between both?

According to you we need only one player that dictates the play and that is where I question your knowledge of Arsenal and in particular Wenger's ideology as a manager with Arsenal considering he is the longest serving manager in the league, Wenger needs every player to be styled offensively and that includes his defense thus Ozil alone can't be his source of offense, every part of the pitch is meant to inspire offense in his style that is why Gibbs can play in front of Monreal and score a goal, that is why Song previously with Arsenal metamorphosed into a CM during his final moments with Arsenal forgoing his primary defensive role.

Did we not watch Ramsey in the same position where he was bullied severally and found out of position and resorted to tackles that even endangered his health on the pitch?

I dare you to name one player except for Cech who was not dominated in the first half of the game against Tottenham? I dare you please..

I am not arguing Santi is built for that position..noo.. Please don't construe me, it's a similar situation with Arteta when we played him deeper for the longest spell and scapegoats the poor guy each time we lost like he was built or trained to be a defensive midfielder but he provided the best option and that is what Santi does better than Ramsey who you are clamouring for.

And we conceded and lost how many of those games? and he missed how many chances? Do you know how many scoring opportunities this same Ramsey has missed,I hope you are not by any chance insinuating we are not creating chances in the final third because that would be utterly ridiculous? Or the problem is we are not efficient in front of goal?

The temptation to write more is overwhelming as you are sounding very ungrateful and seem too obsessed with one player and his peculiar skill and not the balance and value of the entire team and even discarding the obvious pitfalls of the same player..

u have said evrytin. There is nothin more 2 add.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 10:34am On Nov 11, 2015
Dinamo Zagreb players have been implicated for the use of performance enhancing drugs in their 2-1 win over Arsenal.

No wonder!

Wenger also suspects several occasions when teams may have been involved in doping when they lined up against his teams.

With all these doping corruption scandals everywhere one wonders whether Chelsea players were 'clean' in their title run last season, same with Man Utd under Sir Alex. #justthinkingo
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 11, 2015
*Sigh*

Do some people even proofread wat they type b4 they click submit??
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Mourinholic(m): 12:26pm On Nov 11, 2015
AdeLaNa1:
*Sigh*

Do some people even proofread wat they type b4 they click submit??

No matter the number of times a mad man see a gutter,it will still look like heaven .. .
If you don't have sense,reviewing is a waste
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 1:56pm On Nov 11, 2015
When a dog has an opportunity to stay in the same house with his master, he begins to see others as animals.

2 Likes

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 4:42pm On Nov 11, 2015
@Adelana1
Ade my man!
#TrollHard
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by sod09(m): 6:06pm On Nov 11, 2015
Mourinholic:

No matter the number of times a mad man see a gutter,it will still look like heaven .. .
If you don't have sense,reviewing is a waste
#epic
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by IZUKWU(m): 7:31pm On Nov 11, 2015
ozil on his way to not just being an arsenal legend but a premier league legend.

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by debosky(m): 8:04pm On Nov 11, 2015
Keky:
he has been horrible defensively and average offensively for a year.

I have to respectfully agree with Roland17 that this is akin 'akara analysis'. cheesy

He's struggled against more physical midfields at times no doubt, but that's no fault of his.

Kudos to Wenger for making a half-time change - usually things would have to get much worse before changes happen.

A draw against Spurs is decent result considering fatigue and lack of rotation due to injuries. Personally I'd have taken Alexis off instead of Campbell who seemed to provide more of a threat, but it was a decent result in the end.

What might have been with a more clinical striker than Giroud? I guess we could say the same thing if Spurs had a more lethal striker than Kane.

Lots of rest and recharge required - hopefully with Arteta fit we can rotate Santi a bit to use him as a more offensive option from the bench while the other injuries recover. Without a doubt we should be going for a striker of some sort in January, even if it's only a loan.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Keky(m): 8:16pm On Nov 11, 2015
debosky:

I have to respectfully agree with Roland17 that this is akin 'akara analysis'. cheesy

He's struggled against more physical midfields at times no doubt, but that's no fault of his.

Kudos to Wenger for making a half-time change - usually things would have to get much worse before changes happen.

A draw against Spurs is decent result considering fatigue and lack of rotation due to injuries. Personally I'd have taken Alexis off instead of Campbell who seemed to provide more of a threat, but it was a decent result in the end.

What might have been with a more clinical striker than Giroud? I guess we could say the same thing if Spurs had a more lethal striker than Kane.

Lots of rest and recharge required - hopefully with Arteta fit we can rotate Santi a bit to use him as a more offensive option from the bench while the other injuries recover. Without a doubt we should be going for a striker of some sort in January, even if it's only a loan.
You and I know we won't.

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 11, 2015
Keky:
You and I know we won't.
No worries. Kim Kallstrom got yo back
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 11, 2015
Spy360:
@Adelana1

Ade my man!

#TrollHard

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:50am On Nov 12, 2015
Perhaps some actual evidence in the Giroud debate…

It has become fashionable for Giroud detractors to dismiss his impressive goals/min ratio by explaining it away as a function of playing for a team that creates lots of chances. See Winty (‘For all the talk of minutes-per-goal ratios’), Squirrel (‘playing in front of Ozil probably has something to do with this’), and Olly Cole (‘the fact he gets any goals at all is more down to Ozil and his other teammates relentlessly creating chances for him’). It’s a reasonable enough point. The kind that makes you think that maybe thoughtful appreciation of the nuances of statistical analysis isn’t beyond your favorite pundit/mailboxer.

And then you remember what they’re leading up to: the inevitable conclusion that Giroud is really bad at finishing his chances. For this, they’ll rely either on no evidence at all, a tiny sample set (usually shots taken during the last game, inevitably one the guy’s team just lost), or, worst of all, an intentionally misleading statistic (such as Ms. Winterburn’s unforgivably deceptive use of nominal chance-wasting stats instead of rate-based ones; of course the number of chances Giroud has missed should be high, after all, as she has been all-too-keen to point-out, he has Ozil presenting him with loads of chances every game. Wanna know who missed the most chances in the League last year, in nominal terms? The same guy who took the most shots, Sergio Aguero.).

I can make this generalisation about evidence because I know that when you look at a large enough sample, Giroud’s finishing reveals itself to be right in the mix with the rest of the best strikers in the League:

Among the top 15 goal-scorers in the League last year, his non-penalty conversion rate was bested only by Costa and Cisse, both of whom had careers years. It was 20%. For some perspective, that’s considerably better than Aguero (14%), Kane (17%), Bony (12%), Sanchez (13%), and Benteke (15%). And it was WAY better than the league average of 10%.

(In other words, when Squirrel writes that Giroud ‘needs about five decent chances per game in order to score one goal,’ he’s exactly right. It’s just that he draws exactly the wrong conclusion from that observation.)

We should note that last year was a better-than-average year for Giroud in this regard. Looking at the five seasons leading up this one, I have his average conversion rate at about 14%. That’s not off-the-charts, but it’s right in the mix of the ‘top BPL goal-scorers’ pack.

And remember that because strikers on good teams tend to take only about 100 non-penalty shots per League season, an upgrade from Giroud’s lifetime conversion average to someone of ‘deadliest-finisher-in-the-League’ levels would improve Arsenal by maybe 3-5 goals over the entire year, all else being equal.

Outside of signing a Lewandowski-level player, the evidence plainly shows that Giroud’s finishing is not holding Arsenal back much, if at all. Anyone who says otherwise is the kind of person beloved both by their editors and their fantasy football opponents – really good at hyperbolic rabble-rousing, really bad at prediction and analysis.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by IZUKWU(m): 6:38pm On Nov 12, 2015
4llerbuntu:
english pls
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by debosky(m): 9:15pm On Nov 12, 2015
^^ Giroud is a very good striker who is delivering as expected. Aside from buying a Lewandowski-level striker y'all should be happy with Giroud's delivery and ask the fellow strikers (Walcott and Welbeck) when they return for similar output.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by IZUKWU(m): 9:45pm On Nov 12, 2015
debosky:
^^ Giroud is a very good striker who is delivering as expected. Aside from buying a Lewandowski-level striker y'all should be happy with Giroud's delivery and ask the fellow strikers (Walcott and Welbeck) when they return for similar output.
giroud is the best among the trio
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 1:16am On Nov 13, 2015
debosky:
One ewu always asks if Giroud is the type of striker that can win you a league, I tell him 'go ask your babalawo'.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 1:25am On Nov 13, 2015
IZUKWU:
giroud is the best among the trio
If not that both have also played their luck in Arsenal, people would have believed Giroud was the worst. Infact people thought Walcott was better until they saw Giroud coming in to replace him and yet doing the scoring.

Giroud may have very low skill set, but he is one of the best I have seen recently in terms of positioning. That ability is more important than the former for a traditional striker.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by IZUKWU(m): 6:21am On Nov 13, 2015
Spy360:
If not that both have also played their luck in Arsenal, people would have believed Giroud was the worst. Infact people thought Walcott was better until they saw Giroud coming in to replace him and yet doing the scoring.

Giroud may have very low skill set, but he is one of the best I have seen recently in terms of positioning. That ability is more important than the former for a traditional striker.
each has had opportunity to lay claim to that position even podolski, but giroud has shown that he is better than the lot.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by pickabeau1: 6:32am On Nov 13, 2015
Spy360:

No one can say Walcott is better than giroud

He is not even a striker
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Fkhalifa(m): 8:08am On Nov 13, 2015
let Giroud drop form and starts his goal drought, the fans will switch back to walcoot if he start scoring again..
my input is that, they are both good and useful on their day
walcoot would have been effiecient against bayern and spurs, not saying he would have scored or won the game NO,but his pace can trouble defence thereby giving assist to wingers and mieldfilders..
whereas Giroud is mostly better coming off the bench to physically tire defence out, win aieral duels and calm our attack..
I believe if all the strickers including welbeck put im their best week in week out, they ill achieve something big..football no be by name again.

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 9:43am On Nov 13, 2015
pickabeau1:

No one can say Walcott is better than giroud

He is not even a striker
So what position has he been playing for Arsenal since the season started?

Inasmuch as we don't like Giroud lets at least speak the facts.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by pickabeau1: 11:46am On Nov 13, 2015
Spy360:
So what position has he been playing for Arsenal since the season started?

Inasmuch as we don't like Giroud lets at least speak the facts.

Ok
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 5:37pm On Nov 13, 2015
Which Super Eagles player do you think can fit in at Arsenal? (Apart from Iwobi offcourse).
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by hariorh: 5:50pm On Nov 13, 2015
Spy360:
Which Super Eagles player do you think can fit in at Arsenal? (Apart from Iwobi offcourse).

Ighalo most likely...

Plays like Giroud
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 7:18am On Nov 14, 2015
hariorh:

Ighalo most likely...
Plays like Giroud
Yes I also like Musa, plays like Walcott.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by pickabeau1: 8:57am On Nov 14, 2015
Fkhalifa:
let Giroud drop form and starts his goal drought, the fans will switch back to walcoot if he start scoring again..
my input is that, they are both good and useful on their day
walcoot would have been effiecient against bayern and spurs, not saying he would have scored or won the game NO,but his pace can trouble defence thereby giving assist to wingers and mieldfilders..
whereas Giroud is mostly better coming off the bench to physically tire defence out, win aieral duels and calm our attack..
I believe if all the strickers including welbeck put im their best week in week out, they ill achieve something big..football no be by name again.
Seems you guys suffer from memory loss
Walcott played in the first leg against Bayern

What did he achieve

He player in the 3-1 home loss two years ago in the second round

What did he achieve
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Fkhalifa(m): 9:58am On Nov 14, 2015
pickabeau1:

Seems you guys suffer from memory loss
Walcott played in the first leg against Bayern

What did he achieve

He player in the 3-1 home loss two years ago in the second round

What did he achieve
This post of yours is very disrespicting, why adress me with insult?have we any issuw before? I wasnt saying he would have scored or something but we countered them,moved into spaces and created scoring chances, so the 3-1 loss is solely walcoot's fault? smh

1 Like

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by pickabeau1: 10:05am On Nov 14, 2015
Fkhalifa:
This post of yours is very disrespicting, why adress me with insult?have we any issuw before? I wasnt saying he would have scored or something but we countered them,moved into spaces and created scoring chances, so the 3-1 loss is solely walcoot's fault? smh

Apologies....did not mean it that way

Walcott has had his chances in the center against top opposition and flopped countless times
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by Spy360(m): 2:49pm On Nov 14, 2015
pickabeau1:

Apologies....did not mean it that way

Walcott has had his chances in the center against top opposition and flopped countless times

If I should be a bad advocate for Walcott I would say he is still learning the striker role. Obviously there is a vast improvement compared to last season. He isn't scoring, but his pace will always be a threat to opposition. It is therefore left for other team mates to take advantage of.

Personally, I wonder what a Giroud-Walcott partnership would be like. Though that would mean a change of playing pattern, but I'll like to see it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (631) (632) (633) (634) (635) (636) (637) ... (3477) (Reply)

Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.