Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,152 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Does Nigerian Law Permit Dual-citizenship? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Nigerian Law Permit Dual-citizenship? (2394 Views)

VP Osinbajo At The Commssioning Of Ademola Hall At Nigerian Law School Lagos / The Issue Of Dual Citizenship. / How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Nigerian Law Permit Dual-citizenship? by pasthedutc: 1:52pm On Nov 29, 2011
I shall approach the problem of cultural location by explaining the context of Afro-German history, the concept and conflicts of identity, and the possible resolution of those conflicts in a definition of Afro-German identity. Grounded in the Afrocentric theory my analysis will relate the historical and cultural location information to the idea of agency, the central issue in any movement toward social and cultural sanity. To say that German history has been contested by race and the problems of race is to say the known; to argue, however, that the Afro-Germans of all mixed race people have been especially brutalized by the official leitmotif of the German society is to indict the politics of race.
A special issue of the Journal of Black Studies entitled "The Image of Africa in German Society," edited by Carol Aisha Blackshire-Belay and a book, Blacks and German Culture, edited by Reinhold Grimm and Jost Herman demonstrate the new interest in Afro-Germans. Carolyn Hodges writes in "The Private/Plural Selves of Afro-German Women and the Search for A Public Voice" in the special issue of the Journal of Black Studies that "the recurring expression of a loss of identity and a lack of community in which to identify is rooted in the precarious, and indeed, precarious situations, in which they find themselves.

My questions are: Can people of visible mixed African and European ancestry have place in Nigerian politics? Does Nigerian law permit dual-citizenship?
Re: Does Nigerian Law Permit Dual-citizenship? by BootyOnMe: 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2011
My questions are: Can people of visible mixed African and European ancestry have place in Nigerian politics?

No. Have you ever seen a half or quarter caste in ANY Nigerian political horizon?
Ask Ben Bruce or Cecilia Ibru. cheesy

Does Nigerian law permit dual-citizenship?

Yes. I just used both my American and Nigerian passports to visit and exit Nigeria. cool

But you cannot use a dual citizenship status to run for any political office in Nigeria.
Unless your wanno be a local chief like the Asagba or Asaba or The Deji of Akure or the Oba of Benin where your economic clout may buy you any seat.
These men once resided out of Nigeria after residing in foreign countries for years. I am not sure of their dual citizenship status though.
Re: Does Nigerian Law Permit Dual-citizenship? by archive(f): 2:55pm On Nov 29, 2011
BootyOnMe:

No. Have you ever seen a half or quarter caste in ANY Nigerian political horizon?

Yes. I just used both my American and Nigerian passports to visit and exit Nigeria. cool

But you cannot use a dual citizenship status to run for any political office in Nigeria.
Unless your wanno be a local chief like the Asagba or Asaba or The Deji of Akure or the Oba of Benin where your economic clout may buy you any seat.
These men once resided out of Nigeria after residing in foreign countries for years. I am not sure of their dual citizenship status though.

Oh I didn't know that. I think that's quite close-minded!
Re: Does Nigerian Law Permit Dual-citizenship? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 29, 2011
BootyOnMe:

Madam,

I would wager a bet some of our northern legislators are (Nigerian + Arab) grin

The following example should also count for something ---

Demola Seriki (mother is biracial)
[img]https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqCKibyMEzLKZVLzl97vkqTmNbaYrJ4BjCbK1T4n9remldjqXYMg[/img]
Hon. Minister of State for Interior of the Federal Republic of Nigeria: 2009 to March 2010
Hon. Minister of State for Defence of the Federal Republic of Nigeria: 2008 to 2009
Hon. Supervising Minister for Mines and Steel Development: October 2008 to December 2008
Hon. Minister of State for Agriculture and Water Resources of the Federal Republic of Nigeria: 2007 to 2008
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ademola_Rasaq_Seriki
Re: Does Nigerian Law Permit Dual-citizenship? by BootyOnMe: 3:06pm On Nov 29, 2011
archive:

Oh I didn't know that. I think that's quite close-minded!

Nigerians are close-minded.
It is to be expected.
No amount of exposure. . . can bring forth the right amount of enlightenment. kiss

eGuerrilla:

Madam,

I would wager a bet some of our northern legislators are (Nigerian + Arab) grin

The following example should also count for something ---

Demola Seriki (mother is biracial)
[img]https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqCKibyMEzLKZVLzl97vkqTmNbaYrJ4BjCbK1T4n9remldjqXYMg[/img]
Hon. Minister of State for Interior of the Federal Republic of Nigeria: 2009 to March 2010
Hon. Minister of State for Defence of the Federal Republic of Nigeria: 2008 to 2009
Hon. Supervising Minister for Mines and Steel Development: October 2008 to December 2008
Hon. Minister of State for Agriculture and Water Resources of the Federal Republic of Nigeria: 2007 to 2008
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ademola_Rasaq_Seriki

Thank God for Northern Nigeria! grin
Most Nigerian citizens in the Northern parts of Nigeria are decendants of ARABS sir!
Nothing bi-racial about them. Northerners share an Arabian ancestry spanning generations.
The reason they have the distinct facial features similar to ARABS!
Look at Sanudi Lamido for example? wink

*your case is dimissed based on supefluous arguments sir*
Thank you! kiss

(1) (Reply)

Is Anything More Truer Than This? / Ogbunike Cave Gets $250m World Class Theme Park And Resort From APFD(Pics/Video) / Breaking News:Federal Government Lifts Embargo On Employment Of Resident Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.