Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. (10840 Views)

My Parents Divorce Left My Life In Shambles / The Ordeal Of Staying With Your Uncle's Or Brother's Wife / Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Tatian(f): 3:05pm On Dec 01, 2011
Am 26 female, not done with studies though but in my finals and a part time student at such. I don't enjoy staying wit my parents any more, we live cat n dog most of the time But my mum would not let me . Least I forget , am the only child . How do I get out? I really like the way things are going.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Dyt(f): 3:07pm On Dec 01, 2011
well get a female frnd, let dem trust er so much den u can sneak out usin er as an excuse
plus i feel ur parents lyk my mum ll say, sha give me a grandchild
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by obowunmi(m): 3:12pm On Dec 01, 2011
26, finish your school and get married. You are 4 years from 30 so ure no longer a young chap.

1 Like

Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Fhemmmy: 3:25pm On Dec 01, 2011
Give enough information, you live cat and dog and i am sure there is a reason for that . . . . give us the reason and we will be able to advice.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Xavier1976(m): 4:08pm On Dec 01, 2011
It is children that have free food and housing that complains the most, if your first problem is where to lay your head in a day or where the next meal is coming from then you wont have time to worry about your parents hassle. My dear thank God for your life and endure whatever you going through, everything has time and season!! if you allow impatience to push you into arrangee marriage!!! i am sorry for you!

1 Like

Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by no1madman(m): 4:10pm On Dec 01, 2011
Killlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Dyt(f): 4:23pm On Dec 01, 2011
shakin head lyk in india movie
^^ u nt far frm ur name
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 01, 2011
It is children that have free food and housing that complains the most, if your first problem is where to lay your head in a day or where the next meal is coming from then you wont have time to worry about your parents hassle. My dear thank God for your life and endure whatever you going through, everything has time and season!! if you allow impatience to push you into arrangee marriage!!! i am sorry for you!

Funny but true.

1 Like

Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by 2shuz: 8:11pm On Dec 01, 2011
At that age most kids would live as cat and dog wit their parents if not managed. learn to keep your mouth shut when they talk [b][/b]grin :-Xthat is the magic wand. if you know the things they dont like that you do, dont do it. Kids always want to prove to parents that they are grown ups and always tend to do what they know their parents dont like, even though they dont like it themselves undecided

You want to move out? Hope you want to continue paying your school fess and your upkeep when you do so? My dear, brace up and be an adult that you really want to be. When your mum starts to talk>>>which she will always do, down to the way you dress cry, its really frustrating, DO NOT TALK BACK WITH SNIDE COMMENTS lipsrsealed it worsen the situation. There is nothing wrong with your parents, learn to live with them. In 9ja, 18years na gutter talk

A child never grows up in their parents eyes undecided. Also learn to talk things out with them instead of shout it out. When momsie or popsie is in a light mood, talk about something that happened, even if they shout and try to prove/ assert their authority, dont vex o! kiss smileycontinue, afte a while they will chill. but if you continue proving your point by harsh actions or words, you will remain miserable. After a while you will buy them over and the next thing they will start saying is, you have started o! if i talk now angry, you go just smile and say, its ok and bla bla bla to ease the tension

I am telling you from 1st hand experience, try it grin

2 Likes

Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by lepasharon(f): 8:21pm On Dec 01, 2011
why dont u move on campus??
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Odunnu: 8:52pm On Dec 01, 2011
Finals? Thats a good time to leave if you really want to. Start by telling them your workload is getting too tedious and you need a conducive environment preferably in the school. If thats done, then move from there when you are done.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by 2mch(m): 8:57pm On Dec 01, 2011
There cannot be two captains in a ship. Endure, your time of liberation is at hand. Just avoid your mama as much as possible and always say "Mummy i have a test, or quiz or exam.", when she starts with you. grin cheesy
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by 2shuz: 9:19pm On Dec 01, 2011
2mch:

There cannot be two captains in a ship. Endure, your time of liberation is at hand. Just avoid your mama as much as possible and always say "Mummy i have a test, or quiz or exam.", when she starts with you. grin cheesy

i swear, have u met my mum before. thats her slang, there cannot be two captains in a ship, rodflmao! stop advising her to run, it wont solve anything. she go come back come meet am 4 house
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by mimi234: 2:33am On Dec 02, 2011
wow 26 and still at your parents. shocked

I don't know is that the norm? My only advice is to buckle down pass your exam get a job and move out. Because although you will be benefitting from free food shelter blah blah etc etc, you haven't experience independence which I feel is very important in your personal development.

Such as managing your finances, general up keep of your accommodation, providing food for yourself etc

I know the last point people may laugh but back at uni esp with all the work load finding time to cook was a struggle mehnnn thank God for quick food like pasta grin loool.

I know how you feel tho i finished uni and moved back home and i'm just frustrated I can't go anywhere without my mum knowing its really annoying, she keeps a tab on the time i come home lipsrsealed i feel like a prisoner sometimes, I'll just advice you to make sure u do very well and get a good job then you can do whatever you like, (or you can just move out but i pressume that doesn't go down well in 9ja undecided )

1 Like

Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Nobody: 10:47am On Dec 02, 2011
d economic situation in 9ja will nt favor u if u move out without gettin a job unless ofcourse u want to use one of them 'bridge side', lol
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 02, 2011
2shuz:

At that age most kids would live as cat and dog wit their parents if not managed. learn to keep your mouth shut when they talk [b][/b]grin  :-Xthat is the magic wand. if you know the things they dont like that you do, dont do it. Kids always want  to prove to parents that they are grown ups and always tend to do what they know their parents dont like, even though they dont like it themselves undecided

You want to move out? Hope you want to continue paying your school fess and your upkeep when you do so? My dear, brace up and be an adult that you really want to be. When your mum starts to talk>>>which she will always do, down to the way you dress cry, its really frustrating, DO NOT TALK BACK WITH SNIDE COMMENTS lipsrsealed it worsen the situation. There is nothing wrong with your parents, learn to live with them. In 9ja, 18years na gutter talk

A child never grows up in their parents eyes undecided. Also learn to talk things out with them instead of shout it out. When momsie or popsie is in a light mood, talk about something that happened, even if they shout and try to prove/ assert their authority, dont vex o!  kiss smileycontinue, afte a while they will chill. but if you continue proving your point by harsh actions or words, you will remain miserable. After a while you will buy them over and the next thing they will start saying is, you have started o! if i talk now angry, you go just smile and say, its ok and bla bla bla to ease the tension

I am telling you from 1st hand experience, try it grin  

hehehe! I am loving this 2shuz chick. smiley Advice so original and true. Poster, take your time to read through her post and I guess your problem would be half-way solved. The rest is up to you to either ignore or heed to it. Never take rash decisions in a hasty moment as no condition/ situation in life is permanent. In no time, you would be out of your  parents' house and even be the one longing to see them! Dont forget that there are a lot of people out there wishing they had what you want to give away now.  Patience is a virtue hun, imbibe it. Take care. smiley

1 Like

Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Cupidkc(m): 10:57am On Dec 02, 2011
The question is 'why do you guys live like act cat and dogs'?
There must a cause for that,anyway just avoid any confrontations.
Do you live at home or in campus?
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by martyns303(m): 10:58am On Dec 02, 2011
everything in its time and season, just chill, when u will move out, it will be easy. don't rush things. i remember when i was 23, my parents wanted to move to a new accomodation, i told them i am not going with them and that i'll take things on my own from here. trust me, in less than 2 months i couldnt cope. so i was forced to move in with them again. now am 24 and u will be surprised on how far i've gone. just a year ago things seems dark. my advice is just chill and let things work out. everything in its time.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 11:00am On Dec 02, 2011
Yes oooh. There's no need to rush things
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by ibrobell(m): 11:23am On Dec 02, 2011
Believe me its your parent and only your parents that can insult you and get away with it, just endure, or if you move out and stay with your friend and she insults you or even her boyfriend insults you what will you do?
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Tosinville(m): 11:33am On Dec 02, 2011
Nigeria situation is not helping matters at all, even 30yrs old guy will be scared to become a man, still single without wife & kids cos his income alone isn't even enough for him sad.

OP, take things easy, its just a matter of time, finish first then secure a job & move out straight up cos you aint the only one facing that in 9ja.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by no1madman(m): 11:40am On Dec 02, 2011
Dyt:

shakin head lyk in india movie
^^ u nt far frm your name
Don't shake ur head. . . . .shake ur nyansh and tits.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by 2shuz: 11:59am On Dec 02, 2011
naijasexy:

hehehe! I am loving this 2shuz chick. smiley Advice so original and true. Poster, take your time to read through her post and I guess your problem would be half-way solved. The rest is up to you to either ignore or heed to it. Never take rash decisions in a hasty moment as no condition/ situation in life is permanent. In no time, you would be out of your  parents' house and even be the one longing to see them! Dont forget that there are a lot of people out there wishing they had what you want to give away now.  Patience is a virtue hun, imbibe it. Take care. smiley

hehehehehe!!! im blushing. everybody is failing to address the reason 4 d cat & dog relationship. but wetin i talk na true. I lived wit my parents till I got married. Except if the ppl advising her are not Nigerians or not living in Nigeria. This is small o! Marriage is worse that this o! Ur huz go make u vex finish & u will still service him @ night, lol, as Cja sexy said, u will b longing to see them later in future o! U won't bliv how much I spend wen so as to visit my parents @ least 3x a year as we don't liv in the same state. Kai!!!! Last time I visited I was completely useless, @ d blink of an eye, food is on tthe table, my kids are all clean and playing, clothes washed, kai!!! I was THE QUEEN. See hw me & my sisters compete to visit dem.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by andyanders: 12:44pm On Dec 02, 2011
I think you must have over stayed yourself at the age of 26. For you to live like cat and dog with your parents goes to show that there is that character of yours that must have been the course of the problem with them. We Africans tend to tolerate their children more than their foreign counterpart, no mater their age. Unless you say your mother and father were brought up in the United States or their likes whereby at the age of eighteen, you should be talking of trying to be independent.

At 26, age is not by your side. You must at this point in your live be with a man and planning towards settling down no mater your education. If your parents has seen you with serious relationship, they will still not be a problem to you, rather to encourage you to stand and by advising you.

Cat and dog issue with your parents at that age, goes to show that you have a funny character which you never stated. Expose your other side of life because as an African, we tolerate and your parents can tolerate you. I wait for you to come up so that you can get a positive response.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by DeepSoul(f): 1:06pm On Dec 02, 2011
I lived alone when I was 21 (NYSC). Went back home and "ran away" at 23. The only way I could achieve that was getting a job in a different town from where my parents stay.

Staying alone is NOT easy, my opinion. Especially if you are legit! The bills never stop coming in - food, NEPA card, fuel, security bills, water bills etc etc. It has made me appreciate all my parents did for me till I was 21. Oh, I forgot to mention house rent. . . my dear, you are eating free food and not paying rent and you are tired. I laugh in swahili!

Despite the hardship though, I'd rather not stay with my parents, biko. It makes me fiercely independent, financially and otherwise.

@OP: Major problem is, you are still in school. You're gonna wanna wait till you're done and can fend for yourself before thinking of moving out. It's a HARSH world out here! Or if you have any available suitors, you can like to choose one right now grin

P.S: Why are you still in school at 26? You haff tay small oh. . .
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by rhamzus(m): 1:40pm On Dec 02, 2011
Tatian:

Am 26 female, not done with studies though but in my finals and a part time student at such. I don't enjoy staying wit my parents any more, we live cat n dog most of the time But my mum would not let me . Least I forget , am the only child . How do I get out? I really like the way things are going.

you just ranting about leaving your parents without stating the reason. Weigh your options and make d choice. Could it b as a result of moving in with a guy, independence, exposure etc. weigh the +tive n -tive b4 making the conclusion.
i dont see anytin wrong with still livin with your parents, except there is more to it.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by pynkspyce: 1:52pm On Dec 02, 2011
you are still in school and obviously still thinking like a child. Realistically @ 26 with no job, you have nowhere to go. The truth is u are at the mercy of ur parents, because they probably still pay ur schoolfees. dedicate urself to finishing school so u can find a job first and then learn the value of money b4 making noise about moving out.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Natasha2(f): 3:42pm On Dec 02, 2011
Deep Soul:

I lived alone when I was 21 (NYSC). Went back home and "ran away" at 23. The only way I could achieve that was getting a job in a different town from where my parents stay.

Staying alone is NOT easy, my opinion. Especially if you are legit! The bills never stop coming in - food, NEPA card, fuel, security bills, water bills etc etc. It has made me appreciate all my parents did for me till I was 21. Oh, I forgot to mention house rent. . . my dear, you are eating free food and not paying rent and you are tired. I laugh in swahili!

Despite the hardship though, I'd rather not stay with my parents, biko. It makes me fiercely independent, financially and otherwise.

@OP: Major problem is, you are still in school. You're gonna wanna wait till you're done and can fend for yourself before thinking of moving out. It's a HARSH world out here! Or if you have any available suitors, you can like to choose one right now grin

P.S: Why are you still in school at 26? You haff tay small oh. . .

Nice and about being 26 and in school trust me she is even young, I wont be surprised if it was because of our fucking educational system it sucks to the extreme, when Jamb Jam you for five years why you no go old go school?

@Poster what exactly is making you live like cat and Dog? To handle a problem you have to know the source, and you didn't really state what brought this cat and dog relationship
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by Shola2009(m): 3:45pm On Dec 02, 2011
@Poster, na you do yourself oo. . . you don too old for house. Finish school,get a job,get your own place sharply. . . . .
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by iice(f): 4:10pm On Dec 02, 2011
If you cannot move out, just 'chin' it till you can. Move out that is.

I lived on my own pretty early. But i have friends who lived with their parents at 26. I know people who live with their parents till 30s.
Tis different for everyone.
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by lifestyle1(m): 5:19pm On Dec 02, 2011
They want the best for you smiley
Re: Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. by james1(m): 6:09pm On Dec 02, 2011
@tatian.
They want the very best for you but at 26,you are a fully grown woman.
Don't you have a b/f?

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What My Children Did To Me / Health Benefit Of Quail Egg And Quail Meat. Gracious Seed Farm . / Brother And Sister Caught Pants Down On Tape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.