Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans (11849 Views)

Indian National Arrested In Lagos Over Visa Scam / The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / The Deplorable State Of The Nigerian Embassy In Malaysia (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by Kizilala: 9:13am On Dec 05, 2011
obowunmi:

Nigerians are very silly people. Nigeria is the only place in the world where criminals, thieves, and rogues, can walk around scout free, I don't know what South Africans want to come do in that dump.

I totally agree with you
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by Myself2(m): 9:14am On Dec 05, 2011
Oba234:

lol, okay. Keep lying to yourself.  I don't see it affecting South Africa that much at all. That just my 2cent. Been to SA and SA is light years ahead of Nigeria.

Your two cents aint worth sh[i]i[/i]t,are you the only one that has been to SA?what has that got to do with the subject of discussion?I see ignorance is not your onlt affliction but you seem to suffer an acute case of inferiority complex as well.Like I said,I wont give examples but you need some education
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by Oba234: 9:22am On Dec 05, 2011
Myself2:

Your two cents aint worth sh[i]i[/i]t,are you the only one that has been to SA?what has that got to do with the subject of discussion?I see ignorance is not your onlt affliction but you seem to suffer an acute case of inferiority complex as well.Like I said,I wont give examples but you need some education

chill out! what is the point of you cursing? Well leave me be with my inferiority complex and live in your grand delusion.
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by gaddafe(m): 9:31am On Dec 05, 2011
klas:

So because somebody alleged that visa denial was because of bribe, it means he must be right and he is above making false accusation?

He said that visa had already been pasted on their passport but was cancelled by the official in annoyance because no bribe was given. Is that possible?

No embassy allows you to peruse your processed visa on its premises, you have to go out first. So how did the passports get back to the embassy officials for them to cancel the initial 'valid visa' and even seize the passports? And if the passports had not been handed over to the applicants, How did they know the decision of the embassy?

The police that wanted to forcefully enter, were they going to arrest diplomats or forcefully retrieve the passports?

All the time SA had been denying Nigerian visas, why have we not been alleging bribery?
+1
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by GChux1: 9:33am On Dec 05, 2011
Shame on the Nigerian Embassy. If this is true, more shame to our dilapidated ego. They couldn't restrict bribe taking to their fellow countrymen. Pretty ugly.
Yeske!:

SAPS dey craze?
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by chamber2(m): 9:33am On Dec 05, 2011
Oba234:

chill out!  what is the point of you cursing? Well leave me be with my inferiority complex and live in your grand delusion.

Stop making this silly argument. They were denied visas and so? Is that enough reason for ordinary police officers to invade the embassy of a sovereign nation? Any country reserves the right to either allow you entry into their country or not, why is that of SA an exemption?

G-Chux:

Shame on the Nigerian Embassy. If this is true, more shame to our dilapidated ego. They couldn't restrict bribe taking to their fellow countrymen. Pretty ugly.

How did you find out that the bribe allegation is true and even if it's true, is that enough reason to invade the embassy of another country?

Are south Africans this lawless that they do not respect the integrity of another nation, even a dilapidated one like Nigeria?
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by emmatok(m): 9:39am On Dec 05, 2011
Some Nigerians supporting the SA  here are silly,

So because of an allegation you invade another country's embassy.

How i wish they try this with the US or UK embassies.
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by chamber2(m): 9:41am On Dec 05, 2011
^^^

Don't mind those silly people.

South Africa must be the most lawless country on earth

There's no justification for an ordinary police officer to invade the embassy of another country, except maybe if there is war between the two countries.
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 05, 2011
@Oba234
You must be an ignoramus to have uttered that 'shit'.SA stands to lose a lot more than Ngr if there is a diplomatic row between the two countries.Just take a look at the balance of trade between the two countries and you'l understand that a row with Ngr would definitely take a toll on SA.
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by emmatok(m): 9:46am On Dec 05, 2011
klas:

So because somebody alleged that visa denial was because of bribe, it means he must be right and he is above making false accusation?

He said that visa had already been pasted on their passport but was cancelled by the official in annoyance because no bribe was given. Is that possible?

No embassy allows you to peruse your processed visa on its premises, you have to go out first. So how did the passports get back to the embassy officials for them to cancel the initial 'valid visa' and even seize the passports?  And if the passports had not been handed over to the applicants, How did they know the decision of the embassy?

The police that wanted to forcefully enter, were they going to arrest diplomats or forcefully retrieve the passports?

All the time SA had been denying Nigerian visas, why have we not been alleging bribery?

You just remind me of their VISA PROCESSING OFFICE AT IKOYI, those guys will treat you like shyt if you don't sort(bribe) them.

Yet they have the audacity to invade our embassy, when thier companies [b]DSTV, MTN [/b]e.t.c are making millions on our soil.

They are lucky OBJ is not in Power .
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 9:47am On Dec 05, 2011
I'm somehow liking this intense situation, what the nigerian govt would do next and the SA too
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by justwise(m): 9:58am On Dec 05, 2011
This is wrong in many ways, SA police got no right what so ever to invade Nigerian embassy, even if they asked for bribe, its completely wrong for a foreign embassy to be attacked.

SA have the duty to protect foreign embassies in SA.
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by chamber2(m): 10:03am On Dec 05, 2011
^^^

Another sensible person
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by dalebutt1: 10:10am On Dec 05, 2011
@ Cashmentor, I know you are in love with your corrupt government and criminals in the foreign dept, but could you please learn how to have a civil discussion and drop your opinion without resorting to personal abuse and if you must to do that, could you learn how to spell HECK and not hect and you are free to always click the modify button if you notice mistake in your post
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by chamber2(m): 10:15am On Dec 05, 2011
^^^

And you are any better, huh

Are we discussing corruption or the illegal invasion of another country's premises? Can you name any govt that is not corrupt, including your revered South Africa?
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by Nobody: 10:18am On Dec 05, 2011
klas:

No embassy allows you to peruse your processed visa on its premises, you have to go out first. So how did the passports get back to the embassy officials for them to cancel the initial 'valid visa' and even seize the passports? And if the passports had not been handed over to the applicants, How did they know the decision of the embassy?

All the time SA had been denying Nigerian visas, why have we not been alleging bribery
?

+1
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by justwise(m): 10:21am On Dec 05, 2011
dalebutt1:

@ Cashmentor, I know you are in love with your corrupt government and criminals in the foreign dept, but could you please learn how to have a civil discussion and drop your opinion without resorting to personal abuse and if you must to do that, could you learn how to spell HECK and not hect and you are free to always click the modify button if you notice mistake in your post

Please keep the issue of corruption out of this, yes its wrong for Nigeria embassy to ask for bribe but SA police has no single right to invade any foreign embassy, whoever gave the go-ahead order to that operation should be clearing his or her office now for a long time leave without pay.

Its unheard of, its criminal, it violates international law, this is worst than what happened  to UK embassy in Iran.
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by chamber2(m): 10:28am On Dec 05, 2011
^^^

That's the kind of response you get when people who have no clue on issues being discussed make senseless comments. What is the justification to invade another country's foreign premises. And tomorrow this set of people will end up becoming our law makers, people who know nothing on international law and inter country relations.

The South African govt should have been shivering now if this was to be the UK and US embassy because of the actions of these senseless policemen.
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by kizito96(m): 10:31am On Dec 05, 2011
Corruption is a way of life in Nigeria. The Senate has to enshrine this in our constitution. At least South Africa should have known that bribery is constitutional in Nigeria.
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by dalebutt1: 10:38am On Dec 05, 2011
@ Justwise, yes u didnt see anywhere in my post siding with the SA police force, if the allegations are true, well its as bad as ransacking the embassy. I know they wouldn't try it even with Niger Republic. The ambassador must himself have left a bad legacy in the 1st place, if Nigeria interest had been earnestly protected in SA that wouldnt have happened.

People are not talking about the allegation of bribe at all, in as much as its bad to storm our embassy and I would want this be resolved in a diplomatic way and to be well assured that there would not be a repeat under any circumstance , its technically invading our country, but nobody wonders how demeaning our status on the international front is atm for SA police to have deemed it right to technically invade this country.

And I was urging the cashmentor person to have a civil discussion without throwing abuse when he wasnt even attacked in the 1st place
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by justwise(m): 10:41am On Dec 05, 2011
chamber2:

^^^

That's the kind of response you get when people who have no clue on issues being discussed make senseless comments. What is the justification to invade another country's foreign premises. And tomorrow this set of people will end up becoming our law makers, people who know nothing on international law and inter country relations.

The South African govt should have been shivering now if this was to be the UK and US embassy because of the actions of these senseless policemen.

Its unreal, SA police should be the last police force in the world to cry their eyes out about corruption, their former commissioner, Jackie Selebi was jailed for collecting bribe from drug dealers. He collapsed in court last week when he lost his appeal case.

Nigerian govt deserve unreserved apology from SA govt straight away.
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by norrisman: 10:46am On Dec 05, 2011
Too many dimwits on Nairaland shouting balance of trade,SA will lose more, Nigeria will lose more blah blah blah. Do you clowns really think trading will stop between the 2 countries over a minor diplomatic spat where the police didnt even manage to gain entrance. The police of a country can be called to a foreign mission when a crime is reported. I have seen the Met called to the Nigerian High Commission in London before. If the South Africans called the police and reported that they were being held against their wishes do you think the SA police are like your NPF that would take no action. Israel that is 10 times more powerful than your shit hole had its embassy invaded and ransacked in Egypt recently and heaven did not fall so much more a banana republic. Even when there are strained diplomatic relations between 2 countries, it is business as usual. Even with sanctions in place, the US remained a consumer of Iraqi, Iranian and Libyan oil!

I was in Nigeria a couple of weeks ago and every single official at the airport either begs you for money or tries to make your life difficult so you can pay your way out. On the way the airport, a policeman stops my friend, who although his car papers were up to date, he didnt have them in the car due to the car being broken into recently and all his personal effects removed. The policeman, realising we were on the way to the airport said we must follow him to the mobile court. In any normal country, in the absence of technology for instant verification, you should be allowed to produce the said documents once it can be established that tue car isnt stolen. To cut the long story short, we parted with N3500. At the airport, the first people I met, probably from the airline cos they were ticking some names begged for money. Then another guy who scanned the passport. Thank goodness he didnt beg for money. Then the customs, parted with N2000 for daring to export indomie noodles and cassava flakes (garri lol). At the check in counter, check in lady stylishly asks for money to put me in a window seat WTF  . Refused and accepted seat in the middle. There isnt much of a scene at 33000 feet. Then the guys at the entrance to the restricted area of the airport who check . boarding passes begged for money. Final one was the Nigerian Immigration Service who said to me I couldnt travel because my passport couldnt be fully read by their scanner due to staple holes on it made by an embassy I had applied to previously. Now this is the same passport I came into the country with 10 days earlier. Why didnt the slowpoke who scanned it on my arrival inform me of this so I could have arranged for a replacement. Of course he wont, I am more valuable to them on my way out of the country. While waiting in their dingy office, I saw them harrassing several Nigerians and Asians not because of a sense of wanting to do their jobs but because of what they could get. After half an hour in their office, I told the guy asking me what I want to do to bsettle the matter that I gave the customs my last Naira and he said he would accept foreign currency. I told him I had none and brought out my British passport and told him I wished to travel with that. He realised he had been defeated, this time around and mumbled some incoherent ish and gave me back my passport saying make sure u replace it before you come back home. I felt like telling him, I hope not to be back anytime soon! But I kept my mouth shut.

With me experiencing all this about 4 hrs, I wouldnt put it past the goons at the high commision in Joburg to demand bribes. They must have at one time or the other worked in some positions internally in Nigeria and like they say old habits die hard.

1 Like

Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by publisher(m): 10:46am On Dec 05, 2011
kizito96:

Corruption is a way of life in Nigeria. The Senate has to enshrine this in our constitution. At least South Africa should have known that bribery is constitutional in Nigeria.

[size=15pt]You are just a slowpoke,have you verified the 'bribe' allegations? Is it not possible that the South Africans were coming to Nigeria for a different mission and used church activities as a front?
What else would motivate the South african police to get directly involved if some serious South African INTERESTS were not at stake. Wetin be the name of the church sef? Who knows that church in Nigeria,when its not Redeemed,Winners.Deeper Life,MFM or TB Joshua.

But yes,its possible that the Nigerian Diplomats asked for 'bribes',but its also possible that they did this when it was discovered that the South Africans were travelling to Nigeria for a different economic reason not religious.  

That's my own conspiracy theory. However,i stand with Nigeria on this one.[/size]
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by Woke4all(m): 10:50am On Dec 05, 2011
There's more to this story i guess!
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by publisher(m): 10:51am On Dec 05, 2011
norrisman:

Too many dimwits on Nairaland shouting balance of trade,SA will lose more, Nigeria will lose more blah blah blah. Do you clowns really think trading will stop between the 2 countries over a minor diplomatic spat where the police didnt even manage to gain entrance. The police of a country can be called to a foreign mission when a crime is reported. I have seen the Met called to the Nigerian High Commission in London before. If the South Africans called the police and reported that they were being held against their wishes do you think the SA police are like your NPF that would take no action. Israel that is 10 times more powerful than your poo hole had its embassy invaded and ransacked in Egypt recently and heaven did not fall so much more a banana republic. Even when there are strained diplomatic relations between 2 countries, it is business as usual. Even with sanctions in place, the US remained a consumer of Iraqi, Iranian and Libyan oil!

I was in Nigeria a couple of weeks ago and every single official at the airport either begs you for money or tries to make your life difficult so you can pay your way out. On the way the airport, a policeman stops my friend, who although his car papers were up to date, he didnt have them in the car due to the car being broken into recently and all his personal effects removed. The policeman, realising we were on the way to the airport said we must follow him to the mobile court. In any normal country, in the absence of technology for instant verification, you should be allowed to produce the said documents once it can be established that tue car isnt stolen. To cut the long story short, we parted with N3500. At the airport, the first people I met, probably from the airline cos they were ticking some names begged for money. Then another guy who scanned the passport. Thank goodness he didnt beg for money. Then the customs, parted with N2000 for daring to export indomie noodles and cassava flakes (garri lol). At the check in counter, check in lady stylishly asks for money to put me in a window seat WTF  . Refused and accepted seat in the middle. There isnt much of a scene at 33000 feet. Then the guys at the entrance to the restricted area of the airport who check . boarding passes begged for money. Final one was the Nigerian Immigration Service who said to me I couldnt travel because my passport couldnt be fully read by their scanner due to staple holes on it made by an embassy I had applied to previously. Now this is the same passport I came into the country with 10 days earlier. Why didnt the slowpoke who scanned it on my arrival inform me of this so I could have arranged for a replacement. Of course he wont, I am more valuable to them on my way out of the country. While waiting in their dingy office, I saw them harrassing several Nigerians and Asians not because of a sense of wanting to do their jobs but because of what they could get. After half an hour in their office, I told the guy asking me what I want to do to bsettle the matter that I gave the customs my last Naira and he said he would accept foreign currency. I told him I had none and brought out my British passport and told him I wished to travel with that. He realised he had been defeated, this time around and mumbled some incoherent ish and gave me back my passport saying make sure u replace it before you come back home. I felt like telling him, I hope not to be back anytime soon! But I kept my mouth shut.

With me experiencing all this about 4 hrs, I wouldnt put it past the goons at the high commision in Joburg to demand bribes. They must have at one time or the other worked in some positions internally in Nigeria and like they say old habits die hard.

[size=15pt]Abegi,people like you love to add salt and sugar to one-off experiences in order to buttress your lousy points. The truth is that in MOST cases,if your hands are TOTALLY clean,no Nigerian official can milk any bribe from you. Highest they may directly or indirectly ask for TIPS; which happens in EVERY country of the world,one way or another.[/size] grin
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by cashmentor(m): 10:52am On Dec 05, 2011
Kizilala:

I totally agree with you
in a good mood right now! Next ==>
dalebutt1:

Thanks dude!
Yes! I'm in love, infact married 2 my belove "though corrupt" Nation Nigeria and i ain't ashame bout it, I was taught in Int'l Studies & Diplomacy that an Embassy of any nation, is that Nations territory pure and simple? Hence this isn't about Nigeria being corrupt or SA being saints too! It isn't about morality either, it's simply about Int'l Laws & Diplomacy!
So my dear, i will pure insults on my nation wen it comes 2 internal arguments & issues, buh i just can't stand poo(s) insulting every Nigerian and it's Pres. when it comes 2 Int'l matters, Good or Bad, i'm a proud born Nigerian! No apologies
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by emmatok(m): 10:55am On Dec 05, 2011
dalebutt1:

@ Justwise, yes u didnt see anywhere in my post siding with the SA police force, if the allegations are true, well its as bad as ransacking the embassy. I know they wouldn't try it even with Niger Republic. The ambassador must himself have left a bad legacy in the 1st place, if Nigeria interest had been earnestly protected in SA that wouldnt have happened.

People are not talking about the allegation of bribe at all, in as much as its bad to storm our embassy and I would want this be resolved in a diplomatic way and to be well assured that there would not be a repeat under any circumstance , its technically invading our country, but nobody wonders how demeaning our status on the international front is atm for SA police to have deemed it right to technically invade this country.

And I was urging the cashmentor person to have a civil discussion without throwing abuse when he wasnt even attacked in the 1st place

What nonsense are you typing here.

So it is OK the invade an Embassy for bribery, why can't the SA foreign Minister summon the Ambassador over the allegation.

I sure the SA foreign Minister wasn't informed by the Police before invasion.
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by keeeem: 10:56am On Dec 05, 2011
When we stated that we were not willing to pay a bribe, the officials reacted angrily and proceeded to revoke the visas which had already been issued on our passports. They told us that the Nigerian church which we were visiting did not provide them with a genuine certificate that our church was registered. We saw this as a ploy to try and solicit bribe from us

Please read the words in bold and you will get the idea of the mischief. As much as I do not want to hold brief for the embassy officials, I believe the bribe allegation was a ploy to whip up sentiments. If you have been to the US embassy here, the interviewing guy just declines your visa and nothing more. Nobody accuses him of asking for bribe as a result of this. This Nigerian guy was even magnanimous to have stated that there was no genuine certificate that their church was registered

I think people should be careful with the kind of comments they make on issues like this. The resort to using SA lends credence to the fact that it was a calculated attempt to intimidate the Nigerian Embassy officials
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by drstan(m): 10:57am On Dec 05, 2011
Who d hell is SA to invade Nigeria embassy, they must b dummy to my best of knowledge ,wel they hav mor to lose dan Nigeria, or is it bekus they have white there, that refuse to go bak to there coun3 afta d indpendt, , If nt for d help of sum coun3 like nigeria they would hav stil be in their slavry mess.
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by emmatok(m): 11:01am On Dec 05, 2011
norrisman:

Too many dimwits on Nairaland shouting balance of trade,SA will lose more, Nigeria will lose more blah blah blah. Do you clowns really think trading will stop between the 2 countries over a minor diplomatic spat where the police didnt even manage to gain entrance. The police of a country can be called to a foreign mission when a crime is reported. I have seen the Met called to the Nigerian High Commission in London before. If the South Africans called the police and reported that they were being held against their wishes do you think the SA police are like your NPF that would take no action. Israel that is 10 times more powerful than your poo hole had its embassy invaded and ransacked in Egypt recently and heaven did not fall so much more a banana republic. Even when there are strained diplomatic relations between 2 countries, it is business as usual. Even with sanctions in place, the US remained a consumer of Iraqi, Iranian and Libyan oil!

Your are the dimwit here, for showing how Inferior you are .

Are the SA better than Nigerians in terms of crime and corruption-NO
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by publisher(m): 11:14am On Dec 05, 2011
[size=15pt]PS: This incident happened last week Tuesday(Nov. 29) ; the two nations must have already resolved the matter and tried to kill it off in the media.

Dont know why NL come carry am for head almost a week after.[/size]
Re: S'African Police Invade Nigerian Embassy Over Visa Refusal To South Africans by dalebutt1: 11:18am On Dec 05, 2011
@ emmatok, so it's good to compare ourselves with another corrupt country eh emmatok! seen your ideology isnt much different from the people at the rock then

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The London Skyline Is Finally Taking Shape! / Relocated / Lokoja River Port To Cost N4.112 Billion - George Moghalu, NIWA MD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.