Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,092 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

First Time Going Abroad. I'm So Jittery, Please Help! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / First Time Going Abroad. I'm So Jittery, Please Help! (2642 Views)

GOING ABROAD? DON'T FORGET YOUR.......... / Interested In Going Abroad For Business Or Pleasure? Pls Read This / After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Time Going Abroad. I'm So Jittery, Please Help! by Mayy: 10:25am On Dec 06, 2011
I have a six month course to attend in India. Now my excitement has worn off, I am jittery and baffled about going abroad for the first time. I have some concerns and I understand I might get help here in Nairaland. Pleas help me answer one or more of these questions.

1. I got a student visa, will I be able to pick up menial jobs while studying?
2. Are phones allowed in flight mode on International airplanes?
3. How many hours is it to India?
4. What do I do once I arrive there? I don't have anyone meeting me at the airport.
5. How will I deal with all the strange food I expect to find there?
6. There's nearly a six hour time difference, how do I deal with the jet lag and having to show up for registration procedures at the study center?
7. I don't generally do well in cold weather, how do I deal with 12 degrees centigrade (i checked) this winter season?

I may think of more questions and I will post again, please help if you have any suggestions, experience or knowledge about travel abroad, but especially to India.

Thanks!
Re: First Time Going Abroad. I'm So Jittery, Please Help! by justwise(m): 3:12pm On Dec 06, 2011
Mayy:

I have a six month course to attend in India. Now my excitement has worn off, I am jittery and baffled about going abroad for the first time. I have some concerns and I understand I might get help here in Nairaland. Pleas help me answer one or more of these questions.

4. What do I do once I arrive there? I don't have anyone meeting me at the airport.
5. How will I deal with all the strange food I expect to find there?
6. There's nearly a six hour time difference, how do I deal with the jet lag and having to show up for registration procedures at the study center?
7. I don't generally do well in cold weather, how do I deal with 12 degrees centigrade (i checked) this winter season?

I may think of more questions and I will post again, please help if you have any suggestions, experience or knowledge about travel abroad, but especially to India.

Thanks!

1= take enough money for the duration of your course, India is not a place you will go and depend on part-time job

2= you can take your phone but you can't use it on flight,you will be told to switch it off.

Question 4-7 are things you should have found out before thinking of going to India to study.
Re: First Time Going Abroad. I'm So Jittery, Please Help! by fili24: 4:08pm On Dec 06, 2011
@ poster

5= Take some Naija foodstuff with u, b4 u get used to their food in India

6= India is not a cold country (12 degrees is not so cold as u think)
= take your jacket with u
Re: First Time Going Abroad. I'm So Jittery, Please Help! by Vicjustice: 4:41pm On Dec 06, 2011
Mayy:

Like Justwise had adviced, you need to have access to funds to enable you survive in India since the economic situations there is about the same as in Nigeria.

Mayy:

Actually, it is ok to travel with your phone switch on Flight Mode, but because fellow passangers might not allow it since they don't trust what mode you have it on, so to avoid troubles, it's wise to switch it off. Flight mode is mainly beneficial if you're in a private jet.

Mayy:

That depends on the airline company schedules, but you'd have to transit or stop-over in at least one or two airports; it's logical you'd arrive your destination a day or two later
Re: First Time Going Abroad. I'm So Jittery, Please Help! by 25omega(m): 4:49pm On Dec 06, 2011
questions and answer

1. regarding getting a job, you should have research this before hand
2. phones are usually turned off now since 9/11 even if you have airplane mode some air stewardesses would want it off
3. the ticket and your itinerary should tell you the length and time of travel
4. what do you do when you get there? seriously research should have been done. Are you going to be staying in a dorm? or where would you live when you get there (dont tell me you have no arraignments)
5. Indian cuisine is very delicious they eat rice and lots of curry and spices, lots of vegetarian foods (just keep an open mind)
6 jet lag is jet lag everyone who travels experiences it at some point just make sure you find a good cup of coffee in a bout 3 days to a week you should feel ok to the change in time zones
7. I thought India was usually hot as heck anyway i just read that it gets cold there too so just pack a good jacket well jackets for the cold winters you will be fine
Re: First Time Going Abroad. I'm So Jittery, Please Help! by sabbath7th: 5:55pm On Dec 06, 2011
It depends on where in India you are going to. Banglore has the best climate in India year round. North India is hot in the summer and cold in the winter and South India its hot in the summer and mild in the winter. India used to be cheap but the major Cities are getting very expensive. LMK where in India you are going to.
Re: First Time Going Abroad. I'm So Jittery, Please Help! by Mayy: 1:07pm On Dec 07, 2011
@Justwise, thanks a lot. it's just that I can't imagine not talking to familiar people (family and friends) for the duration the Eastern Hemisphere travel!

@Fili24, taking foodstuff, won't that be bulky? I was thinking of Yaji pepper (hausa spice powder) to drown out any taste I don't understand! what kind do you suggest?
12 degrees not cold? It's not like I'll have the remote control, remember? undecided cheesy

@Vicjustice, thanks for the advice. I have noted them.

@25Omega, @Sabbath7th, I am going to Kolkata. Actually, my prospective employer is sending me to pick up some more training. I am not sure the kind of accommodation that is being arranged, and I have no idea yet whether my welfare package will be 'enough' so I was hoping I can use spare hours to make something extra just to be sure I am not stranded (I don't have a contract yet until I am through with the trainings).

By the way, does anyone know what the per diem should look like, so I can say something if I am being shortchanged?
Re: First Time Going Abroad. I'm So Jittery, Please Help! by 25omega(m): 10:36pm On Dec 07, 2011
Mayy:

@25Omega, @Sabbath7th, I am going to Kolkata. Actually, my prospective employer is sending me to pick up some more training. I am not sure the kind of accommodation that is being arranged, and I have no idea yet whether my welfare package will be 'enough' so I was hoping I can use spare hours to make something extra just to be sure I am not stranded (I don't have a contract yet until I am through with the trainings).

poster kolkata from what i heard is a very poor area

if you have a visa to go for training, i dont think you would be allowed to work. Since this training is being sponsored by a potential employer i would say focus on that alone and why not ask if they will fund your room and board? besides you should already know if they are or not. Dont take your self to a strange country and put yourself in a situation that would be horrible.

Ask the employer every possible question regarding where you are staying how would you eat transportation etc. No job is that important that you should go and get stranded in a strange country

(1) (Reply)

Estonia Visa / Relocating To Nigeria / Air Peace Evacuate 206 Stranded Israelite Back To Jerusalem - Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.