Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,215 members, 7,953,795 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:37 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 (215339 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (101) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by classy013: 11:58am On Jan 05, 2012
I want to shedule an expedited appointment and I got this email from the US Embassy. I don't know if my request has been approved. I want to make sure before I cancel the previous appointment date.

Thank you for your email. Applicants in Abuja and Lagos who wish to schedule an expedited student visa appointment should now do so via the new website http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng - or through the assistance of a new call center at 09-460-1748. Both the new website and call center are managed by the visa support services firm, CGI.   All costs for using the appointment system, including scheduling and passport pickup, will be covered under the MRV fee, currently $140 for business and tourist visas and $150 for work visas. All persons scheduling appointments under the new system   will need to pay the applicable visa fees at a branch of Guaranty Trust Bank (GT Bank) first in order to book an appointment.

House, I need your response. Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by ade101(m): 12:39pm On Jan 05, 2012
HAPPY NEW YEAR FRIENDS.I am a regular follower of this thread for more than a year but never had a reason to comment or ask questions. Now I have one & I want everyone to help me. I will soon be going to the embassy for my f-1 visa and here is a brief detail of my academic standing.

Presently, I am a 400level student of university of Ilorin studying chemical engineering. Immediately after my 300level academic section, I applied as a transfer student to a varsity in NEWYORK with 1st choice program as CHEMICAL ENGINEERING and 2nd choice as COMPUTER SCIENCE WITH MATHEMATICS. Now I have been given admission to study COMPUTER SCIENCE WITH MATHEMATICS.I have also been asked by the school to forward my statement and passport for them to issue my I-20 but I am quite reluctant to go forward with the process due to how I perceive my case from the angle of the CO. There is a big question, I may have problem giving a satisfactory answer to, if actually asked by the CO.

CO: Why leaving your program (I am already in 400level) to start over somewhere else, isn’t that a waste of time?

**** Note that I applied as a transfer student and the school promised to evaluate/analyze my already taken courses, I know I have taken most of their 1st  & 2nd year courses (they are general courses & I saw it through their website), so I may be lucky to be enrolled in year 2 or 3.can I pick points from this to assist my answer.

CO: You are already studying chemical engineering, now you are going for COMPUTER SCIENCE WITH MATHEMATICS, Why transferring to a program that is unrelated to your previous program of study??

****Personally I prefer COMPUTER SCIENCE to ENGINEERING FIELD any day, anytime, in fact I am a web designer & help friends in solving network and software issues at school for a fee, I am ambitious to explore more of the computer science world, but that’s just me, how can I convince the consular who may look down on me like some kind of unserious fellow. I have been thinking of well sounding response to those questions but each time I come up with ideas, I will later end up saying to myself that the consular will hardly buy into it and may probably say  ‘‘I AM SORRY , YOU WILL HAVE TO GO BACK AND FINISH YOUR STUDIES, I CANNOT ISSUE YOU BLA BLA BLA’’
I now turn to my good nairalander to please  help suggest points/ideas that I can use to prove myself worthy before the consular. Please don’t read and ignore, please,pleas,plea,pls help.

I AM YET TO REPLY THE SCHOOL FOR MY I-20 REQUEST, AS I WANT TO BE SURE FIRST IF I HAVE A GOOD DEFENDABLE CASE & THE TIME IS TICKING AGAINST ME.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by classy013: 1:00pm On Jan 05, 2012
Personally, I think you do have a good intention to study in America but those funny VOs might see as a potential immigrant. If Nigeria is a country like China, I am 100% sure your visa would be approved at first attempt.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by classy013: 1:01pm On Jan 05, 2012
Personally, I think you do have a good intention to study in America but those funny VOs might see you as a potential immigrant. If Nigeria is a country like China, I am 100% sure your visa would be approved at first attempt.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jan 05, 2012
Hello Ade, since you are currently in yr 4 why don't u wait one more year and finish at once then apply for masters.
It would look better from any angle if u do so.
Transferring now may raise all sort of questions and mind u, even if u get the visa, u might be required to start from yr 1 which is a waste of time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by classy013: 2:51pm On Jan 05, 2012
It's okay now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by ade101(m): 3:09pm On Jan 05, 2012
uberino:

Hello Ade, since you are currently in yr 4 why don't u wait one more year and finish at once then apply for masters.
It would look better from any angle if u do so.
Transferring now may raise all sort of questions and mind u, even if u get the visa, u might be required to start from yr 1 which is a waste of time.

THANKS, i note your point.may be i should ignore the admission.

classy013:

Personally, I think you do have a good intention to study in America but those funny VOs might see you as a potential immigrant. If Nigeria is a country like China, I am 100% sure your visa would be approved at first attempt.

thanks for your point too.

please keep the suggestion coming.I may be able to decide sooner than i thought.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by ade101(m): 3:11pm On Jan 05, 2012
ade101:

HAPPY NEW YEAR FRIENDS.I am a regular follower of this thread for more than a year but never had a reason to comment or ask questions. Now I have one & I want everyone to help me. I will soon be going to the embassy for my f-1 visa and here is a brief detail of my academic standing.

Presently, I am a 400level student of university of Ilorin studying chemical engineering. Immediately after my 300level academic section, I applied as a transfer student to a varsity in NEWYORK with 1st choice program as CHEMICAL ENGINEERING and 2nd choice as COMPUTER SCIENCE WITH MATHEMATICS. Now I have been given admission to study COMPUTER SCIENCE WITH MATHEMATICS.I have also been asked by the school to forward my statement and passport for them to issue my I-20 but I am quite reluctant to go forward with the process due to how I perceive my case from the angle of the CO. There is a big question, I may have problem giving a satisfactory answer to, if actually asked by the CO.

CO: Why leaving your program (I am already in 400level) to start over somewhere else, isn’t that a waste of time?

**** Note that I applied as a transfer student and the school promised to evaluate/analyze my already taken courses, I know I have taken most of their 1st  & 2nd year courses (they are general courses & I saw it through their website), so I may be lucky to be enrolled in year 2 or 3.can I pick points from this to assist my answer.

CO: You are already studying chemical engineering, now you are going for COMPUTER SCIENCE WITH MATHEMATICS, Why transferring to a program that is unrelated to your previous program of study??

****Personally I prefer COMPUTER SCIENCE to ENGINEERING FIELD any day, anytime, in fact I am a web designer & help friends in solving network and software issues at school for a fee, I am ambitious to explore more of the computer science world, but that’s just me, how can I convince the consular who may look down on me like some kind of unserious fellow. I have been thinking of well sounding response to those questions but each time I come up with ideas, I will later end up saying to myself that the consular will hardly buy into it and may probably say  ‘‘I AM SORRY , YOU WILL HAVE TO GO BACK AND FINISH YOUR STUDIES, I CANNOT ISSUE YOU BLA BLA BLA’’
I now turn to my good nairalander to please  help suggest points/ideas that I can use to prove myself worthy before the consular. Please don’t read and ignore, please,pleas,plea,pls help.

I AM YET TO REPLY THE SCHOOL FOR MY I-20 REQUEST, AS I WANT TO BE SURE FIRST IF I HAVE A GOOD DEFENDABLE CASE & THE TIME IS TICKING AGAINST ME.

more suggestions please
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 3:16pm On Jan 05, 2012
@ade101,

I won't like to sound again like I'm against someone's aspiration. Uberino had given you the true picture of the matter. Best of luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by cleverdude: 3:35pm On Jan 05, 2012
House,my emergency appointment has been denied at abuja consulate,what can i do to get it approved. Pls,ur immediate response is needed.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 4:18pm On Jan 05, 2012
^^^ did you attach like your admission letter showing your arrival date? I did in my own case.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by cleverdude: 5:04pm On Jan 05, 2012
@imperiouxx,i didnt attach a single document;if that was what caused d denial,pls what do i do now to get it approved. MY HEAD IS BURNING UP!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by cleverdude: 5:06pm On Jan 05, 2012
DAMN! @imperiouxx,i didnt even attach a single document;okay,if that was what caused d denial,pls what do i do now to get it approved. MY HEAD IS BURNING UP!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 5:43pm On Jan 05, 2012
cleverdude:

DAMN! @imperiouxx,i didnt even attach a single document;okay,if that was what caused d denial,pls what do i do now to get it approved. MY HEAD IS BURNING UP!

I don't know why your request wasn't approved but I will advice you to apply again and attach something like evidence of the urgency.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Goshen360(m): 8:53pm On Jan 05, 2012
imperiouxx:

@ade101,

I won't like to sound again like I'm against someone's aspiration. Uberino had given you the true picture of the matter. Best of luck.

SUPPORTED. IT WILL MAKE MORE SENSE AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PROOF YOURSELF BETTER IF YOU ARE CHANGING COURSE AT MSC LEVEL THAN NOW.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by phy: 11:51pm On Jan 05, 2012
ade101:

more suggestions please
What's really your conviction about the transfer? Are you sure the reason for the transfer is basically to pursue your dream and passion for CS? If yes, then I will say you can give it a try. I need to add here that you need to be prepared to answer technical questions as per the switch cos the reason you gave in this mail not convincing (I have physiologists and doctors that design website). Personally, i feel there's no harm in giving it a try if you feel it is worth it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jan 05, 2012
stopped by to say - truly glad for the imperiouxx dude. It would have been a grave injustice for you not to have obtained your visa for all the help you have rendered here. Indeed God is good. Congrats and all the best in the USA.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Square65: 4:47am On Jan 06, 2012
ade101:

Just found out UNILORIN had been running a Chemical Engineering programme since 2008 today, so you must probably be the first set?

Anyway, to the crux of the matter, like you've realized, it is a very much dicey situation, considering the extent to which you've gone with your undergrad programme in Chemical Eng but it is not impossible.

Really, Computer Science with Mathematics and Chemical Eng are not too "divergent". You might want to give technical explanations for the seeming gap by telling the VO that the use of software programs for Process Design, Modelling, Simulation and Control stoked your interest in writing programs and developing similar modeling apps which has fueled to your intention to study Computer Science with Mathematics , just some stuff to make it less deviating.

Like some house members have pointed out the most reasonable thing to do is to finish your undergrad and go for your masters in any area of your interest later on (which is, most likely, what the VO might be thinking too). It is understandable if you find it difficult taking this advice cos you must have put in a lot of efforts and resources at this stage.

My guess is, you have a clearer picture of the situation now, so the options are yours for the taking.

P.S.
You can go ahead with getting your I-20 while trying to make a decision on whether you want to honor your admission or not, as you get more advice.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by kidUrbane: 7:25am On Jan 06, 2012
@rowlandoo, I'm also an undergraduate applicant for the fall 2012 semester, Undergraduate applicants too should please give comments,tips and advise on issues
and I'll like to say this for the sake of those puzzled on the expiry of the SEVIS fee.the SEVIS Fee doesnt expire that easy.It doesnt if you apply within 12 MONTHS of previous denial it hasnt expired, meaning if you applied by fall and was denied and you reapplied again within 12 months please dont pay another SEVIS fee o.Wishing all Fall 2012 applicants a Huge Success, our Visas will be issued by God's Grace.Remember preparation matters especially by asking questions on puzzling Issues, lets keep the thread alive.and Congratulations once again Imperiouxx opened the year on a great note.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by cleverdude: 7:40am On Jan 06, 2012
kidUrbane:

@rowlandoo, I'm also an undergraduate applicant for the fall 2012 semester, Undergraduate applicants too should please give comments,tips and advise on issues
and I'll like to say this for the sake of those puzzled on the expiry of the SEVIS fee.the SEVIS Fee doesnt expire that easy.It doesnt if you apply within 12 MONTHS of previous denial it hasnt expired, meaning if you applied by fall and was denied and you reapplied again within 12 months please dont pay another SEVIS fee o.Wishing all Fall 2012 applicants a Huge Success, our Visas will be issued by God's Grace.Remember preparation matters especially by asking questions on puzzling Issues, lets keep the thread alive.and Congratulations once again Imperiouxx opened the year on a great note.
Hmmn, how true is this info?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by dexterousg: 8:24am On Jan 06, 2012
@imperioux, Can i still get a febuary date in lagos without an expedited appointment?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by cleverdude: 8:30am On Jan 06, 2012
dexterousg:

@imperioux, Can i still get a febuary date in lagos without an expedited appointment?
of course,even in abuja.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by dexterousg: 9:48am On Jan 06, 2012
cleverdude:

of course,even in abuja.
in lagos,the available dates opened were in march and april?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by kidUrbane: 10:29am On Jan 06, 2012
@cleverdude its so true you can check the FMJfee website or ICE, I almost paid the money till my International Student Advisor told me I needn't pay it again and I contacted SEVIS so they made it clear besides its clearly written on their website.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by dexterousg: 11:23am On Jan 06, 2012
@all,If i try to reschedule my appointment and i am not able to get an earlier date,would i still be able to get my originally chosen date back?an immediate response is needed please
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by cleverdude: 12:14pm On Jan 06, 2012
kidUrbane:

@House. THE INFORMATION ABOVE IS VERY TRUE,I just confirmed it from SEVIS site. Please, take note,to avoid waste of money. @Kidurbane,thanks so much for this information.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by classy013: 12:38pm On Jan 06, 2012
That's very correct. Thank you for this wonderful piece of information.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Square65: 1:19pm On Jan 06, 2012
dexterousg:

@all,If i try to reschedule my appointment and i am not able to get an earlier date,would i still be able to get my originally chosen date back?an immediate response is needed please

If the date you have now is already close (within the next 2wks) and already competitive then "Ya don chop ya cake be say ya don chop ya cake."

You could be very much lucky no one picked the date before you come back to your original date.

The bottom line is, you are not guaranteed your original date. QED.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Gbenge77(m): 3:06pm On Jan 06, 2012
Square65:

If the date you have now is already close (within the next 2wks) and already competitive then "Ya don chop ya cake be say ya don chop ya cake."

You could be very much lucky no one picked the date before you come back to your original date.

The bottom line is, you are not guaranteed your original date. QED.
Thanks for that succint response.You know,i selected an option to reschedule my appointment,in which if an earlier date becomes available,which would be two weeks earlier at least,it will be automatically scheduled for me(According to them).But ,until that happens,my original date remains valid.

i was only thinking of "taking the bull by the horns",myself,hoping it doesnt backfire.And,considering my original date is in March,can i still afford to "gamble"?please respond.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Square65: 3:21pm On Jan 06, 2012
Gbenge 77:

Thanks for that succint response.You know,i selected an option to reschedule my appointment,in which if an earlier date becomes available,which would be two weeks earlier at least,it will be automatically scheduled for me(According to them).But ,until that happens,my original date remains valid.

i was only thinking of "taking the bull by the horns",myself,hoping it doesnt backfire.And,considering my original date is in March,can i still afford to "gamble"?please respond.

Does this mean Dexterousg = Gbenge 77?

I think you can give it a try since march is 2mths away.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by cleverdude: 5:12pm On Jan 06, 2012
@imperiouxx and others,i repplied this time i attached my i-20 for proof of urgency for emergency appointmnt request at the abuja consulate,but i haven't gotten any reply since xday. I saw on the website that expedited appointment can only b applied once;i got anxious,so i called em on phone,and they said that i needn't worry,cos the consulars will reply my second request before 12th January,and my school starts on 20th JAN,which is too close for me to wait for abuja consulars' reply. I'm planning on canceling my date for abuja,schedule another one at lagos consulate,and then request for an expedited appointmnt. I want to know how good the lagos embassy issue visas compared to abuja,because i've heard that denial rate is high in lagos compared to abuja. Those who av gone 4 interviews at lagos or abuja. Pls advice!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 6:56pm On Jan 06, 2012
@dexter,

Date at last minute got no assurance but I will advice you to go for ED.

@clever,

I guess it would be granted now. If cancelling and rescheduling is better for you, I will say choose anywhere convenient for you like I regretted going to Abuja when I have Ikoyi at my arm's length. Well, it's to fulfill how it has been destined ni sha. Better luck.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (101)

How Easy Is Getting Admission Into Netherlands Univeristies And Visa / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / General New Zealand Student Enquires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.