Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,749 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG (12305 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Prestigious Alumni / 7 Nigerian Universities With The Strongest Alumni Bodies / Please,is Change Of Course Form Free Or D Normal 2500naira.cos I Want To Change To Unn After Having (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by jerk: 10:28am On Dec 15, 2011
I prefer NDA named after ojukwu than UNN.Its more dignified and suits the kind of man he was.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by KnowAll(m): 10:53am On Dec 15, 2011
[size=18pt]Calling Citadels of learning and an esteemed institution such as UNN after a rebel leader would not only dumb down the degrees obtained by innocent Nigerians from that institution, the name ‘Ojukwu’ imprinted on the certificate would invoke, unravel, and inflame underpinning sentiments from would be employers especially if those employer are from the northern part of the country.

Potential candidates from such institution might not be judged by the content of their character or their academic excellence but by their assumed persuasion or loyalty to a “rebel without a cause”, which in the grand scheme of things connotes a negative vibe to a would be employer.

This might be detrimental to the already misaligned and marginalised Igbo’s and probably other Nigerians from this institution.[/size]
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Pukkah: 10:56am On Dec 15, 2011
Okija_juju:

The most interesting fact about the reactions from this thread is;

IGBOS who have all clamoured for the immortalization of Ojukwu are the same ones opposed to changing the University of Nigeria (Nsukka) to Odimegwu Ojukwu University (Nsukka). Is it that y'all love the name Nigeria than you love the man Ojukwu?!

Hmmm! - I wonder why?!

Isn't it intriguing? It's so unbelievable! So what were all the tears for? shocked
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by blacklion(m): 10:56am On Dec 15, 2011
University of Nigeria was established in 1960 by Zik based on his Pan-Africanist and humanist vision, hence its motto 'To Restore the Dignity of Man'. The institution was primarily funded from the Eastern Nigeria treasury but Zik deliberately named it 'University of Nigeria'. The name was a deliberate choice and not a mistake.

Zik's dream was a new type of university institution in Africa. He attempted to pioneer US-style higher education at Nsukka in order to give Nigeria and Africa a new beginning on a separate path from British colonialism, despite fierce resistance from the British stooges ruling Nigeria at the time. After the civil war, the FGN forcefully imposed the British university system on UNN and in 1975, the university was seized and hijacked by the FGN.

Zik could have given the institution any other name or named it after himself but he deliberately did not. All through his lifetime, Zik vigorously resisted all and any attempts to change the name of the university supposedly in his honour by the FGN.

Zik is Zik, Ojukwu is Ojukwu.

Zik of Africa and Ojukwu, the Biafran hero.

The name UNN should be preserved as Zik always wanted. This is in deference to his preferred and expressed wishes and in honour to Zik's intellectual and political ideals.

There are so many other institutions and locations in Igboland or Nigeria that could be named after Ojukwu.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Onlytruth(m): 10:59am On Dec 15, 2011
Okija_juju,

You keep claiming that you have read books about things that precipitated the civil war, but you fail woefully to show us how Ojukwu started the civil war. Only mentally deranged humans would buy your theory of secession =declaration of war.
Let me ask you, if Hausa/Fulani secedes from Nigeria today, would you fight them?
If Yoruba secedes, would you fight them, even if all Nigeria's oil is there?
I know for a fact that you won't! So, your theory fails on arrival.

However, that is besides the point really. The point is that anyone familiar with Igbo people's mindset, someone with eyes to the ground, can smell from very far that YOU ARE NOT IGBO.
We Igbo are very sane and are NEVER devilishly bitter even against our enemies, not to talk of a man who you admit did some things right at the beginning of the crisis in 1966.
So, just because according to your own false and warped history which no history books corroborate, he failed to die at the war front, you harbor this devilish bitterness against the same man you praised for some things he did right? Even to the point of dancing on his corpse before his burial?  undecided undecided
Take a look at this whole Nairaland; out of thousands of Igbos on this forum, how come it is ONLY YOU that harbor this level of bitterness against Ojukwu?
In Igboland, we say that a man who thinks that ALL his kinsmen are mad, that his own madness is worst! undecided
If you are from ANY part of Igboland, you would understand this simple Igbo belief.

YOU SEE HOW IT IS CLEAR THAT YOU ARE NOT IGBO?  undecided

What still baffles me is why folks are going about on this site claiming to be Igbo when they are not.
How many Igbos have you seen pretending to be any other tribe than Igbo?
One of these days, you will bleat this nonsense to the face of an Igbo guy who would gladly put you out of your misery.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Pukkah: 11:00am On Dec 15, 2011
In fact, whoever conceived the idea of naming UNN after Ojukwu just delivered a masterstroke. It has exposed the hypocrisy and confusion of the same people that claimed Ojukwu was the best thing to happen to the East, nay, Nigeria.

I am just sooo surprised about the vigour with which the move is being resisted!
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by ZE: 11:03am On Dec 15, 2011
i still insist that the true paternity of this so called okija_juju guy be checked.

her mother played away match with one dirty aboki nama
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by kokoA(m): 11:03am On Dec 15, 2011
Leave the name as e be jor! mtcheew.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Onlytruth(m): 11:06am On Dec 15, 2011
ZE:

i still insist that the true paternity of this so called okija_juju guy be checked.

her mother played away match with one dirty aboki nama

He is clearly not Igbo. lol
As of this past weekend, he was still writing "qua" in place of "kwa" in Igbo, until I busted him and taught him how.
No Igbo would ever write "qua" for "kwa" even at primary school.
He thinks we are dumb like him.  undecided
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Onlytruth(m): 11:13am On Dec 15, 2011
I really think they should change that University to University of Nsukka, and build a so called "University of Nigeria Abuja" so that we can all rest. We are not Nigerians anyway. They have been itching to do so for many years.
Ojukwu would roll over in his grave if anyone tagged him with another man's name.

They should not name anything after Ojukwu.
We will build a befitting memorial and tower for him.
That is what Ojukwu would have loved, and that is what he deserves. He was no academician. He was a soldier.
Soldiers are remembered with monuments and statues, not schools.

If they insist on putting a Nigerian tag on him, then they should name the 82 division of the Nigerian army in Enugu after him.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Pukkah: 11:16am On Dec 15, 2011
Onlytruth:

I really think they should change that University to University of Nsukka, and build a so called "University of Nigeria Abuja" so that we can all rest. We are not Nigerians anyway. They have been itching to do so for many years.
Ojukwu would roll over in his grave if anyone tagged him with another man's name.

They should not name anything after Ojukwu.
We will build a befitting memorial and tower for him.
That is what Ojukwu would have loved, and that is what he deserves. He was no academician. He was a soldier.
Soldiers are remembered with monuments and statues, not schools.

If they insist on putting a Nigerian tag on him, then they should name the 82 division of the Nigerian army in Enugu after him.

I like this. It shows that you know what you want as a person. But I was surprised to read from the same people who kicked against naming UNN after him only to point to another institution which they think should be named after him. Does it mean that the sentiment they have for Ojukwu is weaker than that which they have for the retaining of UNN's name?
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Onlytruth(m): 11:27am On Dec 15, 2011
Pukkah:

I like this.  It shows that you know what you want as a person.  But I was surprised to read from the same people who kicked against naming UNN after him only to point to another institution which they think should be named after him. Does it mean that the sentiment they have for Ojukwu is weaker than that which they have for the retaining of UNN's name?

Honestly, the issues are separate. Firstly, it is almost obtuse to name a university after a man whose main life achievement was to lead a freedom war. He was a soldier and not academician. If anyone really wanted to rename that school to an Igbo, they should find an academician like Chinua Achebe or someone along that line.

The second issue is that this school is really the most prestigious federal university in the East (maybe due to its age), and the East is complaining about little or no federal presence there. If you remove that name, the East could as well become a separate country because there is nothing left there.
If you carve out the East now and name it Biafra, that school would become the university of Biafra, still not named after Ojukwu. undecided

Ojukwu's status as a tested war man would be degraded by naming a school after him, unless the school is a military school.

I just laid out the underlying issues.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Onlytruth(m): 11:43am On Dec 15, 2011
So, in essence, whoever conceived this invidious idea wanted to do two things:

1. Degrade Ojukwu

2. Remove the name "Nigeria" from the university at Nsukka

Why not them just carve us out of Nigeria? I wonder how long this self deceit would continue.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by blacklion(m): 11:51am On Dec 15, 2011
I think the key issue is to respect the wishes of the founder of the university i.e. Zik, that the university keep the name UNN in perpetuity.

Zik and Ojukwu are two separate individuals.

Both made distinct contributions to Nigeria and to Igboland.

Re-naming an institution founded by Zik after Ojukwu is a gross disrespect to both of their memories.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by manosteel(m): 11:53am On Dec 15, 2011
Hear what others are saying:

Abiodun Awolaja  does a random sampling of the tributes  paid to the late Biafran leader, Chief Chukwuemeka Ojukwu, from across the country, presenting few of the most striking ones.

The transition, penultimate  Saturday, of Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, former Biafran warlord, has naturally attracted a torrent of tributes from across the country. As a figure in Nigerian history, Ojukwu ranks immediately after the nation’s founding fathers such as Nnamdi Azikiwe, Obafemi Awolowo and Ahmadu Bello, as a personage whose Odyssey is  inextricably intertwined with the country’s, and as one of the most extensively studied academic subjects across the globe.

Declaring that his place in the country’s history was assured, President Goodluck Jonathan said Ojukwu’s ‘’immense love for his people, justice, equity, and fairness which forced him into the leading role he played in the Nigerian Civil War and, as well as his commitment to reconciliation and the full integration of his people into a united and  progressive Nigeria in the aftermath of the war, will ensure that he is remembered as one of the great personalities of his time who stood out easily as a brave, courageous, fearless, erudite and charismatic leader.”

Senate President David Mark, speaking in the same vein, said: “ No matter how much you loved or hated him, Ojukwu was a man who loved his people and was ever prepared to lay down his life for them to have a better living. No matter the angle from which it is viewed, Ojukwu will be remembered as a man who stood up to be counted when it mattered most. He was a man who hated oppression and he did his best to liberate the downtrodden.”

For his part, Babangida, who urged the Federal Government to immortalise the late Igbo leader, said: “Dim Ojukwu’s patriotism about the oneness of the country was not in doubt. He believed that given the country’s diverse socio-political and cultural configurations, the nation-states within the nation must be given room to flourish in a mutually exclusive arrangement that would further the aspiration of the country.”

For his part, immediate past governor of Ekiti State, Chief Segun Oni, said: “With Ikemba’s death, there is nothing more to say other than “oke osisi din a nukwu ogha na ala igbo adawoo”(‘’The biggest iroko tree in the forest of Igboland has fallen.”). Like our own Colonel Adekunle Fajuyi, Ojukwu was, indeed, the power of the Igbo people and truly a Dikedioramma (beloved hero). He will be missed by all.”

The Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) said “Chief Ojukwu’s actions in his life time impacted hugely on the history of Nigeria and helped shape the country’s destiny. His endless quest for fairness and justice was reflected in his unmatched love for his people, and the sacrifices he made on their behalf,” while the Oyo State governor, Senator Abiola Ajimobi, operating on the wavelength of Igbo culture, said the late Biafran warlord mirrored the trinity of Igbo character. According to him, the trinity of Igbo character included Akpu uche (cult of reason), Ukwu n’ije (striving and enterprise) and Aka Ikenga (pride of attainment). He added that a good score by an Igbo man in all these three pronounced him to have attained Ntozu (accomplishment/high grade titles), which in turn brings Odenigbo (global acclaim).

In contrast to Ajimobi’s learned cultural discourse, however, former House of Representatives member, Patrick Obahiagbon, enthused in his rather quaint style: “The invitation to the celestial lodge of the soul personality of the irrefrangible and sui generis Ikemba himself—Dim Odumegwo Ojukwu—brings again to focal hiceps and biceps the ephemerality of life. Beyond the state of lachrymoseism, his celestial ascension has, and would, continue to righteously bestir.

“I do hope, however, that we take immutable cognition of the fact that the fundamental issues which Ikemba confronted have now even coagulated and ossified into Gorgon Medusa. For Nigeria to progress, we must apotheosise our centripetal proclivities above our centrifugal excrescence. All hail Ikemba.”

And the Yoruba Council of Elders (YCE), in a tribute which focused on the political dividends of the fallen soldier’s struggle for the Igbo nation within the Nigerian political ecology, said: “He was a political icon and a man greatly needed by many people to build and enhance their respective political influences. He was forthright, courageous, outspoken and a true patriot.”

Former Ogun State governor, Chief Segun Osoba, lamented the passing of the military strongman, but took solace in the fact that he died as a Nigerian rather than a separatist ethnic leader. “He was always passionate about any cause; he was passionate about Nigeria. He fled the country at a point but returned to die a Nigerian.”
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Pukkah: 11:54am On Dec 15, 2011
blacklion:

I think the key issue is to respect the wishes of the founder of the university i.e. Zik, that the university keep the name UNN in perpetuity.

Zik and Ojukwu are two separate individuals.

Both made distinct contributions to Nigeria and to Igboland.

Re-naming an institution founded by Zik after Ojukwu is a gross disrespect to both of their memories

Are we now to look for an institution or something that Ojukwu founded or started? Is that usually the rule in naming public places after deserving individuals?
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by omar22(m): 11:57am On Dec 15, 2011
Nwa Nise, Ekene'm ghi.

Now that’s as much respect as I will accord you for the purpose of this discussion.

Now, I will teach you some manners that will serve you well in your future, Respect! Respect others, not just your elders, but the opinions and wishes of every single man regardless of age as well. I have no obligation whatsoever to prove to you or any other person my ethnicity. You are not Igbo as a result of your personal decision. We are what we are. You might as well have been a descendant of Gen. Adekunle Benjamin (a.k.a Black scorpion) the commander of the much dreaded 3rd marine commandos that took more Biafran lives than any other platoon in that war. Get over yourself and this Igbo blood nonsense. Cheap sentiments would always becloud your sense of reason.

Now! I have always said it that I had a very great respect for Ojukwu until a certain point. When you said steps he took to rescue the Igbos from the slaughter house of the North, I do not disagree with you at all. Infact, I still say it that the greatest thing Ojukwu did in his entire existence was calling back all Easterners living in the North to return home. That was the smartest, logical, reasonable and wisest thing to do at the time. When he called them back, he brought them back into a safety zone. No single Easterner was murdered on Eastern soil during the duration of that pogrom from all accounts.

Now that was the end of his good legacy (as far as I am concerned). I still say it and maintain that the second he declared the independence of Biafra (regardless of the failure of the Aburi accord) without due preparation for the resultant conflict that such a move would cause, he put the same people he had rescued from danger in even greater danger. And even the time he chose to do it (breakaway) even made matters worse. The lives lost in that conflict were not worth it especially since he didn’t believe in the cause enough to die for it. Now I can forgive him for letting power, greed and every other good and bad reason push him to put us in such a precarious situation. Every man has a reason for doing what they do. But what I consider unforgivable was him running away when the battle came to his doorsteps. I can and will never forgive leading the Igbos to a battle and their deaths only to turn around and dessert us. When he ran, it made the sacrifices of the over 2 million Igbos, Niger deltans and all that died on the Biafrann side useless. The people who sing his praises and can genuinely defend their reasons for why they feel that Ojukwu is a hero deserving of all the posthumous awards and accolades, I respect. We don’t have to agree but then again that’s why we all are who we are. Differences of opinions are bound to exist. Infact, opinions are as numerous as there are humans with a brain. Now the people I despise are the zombies such as yourself. People who are born followers. People who just join the crowd and clap and sing without knowing what it is they are clapping about. And what makes your lot even more despicable is the fact that you come into a conversation with your little knowledge and alot of hearsays and try to shove it down the throats of intellectuals. Between the both of us, I have studied manuscripts, articles, books and have firsthand accounts from veterans of that war and drawn my own conclusions on what I "FEEL" went down in that conflict, you on the other hand, all you have is cheap repetitious hearsay arguments that you prolly picked up from beer parlours and other such places where charlatans such as yourself converge. For you to totally exonerate him of any blames in the atrocities of that conflict shows that you have a myopic knowledge of the events surrounding that conflict. Did you know that Ojukwu himself was partly to be blamed for the mass starvation of Biafrans that occurred during that conflict?!

Once more, I would advice you to go home and start reading. I do not need you to agree with me, all I want is for you to have an objective view of events. And just so you know, I Nwa Agwuku Nri that goes by the moniker Okija_juju does not give a rat’s a'ss about "Igbo blood" and other such trivial sentimental bullshi't that most of you ethnic bigots throw around. What have you and your lot done to make Igboland better? Your likes are part of the problem. Over 40 years since that ill-thought conflict ended and not 1 Eastern city is operating at up to 15% of its potentials. Instead of coming out to call a spade a spade you run around beating your chests calling yourselves Nwafors with absolutely nothing to show for it. You are not more Igbo than I am. Go read your history, if Nri is indeed the Anscestral Home of all Igbos as we are told, then I am more igbo than your entire clans blood put together. DO not insult me ever again in your life.

You can come back and have a rational discussion whenever you feel you have enough knowledge on the subject matter and can put aside your sentiments in a conversation.

Have a good day!!

Thank you,

Like they say Information is good, but little information is very dangerous!!!!

you couldnt put it any better!!!
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by blacklion(m): 11:58am On Dec 15, 2011
Pukkah:

Are we now to look for an institution or something that Ojukwu founded or started?  Is that usually the rule in naming public places after deserving individuals?

Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Okijajuju1(m): 12:10pm On Dec 15, 2011
Onlytruth:

Okija_juju,

You keep claiming that you have read books about the things that precipitated the civil war, but you fail woefully to show us how Ojukwu started the civil war. Only mentally deranged humans would buy your theory of secession =declaration of war.
Let me ask you, if Hausa/Fulani secedes from Nigeria today, would you fight them?

However, that is besides the point really. The point is that anyone familiar with Igbo people and mindset, someone with eyes to the ground, can smell from very far that YOU ARE NOT IGBO.
We Igbo are very sane and are NEVER devilishly bitter even against our enemies, not to talk of a man who you admit did some things right at the beginning of the crisis in 1966.
So, just because according to your own false and warped history which no history books corroborate, you harbor this devilish bitterness against the same man you praised for some things he did right? Even to the point of dancing on his corpse before his burial?  undecided undecided
Take a look at this whole Nairaland; out of thousands of Igbos on this forum, how come it is ONLY YOU that harbor this level of bitterness against Ojukwu?
In Igboland, we say that a man who thinks that ALL his kinsmen are mad, that his own madness is worst! undecided
If you are from ANY part of Igboland, you would understand this simple Igbo belief.

What still baffles me is why folks are going about on this site claiming to be Igbo when they are not.
One of these days, you will bleat this nonsense to the face of an Igbo guy who would gladly put you out of your misery.

Eze Ndi Igbo,

Ekene'm ghi!

Why are we still walking down this path of my ethnicity! Fine, I accept the title of Efulefu or Osu! Heck! I am not even Nigerian, what does that account for?! I DO NOT GIVE A Bleep IF YOU and OTHERS DONT FEEL I AM IGBO ENOUGH!  (Eze pardon my Ohafia). That dosent change the colour of the blood in my veins nor the amount in my account!

On the issue of my ethnicity, Eze Onlytruth, If you were born to a Normad fulani jihadist family sir, would you have the nerve to stand up to your people and call them what they are "Terrorists"?! Or would you stick with the "pride", tow their line and join then in their massacre of the infidels?! Would you be able to stand on your own beliefs and speak out against what you FEEL is wrong?!

If you really feel that the Declaration of Biafran Independence from Nigeria was not an indirect declaration/invitation to war, then Eze Onlytruth, you have dissappointed me. I guess you like Ojukwu thought that it would be that easy to create a new country. Well! Eze, these are a few examples of how autonomous secessionist movements such as that of Biafra is an invitation to war;

Congo
In 1960 the State of Katanga declared independence from the Democratic Republic of the Congo. United Nations troops crushed it in Operation Grand Slam.

Brazil
Two southern republican states seceded from Brazil in 1835. Defeated in the War of the Farrapos, they returned in 1845. The slightly earlier cabanagem struggle of Grão-Pará was in part a northern secessionist movement.

Ethiopia
Following the 1993 victory of counterrevolutionary forces in an Ethiopian civil war, Eritrea, which had been united to that country by conquest by Italy, seceded in a United Nations referendum. Secessionist forces in Tigre and elsewhere agreed to continue Ethiopia as a federation.

East Timor
The Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste (also known as East Timor) has been described as having "seceded" from Indonesia.[18][19][20] After Portuguese sovereignty was terminated in 1978, East Timor was occupied by Indonesia. However the United Nations and the International Court of Justice refused to recognize this incorporation. Therefore the resulting civil war and eventual 2002 Timorese vote for complete separation are better described as an independence movement.

Spain
Spain (known officially as "the Kingdom of Spain"wink was assembled in the 15th century from various component kingdoms, of which Portugal seceded in the Portuguese Restoration War while other component kingdoms lost their secession wars.

Switzerland
In 1847 seven disaffected Catholic cantons formed a separate alliance because of moves to change the cantons of Switzerland from a confederation to a more centralized government federation. This effort was crushed in the Sonderbund war and a new Swiss Federal Constitution was created.

Yemen
North Yemen and South Yemen merged in 1990; tensions led to a 1994 southern secession which was crushed in a civil war.

I could keep giving you several instances where "AUTONOMOUS" secessionist movements have been crushed by the use of force or where autonomous secessionist movements have succeeded by persevering through a long war. But one thing you find that is common to all autonomous secessionist movements is VIOLENCE. SO I'm pretty certain that Ojukwu expected that war. Thats why he built his bunkers in Umuahia.

Sut so you understand something, The fact that he took the decision to seceed despite being ill prepared for the battle that he knew would follow is pardonable, what I find unforgivable remains the fact that he wasnt ready to die for the movement. You can forgive that, I cant get over that fact. And the fact that he never did apologise for that war and bailing on us, I also find very annoying. I am entitled to my anger. You are entitled to call him the second son of God. But I am yet to come across any Igbo constitution that says "You must like, love or adore" Ojukwu to be certified Igbo. So Eze, with all due respect to the office you occupy, your opinion about my ethnicity does not matter or have any consequences whatsoever.

If you all love him so much, rename Nnewi after him. But dont try to force me to like him or try to gag me from speaking out my opinions about the man. If he were a Northerner, I would still call him a brave power-drunk coward.

Once more, my regrads Eze Ndi Igbo!

Eze Mmuo Alusi OkijaTM (Agu ji egbe 1 of NRI)
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by olyivy(f): 12:13pm On Dec 15, 2011
Onlytruth:

Okija_juju,

You keep claiming that you have read books about things that precipitated the civil war, but you fail woefully to show us how Ojukwu started the civil war. [/b]Only mentally deranged humans would buy your theory of secession =declaration of war.

However, that is besides the point really. The point is that anyone familiar with Igbo people's mindset, someone with eyes to the ground, can smell from very far that [b]YOU ARE NOT IGBO.

So, just because according to your own false and warped history which no history books corroborate, he failed to die at the war front, you harbor this devilish bitterness against the same man you praised for some things he did right? Even to the point of dancing on his corpse before his burial?  undecided undecided

As for Okija juju,

The best way anyone can fight a group is fighting from the inside.

The guy is no igbo. he might have lived all his life in igboland and speak no other nigerian language but that doesnt make him igbo.

How can he claim to have read and researched and didnt read where Ojukwu was made (by the northern milad) to let the igbos he invited back home from the north to go back only for the northerners to start another round of killings.

His claimed his only beef with Ojukwu is that he did not die in the war? Tell me if there is any igbo person on earth who would want that for any reason at all knowing fully well that killing Ojukwu in the war woulda been the abokis greatest defeat to the igbo race.

Like I said before, there are many like Okija Juju, those whose mother followed hausa soldiers to the north for protection. Hausa have rejected him and igbos rejected him and he is undergoing identity crisis.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by blacklion(m): 12:15pm On Dec 15, 2011
Pls this thread is about maintaining the name of UNN and finding other ways to honour Ojukwu.

Lets not allow it to be derailed by personal egotism.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by KnowAll(m): 12:16pm On Dec 15, 2011
[size=18pt]If that institution changes her name to that of that absconder, The rag-tag degree that would ensue from this degradation and inglorious feat had better be restricted to employment within the SE Region since “OnlyTruth” has equivocally said they are not Nigerians and do not need an institution bearing ‘Nigeria’ located in their area or sphere of influence.

Already, the Abia State Government in her determination to Abianize her economy and State has already sounded the ignored but ever loud warning informing all asunder that it would not offer employment to any other Igbo’s from neighbouring surrounding Igbo State. Obviously that is 4 Core Igbo States minus 1 = 3 eligible employable employees, since other Nigerians are considered as enemies within.[/size]
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by HIPROFILE(m): 12:35pm On Dec 15, 2011
rubish leaders dat dont think before dey act wel i believ unn alumni dey are very strong dey cant c such hapen even mony cant make dem sell thier pride
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by ikkkkk: 1:22pm On Dec 15, 2011
say wetin happen? they wan rename my alma mater? make they go eat shit.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by dagboss(m): 1:41pm On Dec 15, 2011
My take on this-if truly Ojukwu is a hero like the Igbos want other Nigerians to believe, changing UNN to his name should not be a big deal. Are you opponents telling me that UNN is bigger that the Great Ojukwu? What a pity. After all what the hell is the significance of the Nigeria in the name? Does it make it greater than Schools like OAU or even Uniben UI or ABU. There is absolutely nothing spectacular about the school. I had the opportunity to visit the campus sometimes late 1979 together with my late uncle who was a Champion Brewery Uyo distributor. On our way to Uyo We branched at the campus to see his friend who also comes from our home town, he was reading one education course that time. That evening he took us to their main Cafeteria which was so rowdy like a prison cafe and they served boiled yam with  stew that looked like the poo of a goat that is suffering from congenital diarrhea. grin grin grin grin I  left the food untouched.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by ZE: 1:48pm On Dec 15, 2011
olyivy:

Like I said before, there are many like Okija Juju, those whose mother followed hausa soldiers to the north for protection. Hausa have rejected him and igbos rejected him and he is undergoing identity crisis.

Igbo people call bastar-ds like that BAT(usu)

"usu abughi anu elu, abughi anu ala"
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by jerk: 1:59pm On Dec 15, 2011
dagboss:

My take on this-if truly Ojukwu is a hero like the Igbos want other Nigerians to believe, changing UNN to his name should not be a big deal. Are you opponents telling me that UNN is bigger that the Great Ojukwu? What a pity. After all what the hell is the significance of the Nigeria in the name? Does it make it greater than Schools like OAU or even Uniben UI or ABU. There is absolutely nothing spectacular about the school. I had the opportunity to visit the campus sometimes late 1979 together with my late uncle who was a Champion Brewery Uyo distributor. On our way to Uyo We branched at the campus to see his friend who also comes from our home town, he was reading one education course that time. That evening he took us to their main Cafeteria which was so rowdy like a prison cafe and they served boiled yam with stew that looked like the poo of a goat that is suffering from congenital diarrhea. grin grin grin grin I left the food untouched.
you tried shaa,bt dnt tell me that you left the food or not coz thats nt what i wnt to hear.
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Okijajuju1(m): 4:26pm On Dec 15, 2011
olyivy:

As for Okija juju,

The best way anyone can fight a group is fighting from the inside.

The guy is no igbo. he might have lived all his life in igboland and speak no other nigerian language but that doesnt make him igbo.

How can he claim to have read and researched and didnt read where Ojukwu was made (by the northern milad) to let the igbos he invited back home from the north to go back only for the northerners to start another round of killings.

His claimed his only beef with Ojukwu is that he did not die in the war? Tell me if there is any igbo person on earth who would want that for any reason at all knowing fully well that killing Ojukwu in the war woulda been the abokis greatest defeat to the igbo race.

Aunty!! Wether Ojukwu died or ran away as he did, does not change the fact that Biafra lost that war.

I am happy that all Igbos are not like you, if not I would have cursed Igboland and walked away from it without looking back.

S'tupid LovePeddler decendant of a frus'trated Upper Iweka pro'stitute mother like you talking about my mother in a conversation. Your leprous father and your anally fistulated mother and your entire diseased clan are not fit to talk about any Nri person. You little urchin. I agree my mother followed the Northern soldiers away for protection. Atleast she has her dignity intact onlike your mother, aunties and grandmothers that were passed around like the cheap LovePeddler that they were to all the Biafran soldiers on the frontlines to anally and orally r'ape and use as a moral booster. What bastard father inseminated your tramp of a grandmother and continued your linage of cheap pros'tituting women?! If you had any shame left (which I greatly doubt), you would commit suicide or cut your acursed womb off and do the world a favor of ridding it of the curse that is your linage.

Anuofia! You are not afraid to talk about a princess of Nri Kingdom with your rotten mouth. You filthy pig! You dare talk about a daughter of Nri kingdom like that! Your luck is that civilization has caught up with us, your slave tribe would have been drown in the Niger river for this. Let me tell you now, wether you think you think I am Igbo or not will not stop your mother from sleeping with that Onitsha spare part dealers apprentice. If all you have to talk about is my being non-Igbo then I suggest you delete your Nairaland account because that is a stale argument and has aboslutely no importance in this discussion. Meanwhile, you may want to go assist your mother graduate from turning tricks every night at Iweka market to a brothel.

Atulu! This is the last time I would address an Osu! Royalty and peasants have got nothing to talk about! angry
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by Okijajuju1(m): 4:30pm On Dec 15, 2011
ZE:

Igbo people call bastar-ds like that BAT(usu)

"usu abughi anu elu, abughi anu ala"

If I had a dollar for everytime I've heard that Usu proverb, I would be richer than Bill gates!! Try a new line.

A bat may not be a bird or a land animal, but its unique and none of you can dare venture into the places that it would. Being unique has never been a bad thing and I'm glad I am unique. Fuc'king Vultures! angry
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by ak47mann(m): 5:35pm On Dec 15, 2011
all these fake igbos everywhere, is like is time for seeds to grow and watch them crawling out from the soil one by one,like in horror movies cool cool cool
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by dayokanu(m): 6:07pm On Dec 15, 2011
Okija_juju:

Eze Ndi Igbo,

Ekene'm ghi!

Why are we still walking down this path of my ethnicity! Fine, I accept the title of Efulefu or Osu! Heck! I am not even Nigerian, what does that account for?! I DO NOT GIVE A Bleep IF YOU and OTHERS DONT FEEL I AM IGBO ENOUGH! (Eze pardon my Ohafia). That dosent change the colour of the blood in my veins nor the amount in my account!

On the issue of my ethnicity, Eze Onlytruth, If you were born to a Normad fulani jihadist family sir, would you have the nerve to stand up to your people and call them what they are "Terrorists"?! Or would you stick with the "pride", tow their line and join then in their massacre of the infidels?! Would you be able to stand on your own beliefs and speak out against what you FEEL is wrong?!

If you really feel that the Declaration of Biafran Independence from Nigeria was not an indirect declaration/invitation to war, then Eze Onlytruth, you have dissappointed me. I guess you like Ojukwu thought that it would be that easy to create a new country. Well! Eze, these are a few examples of how autonomous secessionist movements such as that of Biafra is an invitation to war;

I could keep giving you several instances where "AUTONOMOUS" secessionist movements have been crushed by the use of force or where autonomous secessionist movements have succeeded by persevering through a long war. But one thing you find that is common to all autonomous secessionist movements is VIOLENCE. SO I'm pretty certain that Ojukwu expected that war. Thats why he built his bunkers in Umuahia.

Sut so you understand something, The fact that he took the decision to seceed despite being ill prepared for the battle that he knew would follow is pardonable, what I find unforgivable remains the fact that he wasnt ready to die for the movement. You can forgive that, I cant get over that fact. And the fact that he never did apologise for that war and bailing on us, I also find very annoying. I am entitled to my anger. You are entitled to call him the second son of God. But I am yet to come across any Igbo constitution that says "You must like, love or adore" Ojukwu to be certified Igbo. So Eze, with all due respect to the office you occupy, your opinion about my ethnicity does not matter or have any consequences whatsoever.

If you all love him so much, rename Nnewi after him. But dont try to force me to like him or try to gag me from speaking out my opinions about the man. If he were a Northerner, I would still call him a brave power-drunk coward.

Once more, my regrads Eze Ndi Igbo!

Eze Mmuo Alusi OkijaTM (Agu ji egbe 1 of NRI)

Okija Kudos to you.

You have shown beyond all doubt that you present facts to back up your arguments and not unecesary emotions

Which country would secede without a war or referendum

You should go and ask how Yugoslavia broke into pieces
Re: Don’t Name UNN After Ojukwu, Alumni Warn FG by houvest: 6:13pm On Dec 15, 2011
dagboss:

My take on this-if truly Ojukwu is a hero like the Igbos want other Nigerians to believe, changing UNN to his name should not be a big deal. Are you opponents telling me that UNN is bigger that the Great Ojukwu? What a pity. After all what the hell is the significance of the Nigeria in the name? Does it make it greater than Schools like OAU or even Uniben UI or ABU. There is absolutely nothing spectacular about the school. I had the opportunity to visit the campus sometimes late 1979 together with my late uncle who was a Champion Brewery Uyo distributor. On our way to Uyo We branched at the campus to see his friend who also comes from our home town, he was reading one education course that time. That evening he took us to their main Cafeteria which was so rowdy like a prison cafe and they served boiled yam with  stew that looked like the poo of a goat that is suffering from congenital diarrhea. grin grin grin grin I  left the food untouched.

1979. Wow. 32 years ago. Assuming you were between 10 and 20 years of age then, that makes you between 42 and 52 years old now. Clearly at your age, you are expected to be wiser. My dear brother, Would you not respect your age instead of posting the kind of thing you did there. How would the younger ones learn to respect others if the older ones have no such courtesies? So you made a one day stop over at UNN 32 years ago and that has made you an expert in judging its greatness 32 years after. So the food in the cafe was like crap, and so what? All the great men she has produced ate them and they did not affect their productivity . That your townsman did not quit the school, did he? He completed his programme and is probably  a great man today. OMG. Does the cloak of anonymity on NL make folks to throw away all forms of sensibilities? Did anybody talk about OAU or ABU or Uniben here? If the name Nigeria is insignificant, why are folks killing themselves over it? On the other hand, If it is so important to be in Abuja, then rename UNN University of Biafra to maintain the vision of the founding fathers. That will be a greater honour to Ojukwu.

So in the logic of posters here, the test of the loyalty of Igbos to Ojukwu is in their agreeing to let go of the name Nigeria  in UNN for Ojukwu. LMAO.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Getting The Right Case Study For Your Project Topic https://15projects.com/ / 10th National Assembly Lawmakers Push For 32 New Federal Higher Institutions / Six Creatures We Thought Are/were Real.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.