Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,209 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? (17613 Views)

Living With Parents After Wedding / Advice From Parents After Cynthia-Osokogu's Death / Why Do Some People Abandon Their Parents After Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 16, 2011
@da doc, u get job at all?
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by omar22(m): 12:49pm On Dec 16, 2011
Its a common thing among the Asians and some Igbos

Atleast the mother-in-law would have the chance to do a full scaled credit check or scoring on her new daughter-in-law
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by snthesis(m): 12:52pm On Dec 16, 2011
some peeps wud rather save the money for rent to build their own home.
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by aribisala0(m): 12:54pm On Dec 16, 2011
Modern women in general tend to be quite selfish and mercenary .They often choose those aspects of western culture that suit their selfish agenda.
This "me and my husband" thing is quite new and alien to our culture.
In theory there is nothing wrong with it(living with parents) though there may be practical diffficulties in individual cases based on their peculiar circumstances. If the parents are respectful and not difficult to get on with no problem. On the other hand many people these days cannot live peacefully with their own parents even before getting married and such instances are unlikely to work.
I think any real African man should be wary of a woman who encourages him to keep a distance from his roots. I know we are moving into this [b]"me and my wife our kids,our generator and our borehole behind our wall and gate" [/b]mentality but it is an illusion.
There are very few people who will really die for you. It is wisdom to know who they are
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by benzion72(m): 12:58pm On Dec 16, 2011
Ladies, women are difficult breeds and species. They always forget that they will one day become a mother in law. Thank God nobody mention father in law here lol
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by Maisuya1: 1:00pm On Dec 16, 2011
B4 I start my wife just gave birth to a bouncing baby boy grin

I am the only male child in my family, we have a massive house, all my sisters are all married and my dad is late, only my youngest sis and my mum live in that big house. When I got married last year I lived at the family house with my wife for close to 8 months not because my mum asked for it but she liked it nonetheless, I SEE NOTHING WRONG IN THAT.

Although I now live in my own house now with my wife, she didnt complain then. And u r not proving a thing living alone, they r ur parents. It's not about being weak coz I studied and stayed abroad alone for some years before returning to the nija.

Bottom line, they r ur parents they just have some few years left to live (even if it's 20 yrs more) if living with them makes them happy, why not. After they pass on u have the rest of ur life for urself, u can go live on Pluto for all anyone cares. And those girls complaining, the essence of marriage is sacrifice and if u can't sacrifice to share those few years with ur mother inlaw, then u r starting ur marriage life on the wrong footing. Just my thout

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by omar22(m): 1:01pm On Dec 16, 2011
The problem here is that the woman or wife is happy her mother to come and live with them forever
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 16, 2011
Da Doctor:

THE CASTLE IS THE GUYS HERITAGE, NO DOUBT. BUT FRO THE SAKE OF 'INDEPENDENCE', IF THE FATHER LIKES HIM. HE SHUD GET HIM A PLACE. BUY HIM A BUNGALOW. OR CANT HE AFFORD IT.

ALOT IS WRONG WITH IT OH. SO MANY 'VOICES' ,'HANDS' AND 'HEADS' WOULD BE ON THE MARRIAGE

Anyway, all man with him style
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by omar22(m): 1:05pm On Dec 16, 2011
This is something you wont find among the Indians because the wife knows that one day they would be in the same position sometime the future, because they protect their sons like gold dust,
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by RuuDie(m): 1:25pm On Dec 16, 2011
Is anybody even considering the fact that the dude might be so dead-broke he can't afford a place of his own!!!?

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by jaybee3(m): 1:26pm On Dec 16, 2011
RuuDie:

Is anybody even considering the fact that the dude might be so dead-broke he can't afford a place of his own!!!?
Why marry if that's the case

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by Wislet(f): 1:47pm On Dec 16, 2011
Mai-suya:

I am the only male child in my family, we have a massive house, all my sisters are all married and my dad is late, only my youngest sis and my mum live in that big house. When I got married last year I lived at the family house with my wife for close to 8 months not because my mum asked for it but she liked it nonetheless, I SEE NOTHING WRONG IN THAT.

Although I now live in my own house now with my wife, she didnt complain then. And u r not proving a thing living alone, they r your parents. It's not about being weak coz I studied and stayed abroad alone for some years before returning to the nija.

Bottom line, they r your parents they just have some few years left to live (even if it's 20 yrs more) if living with them makes them happy, why not. After they pass on u have the rest of your life for urself, u can go live on Pluto for all anyone cares. And those girls complaining, the essence of marriage is sacrifice and if u can't sacrifice to share those few years with your mother inlaw, then u r starting your marriage life on the wrong footing. Just my thout
Congratulations on your new babe. Say hi to him from a big aunty smiley
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by Bestglo(f): 1:57pm On Dec 16, 2011
Married and still living with parents gone are those days 4 sure
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by yme1(f): 1:59pm On Dec 16, 2011
Ehnnnnn abeg ooo, so what about the se. x in the couch, kitchen, floor, bathroom etc and walk around the house in a sexy lingerie or na. .ked? that won't happen if we live in the same house with the parents undecided  cheesy cheesy

Seriously, the bible says a man shall leave the mum and dad and be joined to his wife and that includes not living with them in the same house in my own little interpretation tongue, but that doesn't make him distant from his parents, its just about being a man of his own and the head of his house which will be quite difficult if he lives with the parents

I personally don't think its right for married couples to live with the parents, the privacy will disappear instantly and believe me when it comes to couples(marriage) that is more than important.
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by Bawss1(m): 2:01pm On Dec 16, 2011
Mai-suya:

Although I now live in my own house now with my wife, she didnt complain then.[b] And u r not proving a thing living alone, they r your parents. [/b]It's not about being weak coz I studied and stayed abroad alone for some years before returning to the nija.

Bottom line, they r your parents they just have some few years left to live (even if it's 20 yrs more) if living with them makes them happy, why not. After they pass on u have the rest of your life for urself, u can go live on Pluto for all anyone cares. And those girls complaining, the essence of marriage is sacrifice and if u can't sacrifice to share those few years with your mother inlaw, then u r starting your marriage life on the wrong footing. Just my thout

Says who? The only reason any adult should be living with his or her parents is if they are bankrupt. It is this culture of living with one's parent's that fosters all kinds of unhealthy perspectives and quarrels besides giving a sense of false comfort. We are all in this world to make something of ourselves so living off the efforts of one's parents (by still living in their house) is at odds with this objective.
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by omar22(m): 2:07pm On Dec 16, 2011
the bible says a man shall leave the mum and dad and be joined to his wife and that includes not living with them in the same house in my own little interpretation

Where does it say so ?
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by DaDoctor: 2:16pm On Dec 16, 2011
Boyloaf:

@da doc, u get job at all?

HAVE U ASKED BROS GOOGLE!!
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 16, 2011
jay bee:

Why marry if that's the case

Lolll.
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by yme1(f): 2:17pm On Dec 16, 2011
omar22:

Where does it say?

New International Version (©1984)
For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh. Genesis 2:24

and please don't tell me u didn't notice the little sarcasm there which was represented by the *tongue* emoticon and the "interpretation" thingy undecided
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by otokx(m): 2:26pm On Dec 16, 2011
It depends
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by kizito96(m): 2:28pm On Dec 16, 2011
That must be a stupid idea
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by omar22(m): 2:33pm On Dec 16, 2011
New International Version (©1984)
For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh. Genesis 2:24

and please don't tell me u didn't notice the little sarcasm there which was represented by the *tongue* emoticon and the "interpretation" thingy

Nope!!!

I was going to say Issac lived with Abraham and Sarah

Esau and his 2 wives lived with Issac and Rebecca till their death

Jacob and his children lived with him with their family (apart from Joseph)
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by Baawaa(m): 2:56pm On Dec 16, 2011
@rokiatu,dat show ur attitude is bad,there is notin bad in staying wt ur in-law!A gud wife wil never say dis
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by ifihearam: 3:00pm On Dec 16, 2011
Na only yoruba men dey do these things.
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Dec 16, 2011
Bawss1:

Says who? The only reason any adult should be living with his or her parents is if they are bankrupt. It is this culture of living with one's parent's that fosters all kinds of unhealthy perspectives and quarrels besides giving a sense of false comfort. We are all in this world to make something of ourselves so living off the efforts of one's parents (by still living in their house) is at odds with this objective.

I think I kind of agree with him.

For me the only reason I wont do it because I know myself and I know many people will frown at some of my 'habits' and I dont want wahala.

But if it's just for a while and the wife doesn't mind, then it's not really the end of the world!
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by aribisala0(m): 3:04pm On Dec 16, 2011
firstly the bible says so many silly things e.g.
Deuteronomy 25:11-12

New International Version (NIV)

11 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, a[b]nd she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts[/b], 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.

i guess to have a law about it means too many Jewish women were reaching out and grabbing blocoses grin

so to quote the bible to non-believers like me is a further exercise in stupidity.

The Jews were always a tribal polygamous people and so the concept of l[b]eaving parents to join with a spouse [/b]cannot be interpreted to mean moving away or staying together and  has NOTHING to do with where they lived. One cannot interpret translations of the Bible(which is what the English language version is) without an understanding of Judaism religion and culture when it was written.
Take Jacob the father of the Israelites who moved with his 11 sons to join Joseph in Egypt complete with their wives children and oxen!! Were they living together YES probably NOT in the same tent and maybe not 5hitting in the same hole but hey!

The practicality of doing this is another thing. In a world of 7billion people how many people can indulge in this fantasy. The idea of a man wife two kids and  a dog in big house is a big dream I know of at least one house where over 100 people live in lagos;grandparents parents cousins etc. The real Nigeria does not indulge dreamers
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by MARKREN: 3:10pm On Dec 16, 2011
There is nothing wrong with it.

The problem is that most ladies want to prove to everyone that the house belongs to "them".

I put it to those whose are making it look like a sacrilege : Would you prefer to keep your parents to be in an old peoples home or to stay with you so that you can look after them.

Besides I come from the southeast. It is the responsibility of the children (especially the first son) to look after his parents if they can no longer cater for themselves. If he can afford to pay for their upkeep (Rent if they live in the town, Etc) separately fine, If situation forces him to move them to his house I see not problem in that.

I believe understanding is what counts here.

I also know of rich families where the sons still live with their parents after marriage in different houses but in the same compound. I wonder if the wife will object knowing fully well what paying rent in Lagos means.

Besides in the Bible there are various accounts in the old testament where sons with their wives still lived with their parents.

In most villages generaion of families live in the same compound , Grandfather with his wife, Fathers with their wives, Sons with his wives, and there were no problems. In our craze for modernization we seem to forget where we come from.
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by andyanders: 3:42pm On Dec 16, 2011
It looks stup=id to me cos no right thinking woman will ever accept that, unless a gold digger who has some plans if the inlaws are rich.
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by IbroSaunks(m): 3:45pm On Dec 16, 2011
i think they call that, "failure to launch",
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by aribisala0(m): 3:47pm On Dec 16, 2011
Accepting does not even come into it
Most Nigerians and i mean most don't have a choice.
I guess this discussion concerns middle class people. Many families in urban Nigeria,Lagos especially live in a single room . Yes,one room with 14 people and many more sleeping in the corridors.

I often wonder how well people know their own country
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Dec 16, 2011
think abt couples stayin away frm ther parents bt family members will always come arnd @ intervals especially wen d husband hold some peper 4 pocket & does nt av a mind of his own. Dats another problem. Wht a good lady shuld pray 4 is a husband who will appreciate her, stand by her & has an independent mind even if he s stayn wt hs wife in hs fathers house. Suffice to say dt its beter dey live independently bt dats nt an end in itself, Sum families styl poke noses no mater wht.
Re: What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? by cantell(m): 4:04pm On Dec 16, 2011
Ujujoan:

She can cook a meal with too much salt, burn the stew, add too much water to the soup and the husband will only grumble and still eat it!

Dis one na bad cook! Love has nothing to do with it.
Mai-suya:

And those girls complaining, the essence of marriage is sacrifice and if u can't sacrifice to share those few years with your mother inlaw, then u r starting your marriage life on the wrong footing. Just my thought.
Right on point bro!
Marriage is all about sacrifice cos a lot depends on it. An educated man can marry an illiterate woman and they can still live together happily. It depends on what the two can bear.
Secondly, living with one's parents doesn't necessarily mean sharing the same room or flat with them.
It could be a family house with several other buildings in it.
I don't live with my parents, hell i don't even live in the same city with them! But if there's need to stay with them even if i'm married, i'll do just that.
My hubby should be able to understand.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians And Hypocrisy / Nigerian Couple Welcome Twins After 13 Years Of Marriage / Is Obsession Sign Of Love In A Relationship?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.