Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,968 members, 7,814,263 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo (13841 Views)

Jonathan Cautions Aides Against Attacking Obasanjo / Dame Patience Jonathan Cautions Envoys' Wives Over Utterances / Jonathan Cautions Against Threat To Peace In Guinea Bissau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by HighChief4(m): 2:46pm On Dec 15, 2011

THE race as to who succeeds President Goodluck Jonathan in 2015 when he would have completed his first tenure in office seems to have been kick started by impatient politicians from the North who are members of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

National Daily sources disclosed that Vice President Namadi Sambo may have thrown his hat into the ring before the umpires whistle actually begins. It was gathered that Sambo firmly believes in the philosophy which submits that “a new election begins soon after the previous election” because electoral exercise in a populous country like Nigeria requires some reasonable number of years for a candidate to make credible impact.

The sign that Vice President Namadi Sambo nurses the ambition to succeed President Jonathan in 2015 was unveiled at the September 8, 2011 meeting of the Northern zone of the Peoples Democratic Party where youths wore face cap and T-Shirts with “The Promise” the campaign slogan of the vice president emblazoned on it. The youth on arrival at the meeting venue made a rowdy noise as they shouted “Sai Sambo” endlessly around the place.

Vice President Sambo's associates and some PDP chieftains from the North were said to have openly canvassed for support for Sambo's alleged presidential project on that day.

Jonathan has not officially declared Sambo as his successor but sources concluded that the President is not specifically against Sambo's candidature, but this is not the right time to discuss the issue of successor.

Caution

“The manner of the President's reference to Sambo at both private and public functions has made party official and Aso Rock staff to start speculating on the president's choice but the president for now does not wish to make it an open affair. I think he is unhappy over Sambo's early political activities, he does not want him to jump the gun.” A competent source said.

National Daily learned that President Jonathan was disturbed by the news of Sambo's perceived launch of 2015 presidential campaign and hinted that he was averse to the distraction of political campaign and was said to have considered Sambo's subtle presidential moves as a major distraction for the presidency.

Sources said that the President made known his feeling to his Deputy few days after the meeting of PDP Northern zone when he allegedly had a chat with Sambo and was said to have cautioned him against further acts capable of distracting the presidency and also give wrong signals to other ambitious politicians across the country.

“The Vice President was said to have become sober after the meeting, he seemed to have realized that he made a tactical mistake. He was said to have personally apologized to the president and convinced the PDP Acting National Chairman, Alhaji Kawu Baraje to also apologize to the President on his behalf.”

The Vice President proceeded to issue a statement denying any suggestion of a campaign launch and for a long time retreated to his self. However, it is said that a Leopard does not change its spot. At the recently held Arewa conference on Peace and Unity in Kaduna where Sambo represented Jonathan, the impression was still created that the vice president is the “2015 Presidency promise to the North”.

“As soon as Namadi Sambo arrived at the Murtala Square, Kaduna, venue of the Conference, shouts of “Sai Sambo and “the promise” rented the air. The guest at the occasion including ordinary citizens from the North perceived Sambo to be “the promise” of a northern president in 2015. In fact some of the guests were said to have openly referred to Sambo as “the President in the waiting.” Our source said.

Pressures

National Daily gathered that indeed some Northern influential politicians have started mounting pressures on Sambo to tacitly prepare for the presidency in 2015. They allegedly told the Vice President that he is the brightest chance of northern presidency arguing that he enjoys the power of incumbency and that no other candidate from the north will muster the kind of political clout and goodwill like himself to upstage the rival parties who may decide to field a strong candidate from the east.

Vice President Namadi Sambo is said to enjoy close relationship with Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero, Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa'aad Abubakar and former Civilian President, Alhaji Shehu Shagari.

However, the Vice President was said to have avoided personal indication on his presidential ambition for fear of reprisal from Jonathan and the South-east who are still studding the political environment and does not want to make strong agitation for the presidency in other not to distract Jonathan who got massive support from the Zone.

Competent sources said that a though president Goodluck Jonathan has not given a serious thought on the issue of his successor in 2015, he is said to be all the same concerned about the agitation of the Igbos who massively voted for him in the April 2011, elections.

“The President would not want to be seen as an ungrateful person if he does anything to block the aspiration of the Igbos. He is not unaware that the North has held power for about 38 years, the Yoruba mounted the saddle for twelve year, 2015 it may seem is clearly the turn of Igbos as Jonathan from South-South is the incumbent president.

The Igbos will prefer a second term for Jonathan than support a northerner succeeding him in 2015.” Our sources said adding “I am not inferring that Jonathan has closed the door of 2015 presidency against the North, I am only talking about his present dilemma. I know he has tremendous respect for some northern and their ability to lead the country in 2015”.

Dangote angle

National Daily sources disclosed that one of those northerners who enjoy the president's respect and may get his endorsement for the 2015 presidency battle is business mogul, Alhaji Aliko Dangote. 'The President and the industrialist have become very close and insiders are wondering if it is only a relationship based on economy interest.

Dangote is always seen in Aso Rock, the seat of federal government these days. The president seemed have fueled such speculation with his recent appointment of Dangote as a member of the economic team, chairman of the strategic employment creation committee and made him one of the few private sector operatives ever to be awarded the Grand Commander of the Order of Niger, (GCON), the second highest national honour. The president was full of encomium for Dangote during the award presentation.

“Dangote is a special entrepreneur who employs more 20,000 Nigerians. For us in Aso Rock, this is something uncommon,” the President said. The interpretation in certain quarters is that Jonathan is preparing Dangote for higher responsibilities which some Analyst say is the presidency. Two camps now exist in Aso Rock, the Namadi Sambo camp and Aliko Dangote camp.

However, source close to President Jonathan dismiss the Dangote option as mere speculation asking how can a business man of such stature abandon his business for politics?

Namadi Sambo and Aliko Dangote are not the only two chieftains of PDP who have been linked to the presidency in 2015. There is Alhaji Abubakar Atiku, who is said to be nursing the ambition of giving the presidency a third shot. Atiku had the best chance of winning the presidential election in 2003 but apparently failed because he cross carpeted to the nascent Action Congress because of his disagreement with Chief Olusegun Obasanjo in 2011 he scampered back to PDP after being endorsed by some conservative northern leaders.

Now, Atiku is said to be mending faces, building new bridges and gathering additional war chest to prosecute his 2015 political ambition.

Meanwhile, competent sources have revealed that the recent positive moves by the Arewa Consultative Forum, ACF, to organize a peace and unity conference is said to have been inspired by Sambo. It was not only geared at finding solution to the Boko Haram problem but an effort to galvanize the north towards presenting a common front and to avoid anything that will portray the region as being the source of the nation's persistent crisis.

This he foresaw, could create insurmountable instability and may ultimately led to the dismembering of the country as predicted by United States analyst.

Vice President Sambo believes that a stitch in time saves nine: for the North, nation and his 2015 presidential ambition

http://www.nationaldailyngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2299:2015-presidency-jonathan-cautions-sambo&catid=310:current-edition&Itemid=542
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by HighChief4(m): 2:49pm On Dec 15, 2011
Am sure GEJ might want to endorse Dangote, from the look of things
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by houvest: 8:03pm On Dec 15, 2011
High_Chief:

Reason being that, - ---
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 15, 2011
Sambo looks dumber than gej
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by Rhino5dm: 8:46pm On Dec 15, 2011
I thought GEJ is gonna hand over to the SE? So, Sambo is going to run his 2 terms which ends by 2023 . . . .I no fit shout!
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by houvest: 8:57pm On Dec 15, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

I thought GEJ is gonna hand over to the SE? So, Sambo is going to run his 2 terms which ends by 2023 . . . .I no fit shout!

And what did that thought base on?
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by antartica(m): 9:15pm On Dec 15, 2011
A northern cattle herder like atiku can never rule nigeria again. If by any chance that happens,nigeria will come to abrupt end. Nigeria cannot afford to go backward any more as a country. If the country must be one,there must be a good justification for that.
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by cashmentor(m): 9:47pm On Dec 15, 2011
antartica:

A northern cattle herder like atiku can never rule nigeria again. If by any chance that happens,nigeria will come to abrupt end. Nigeria cannot afford to go backward any more as a country. If the country must be one,there must be a good justification for that.
how fast is the Country currently moving forward? Atiku CAN be President, only one Man is stoping him, though he is not God,
Rhino.5dm:

I thought GEJ is gonna hand over to the SE?
Me too O! Buh i bet the North won't allow that, With d death of the last northern Presidnt, the north right now are like wounded lions, Just sitting down and watching Power slip away from them, If d SE could give it a tough fight, they might get lucky, equally, i doubt if that will happen too, i mean with Ojukwu dead and SE not being able 2 decide COLLECTIVELY, who and Wat they realy want 2 be president from their various zones,
High_Chief:

He'll be the Best President Africa ever had!
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by dayokanu(m): 9:55pm On Dec 15, 2011
Maybe Retardeen sef wan do second term
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by houvest: 10:28pm On Dec 15, 2011
cashmentor:

how fast is the Country currently moving forward? Atiku CAN be President, only one Man is stoping him, though he is not God, Me too O! Buh i bet the North won't allow that, With d death of the last northern Presidnt, the north right now are like wounded lions, Just sitting down and watching Power slip away from them, If d SE could give it a tough fight, they might get lucky, equally, i doubt if that will happen too, i mean with Ojukwu dead and SE not being able 2 decide COLLECTIVELY, who and Wat they realy want 2 be president from their various zones,

He'll be the Best President Africa ever had!

At the first bolded prof please which president became one because his G Zone were able to decide collectively for him to be president? Please educate me. At the second bolded, how so? Does being a successful bizman authomatically translate to becoming a great president?
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by Rhino5dm: 12:24am On Dec 16, 2011
Good you decode my sacarsm. I actually wanted to know whether zoning has been murdered or still alive. grin

cashmentor:

Me too O! Buh i bet the North won't allow that, With d death of the last northern Presidnt, the north right now are like wounded lions, Just sitting down and watching Power slip away from them, If d SE could give it a tough fight, they might get lucky, equally, i doubt if that will happen too, i mean with Ojukwu dead and SE not being able 2 decide COLLECTIVELY, who and Wat they realy want 2 be president from their various zones.
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by cashmentor(m): 2:08pm On Dec 16, 2011
houvest:

At the first bolded prof please which president became one because his G Zone were able to decide collectively for him to be president? Please educate me. At the second bolded, how so? Does being a successful bizman authomatically translate to becoming a great president?
the south east needs to stand up with 1 mouth and decide on who they want 2 b their presidential candidate, but instead, all d governors and senators wants d presidential ticket, thus, u see so much back stabbing and betrayers going on just like in the days of the Civil war! I bet if they stand 2gether just like they all stood 4 Joe, with 1 voice, 1 candidate and 1 aim, the presido is theirs?
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 16, 2011
What makes you people think Oga Jona will not go for second term? As for the S.E they should forget Presidency for years to come because Goodluck Jonathan is representing them for now. After GEJ it will be the north's turn and then S.W if Nigeria is still united by that time
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by cashmentor(m): 2:25pm On Dec 16, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Good you decode my sacarsm.  I actually wanted to know whether zoning has been murdered or still alive. grin

constitutionaly, zoning is dead! Publicly and openly! Even our politicians hate zoning! Within our legistators and law makers, zoning is dead and buried, Buh verily, verily i say unto u, when every other Nigerians sleep in their homes, in the middle of the nite somewhere in a meeting, zoning is being discussed, decided, planted and alive, Why? Nigeria is a country where men rule and rules are being made at nite!
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by Nobody: 4:19pm On Dec 16, 2011
I will vote for SAMBO not PDP,
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by maclatunji: 4:22pm On Dec 16, 2011
HAHHAHAHHAHAHAAH! I laugh in Polynesian!
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by ismhab(m): 4:29pm On Dec 16, 2011
An igbo man will never become the president of Nigeria by the grace of God. Due to, !!!! Ehm
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by lafuria1(m): 4:31pm On Dec 16, 2011
To hell with PDP. No wonder pdp believes they will rule 9ja 4 60years. Pple are askin 4 regime change but we na continuity becos na our turn 2 rule drama.
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by norrisman: 4:39pm On Dec 16, 2011
1 party state
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by Baawaa(m): 4:45pm On Dec 16, 2011
2015 Nigeria may break:USA
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by talktrue1(m): 4:59pm On Dec 16, 2011
Its terrible
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by MMJ(m): 5:02pm On Dec 16, 2011
Let him carry his master along if he wants to succeed.

Atiku did the same and failed
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by dboss4life: 5:02pm On Dec 16, 2011
IF GEJ HANDS OVER POWER TO DANGOTE BY 2015, THAT WILL BE D BEST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO NIGERIA SINCE INDEPENDENCE because I CAN BEAT MY CHEST AND TELL THAT IF POWER IS HANDED OVER TO DANGOTE BY 2015, NIGERIA MIGHT BE D NEXT WORLD POWER BY 2020.

DANGOTE HAS GOT ALL THE QUALITIES TO MOVE NIGERIA FORWARD (AM NOT CAMPAIGNING FOR HIM) AM ONLY SPEAKING THE TRUTH. DANGOTE IS A FORCE TO RECKON WITH IN NIGERIA, THE MAN IS A BUNDLE OF TALENT AND SO ENTERPRISING.

IT IS NOT EASY TO BE THE 50TH RICHEST MAN IN D WORLD AND ALSO BE THE RICHEST MAN IN AFRICA, D MAN IS HERO, I RAISE MY CAP FOR HIM.
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by kizito96(m): 5:05pm On Dec 16, 2011
Sambo will be worst than Jonathan. Sambo is a weakling. The north can produce better candidates. Sanusi is a better candidate, and Fashola should deputize him. this will transform Nigeria
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by moderattor: 5:09pm On Dec 16, 2011
as long as GEJ is there,
it must be a free and fair election,
as long as its free and fair,
the north can never smell it again for 98yrs!
They bera live with that.
Buhari and boko haram have shut out all their chances!
There is nothing like zoning again.
If any candidate credibly makes sense
we vote him hands and legs (98 percent votes: check april election statistics).
If GEJ is not comming out again, sullivan chime, rochas, fashola dey.
Nothing dey happen.
As long as obj is alife there can be no military coup.
As long as GEJ remains in good terms with the US
his administration is ending in 2019.
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by Funkymallam(m): 5:11pm On Dec 16, 2011
I laff wen ppl tok of d possibility of Aliko Dangote becoming president, that is d least of his worries and he would never be interested.
As for 'the promise', he is being groomed but he needs to b more tactical and smart, bcause men in pdp wont give him an easy ride.
Wen i read hw the pdp v turned Nigeria into a personal commodity, that they decides who and who gets what position and for hw long, i weep for my country!
Where are the oppositions? The pdp v succeded in rendering the oppositions to a mere regional parties such as :
CPC = parts of North
ACN = SW
APGA = part of SE.
If these three parties can come together, to form a new, real national party, i tell u, pdp will become history. But until then, lets enjoy woteva they throw @ us. embarassed
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by moderattor: 5:20pm On Dec 16, 2011
kizito96:

The north can produce better candidates. Sanusi[b](islamic banker + N10,000 minimum savings account opening balance)[/b] is a better candidate, and Fashola[b](another muslim)[/b] should deputize him. this will transform Nigeria
guy are you still on the failed islamise nigeria agenda?
If fashola doesnt pick a christian we accept(not muslim-born-christian like bakare) he is done with in 2015.
So far, GEJ is still our best candidate and still deserving our votes hands and legs.
If buhari comes out again 2015 his vote count will be the joke of the century!
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by Ndkings1(m): 5:40pm On Dec 16, 2011
Well, let's just wait and see what hapns then (2015)
only
time wil tell
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by mekaboy(m): 5:41pm On Dec 16, 2011
  BEFORE 2015 NIGERIA WILL EXPERIENCE SOME IMPROVEMENT IN POWER AND STANDARD OF LIVING, THERE WILL BE ALOT OF MASSIVE PROJECTS WHICH THE FEDERAL GOVT, WOULD HAVE GONE HALF WAY INTO. HENCE GEJ WILL HAVE TO BE GIVING MORE TIME TO COMPLETE THEM , IF ANOTHER PRESIDENT COMES IN THEY WILL BE ABANDONED .

IN 2015 IT WILL  BE A RECYCLE OF MAD MEN AND CRIMINALS THAT WILL CONTEST FOR PRESIDENCY AND NIGERIANS WILL DECIDE TO LET GET CONTINUE THAN ALLOW ONE OF THE MAD MEN EMERGE AS PRESIDENT.

THE TENSION WILL BE SO HIGH IN 2015 ELECTION THAT THE ONLY WAY FOR PEACE TO REIGN WILL BE TO ALLOW GEJ CONTINUE, BECAUSE BY THEN THEY WILL BE SELL BOMB LIKE RECHARGE CARD. ANYBODY CAN BUY BOMB AND THROW SO EVEN BOKO HARAM GO SEE BOMB RUN.

SO COME 2015- GEJ WILL REMAIN IN POWER, HE IS NOT THE BEST-BUT HE IS ALSO NOT THE WORST. grin grin grin
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by Akintola11(m): 5:59pm On Dec 16, 2011
Will they ever give the SOUTH-EAST their turn?, this is incredibly unfair to a major group who contributes far toooo much to the country ,

They need to sort out the petroleum issue before talking about election: www.thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/petroleum-industries-bill-slick-politics.com

God bless Nigeria, even though at times Nigerians don't know they are blessed,
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by mekaboy(m): 6:26pm On Dec 16, 2011
NO MAN CAN RULE THE EAST- EVEN THE EASTERNERS, NA ONLY GOD FIT RULE US. (IGBO ENWE EZE) MENAING IGBO NO GET KING . grin grin
Re: 2015 Presidency: Jonathan Cautions Sambo by PapaBrowne(m): 6:42pm On Dec 16, 2011
History Notes- January 12 2068.

Goodluck Ebele Jonathan served Nigeria first as a Deputy Governor of Bayelsa State from 1999- 2006. He then moved on to serve as Governor of the same state for one and half year. He was made vice president and served in that capacity from 2007 to 2010 before taking over the mantle of leadership after the death of his boss.
He won an election in 2011 and served out his 4 year tenure. In 2015 he won another election and served his country till 2019. He is currently the longest serving democratically elected President the country has had till date. His total years as president was 9years.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bugaje: Nigeria Under Buhari Is One Of The Most Dangerous Places To Live / Buhari Visits Lagos On Monday, May 23rd, 2016. / Federal University Of Petroleum Resources, Effurun: Saraki Signs Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.