Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,887 members, 7,814,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes (11154 Views)

University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell / Uniben Professor Discovers Cure For HIV/AIDS / Nigerian Scientist Discovers Cure For Diabetes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:38pm On Dec 16, 2011
I see that the post from Wallie that was here before I refreshed the page was also spam banned out. This spam bot is a real nuisance.
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by aribisala0(m): 3:41pm On Dec 16, 2011
many studies have estimated the economic burden of DM in the US alone at around $200 billion.
One would imagine the discovery of a "CURE" will make headlines
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by freepeople: 3:42pm On Dec 16, 2011
whobemumu:

one drug for diabetes , bosom(bre.ast) disease and prostate enlargement ?

wow /// smells  very fishy !!!!!!

In medical science, you never say never. It is possible. Just that we need more explanation on the mechanism of action of the drug.
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by freepeople: 3:44pm On Dec 16, 2011
kizito96:

Good Development

Yea, good development. Hope we don't replay Abalaka saga again
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by ziccoit: 3:51pm On Dec 16, 2011
aribisala0:

a cure i.e remission  is a theoretical and practical possibility definitely in NIDDM and it is not inconceivable in the future that a cure can be found fot Type 1 as well. Since this is a new discovery it is right to be open-minded. There is promise in genetic modification and stem-cell treatments

Ore , nothing called NIDDM in this age? It has been found out that they all end up being insulin dependants. The primary problem in DM is either lack of insulin or inability to utilise the available one or both. On biotechnology you must remember the prof is reported to have discovered a DRUG not genes So I'm still on my claim.

For beaf that is how the guy keeep on selling GEJ as hot cake despite the loads of evidence to the contrary.
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by freepeople: 3:58pm On Dec 16, 2011
ziga:

No be bad belle. . . .

The claim is [size=14pt]exceptionally[/size] bogus.

Oh you went too far. I won't take that route. Let's give him the benefit of doubt. I think, Prof needs to convince us scientifically. I don't know whether the drug has undergone clinical trial. What's the finding?
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:06pm On Dec 16, 2011
@ aribasala0, I really don't believe that he claimed that he had a "cure". But the plant which his drug is based on seems to be acknowledged (by others) to have positive anti-diabetic and anticancer effects, following his research.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=558597;sa=showPosts

Inhibiting br east cancer cell growth using that plant (Vernonia amygdalina) or certain extracts from it (http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/13880209.2010.523429) seems like a real possibility, but I don't think anything on the level of an outright cure for diabetes or br east cancer has been found and I doubt that he made that claim.
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by aribisala0(m): 4:10pm On Dec 16, 2011
i don't believe so either or did i say that??
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by freepeople: 4:18pm On Dec 16, 2011
I have so much respect for Prof. Ernest B. Izevbigie, and I will be exceptionally proud that my fellow Nigerian discovered the drug that can cure DM. Posters that thought otherwise are not trying to pull him down(PHD) or biased against his discovery. Though my sense of patriotism is pushing me to follow the line of thought of the masses. But my training is telling me otherwise. I have to post the scientific steps called "clinical trial" before a drug is shipped into the market for the consumption of the masses. These steps takes years(up to a decade or more). My question is, what are the result of clinical trials of his drug?

Phase 1 clinical trials – Is the treatment safe?

After an experimental drug or treatment has been tested in the lab and/or on animals, it enters a phase 1 trial. These trials involve a small number of patients to test safety in humans and determine the correct dose of a drug. These trials also help determine the best way to give the drug, whether oral or intravenously.

Phase 2 clinical trials – Does the treatment work?

After determining that a treatment is reasonably safe in people, it enters phase 2 trials. These are done to test for effectiveness – does the treatment work? Since a larger number of people are studied, further information is gained on safety during phase 2 trials.

Phase 3 clinical trials – Does the new treatment work better than the standard treatment?

Phase 3 trials test the new drug or treatment on hundreds or thousands of individuals. These studies are often “double-blind” trials, which mean that neither the patient nor the investigator knows which treatment is being used. They are designed to answer the question of whether or not the new treatment works better, or has fewer side effects, than the standard treatment.

Phase 4 clinical trials – Is the treatment safe over time?

Phase 4 trials are less common and serve to answer questions after the FDA has already approved a drug for general use. These can address questions such as long-term safety of a drug, or other circumstances in which the drug may be helpful.ich the drug may be helpful.
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by freepeople: 4:26pm On Dec 16, 2011
ziccoit:

If you really understand the syndrome called diabetes ' CURE' is an error actually committed by the poster. I believed prof didn't claim that.

I totally agree with you cool
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2011
aribisala0:

i don't believe so either or did i say that??

No you didn't.

But I should point out that there was nothing really wrong with his stating that it could be "very potent" as a tool in managing diabetes, like you suggested,  when he had good reason, evidence, etc. to believe so. Was he supposed to give an overview of all of the relevant research on that plant (Vernonia amygdalina) in a brief interview?

www.jsrd.org/Vol">https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ONbbkew6MgwJ:www.jsrd.org/Vol%252011/Vol%252011%2520Art162.pdf+Vernonia+amygdalina+diabetes&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShB59SnJd8bqvLw4qGkX8pedx2jre2uyPUzYVnCe2iwp4K-61Jt349T24ftdg-Sm3HPiRZ4Fk4gmZ6JfXHJ6jJzv1-PdjwtXNNb6bbP_50yUXoA1IXTmZTbPvAtiH_ZX7Qc_jjK&sig=AHIEtbSzv3kFgIik1MdyQsAHTUNQit7q2w

www.medicaljournal-ias.org/Belgelerim/Belge/OsinubiDVRBGPUEYE22737.pdf+Aqueous+leaf+extract+of+VA+produced+significant+">https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:d8hecMS86EMJ:www.medicaljournal-ias.org/Belgelerim/Belge/OsinubiDVRBGPUEYE22737.pdf+Aqueous+leaf+extract+of+VA+produced+significant+%28p+%3C+0.05-0.001%29,+reductions&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjL8kFnN-mj5nQAl1DCXw6ZD4gAz6JKMdkkBOBRvITQJEtYvjbw1O7ynTeddaoIC-uYcGXMQ6vUSSdRM9-mjuG9OnwC9uHCrwn8pddpQVhezQEsOtolCItiWZceTIwriblHnsUn&sig=AHIEtbR1uYM4D3ygbadixOxK-u_o0swd6w

http://medicalangle.com/2011/03/effects-of-bitter-leafvernonia-amygdalina-and-chlorpropamide-on-blood-glucose3/   (note that Dr. Izevbigie's article is one of the articles cited)

Looking at the conclusions of actual biologists, I see nothing wrong with his statement about the potency of the drug (the drug is based on the plant, of course) with respect to diabetes. If the plant has a positive effect on diabetes as all the scientific literature suggests, and the drug is based on the plant, it follows that his statement was basically correct (and furthermore, it was appropriate for a brief interview with an ordinary (not scientific) Nigerian newspaper or magazine). What he needs is more direct evidence with regard to humans before he can make stronger statements, but his statement about potency was not really wrong.
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by aribisala0(m): 4:37pm On Dec 16, 2011
you are entitled to your opinion. it is different from mine. i am not seeking to persuade you otherwise
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by Wallie(m): 4:58pm On Dec 16, 2011
Wallie:

The Nigerian "Don" has two patents and the first is related to bitter leaf (Vernonia amygdalina).

Giving a cursory look at the patents, only the first seem relevant to the claim above and he seemed to recognize that the extracts (juices) of crushed bitter leaf has medicinal properties. Even though our forefathers probably knew the medicinal properties of bitter leaf, none of them got a patent for it, which means that the professor now has the rights to stop any company from using bitter leaf as such.

Patent 6,713,098 - Rights assigned to Jackson State University (Jackson, MI).

Patent 6541196 - Rights assigned to Jackson State University (Jackson, MI).

I posted the above with actual quotes from the patent before getting banned.

If you want the exact details of the crushing of the bitter leaf, you can look in my post profile for my last post or you can get the same text by googling the Patent 6,713,098.

Moral of the story is that there are many more local remedies, especially of plants that are native to us, that we use in Africa that has the potential of fetching major dollars if made known to the outside world by way of patents.
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by denitro(m): 5:29pm On Dec 16, 2011
The drug “Edolite”, according to Prof. Izevbigie is very potent in the management of diabetes, prostrate enlargement in men and bosom cancer in women is currently produced in America and would be produced locally in Nigeria as from February 2012.

Management or Cure,
Please clarify that statement,
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by Ejiekwu1(m): 5:51pm On Dec 16, 2011
This is unbelievable. GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by kelvinnn(m): 6:02pm On Dec 16, 2011
bravo! naija lets go there, good to here this.
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by tommysparks: 9:13pm On Dec 16, 2011
this thing na agbo the man go mix for jand. but if im wife get restaurant and na only bitterleaf soup(ofe onugbo) she sabi cook we go buy am sha
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by aribisala0(m): 10:00pm On Dec 16, 2011
ziccoit:

Ore , nothing called NIDDM in this age? It has been found out that they[b] all [/b]end up being insulin dependants. The primary problem in DM is either lack of insulin or inability to utilise the available one or both. On biotechnology you must remember the prof is reported to have discovered a DRUG not genes So I'm still on my claim.

For beaf that is how the guy keeep on selling GEJ as hot cake despite the loads of evidence to the contrary.
well it just shows how old i am

but the reason is NOT because they all [/b]become insulin dependent. It was just not a suitable term in capturing  many forms of what is a very diverse condition that was quite challenging to classify
So many psychiatric patients develop Type 2 as a direct consequence of being overweight from specific drugs . many remit when these drugs are stopped and they lose weight to the extent that they do not even require oral hypoglycaemics. Anyway it seems to me you ignored the point of my post to score a point that is not really relevant on this forum. ie whether you call it Type 2 or NIDDM  makes no difference to our discussion here
. the point with DM  and how it arises that you mention is [b]; our understanding of the problem
today which is NOT absolute. New discoveries change understanding completely as was the case  in the discovery of the role of H.pylori in causing ulcers VERY RECENTLY in historical terms.
A true scientist NEVER claims to know so i can only say there are current theories/models for how DM arises which we all subscribe to but it is a complex condition
and I do NOT accept that a cure cannot be found as there many well documented cases of remission  in Type 2 DM and we must remember that DM is a diagnosis by proxy i.e blood sugar levels and there is no pathology common to ALL cases as there is in Liver cirrhosis  e.g.

I was talking in general which was quite clear because I expressed my skepticism about Prof's Claim. Not because it is a drug but because of the mode of publishing/publicity. There is no theoretical  reason why a drug CANNOT persuade a pancreas to make more insulin or persuade cells to obey insulin commands more since we have no idea why they become  resistant to insulin in many cases. It is conceivable theoretically.
we already know that life style changes cause remission of so-called mild cases so DM is a very complex condition and a cure is,in my view ,possible
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by freepeople: 10:24pm On Dec 16, 2011
aloy/emeka:

[size=14pt]Don discovers cure for diabetes[/size]
on DECEMBER 15, 2011 · in HEALTH

BY GABRIEL ENOGHOLASE

BENIN – NIGERIANS living with Diabetes, prostrate enlargement and bosom cancer can now heave a sign of relief as a Nigerian University lecturer and researcher, Prof. Ernest Izivbigie has discovered cure for the ailments.

Prof. Izevbigie who is the Deputy Vice-Chancellor of the Benson Idahosa University, Benin using local bitter leafs which is well grown in the country, has produced the drug which is now in high demand in Europe and America.

The drug “Edolite”, according to Prof. Izevbigie is [size=14pt]very potent[/size] in the management of diabetes, prostrate enlargement in men and bosom cancer in women is currently produced in America and would be produced locally in Nigeria as from February 2012.

He told newsmen yesterday in Benin that the drug which is currently available in some Pharmaceutical stores in the country especially in Benin and Lagos has measured up the standard specifications as required in Europe and America.

For his feat in advancing the cure of the ailments, Prof. Izevbigie has been inducted into the United States Academy of Inventors.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/don-discovers-cure-for-diabetes/

PhysicsMHD:

No you didn't.

But I should point out that there was nothing really wrong with his stating that it could be [size=14pt]"very potent"[/size] as a tool in managing diabetes, like you suggested,  when he had good reason, evidence, etc. to believe so. Was he supposed to give an overview of all of the relevant research on that plant (Vernonia amygdalina) in a brief interview?

www.jsrd.org/Vol">https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ONbbkew6MgwJ:www.jsrd.org/Vol%252011/Vol%252011%2520Art162.pdf+Vernonia+amygdalina+diabetes&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShB59SnJd8bqvLw4qGkX8pedx2jre2uyPUzYVnCe2iwp4K-61Jt349T24ftdg-Sm3HPiRZ4Fk4gmZ6JfXHJ6jJzv1-PdjwtXNNb6bbP_50yUXoA1IXTmZTbPvAtiH_ZX7Qc_jjK&sig=AHIEtbSzv3kFgIik1MdyQsAHTUNQit7q2w

www.medicaljournal-ias.org/Belgelerim/Belge/OsinubiDVRBGPUEYE22737.pdf+Aqueous+leaf+extract+of+VA+produced+significant+">https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:d8hecMS86EMJ:www.medicaljournal-ias.org/Belgelerim/Belge/OsinubiDVRBGPUEYE22737.pdf+Aqueous+leaf+extract+of+VA+produced+significant+%28p+%3C+0.05-0.001%29,+reductions&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjL8kFnN-mj5nQAl1DCXw6ZD4gAz6JKMdkkBOBRvITQJEtYvjbw1O7ynTeddaoIC-uYcGXMQ6vUSSdRM9-mjuG9OnwC9uHCrwn8pddpQVhezQEsOtolCItiWZceTIwriblHnsUn&sig=AHIEtbR1uYM4D3ygbadixOxK-u_o0swd6w

http://medicalangle.com/2011/03/effects-of-bitter-leafvernonia-amygdalina-and-chlorpropamide-on-blood-glucose3/   (note that Dr. Izevbigie's article is one of the articles cited)

Looking at the conclusions of actual biologists, I see nothing wrong with his statement about the [size=14pt]potency of the drug[/size] (the drug is based on the plant, of course) with respect to diabetes. If the plant has a positive effect on diabetes as all the scientific literature suggests, and the drug is based on the plant, it follows that his statement was basically correct (and furthermore, it was appropriate for a brief interview with an ordinary (not scientific) Nigerian newspaper or magazine). What he needs is more direct evidence with regard to humans before he can make stronger statements, but his statement about [size=14pt]potency[/size] was not really wrong.

We are abusing the word [size=14pt]"potency"[/size]. We should use "efficacy" instead.
[size=14pt]Potency[/size] refers to amount of drug needed to produce a certain response, while,
[size=14pt]Efficacy[/size] is the maximal response that can be elicited by a drug.

When potency is mentioned, we think about dose of the drug, but when efficacy is mentioned, we think about the effect of drug on the disease process. Pharmaceutical company can't get an FDA license by proving that their drug is potent, rather, license is issued by proving that their drug is efficacious when compared to placebo. Let's not use the word inter-changeably. Potency is mostly the language of charlatans.
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by jevic(m): 6:33am On Dec 17, 2011
Has the drug been tasted to comfirm it's potency or is it business as usual. Make we shine eyes oo.
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by Waterway: 8:21am On Dec 17, 2011
Dr Izevbigie's claim or his advertisement by Mr Inogholase is a stretch . Diabetes cure is misleading and the Nigerian press needs to be a bit more responsible. Some of our Journalist and their newspapers are now mouthpiece for some people with delusions of grandeur.Most of our journalist need some training on scientific reporting but then again journalism of today is a reflecting of our academic decay of last decade!!! I do agree with aribisala --- where is the clinical trial to back up the claim of a cure. In the scientific world in Nigerian it is a deceptive publication to sell dietary pills---- profit trumps science---. In the other parts of the world this is utter nonsense and misleading grandiose claim. Diabetes according to WHO is on track to be a global epidemic in another decade or two and if this is that breakthrough treatment (cure) then Dr Izevbigie's accolates will be measured on a richter's scale and be in line for a nobel prize in science!!!
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by PhysicsQED(m): 11:56am On Dec 17, 2011
freepeople:

We are abusing the word [size=14pt]"potency"[/size]. We should use "efficacy" instead.
[size=14pt]Potency[/size] refers to amount of drug needed to produce a certain response, while,
[size=14pt]Efficacy[/size] is the maximal response that can be elicited by a drug.

When potency is mentioned, we think about dose of the drug, but when efficacy is mentioned, we think about the effect of drug on the disease process. Pharmaceutical company can't get an FDA license by proving that their drug is potent, rather, license is issued by proving that their drug is efficacious when compared to placebo. Let's not use the word inter-changeably. Potency is mostly the language of charlatans.

I think you're misunderstanding the prof's use of ordinary English.

Potency and efficacy are ordinary words which - like many other words - have been borrowed by scientists to have specific technical meanings in their specific field, and we don't need to claim that "potency" is the language of "charlatans" when it is in fact a specific pharmacological term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potency_%28pharmacology%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrinsic_activity

But he was not even making any technical statement or pronouncement - he was clearly speaking in plain English and in plain English what he claimed made sense. So we should refrain from misreading his very ordinary (not technical) use of the word potent to mean something other than the obvious, standard dictionary definition.
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by aribisala0(m): 12:35pm On Dec 17, 2011
I agree that the word charlattan seems harsh but to describe a drug as "potent" in the context of revealing a new cure coming from a Professor is disappointing IF he is implying anything order than the pharmacological meaning especially as your suggested LAY interpretation(which i disown)  means something VERY different.
Even in lay usage potency usually means STRENGTH not effectiveness. If someone said an alcoholic drink or a particular supply of IGBO grin grin(cannabis) is very potent his listeners will draw only one conclusion i.e it is stronger in comparison to some other supply NOT that it has a euphoric/intoxicating effect as that would be assumed to be the case anyway.

the Analogy of Ogogoro and Gulder and water should help

Ogogoro  Very potent
Gulder    Potent

Water  No effect
it would be wrong to describe water as NOT potent if our purpose is to get drunk
It is NOT EFFECTIVE
I am not certain that the Prof indeed uttered those words BUT in addressing a lay audience even, the correct term is Effective or Efficacious i.e. it does what it is expected or claims to do.
"potent" is wrong and qualifying it by the adjective "very"  seals any doubt .
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by PhysicsQED(m): 12:45pm On Dec 17, 2011
So saying it could be "very strong/powerful" when used in managing a condition is significantly different from saying it would be "very effective"? Ok.

But regardless, he's not a professor of English. grin
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by aribisala0(m): 12:50pm On Dec 17, 2011
No both in english or technically it is important as the link from the previous poster shows.
POTENCY is a technical word in pharmacology/medicine  and I am sure a Professor would know that. It so happens, in my view , that the technical and lay meanings coincide very well and the argument that he was addressing a lay audience does not wash.
Please do not misapprehend me .I have no evidence that the guy actually uttered those words and i question if he did . My posts are based on that premise of doubt and thus are neutral

in the context of pharmacology  "very strong" might be a bit misleading but i think that is as  best as it can be reduced to lay comprehension
but it means in comparison to another substance a much smaller amount in milligrammes(will produce the same effect)
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by Oletunow(m): 5:15am On Dec 19, 2011
I guess the value of this new drug to the whole community is that, it was discovered by a Nigerian, beyond that; I did not see any marginal value above the some herbal remedies in the market for this same disease.

Also, the heading indicating that it 'cures' is misleading, it was more accurately defined as a management drug in the article.
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by okerenkwa: 8:50pm On Jan 03, 2012
For your information, EDOTIDE is marketed in the US as a food supplement. Diabetics who took it also reported an improvement in their blood pressure. It was not initially given to them as a remedy for HBP but patients testified that their Dr had to reduce the number of HBP drugs they were on. The claim is not bogus. The research has been published in peer review journals. All the people criticizing the claim should have just done a simple Google search on Ernest Izevbigie, if you do not trust Google, you can as well search his name on www.pubmed.gov to see some of the peer reviewed publications. The American government that gave him two patents on his discoveries is not careless, that is if you disrespect NAFDAC that registered the product in Nigeria. I am an insider because I worked with both Dr Izevbigie and his students at Jackson State University. We should always criticize constructively instead of mud slinging. Happy new year to all
Re: One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 17, 2012
Now i have a cure for type 2 diabetes.

Cut okro in peices, Soak into water in a cup or jar, the slums, i mean the slurry liquid drips into the water. Drink the water. Do this every morning. After a 3 weeks, you will have a testimony. Also try taking real honey. One spoon with every food. Works like voodoo.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Panic Attacks : All You Need To Know / Treatment For Staphylococcus Aureus / Reps Committee Calls For Overhauling Of NHIS, NAFDAC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.