Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,728 members, 7,816,993 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? (17302 Views)

Ogun To Generate Electricity From Sawdust / Buhari Orders Takeover Of Nigerian Airspace From Ghana / FG To Generate 4,000MW Electricity From Coal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by snthesis(m): 12:39pm On Dec 16, 2011
londoner:

@Synthesis, what is even more worth noting is that more recently, electricity in Ghana has NOT been uninterrupted. They can not give us what they don't have.

oh i see. So as usual its just cheap political talk.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by omar22(m): 12:57pm On Dec 16, 2011
YOU WOULD ALWAYS GET THE LEADER YOU DESERVE
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by globatop: 1:03pm On Dec 16, 2011
a good leader projects, ghanain knows they can never supply power to Nigeria, but if SA could generate 40,000MW as against Nigeria's 4,000MW, considering SA/Nigerian population ratio, are we really giant of Africa, Nigeria is receiving blows from all the countries we were assisting because of our corrupt nature, too bad
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by londoner: 1:06pm On Dec 16, 2011
snthesis:

oh i see. So as usual its just cheap political talk.

Basically. Imo, the people will get a momentary high excuse my French, ( hard on) if they are lead to believe that Nigeria and other countries in their region rely on them for something.

@Jmaine, compliments of the season to you also, wink
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by Kx: 1:31pm On Dec 16, 2011
If they like,let them import it from Somalia, simply provide light.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by utelee: 2:32pm On Dec 16, 2011
evil dat men do live with dem! nigeria is bless with evil rulers 4rm military 2 civilian.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by dabrake(m): 2:37pm On Dec 16, 2011
ismhab:

Let us import Atta Mills to be our president, since this corrupt rulers have failed.
i for prefer the late gaddafi sef
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by efisher(m): 2:48pm On Dec 16, 2011
Extremely ridiculous! The title should be "Ghana hopes we will buy power from them by 2015". This is probably because they can see the pathetic situation of our power sector. The FG has never announced such plans or accepted any such proposal. Besides, considering the distance of 9ja from Ghana, the power losses will be monumental.

On the other hand, they can make it happen if a "super power transmission highway" is constructed all the way from Ghana just as we have the West African Gas Pipeline. Ironically, if that happens, it will be like us exporting crude and importing refined products. Such may thrive if companies find such alternative to be more cost effective.

If something like this ever happens, I wonder how shameful it will be. sad
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by edcode(f): 2:58pm On Dec 16, 2011
Politics
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by ortopazz(m): 3:23pm On Dec 16, 2011
The caption ends with can you believe it?

For me its a NO, I mean Ghana cant and wont try, its raising high hopes, now we are saying we dont care just BUY, buh pls correct me if am wrong, what happens when its going so good and then just like now they say the wanna use the same money which they have been using to import and generate our own light? Then plunge us into darkness again.

Let us generate our light and fight our problems on our own!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by owenueme: 3:24pm On Dec 16, 2011
We don finish! So na for Ghana we go dey buy electricity now?  GEJ don finish us.  And we say we are the giant of Africa!
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by ortopazz(m): 3:29pm On Dec 16, 2011
Giants ke, let us fight our problems, just like this subsidy issue, we dönt and cant tell the minds of this men who are clueless as to what selfless leadership/service means!
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by sylve11: 3:29pm On Dec 16, 2011
What else can i say? sad sad cool
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by olajide8(m): 4:07pm On Dec 16, 2011
I guess a ghanaian company wants to come and invest in the power sector just like the federal government is trying to encourage norwaygian companies south african german and american but have you noticed that when these countries come and say this and that they don't return they simply renigade on their propositions from what we heard from the FG they are already producing in excess of what ghana is producing and ghana is a small country their 5000mega watts can't power lagos alone 24-7 so why does our government want to continue to deplete our foreign reserves and then look for how to tell us they are subsidizing power again and then allow us to wipe up sentimental issues if its part of the proposition of the said government to raise the funding no problem but if the federal government can't think of investing in other countries to raise the FGEGR then rubbish we need people that can think outside the box. And let the cluelessness continue unabated.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by Oletunow(m): 4:19pm On Dec 16, 2011
I do not see anything wrong with, if we as Nigerians put our prides aside, you will find out with little research that, Ghana have the largest dams in the world and they on their 10 year uninterrupted power supply, The key here is, Countries all over the world import resources and manpower they could not met locally.

One should not care, where the power comes from as long as it leads to more sustainable power supply in Nigeria, this will stipulate growth, productivity, efficiency and would attract more foreign investment into other sectors in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by PointB: 4:35pm On Dec 16, 2011
^^^
Pls from when to when did Ghana have 10 years uninterrupted power supply? What part of Ghana was covered during this era?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Dec 16, 2011
The Poster is Silly. The subject is misleading. VP Ghana is just giving a speech and telling his people that they wanna sell. we never said we wanna buy electricity or did we say ?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by kelvinnn(m): 6:07pm On Dec 16, 2011
w.s.n.e (wonder shall never end ) Haaa, wat a shame!!!
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by egbeocha(m): 6:18pm On Dec 16, 2011
Many pple no dey use their head to analyse tins. , Wia re we wen dey generate standard 2000mw
Wia re we wen dey celebrate 10yrs of uninterrupted light??
How many state ve celebrated 4 6monts in 9ja?
My pple,Ghana mean bussiness if dey say it. lipsrsealed[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by strangest(m): 6:38pm On Dec 16, 2011
^^^ I have spent some months in Ghana and all these uninterrupted power story is just a hoax, though I must say they have an organized way of interrupting power,

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by samyng(m): 6:48pm On Dec 16, 2011
[size=16pt]Don't know why the media and people trying to paint this picture big,  After reading the article i noticed Ghana does not even produce up to 3000 MW. What they have is 2000 i don't know where the BIG SHAME came from,  God help us that before that 2015 we would even have over 5000 MW is time Nigerians need to think positive about their country [/size]
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by daisy28: 7:23pm On Dec 16, 2011
light is necessary,anyway
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by isikel(m): 8:32pm On Dec 16, 2011
Hmmmmm wetin b say Nija won buy electricity from Ghana angry. the giant of africa for mouth. they can go ahead to buy from Ghana if that should be solution. nonscence angry sad shocked embarassed
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by love4ual: 9:16pm On Dec 16, 2011
my friend was prepared to suffer for the rest of his life , if only he can leave that useless country called nigeria,

i know some of you may call him coward but he did suffer for some yrs, but he now leaves in a country where he is safe, he doesn't have to suffer electricity issues,
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by werepeLeri: 9:40pm On Dec 16, 2011
love4ual:

my friend was prepared to suffer for the rest of his life , if only he can leave that useless country called nigeria,

i know some of you may call him coward but he did suffer for some yrs, but he now leaves in a country where he is safe, he doesn't have to suffer electricity issues,

So?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by Umarjob: 10:28pm On Dec 16, 2011
Nigeria is already a sorry case.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by JayCee2010: 11:00pm On Dec 16, 2011
First of all, I'm not sure of the source that claims that Ghana celebrated a number of years of uninterrupted power in 2009, because I have been in Ghana since 2005 and I can say with all certainty that power supply in Ghana is ANYTHING but regular!!!

In 2007 the water level in the dam was so low that there was nationwide load shedding, whereby people were without light on a daily basis for 12hours (they were very accurate with the power cuts). This happened for almost 3 months!!!

Ever since, power supply in Ghana has been very erratic, with an average of power cuts at least once a week from a duration of as little as 5mins up to 12 whole hours!

Nevertheless, Ghanas worst power situation is still better than anything Nigeria has to offer!

Many Ghanaian adults had never seen a generator up until that 2007 when they became popular; me I was born in Nigeria, in a hospital that was probably running on gen!!loool

Let the Government of Ghana remove the log in their own eyes and sort out their own power issues before they start trying to fix us.

GEJ has failed Nigeria in every way imaginable!!! So sad.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by Reggie2(m): 12:26am On Dec 17, 2011
Instead of running mouth against Ghana 4 their proposed importation of power to 9ja, we may soon be reading about some phantom billions remitted to Ghana 4 the deal. Our politicians are capable of pulling all sorts of deals; obasanjo is still roaming free after his own deals, na today?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by iotama22: 2:27am On Dec 17, 2011
ANOTHER DEMONSTRATION OF SHAME as Ghana prepares to sell electricity to Nigeria. Since we are bent on importing everything, I guess we need a country frm where we can import water & good roads. We need suggestions, please.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by zebudaya(m): 9:08am On Dec 17, 2011
The problem with Nigerians is most of us lack critical thinking skills. The article clearly states "Under the arrangement, the country (Ghana) intends to increase her current 2000 megawatts of electricity to 5000 megawatts with the hope of selling surpluses to needy countries including Nigeria.

Nigeria was generating 4000 MW as of last week before Egbin shut down on Tuesday Dec 13 2011. Let's assume they'll fix it in a week and we'd get back to 4000 MW. From 2012 power is going to be privatized. Delta state just got a license to generate their own power. Other states would do the same So how the  hell is little Ghana who currently produces 2000 MW going to exceed our output, and have so much they can sell power to us. It's simple math. They can't and they wont. Even at our worst we are much closer to their 5000 MW target than they are.

Don't believe everything you read. Don't believe everything you read in Sun news Nigeria. The lack of power is a result of corruption, Ghana has it too. This was just cheap propaganda for the illiterate Ghanian masses. Most of you are so eager to talk bad about Nigeria. Good things happen to us everyday. If you pay attention you would see it. Keep talking and being negative. The British, Dutch, and Americans came in and made money off oil. The Lebanese made lots of money with their businesses too. Chagoury is building Eko Atlantic city, The Chinese are already here. Yet a lot of Naija people keep complaining and seeing obstacles instead of solutions.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by londoner: 10:15am On Dec 17, 2011
^^^ 100% agreed.

Please someone provide the article where Nigerian politicians said they are preparing to buy electricity from Ghana?

Some here are arguing their case as if that is what was posted here. In fact nothing of the sort has been said or reported.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Buy Electricity From Ghana - Can You Believe It? by Victorsky(m): 12:59pm On Dec 17, 2011
The fundamental principles of electricity generation were discovered during the 1820s and early 1830s by the British scientist Michael Faraday. His basic method is still used today: electricity is generated by the movement of a loop of wire, or disc of copper between the poles of a magnet.
For electric utilities, it is the first process in the delivery of electricity to consumers.
The other processes, electricity transmission, distribution, and electrical power storage and recovery using pumped storage methods are normally carried out by the electric power industry.
Electricity is most often generated at a power station by electromechanical generators, primarily driven by heat engines fueled by chemical combustion or nuclear fission but also by other means such as the kinetic energy of flowing water and wind.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

28 Soldiers Arrested In Lagos State / Francis Arthur Nzeribe Is Worth £928,789,000 Million Pounds / Lawyer Who Made Adeleke Win At Tribunal Is Most Powerful Freemason In Nigeria(pi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.