Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 - Travel (481) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 (864617 Views)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / UK Spouse Visa/Appeal Process-part2 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (478) (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) ... (503) (Go Down)

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by kevin222222: 9:13am On Aug 08, 2015
Im a little confused about something. For those who have gone for the Tier 4 interview before, is there a face to face interview where you are asked questions? because I have seen allusions to that on this site.

Secondly since I have exceeded my 28 days count, and applied online. I still have my maintenance funds but I need to use them to make my accommodation payment. Could the embassy check my bank account. And if they do and find that a significant amount is missing, how do I explain that i used it to pay for accommodation in London?

Thanks guys
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by bidosko(m): 9:26am On Aug 08, 2015
MrMarcus:
VISA ISSUED!!!
Thanks to all for the wise counsel.

THE THINGS I learnt.

*Submitted application online on 20/07/15 (Salah public holiday) V.I VAC (church gate)
*Booked interview date on 21/07/15 (The next working day).
*Visa Received in Sheffield 22/07/15 via mail confirmation of receipt.
*Decision mail sent on Sunday 02/08/15 (which obviously isn't a working day so I assume decision was actually made on Friday 31/07/15)
*Total number of working days application lasted *9days*

Findings!!!
Ikeja fast visa processing to me is just a fluke.
if everyone thinks its fast and moves there just to get it fast V.I VAC thus becomes scanty with less application. would UK Sheffield abandon all applications just for Ikeja Centre ?? BIG NO. rather they only give priority to priority visa applications as stated on there web.

**My advice, pay for priority visa application if truly you want it faster rather than think that applying at Ikeja VAC would guarantee that cos it surely don't.

Reason: Teleperformance don't have any proven influence on visa application, submission or decision they are only a medium for applications and collection. "A legal UK VISA Agent"

For Example. I got mail of my visa being received at Sheffield from Sheffield Centre but teleperformance informed me after 24hours.
Decision mail was sent by teleperformance after I already received it from Sheffield UK 3days earlier. Thus, They only have information probably after the applicant had received such.

ON FOREX.
I bring Good news.
The CBN has relaxed its restrictions on issuance of PTA (Pocket Travel Allowance) hence you don't need to buy your foriegn currency from BDC at least for $4,000 equivalent.
However , don't bother using GTB as you would be disappointed as I was when I visited there overall head office in V.I Lagos.
I finally used FirstBank Marina Lagos.

REQUIREMENT: visa page of passport and flight ticket (return).. sometimes admission letter for tier4 visa.

FLIGHT BOOKINGS:
WAKANOW.COM: They did a good job in placing my bookings tho the customer care finished my airtime before attending to my call. However press 2 which is for reservations rather than 7 which is enquiry (That way they know its biznes) or transferring to an agent just like calling 180 on MTN.

I saved #210,000 with my idea of getting to London first then to Aberdeen via sleeper train...Tho sleeper train is same cost with flight £80. but for my luggage.

I hope someone finds this tips helpful.

Thanks.
congrats Mr Marcus. For the PTA must the flight ticket be a return ticket not one-way
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by MrMarcus(m): 10:04am On Aug 08, 2015
dannyabba:

Congrats. And thank you so much for this info. I was/am seriously considering Priority service at VI. So did you actually use the priority service, or just regular application fee?

Greetings!
I never paid for any priority visa considering my calculations, it takes max. 15working days so I was on course as my counting shows first/early second week of August duration for max. stipulated working days.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by MrMarcus(m): 10:08am On Aug 08, 2015
bidosko:
congrats Mr Marcus. For the PTA must the flight ticket be a return ticket not one-way

Greetings!

Mine was one way.
However you might get that lucky like me though CBN policy says its a return ticket thing.

what I did; with a lot of smiles, I pleaded with the lady to call her boss and request since I met other criteria to which the man on the other end of the line told her to use my admission letter.
Thus it depends on who you met and the persons mood. its a flexible rule.

Thanks.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by MrMarcus(m): 10:18am On Aug 08, 2015
Kriptic:
@MrMarcus

Congrats. I agree with you, the VI centre is not even half as slow as people made it seem. Yours was even faster than mine. 9 working days? Wow! Congrats again, man.

Greetings well received!

Thanks my man.. Its often cool one takes some risk and responsibility having studied a situation.

For instance.. everybody would prefer going to Abj cos there is the gist that the visa is faster cos of lower usuage probably because of its location. however, what if over 90% of applicants goes there? ofcos other VAC becomes almost vacant hence less traffic.

Anyone applying showed prepare one's self early enough and work with 15 working days. Generally irrespective of your VAC it doesn't exceed that for tier4 visa.
Two people I met there where issued REFUSAL cos of poor planning.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by kevin222222: 10:40am On Aug 08, 2015
But really has anyone used the priority service for Tier 4 visa.

On Telepeformance website, it initially shows that Tier 4s are allowed to use it. but when you are about to pay, Tier 4 is no longer there.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Petitediva14(f): 10:51am On Aug 08, 2015
Bamz:

awww thanks thababe for your response. At the moment I'm open to any sort of scholarship for the 16/17 sesssion.

I've applied for Shell (got dropped), NITDA(awaiting a miraculous result in my favor, LOL), and I just thought of considering Chevening since I can meet most of the requirements.

What I don't get is whether or not Chevening wants us to actually apply for these 3 courses cos I'm looking at UCL, Southampton, and Edinburg. UCL being my first choice.

You are to apply for 3 different courses. You can apply for the courses in the same school so it doesn't have to be in three different schools.

I applied for it but my heart was not in it and when they sent me a mail that my references had to send the referral letter with a paid email address/school owned address, I didn't bother them at all.

My heart was not in it because of the IELTS they require you to do and there were some other rules I didn't like.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Petitediva14(f): 10:52am On Aug 08, 2015
MrMarcus:

Greetings well received!

Thanks my man.. Its often cool one takes some risk and responsibility having studied a situation.

For instance.. everybody would prefer going to Abj cos there is the gist that the visa is faster cos of lower usuage probably because of its location. however, what if over 90% of applicants goes there? ofcos other VAC becomes almost vacant hence less traffic.

Anyone applying showed prepare one's self early enough and work with 15 working days. Generally irrespective of your VAC it doesn't exceed that for tier4 visa.
Two people I met there where issued REFUSAL cos of poor planning.

Poor planning how? What happened?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Petitediva14(f): 11:00am On Aug 08, 2015
MrMarcus:
VISA ISSUED!!!
Thanks to all for the wise counsel.

THE THINGS I learnt.

*Submitted application online on 20/07/15 (Salah public holiday) V.I VAC (church gate)
*Booked interview date on 21/07/15 (The next working day).
*Visa Received in Sheffield 22/07/15 via mail confirmation of receipt.
*Decision mail sent on Sunday 02/08/15 (which obviously isn't a working day so I assume decision was actually made on Friday 31/07/15)
*Total number of working days application lasted *9days*

Findings!!!
Ikeja fast visa processing to me is just a fluke.
if everyone thinks its fast and moves there just to get it fast V.I VAC thus becomes scanty with less application. would UK Sheffield abandon all applications just for Ikeja Centre ?? BIG NO. rather they only give priority to priority visa applications as stated on there web.

**My advice, pay for priority visa application if truly you want it faster rather than think that applying at Ikeja VAC would guarantee that cos it surely don't.

Reason: Teleperformance don't have any proven influence on visa application, submission or decision they are only a medium for applications and collection. "A legal UK VISA Agent"

For Example. I got mail of my visa being received at Sheffield from Sheffield Centre but teleperformance informed me after 24hours.
Decision mail was sent by teleperformance after I already received it from Sheffield UK 3days earlier. Thus, They only have information probably after the applicant had received such.

ON FOREX.
I bring Good news.
The CBN has relaxed its restrictions on issuance of PTA (Pocket Travel Allowance) hence you don't need to buy your foriegn currency from BDC at least for $4,000 equivalent.
However , don't bother using GTB as you would be disappointed as I was when I visited there overall head office in V.I Lagos.
I finally used FirstBank Marina Lagos.

REQUIREMENT: visa page of passport and flight ticket (return).. sometimes admission letter for tier4 visa.

FLIGHT BOOKINGS:
WAKANOW.COM: They did a good job in placing my bookings tho the customer care finished my airtime before attending to my call. However press 2 which is for reservations rather than 7 which is enquiry (That way they know its biznes) or transferring to an agent just like calling 180 on MTN.

I saved #210,000 with my idea of getting to London first then to Aberdeen via sleeper train...Tho sleeper train is same cost with flight £80. but for my luggage.

I hope someone finds this tips helpful.

Thanks.

Thanks for your tips. Did first bank give you cash or the pta card? I asked one of their staff and he said they don't give cash anymore. But I am a bit skeptical about the card working in the atm machines in UK. I have never used their card outside Nigeria.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by MrMarcus(m): 11:01am On Aug 08, 2015
Petitediva14:

Poor planning how? What happened?

*One paid but wasn't reflected on CAS and had just maintenance fund in account tho telex copy of payment was attached.
* The other was refused visa previously cos of insufficient home ties.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by MrMarcus(m): 11:04am On Aug 08, 2015
Petitediva14:

Thanks for your tips. Did first bank give you cash or the pta card? I asked one of their staff and he said they don't give cash anymore. But I am a bit skeptical about the card working in the atm machines in UK. I have never used their card outside Nigeria.

Not all banks/bank branch have the boldness to do PTA.

Everyone I met there was given cash. never heard of any card probably the person you met was trying to market his product.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Petitediva14(f): 11:41am On Aug 08, 2015
MrMarcus:

*One paid but wasn't reflected on CAS and had just maintenance fund in account tho telex copy of payment was attached.
* The other was refused visa previously cos of insufficient home ties.

Insufficient home ties? shocked I was refused USA visa because of insufficient home ties. Hope that would not affect my chances.. cry cry cry
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by chenn(m): 3:07pm On Aug 08, 2015
igwejay67:
Hi I've been a silent follower on this forum because I'm helping my little brother to apply for uni in Glasgow. For those of you going to Aberdeen or Edinburgh I've seen folks paying up to 280k for a direct flight why don't you take a flight to London and get a train for about £80-100 or better still get a sleeper coach for £35. You will go in and get a bed and wake up on your destination it's a brilliant service with charging ports and wifi, you get to see London and a bit of the country when you arrive and above all save your money. Hope this helps I've been in Scotland for almost 10 years if anyone needs clarification I'm happy to help. God bless

@Igwejay67, pls what is accomodation like in Glasgow My school offered a university accommodation of £100 p/w; the accommodation is flat comprising of private study rooms with wc, the flat wc is shared; I think one ve to be paying for Electricity and Gas seperately from the rent. SO bros is it possible for som1 to get a cheap private accommodation around the city center that is better than what my uni is offering me
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Bamz(m): 3:46pm On Aug 08, 2015
Petitediva14:

You are to apply for 3 different courses. You can apply for the courses in the same school so it doesn't have to be in three different schools.

I applied for it but my heart was not in it and when they sent me a mail that my references had to send the referral letter with a paid email address/school owned address, I didn't bother them at all.

My heart was not in it because of the IELTS they require you to do and there were some other rules I didn't like.

Well I don't have IELTS too. I'd have to take it. I just feel I'm good enough for this since I got a 2.1 plus 2+ years work experience.

Did you eventually get another scholarship?
What were your reservations about Chevening?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by chiinj(m): 6:23pm On Aug 08, 2015
dannyabba:

Congrats. And thank you so much for this info. I was/am seriously considering Priority service at VI. So did you actually use the priority service, or just regular application fee?

Me too. I'm stuck between paying for priority service at either VI or Abuja. Which one is faster?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Petitediva14(f): 6:54pm On Aug 08, 2015
Bamz:

Well I don't have IELTS too. I'd have to take it. I just feel I'm good enough for this since I got a 2.1 plus 2+ years work experience.

Did you eventually get another scholarship?
What were your reservations about Chevening?

There was a part where they said that you had to come back home immediately you are through with the program and I think they said you can't even go back to the U.K until a certain period had passed (I think 2 years or so). Though I don't know what my plans after the masters degree are right now, I am not interested in a restrictive scholarship. Just the thought of it was making me feel like I had entered a super binding agreement and I was not comfortable with it.

Yes I did. It is not a full scholarship but it has no restriction whatsoever. My only obligation is to act in an ambassadorial capacity once in a while. And I am more than comfortable with that.

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by thababe: 9:29pm On Aug 08, 2015
Petitediva the part about not going back to the UK must be new o.. cus all my frienda who gor Chevening have gone and one of them even lives there now.. but yep ur right about having to come back immediately. Glad you got something that didnt place any restrictions. Im pretty bummed i didnt get any scholarship or grants... But its all good..i thank God for provision. 8

2 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Petitediva14(f): 10:26pm On Aug 08, 2015
thababe:
Petitediva the part about not going back to the UK must be new o.. cus all my frienda who gor Chevening have gone and one of them even lives there now.. but yep ur right about having to come back immediately. Glad you got something that didnt place any restrictions. Im pretty bummed i didnt get any scholarship or grants... But its all good..i thank God for provision. 8

Maybe it was changed last year. I think they adjust their rules every year. Thank you, i am so grateful i got the scholarship because i know it is not easy to get one. Thank God he still provided for you...
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Nobody: 10:36pm On Aug 08, 2015
Petitediva14:

Maybe it was changed last year. I think they adjust their rules every year. Thank you, i am so grateful i got the scholarship because i know it is not easy to get one. Thank God he still provided for you...

@justwise, spikec and anyone.

please i need clarification o. In the question, have you been issued any visa for the uk, uk overseas territories? yes

I have been issued visa before. however, i dont know what to fill in Date of Issue and Date of Expiry. Is the date my visa was issued and when it expired. Or is it the date my international passport was issued and when it will expire.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by thababe: 10:58pm On Aug 08, 2015
Usqoh. Its date of visa..

Pls see what gtb sent.. does thd highlighted part mean u cant pay ur fees with ur card? I was going to do gorm A but for some absurd reason my school says they dont accept transfers from over seas accounts. Only card payments or western union.

Dear Customer, 

Commencement of PTA and BTA Sales and Review of International Spending Limits on Your Naira MasterCard

This is to inform you that we will commence the sale of Personal and Business Travel Allowance (PTA & BTA) from Monday, 10th August 2015 at select branches across the country. This means that all intending travellers can now purchase foreign currency at designated GTBank branches up to a quarterly limit of $5,000 and $4,000 (for BTA and PTA respectively) or its equivalent in GBP and EURO.

Please find requirements below:

Business Travel Allowance (BTA)

Personal Travel Allowance (PTA)

Valid visa and return ticket

Valid International Passport

Copy of Certificate of Incorporation

Letter of Invitation from offshore business counter party

Letter of nomination from your employer

However, in view of the increased difficulty in sourcing foreign currency to settle international transactions on Naira MasterCards, we have reduced the daily international spending limit on your Naira MasterCard to $300.This means that you can only spend up to $300 daily when using your GTBank Naira MasterCard for international payments via POS and online.

You will, however continue to have the option of paying for medical bills, school fees, mortgages and credit cards using Form A, as these are eligible transactions for foreign currency. Simply visit any GTBank branch to complete a Form A along with the required documents to make these payments.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for every inconvenience this might cause, and we would like to assure you that we are working hard at finding alternative sources for foreign currency and a quick respite to this situation.
For ways we can help you, please contact our Card Services Team at cardservices@gtbank.com and our 24-hour contact centre, GTConnect on any of the numbers listed below.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by thababe: 10:59pm On Aug 08, 2015
Petitediva Thank God!
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by thababe: 11:07pm On Aug 08, 2015
Sorry for all the posting but im wondering if one can get pta from different banks?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Petitediva14(f): 11:44pm On Aug 08, 2015
usqoh:

please i need clarification o. In the question, have you been issued any visa for the uk, uk overseas territories? yes

I have been issued visa before. however, i dont know what to fill in Date of Issue and Date of Expiry. Is the date my visa was issued and when it expired. Or is it the date my international passport was issued and when it will expire.

There is a part where they ask if it is in any commonwealth countries like Ghana, south Africa, Australia and the rest. You have to state your purpose there and the day the visa was issued and when it expired. Then they also aks if you have been to any other country apart from UK, UK territories and commonwealth countries like France, uae, Saudi Arabia etc...

Check your passport/visa the day of issue is there.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Petitediva14(f): 11:49pm On Aug 08, 2015
thababe:
Sorry for all the posting but im wondering if one can get pta from different banks?

You can only get pta of $4000 from one bank every quarter. Once you get it, your passport would be stamped and no other bank would give you again that quarter.

As for the useless limit they have put, i have no choice than to pay for my remaining fees through form A (God willing I would be granted the visa). I don't need CBN and Naija wahala while I am there.

However if all these is to make Nigerian's economy better then we all need to bear with the government and pray that everything they are doing works. It is all good.

My problem is that return ticket o. I had no plan of booking a return ticket. I wonder if they would accept a one way ticket.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Petitediva14(f): 12:02am On Aug 09, 2015
thababe:
Usqoh. Its date of visa..

Pls see what gtb sent.. does thd highlighted part mean u cant pay ur fees with ur card? I was going to do gorm A but for some absurd reason my school says they dont accept transfers from over seas accounts. Only card payments or western union.

Dear Customer, 

Commencement of PTA and BTA Sales and Review of International Spending Limits on Your Naira MasterCard

This is to inform you that we will commence the sale of Personal and Business Travel Allowance (PTA & BTA) from Monday, 10th August 2015 at select branches across the country. This means that all intending travellers can now purchase foreign currency at designated GTBank branches up to a quarterly limit of $5,000 and $4,000 (for BTA and PTA respectively) or its equivalent in GBP and EURO.

Please find requirements below:

Business Travel Allowance (BTA)

Personal Travel Allowance (PTA)

Copy of Certificate of Incorporation

Letter of Invitation from offshore business counter party

Letter of nomination from your employer

However, in view of the increased difficulty in sourcing foreign currency to settle international transactions on Naira MasterCards, we have reduced the daily international spending limit on your Naira MasterCard to $300.This means that you can only spend up to $300 daily when using your GTBank Naira MasterCard for international payments via POS and online.

You will, however continue to have the option of paying for medical bills, school fees, mortgages and credit cards using Form A, as these are eligible transactions for foreign currency. Simply visit any GTBank branch to complete a Form A along with the required documents to make these payments.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for every inconvenience this might cause, and we would like to assure you that we are working hard at finding alternative sources for foreign currency and a quick respite to this situation.
For ways we can help you, please contact our Card Services Team at cardservices@gtbank.com and our 24-hour contact centre, GTConnect on any of the numbers listed below.

The idiots when sending it did not let people know that it is only those with current accounts that they prefer to do form A transfers for.....*nonsensebank* By the way I have a current account with them but the staff I met when I wanted to do the transfer were clueless. angry
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Nobody: 1:05am On Aug 09, 2015
@ Petitediva14 and thababe. thanks.

does it mean one cannot pay for visa online through gtb cos it is only it i use for internet banking and have token for. Unfortunately, money is not in d account now as i am waiting till Monday to transfer money there.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Nobody: 5:06am On Aug 09, 2015
I hope the sale of the dollars will extend to early September, cos we are hearing new rules everyday, I don't have my docs with me here
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by justwise(m): 6:29am On Aug 09, 2015
usqoh:

Check your passport and you will see all the info....e.g the date the visa was issued, if you have used the visa then look for entry and exit stamps on your passport.

You will see entry stamp into the UK and Nigerian immigration stamp of the day you returned to Nigeria.

They are asking about the visa and not your passport
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Nobody: 6:56am On Aug 09, 2015
justwise:

Check your passport and you will see all the info....e.g the date the visa was issued, if you have used the visa then look for entry and exit stamps on your passport.

You will see entry stamp into the UK and Nigerian immigration stamp of the day you returned to Nigeria.

They are asking about the visa and not your passport

THANK U BRO
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 09, 2015
idolda:

No

So how was your $500 online payment for UK 2 year visa solved?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by idolda: 7:50am On Aug 09, 2015
shrinkhal:

So how was your $500 online payment for UK 2 year visa solved?
Was able to make the payment later on. The problem was as a result of starting the application process early as I was told.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 09, 2015
@justwise, longest time grin!!! This thread is getting too lengthy oo. It's high time you start another one! Cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (478) (479) (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) ... (503)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 / Lets Talk About Estonia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.