Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,718 members, 7,824,042 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman (3188 Views)

Stop The Celebration: The New NNPC MD Is From Delta Igbo And Not An Igboman / PDP Lagos Flagbearer Jimi Agbaje Picks An Igboman as His Running Mate- Ifeduba / Is The President Of Gabon An Igboman? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by Obiagu1(m): 1:23am On Dec 17, 2011
There was the breaking of cola nuts, a sign of welcome into the home.

A chicken was placed in a cage, but later allowed to fly away. Soon, several elders and chiefs gathered around to perform the traditional rites. Then a new name was given.

That was part of the scene on March 26, 2011, when hundreds of family, friends and members of the Igbo tribe gathered to participate in a cultural day in Franklin, Tenn. The highlight of the event also included the renaming ceremony for Landon Jones, an African-American who had traced his ancestral roots to the tribe from southeastern Nigeria.

One of the largest ethnic groups in the West African nation – numbering more than 40 million

– Igbo populations also live outside the country, significantly in Gabon, South Africa, Canada, Germany, France, the United Kingdom , China, Japan and the United States.

“In our tribe, when a baby is born, we gave him three names and bring him out to the community,” said Chief Theo Egbujor, the Eze Udo I (King of peace) of the Igbo community in Nashville.

“This time, we have a young man who wanted to reconnect to his ancestral home; he was presented to us (elders); and we renamed him,” said Egbujor, who performed a traditional blessing.

Born in Peoria, Ill., Jones – now renamed Chinedu Uzoma Amaefula – is a senior at Tennessee State University in Nashville, where he is studying Africana studies. In 2009, he decided to trace his African roots and soon found that his father’s ancestors came from the Igbo tribe. He later was put in contact with the Igbo Association of Nashville, who organized the March 26 event.

“The discovery of my father’s roots set me on the course of regaining my consciousness of who I really am,” said Amaefula, 25. “My new name gives me a sense of identity with my African culture, land, heritage and tradition.”

Amaefula’s older brother, Oland Williams, who did not attend the Tennessee event, said he was proud of what his sibling had done.

“I think all black men should seek out their true history,” said Williams, who lives in Atlanta and plans one day to follow in his brother’s footsteps. “It gives value, importance and significance to who you really are.”

Amaefula’s new name has several meanings in the Igbo tribe: Chinedu (God leads/God guides/God dictates); Uzoma (good destiny/good vision/good path); and Amaefula (May the lineage not be lost/May the family name not be diminished/May posterity not be compromised).

“I’m very excited that Chinedu has been welcomed back home,” said Innocent Nwaogwugwu, president of the 500-member Igbo association. “He was lost, but is now found.”

Others from the Igbo tribe sent letters of congratulations to Amaefula, noting that they were pleased to welcome him into their fold.

“Congratulations, Chinedu. We thank God that this historic day came to be,” wrote Anthony Ejiofor of the Department of Biological Sciences at Tennessee State University.

“The mutual blessing would be unfathomable, and we look forward to opportunities to put the new genealogical status to work for the benefit of mankind.” Ejiofor said.

Stephen Chukwuemeka Uche added: “Our son Chinedu, it will be well with you. May you not falter! May this be the beginning of greater things for you. If you abide by the Nsọala/Nsọanị (Igbo ethics) that the Igbos that gathered may have told you, your distant Igbo ancestors will continue to celebrate and cheer for you.”

The more than three-hour, colorful renaming ceremony also featured cultural troupe performances by the Igbo Youth cultural dancers; an Ojionu masquerade; an Anambra Akwunechenyi dance and a fashion show.

Re: An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by PointB: 1:29am On Dec 17, 2011
Nice one. grin
Congratulations Chinedu, and welcome home!
Re: An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by Kilode1: 1:32am On Dec 17, 2011
Chinedu did not make a mistake. He chose well

1 Like

Re: An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by igbo2011(m): 2:04am On Dec 17, 2011
This is a good look. More African Americans should do this.
Re: An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by antartica(m): 2:14am On Dec 17, 2011
The ony time african americans and a the afro the blacks al over the world will find their footing is when they discover africa,when they find their roots.

And the only time african  inhabitants will find theirs is when thy learn to live with one another in harmony.
Re: An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by isalegan2: 2:33am On Dec 17, 2011
Very nice. It's good to hear it was all put together by the Igbo Association of Nashville. Every city with significant Naija population should have all the different associations and one or more umbrella organization for Naijas and Africans collectively.
Re: An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by Beaf: 2:55am On Dec 17, 2011
Nice one indeed! Congrats to Chinedu Uzoma Amaefula! we don kolobi anoda bruv! Pop sontin! grin grin grin
Lovely!

. . .But, am I the only one seeing the screaming contradiction? Landon Jones got renamed to Chinedu Uzoma Amaefula by  Chief Theo Egbujor, the Eze Udo I (King of peace) of the Igbo community in Nashville! Damn! How the phuck did Chief "Theo" not rename himself?
The time has come for us to begin to take pride in what is ours. Our names, our cultures and our abilities; people, please cease and desist from naming your kids "Theo," Bartholomew, Nebuchadnezzar, Marcelinus, Rabiu, Ismail and other names that are meaningless to our culture and are trademarks of mental slavery and low-self-esteem.

Let us all be Chinedu Uzoma Amaefula's! cool
Re: An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by Obiagu1(m): 3:06am On Dec 17, 2011
^^^

LMAO!

You're absolutely right. I'll probably be the last in my lineage that will bear an English name.
Re: An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by 9javoice1(m): 4:20am On Dec 17, 2011
to me "chinedu is wise"
none of my children will bear english name.

and i will change mine as soon as possible
Re: An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by ChinenyeN(m): 4:23am On Dec 17, 2011
A African American Black Man Officially Becomes an Igboman. . . . Officially Becomes? Seriously? Many many many things I would want to say, but only one question I actually care to ask: Since when did the "Igbo" develop a culture of naturalization? undecided

Anyway, more power to the guy, since he's looking to reestablish a connection with/to his roots. I can understand/commend that. Where in "Igbo" was he traced to?

By the way, what is this doing in Politics section?
Re: An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by dayokanu(m): 4:44am On Dec 17, 2011
Thats very good

Chinedu oya come settle boys for here ooo

Pay for Owo Omonile, Owo Bus Stop,
Re: An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by Onlytruth(m): 5:40am On Dec 17, 2011
Beaf:

Nice one indeed! Congrats to Chinedu Uzoma Amaefula! we don kolobi anoda bruv! Pop sontin! grin grin grin
Lovely!

. . .But, am I the only one seeing the screaming contradiction? Landon Jones got renamed to Chinedu Uzoma Amaefula by  Chief Theo Egbujor, the Eze Udo I (King of peace) of the Igbo community in Nashville! Damn! How the phuck did Chief "Theo" not rename himself?
The time has come for us to begin to take pride in what is ours. Our names, our cultures and our abilities; people, please cease and desist from naming your kids "Theo," Bartholomew, Nebuchadnezzar, Marcelinus, Rabiu, Ismail and other names that are meaningless to our culture and are trademarks of mental slavery and low-self-esteem.

Let us all be Chinedu Uzoma Amaefula's! cool

Endorsed! cool
Re: An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by Obiagu1(m): 3:20am On Jul 03, 2014
Re: An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by freshness2020: 3:26am On Jul 03, 2014
that's great Mr Chinedu my name sake!
A good step in the ryt direction!
God will will continue to lead you!
Re: An African American Officially Becomes An Igboman by Manazz(m): 4:34am On Jul 03, 2014
Hmmph! Its even an old topic bumped. Great!

(1) (Reply)

GEJ Must Go! Change Is Here In Nigeria! Reverend Father Ejike Mbaka / Photo Of Prof. Yemi Osinbajo,His Mum And His Brother Akin Osinbajo / When An APC Chieftain Ask You To Bring Your CV (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.