Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,396 members, 7,853,755 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 11:28 PM

Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (42405 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 1:05am On Dec 18, 2011
@Rad1cal, you still have not proved to me that you are not a BASTARD. u keep attacking individuals. Write sentence, wahala! Go get a life
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by jmaine: 1:20am On Dec 18, 2011
Edited  . . wrong quoting . .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 2:02am On Dec 18, 2011
I am quite amazed at all the emotions displayed so far, but hardly any gainful analysis of the toll situation. All I see are abuses and various vituperations. It's quite a bad taste indeed.

For me, the Lekki toll situation is first a lesson for Fashola in public perception management and also ability to engage stakeholders properly.

Truth be told, prior to the LCC's so called "adding one extra lane",  a trip from Chevron to Ozumba junction can take like 3 hours!!! Now that same journey takes about 15 minutes. Which one would Lekki residents prefer?

The so called alternative route through Oniru did exist before the LCC construction, but what was its state prior to now, how many people ventured to pass there when the Mobil junction was still a single lane? Now that same road can be used as an alternative to the 1st Toll Plaza. So indeed there is an alternative route if one doesn't feel inclined to pay toll, only problem is you can't expect the alternative to be as good as the main one.

Now many have said it is not only the rich that stay in Lekki, that is indeed the truth. The other truth however is that the poor should not pay, AND they would not pay. They do not pay as they simply do not own cars. The toll is for vehicles passing, not for human beings. And BRT buses are available as public transport for them to use.

Also while Lekki is majorly residential, there are many companies also making Lekki there head office/warehouse/factory/office thus Lekki is not entirely residential as there is even an EPZ right there.

Now tell me, why is the computed cost for the so called average "poor family" in Lekki based on 2 cars!!! Are we saying a family with 2 cars is poor To my mind the average poor family would not have 2 cars, neither would they need to commute to VI daily except they work there. Also, the only reasons indigenes would commute to VI daily is for work, or are they going on a visit to relations daily?

This is a protest by the elites who wants to enjoy the benefits of the expanded road but would rather not pay a dime to get it maintained. The hypocrisy needs to stop. This so called villagers are using that same upgraded road as reason to sell their lands at 2.5M per plot rather than the 900K it was before the upgrade. So who is fooling who?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 2:19am On Dec 18, 2011
Iolo:

Length of Road in question = 49.4km
Work Done = Addition of a single lane on both sides, road infrastructure
Number of Toll Gates = 3

And this is what these guys want to charge N150 for per vehicle for 30 years? Just adding a single lane on both sides and building fly over bridges? Does this even make sense at all?

[B] BEFORE: [/B]
Length of road = 49km
No of lanes = 2
Pedestrian bridge = 0
TIME TO TRAVEL = 3 hours

[B] AFTER [/B]
Length of road = 49km
No of lanes = 3
Pedestrian bridge = 1
TIME TO TRAVEL = 30 mins (0.5 hours)

Not considering the smoothness of the ride and safety, do you see the difference and what someone would be willing to pay for?

Time to travel
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 2:41am On Dec 18, 2011
Arab spring almost here.BRF government is over.He is not different frm PDP afterall!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by obowunmi(m): 3:03am On Dec 18, 2011
Akainzo, very brilliant response and post.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 3:45am On Dec 18, 2011
Akainzo:

[B] BEFORE: [/B]
    Length of road = 49km
          No of lanes = 2
Pedestrian bridge = 0
TIME TO TRAVEL = 3 hours

[B] AFTER [/B]
    Length of road = 49km
         No of lanes = 3
Pedestrian bridge = 1
TIME TO TRAVEL = 30 mins  (0.5 hours)

Not considering the smoothness of the ride and safety, do you see the difference and what someone would be willing to pay for?

Time to travel

WOW . . . Some of you actually think very low of yourselves as citizens . . . .  you have very very low standards, don't you.

Adding a a lane to a 30 mile stretch of an existing road is enough of a reason for 3 toll gates to be installed on it, and the existing lanes, with no other explanations necessary You already pay much of the State's taxes, and practically get nothing else but this one lane added, but that should be reason enough why more levies be imposed on you all?? If this is what makes sense to you, why not suggest that every stretch of road, greater than 10 miles, constructed/renovated/patched in that state ought to be tolled then?

WOW . God have mercy, We have a long way to go in getting rid of this "woe is me, and so less is what I deserve" mentality down there. It is really is disgusting thinking.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by dayokanu(m): 4:34am On Dec 18, 2011
Akaizo nice response
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 4:35am On Dec 18, 2011
dayokanu:

Akaizo nice response

What exactly is nice about his response? If you understood his post, you ought to be able to interpret, right? So what did he say that makes sense to you?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 4:49am On Dec 18, 2011
^^^ Some LOOSERS will never make their own point & ef OFF, they must show the whole world how much of a BASTARD, that was raised in a MOTHERLESS home they are. Did somebody teach you how to respect people and their own opinion? No, keep disgracing yourself & your background.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 4:52am On Dec 18, 2011
Yes, respect for opinions of others .  . . this is from one calling people names all day because they chose not to be dragged down the tunnel he mind is stuck in . . . . looser - basta*d - motherless   . . . . etc.  Dude, go get yourself checked. Are you @Musiwa's brother or something?

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by dayokanu(m): 4:59am On Dec 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

What exactly is nice about his response? If you understood his post, you ought to be able to interpret, right? So what did he say that makes sense to you?

What I understand from his response is that

A journey of 3 hrs now takes 30minutes. HUGE improvement

There is an alternative route which is not tolled.

BRT buses ply those routes and offer a way out for the poor people who dont have cars
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 5:08am On Dec 18, 2011
dayokanu:

What I understand from his response is that

A journey of 3 hrs now takes 30minutes. HUGE improvement

There is an alternative route which is not tolled.

BRT buses ply those routes and offer a way out for the poor people who dont have cars

A journey of 3 hours(not even measured) now takes 30 minutes(again not measured) ON THE SAME EXACT ROAD by just adding one more lane.  grin grin grin grin   . .  . . . .  Wow . . . the world must know of this  . ,  . .  grin

There is a thin one lane alternative route --- essentially, take 1-94 from the people, and give them a backyard road, not even Lakeshore drive. And call it an alternative route, right?? . . . . .  WOW. . . For one who claims to live in America, you have really low standards for those in ESPECIALLY LAGOS, or any ACN state, don't you. . . . . grin grin grin grin grin

BRT buses ply the highway so ALL poor must take the bus . . . . WOW . . . . . . WOW . . . .   grin grin grin grin grin .

So low . . . . . so very low . . . . Why do I suddenly feel fuel subsidy removal is also right, if we consider all you have above? I mean we can as well say the Poor can take the bus in that too . . . .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Rad1cal: 5:14am On Dec 18, 2011
So Akainzo is indirectly telling us that the usual Lekki traffic jam has being solved . .You need to do more than peddle that falsehood .

i have friends who spend hours on that road, to the extent they leave their office around 10:30pm just to beat the traffic .

come up with something better .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by KoReS292(m): 5:18am On Dec 18, 2011
@akaizo u r either the worlds greatest retard or u have rily low expectations for ur life, if the road was newly constructed we might reluctantly give it to them but this is just adding some extra lanes to a road that leads to a rapidly expanding area it is not only expected from the government it is basic common sense
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by EagleNest(m): 5:20am On Dec 18, 2011
Fashola should bow his head in shame. Peaceful protesters should not be attacked for whatever reason. The toll gate issue is quite sensitive and should be handled carefully. Leaders shuld try and listen to the voice of their people. ACN have eventually become PDP, there is no difference again. Personally, I salute the courage of the protesters b/c injustice can only be addressed if u cry out loud. This is a wake-up call to Govt especially as we enter 2012.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 5:27am On Dec 18, 2011
Friends, let us get some things straight here:
1. The road was not only expanded, it was built at some points,raised at other points, road infrastructure was adequately provided and these include street lights, traffic lights, camera,among many others; The road was constructed to meet int'l standards.
2. The road was fenced with clear view fences and concrete fences in order to minimize the way vehicles access the expressway. This will reduce accidents and other hazards.
3. The road is under surveillance 24/7; this means that the safety of the road users is being put into perspective.
4. Free towing services and accident rescue is being provided on the road 24/7; and its totally free. This started in Oct 2009. I will like to cite an example here: on nov 17 2010; an trailer loaded with 33000l of PMS fell while negotiating the first roundabout at lekki phase one, the incident was managed by LCC route patrol team and other service agencies; there was no single spark, not to talk of fire. I tell you friends, the incident was managed for 12 hours and vehicles were moving even going through the accident scene. No life was lost and no property was destroyed. This is one among many ghastly and fatal accidents that occur along that axis. These accidents occur because of our people's way of driving.
5. Tolling has only commenced at admiralty circle toll plaza, and there are alternative routes if you do not wish to pay toll.
6. Pedestrian bridges were constructed at various points to reduce fatal accidents involving pedestrians.
7. The road is a private road, and this means someone or a group of people are accountable for the road. You can hold someone responsible if you are not getting value for your money
8. The toll fee depends on the vehicle class; for saloon cars- toll fee is N120; while SUVs is N150. This payment option is flexible as it is easy to pay electronically and enjoy discount. As the number of trips increases, road users are entitled to discounts which can total up to 60% in a month, provided the road user pays via e-tag (a form of electronic payment)
9. Tolling is done in developed countries in the world.
10.This is just a part; I will continue from there some other time.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 5:44am On Dec 18, 2011
feature11:

Friends, let us get some things straight here:
1. The road was not only expanded, it was built at some points,raised at other points, road infrastructure was adequately provided and these include street lights, traffic lights, camera,among many others; The road was constructed to meet int'l standards.
2. The road was fenced with clear view fences and concrete fences in order to minimize the way vehicles access the expressway. This will reduce accidents and other hazards.

Correction! The Eko Expressway was of international standards back when it was built. That it had to be upgraded to newer standards is part of maintenance work done on roads across the globe.

Public roads are revamped from time to time, and governments look to taxes to cover cost of the maintenance work required. Closing up a stretch of the road simply because it had to be revamped, and some extra doohickeys plugged in, is not enough of a reason to close up the road. I mean, installing fences, traffic lights, cameras, fences? Why aren't other roads with the same installs being tolled?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 5:46am On Dec 18, 2011
feature11:

3. The road is under surveillance 24/7; this means that the safety of the road users is being put into perspective.

But this is not the only road, even in Lagos State, that is under what you would consider 24/7 surveillance. So again, why is this different from other roads
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 5:49am On Dec 18, 2011
feature11:

4. Free towing services and accident rescue is being provided on the road 24/7; and its totally free. This started in Oct 2009. I will like to cite an example here: on nov 17 2010; an trailer loaded with 33000l of PMS fell while negotiating the first roundabout at lekki phase one, the incident was managed by LCC route patrol team and other service agencies; there was no single spark, not to talk of fire. I tell you friends, the incident was managed for 12 hours and vehicles were moving even going through the accident scene. No life was lost and no property was destroyed. This is one among many ghastly and fatal accidents that occur along that axis. These accidents occur because of our people's way of driving.

Let's assume for a minute that the free towing service is part reason why 3 toll stations need to be placed on just 30 mile stretch of renovation done on this road. What you are saying is that even if I never need to use this service, I still get it imposed on me?? Even though I probably have lived in Lekki for well over 20 years, and never minded that I did not have free towing service, a service I don't even care for my government to offer me, since my insurance company can adequately offer me this same service?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 5:58am On Dec 18, 2011
feature11:

5. Tolling has only commenced at admiralty circle toll plaza, and there are alternative routes if you do not wish to pay toll.
But there is only one route named as the official alternative route and this route was not worked on by the government to at least improve it to sufficiently serve as an alternative to an expressway.

Expressway alternative routes need to at least be able to carry comparable traffic. A one lane thin strip(according to one of those who claimed it was not fit as an alternative), probably through someone's back yard, does not sound much like a worthy alternative route to an expressway, that is being taken away from the people simply because the government decided to add one more lane to a 30 mile stretch of it, some lights, cameras and towing service.

feature11:

6. Pedestrian bridges were constructed at various points to reduce fatal accidents involving pedestrians.
So charge motorists for pedestrians using those bridges ON AN EXPRESSWAY huh?? WOW . . . . ROFL

feature11:

7. The road is a private road, and this means someone or a group of people are accountable for the road. You can hold someone responsible if you are not getting value for your money

Lekki Expressway, Private Road? WHEN shocked shocked shocked

feature11:

9. Tolling is done in developed countries in the world.
10.This is just a part; I will continue from there some other time.

Yes, you are right that Tolling is done in developed countries, and under developed ones too. Only it is not done in this way, I am sorry to break that to you. Also, alternative routes to highways are usually almost identical to the highways themselves, except that traffic on them are sometimes slower and the drivers may have to deal with such things as numerous traffic stops, and drive slower due to slower traffic miles per hour requirements.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by dayokanu(m): 6:55am On Dec 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Let's assume for a minute that the free towing service is part reason why 3 toll stations need to be placed on just 30 mile stretch of renovation done on this road. What you are saying is that even if I never need to use this service, I still get it imposed on me?? Even though I probably have lived in Lekki for well over 20 years, and never minded that I did not have free towing service, a service I don't even care for my government to offer me, since my insurance company can adequately offer me this same service?

But some people have been driving for 10yrs never had an accident, Does that exempt them from paying Insurance?

Since they can also argue that: even if I never need to use this service, I still get it imposed on me??

And which insurance company in Nigeria offer free towing service
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by bukkytroni: 6:59am On Dec 18, 2011
Collection of Tolls commenced exactly at 12:00am MIDNIGHT
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 7:03am On Dec 18, 2011
dayokanu:

But some people have been driving for 10yrs never had an accident, Does that exempt them from paying Insurance?

Since they can also argue that: even if I never need to use this service, I still get it imposed on me??

And which insurance company in Nigeria offer free towing service

Well, insurance argument is on the side since it is imposed for a valid reason. For every one person you find out there that has never had an accident in 10 years. You are likely to find about or 5 whose record is not as clean. And getting insurance is not just to guard you but most of all to protect others from the possible consequences of your choice to drive. And some insurance companies are able to throw in free towing service in their pack since they also realize that when cars get into accidents, they likely require towing then.

Comparing Towing service to insurance service, is like comparing  6-month dental cleaning suggestion to  Medical insurance necessity. You can go years without getting a cleaning . . . . heck, you can get away with carrying decayed dentures for years. But you cannot do same if you have a medical condition.

I don't know any that has it as of today but I do know my dad used to have his mechanic help him with towing needs back in the days, and his insurance man helped out a couple of times too.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 7:16am On Dec 18, 2011
God bless you Akainzo
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kinikini: 7:19am On Dec 18, 2011
[b]AKAINZO

I am quite amazed at all the emotions displayed so far, but hardly any gainful analysis of the toll situation. All I see are abuses and various vituperations. It's quite a bad taste indeed.

For me, the Lekki toll situation is first a lesson for Fashola in public perception management and also ability to engage stakeholders properly.

Truth be told, prior to the LCC's so called "adding one extra lane",  a trip from Chevron to Ozumba junction can take like 3 hours!!! Now that same journey takes about 15 minutes. Which one would Lekki residents prefer?

The so called alternative route through Oniru did exist before the LCC construction, but what was its state prior to now, how many people ventured to pass there when the Mobil junction was still a single lane? Now that same road can be used as an alternative to the 1st Toll Plaza. So indeed there is an alternative route if one doesn't feel inclined to pay toll, only problem is you can't expect the alternative to be as good as the main one.

Now many have said it is not only the rich that stay in Lekki, that is indeed the truth. The other truth however is that the poor should not pay, AND they would not pay. They do not pay as they simply do not own cars. The toll is for vehicles passing, not for human beings. And BRT buses are available as public transport for them to use.

Also while Lekki is majorly residential, there are many companies also making Lekki there head office/warehouse/factory/office thus Lekki is not entirely residential as there is even an EPZ right there.

Now tell me, why is the computed cost for the so called average "poor family" in Lekki based on 2 cars!!! Are we saying a family with 2 cars is poor To my mind the average poor family would not have 2 cars, neither would they need to commute to VI daily except they work there. Also, the only reasons indigenes would commute to VI daily is for work, or are they going on a visit to relations daily?

This is a protest by the elites who wants to enjoy the benefits of the expanded road but would rather not pay a dime to get it maintained. The hypocrisy needs to stop. This so called villagers are using that same upgraded road as reason to sell their lands at 2.5M per plot rather than the 900K it was before the upgrade. So who is fooling who?
[/b]

This is a concoction of lies to that only those who don't live on this axis will believe.

Truth be told, traffic have not improved on the road. Compare off peak traffic to peak traffic as evidence of dicongestion is cheap lies. Between Lekki R/about and Ozumba link bridge, it still takes average one hour during peak traffic for a distance of one kilometer orthereabout.

The so called elite you accuse of wanting free service actually pay heavy taxes for no service. My family along pays N300K per month and we would be making nothing less than N50,000 monthly to go to that work that generate N300K to LASG. Is this fair?

AKAINZO please note
Only those who collude with the ACN thieves will endorse the day light robbery called tolling.

Attached are pictures of ACN thugs departing after beating us up at the protest yesterday.

Good government you will say.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 7:21am On Dec 18, 2011
No where in the world but Nigeria will a poor man have 2 cars; hope the company have started collecting their toll. And to kinikini, your family pays 300k to LASG for what.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 7:23am On Dec 18, 2011
Why should peaceful protesters compel by force law abiding citizens going about their business in their cars?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 7:24am On Dec 18, 2011
otokx:

No where in the world but Nigeria will a poor man have 2 cars; hope the company have started collecting their toll. And to kinikini, your family pays 300k to LASG for what.

Do we really need to tell these lies for pete's sake? And what has two cars to do with this?

And the question you asked @Kinikini, is that really what you ought to be asking? Why are you not asking your Government how come the taxes collected from the Lekki area, was not enough to handle the renovation work and why it did not reveal this and more to the people??
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by dayokanu(m): 7:30am On Dec 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Well, insurance argument is on the side since it is imposed for a valid reason. For every one person you find out there that has never had an accident in 10 years. You are likely to find about or 5 whose record is not as clean. And getting insurance is not just to guard you but most of all to protect others from the possible consequences of your choice to drive. And some insurance companies are able to throw in free towing service in their pack since they also realize that when cars get into accidents, they likely require towing then.
Comparing Towing service to insurance service, is like comparing  6-month dental cleaning suggestion to  Medical insurance necessity. You can go years without getting a cleaning . . . . heck, you can get away with carrying decayed dentures for years. But you cannot do same if you have a medical condition.
I don't know any that has it as of today but I do know my dad used to have his mechanic help him with towing needs back in the days, and his insurance man helped out a couple of times too.

Just like some people need the towing service and use the service.

The towing service is not only for the users benefit but for other road users.

A car breaks down in the middle of the road, if not cleared ASAP, might lead to more accidents and traffic build up behind.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kinikini: 7:36am On Dec 18, 2011
PERSONAL INCOME TAX FOR MY ME AND WIFE AMOUNT TO N300K PER MONTH.

WHY ON EARTH SHOULD WE PAY N50K TO GO TO THAT WORK.

IS THIS GOVERNANCE. THEY ARE NOT EVEN TALKING OF TAX REBATE.

THEIR CHIEF TAX OFFICER BLEW WHOOPING AMOUNTS ON DAUGTHER'S WEDDING EVIDENCE OF FRAUD IN TAX MANAGEMENT YET THE ACN GOONS HAVE DONE NOTHING TO IT.

MONKEY DEY WORK BABOON DEY CHOP, AND MUMU WEY DEY RECEIVE CRUMBS TODAY DEY SUPPORT D BABOONS.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by lukkie(m): 7:39am On Dec 18, 2011
Akainzo's response just shows that he has accepted his fate that he is a slave to the govt and does not know his rights. If Fashola/Tinubu asks for his wife he'll dash them and then write,

Before (With wife )
Feeding allowance - N40,000

After (Without wife)
Feeding allowance - N25,000    I am a winner.

Sorry, some of us know our rights.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (23) (Reply)

PDP Senators Kick As Buhari Fails To Submit List Of Ministers - Vanguard / Enugu Youths Chase Fulani Herdsmen & Their Cows Away From Their Farmlands (Video / "One Meal A Day": The Only Promise Buhari Has Fulfilled - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.