Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,931 members, 7,835,109 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (42372 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by manny4life(m): 8:12pm On Dec 17, 2011
Damn, so many of you guys are really angry, yall take it easy. The last thing you wanna mess with is them police officers who discharge their weapons anyhow they please; it will be unfortunate if someone is a victim.

@TRUTHTELA, you speak the truth in you words, I hope Nigerians will rise someday to protest about these govt policies.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 8:14pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ Eros, there we go! you all fail to check their PEDIGREE before you ELECT. Nigerians are so mad with Jonathan now, but SENTIMENTS  ( southern president )did not allow them to ask who is Jonathan & is he capable? Is toll fee the only thing you think that is WRONG in Nigeria? The protest should be about TOLL, SUBSIDY, CORRUPTION, etc. That's my take.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by eros(m): 8:14pm On Dec 17, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

I'm so upset with these Lekki toll protesters. Mopol, should kick them out there. Is it now that they WAKE UP? All i'm saying is THERE SHOULD BE A GENERAL PROTEST ABOUT GOVT POLICIES IN TOTALITY & A PROTEST THAT WILL LEAD TO REVOLUTION. Is it only the Toll fee, that Lekki residents see as  BAD & UNFAIR Govt policy? everything is wrong with Nigeria. It's a SHAME that their protest is against their immidiate enviroment. Little minds. They should be reminded that Egyptians are still protesting, against what? BAD GOVT. Is that toll fee the only thing they see WRONG in Nigeria? They must pay it.

We will get there. Nigerians are beginning to get out of their comfort zones. Before now everybody is scared to die, don't want to go through the trouble of walking on the streets protesting because we always thought it will amount to nothing.

Now we have seen that when a people raise against their government, they can actually win and kick that evil government out of power. This battle against the toll gate will and must be won, thereafter we will all take on ODECHUKWU
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 17, 2011
@TRUTHTELA You sound upset and that blurs your thought sensors, did you notice you kept repeating "they" "they" "they". No only us for lekki go protest national problems ? We protest an immediate problem, you can start protesting your immediate problem, the trials will determine the success of the greater goal. Stop that "they""they""they" silly rantings.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 8:20pm On Dec 17, 2011
LeoMax:

@TRUTHTELA You sound upset and that blurs your thought sensors, did you notice you kept repeating "they" "they" "they". No only us for lekki go protest national problems ? We protest an immediate problem, you can start protesting your immediate problem, the trials will determine the success of the greater goal. Stop that "they""they""they" silly rantings.

THANK YOU!!!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 8:23pm On Dec 17, 2011
@eros, That's not TRUE, my family lives in NORTHERN FORSHORE Lekki. Do you live in Lekki? Why I ask this is because, thousands of people that in my estate will not leave the COMFORT of their HOMES to face MAD MOPOLs. The estate provides everything & people do not see any reason to go & risk their lives over something they can afford. Lekki residents ( the ones i know though ) ARE NOT READY TO RISK THEIR LIVES. IT will fade away by Monday, when they will need to go & work for the money they will use to buy COMFORT. My guy, FORGET NAIJA, we're not there YET, it's all a wish!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by eros(m): 8:24pm On Dec 17, 2011
LeoMax:

@TRUTHTELA You sound upset and that blurs your thought sensors, did you notice you kept repeating "they" "they" "they".  No only us for lekki go protest national problems ? We protest an immediate problem, you can start protesting your immediate problem, the trials will determine the success of the greater goal. Stop that "they""they""they" silly rantings.

This is one of the reasons we have not been able to do anything about these blood sucking policies our government keep imposing on us, because some of us think we are not affected. Whether I live in Lekki or not, the toll affects me because I will ply that road someday. We should always see everything going wrong with Nigeria as a collective problem, whether it is in the West, East, South or North.

Nigeria is ours and we will build it together and not by just one man as Fashola likes to think that he has transferred Lagos. Did he use his money or father's money to transform Lagos  
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 8:27pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ Leomax, I aired my opinions, you can make yours without using ABUSIVE words on me. Can't Nigerians discuss intelligently on a SUBJECT, without showing that they were raised as BASTARDS with any sense of decency?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 8:27pm On Dec 17, 2011
LeoMax:

Now I know Jonathan was right when he said SW Governors are rascals. The ACN crew just confirmed it. You dont toll residential roads. Only Interstate State roads are tarred in civil worlds

Not true. The Brooklyn end of  The Verrazzano Bridge (leading into Staten Island) is tolled. But this seems to be insensitive of the Lagos State Govt.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by psalmizt(m): 8:28pm On Dec 17, 2011
No 1 problem with Nigeria
TRUTHTELA:

Lekki residents must PAY for that TOLL, cos, people like them destroyed Nigeria with their " [size=30pt]IT's NOT MY BUSINESS ATTITUDE [/size]". They thought Govt policies can only affect the poor.

All you guys writing CRAP here, millons of Lekki residents are willing to pay. The people I know in Lekki, does not have time to challenge govt.They will pay, Wait till Monday. When they will be so anxious to get to their ALMIGHTY OFFICE. They do not care, stop having headache over something that is not yours.

If you call for protest against FUEL SUBSIDY or the FED. Govt toll gates on FEDERAL HIGHWAYS, this same Lekki, people will not see it as an IMPORTANT THING.
[size=18pt]This is the kind of analyses that shld be out there for the world to see, OCCUPY LAGOS BECKONS[/size]
Remii:

Come to think of it, what is the gain of people living at the Lekki axis after paying 20% of Total Remuneration to Lagos as tax with  No govt water, no govt schools or hospital, now tool gate will collect average of N544,320 per year from a family with 2 cars (1 SUV + 1 Saloon car, leaving after LBS).
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by eros(m): 8:29pm On Dec 17, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

@eros, That's not TRUE, my family lives in NORTHERN FORSHORE Lekki. Do you live in Lekki? Why I ask this is because, thousands of people that in my estate will not leave the COMFORT of their HOMES to face MAD MOPOLs. The estate provides everything & people do not see any reason to go & risk their lives over something they can afford. Lekki residents ( the ones i know though ) ARE NOT READY TO RISK THEIR LIVES. IT will fade away by Monday, when they will need to go & work for the money they will use to buy COMFORT. My guy, FORGET NAIJA, we're not there YET, it's all a wish!

This is a very wrong way to deal with this kind of situation. Your family and other people in their estate are just a handful of people who live in Lekki. Don't forget there are poor or average people in Ibeju-Lekki, Ajah, Epe and other remote areas inside Lekki and Ajah. Don't also forget that, Lekki and Ajah is originally the village to so many poor residents of that area.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Skii(m): 8:32pm On Dec 17, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

@ Leomax, I aired my opinions, you can make yours without using ABUSIVE words on me. Can't Nigerians discuss intelligently on a SUBJECT, without showing that they were raised as BASTARDS with any sense of decency?

I tire o,,,always trying to demonstrate they can type (speak) english,
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 8:32pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ eros THANK YOU! Why did'nt people from Lekki go to support LASU students when they were protesting against HIKE in their school fees. I tell you what, Lekki residents will never protest against SUBSIDY REMOVAL. WHY? WHY?, When they get to any gas station & they attendant will tell them the current price ( 150 ),they'll only speak ENGLISH, WITH BRITISH or AMERICAN ACCENT, @ that point & that's it. he or she will buy full tank & drive off. I understnad you, but we are not such people.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 8:35pm On Dec 17, 2011
Yes, before the people in Lekki can legitimately protest that which is local to them, they ought to first go out to other parts of Lagos to protest causes that do not directly affect them. Yes Lekki residents, ought to first protest LASU, protest closure of stores in Computer Village, Protest the handling of road constructions in Ikorodu/idumota area etc. Heck, they should protest Boko Haram in maidugri before they can protest that which affects them right there in Lekki where they live. BRILLIANT !!!

What next? Lekki folks should fly out to Wall Street to protest Wall Street before they can rightly protest Government imposing toll on them right there in Lekki.

Quite a lot of geniuses in the house today  . . . .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by emmatok(m): 8:39pm On Dec 17, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

@ eros THANK YOU! Why did'nt people from Lekki go to support LASU students when they were protesting against HIKE in their school fees. I tell you what, Lekki residents will never protest against SUBSIDY REMOVAL. WHY? WHY?, When they get to any gas station & they attendant will tell them the current price ( 150 ),they'll only speak ENGLISH, WITH BRITISH or AMERICAN ACCENT, @ that point & that's it. he or she will buy full tank & drive off. I understnad you, but we are not such people.

LOL,

Stop generalizing, those rich people you are talking about are few.

70% of Lekki residence are poor.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 8:40pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ eros, you are getting it wrong. Those indigenous people are not POOR. If they are poor, they are suppose to have been fighting against that toll building before now. The so called POOR people are also Nigerians, ( DOCILE , COWARDS & CREDULOUS) ,but are they suppose to be living under that conidtion that you called POOR? They live below poverty line & they are not worried, which baffles a lot of non-Nigerians. Millions of EGYPTIANS & LIBYANS are better off than the POOR people in Nigeria, yet, they risked their lives & kicked out their own MONSTERS. But your own POOR will rather go to CHURCH  or MOSQUE to pray for teir LEADERS. Lol. Nigerians!!! Geez.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by psalmizt(m): 8:44pm On Dec 17, 2011
@Seun, pls let there be a like button in NL nau, So many comments in this thread that I want to like, cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 8:45pm On Dec 17, 2011
Yes, never mind that this fight has been going on for the good part of the last two years ooo . . . it is still not a good time for them to protest the toll gate issue that affects them in some way.  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin  

Nigerians ehn . . . . don't you just love it when some elements try to pretend they are more enlightened than they really are.  grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 8:45pm On Dec 17, 2011
FYI, wallstreet, protesters are not even POOR & their protest was not about something that AFFECTED THEM DIRECTLY. It was about everything that was wrong in their society, which includes " Govt should not bailout wallstreet", Libyans faced Gadafi, Egyptians, faced Mubarak, & they did not wait for when something DIRECTLY AFFECTS them. JUXTAPOSE them & your own Lekki protest
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 8:46pm On Dec 17, 2011

aarrrgghhh . . . It keeps coming up with more crock!!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 8:50pm On Dec 17, 2011
Let's wait & see how these Lekki residents will react about SUBSIDY REMOVAL in January. They all voted for Jonathan & not PDP. I told people that Nigerians have lost the PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION. It was not Buhari that LOST. We fail to vote for an HONEST candidate that will not STEAL PUBLIC FUNDS, simply because of PRIMODIAL SENTIMENTS. This is just the beginging, Jonathan should hasten the susbsidy removal.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 8:52pm On Dec 17, 2011
Oh please give it a rest already . . . . this thread is on Occupy Lekki . . if you want to rant about people not joining you to protest subsidy, or LASU, or any other cause, create other threads and whine there all you want. jeezzz
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 8:57pm On Dec 17, 2011
^^^ I know that DECENT words are alien to HOES, but do not use them on moi. LEKKI PROTEST, SUSBSIDY, & LASU are all intertwined. They're all BAD POLICIES, BAD POLICIES & bad policies. Write your view & do not dictate to the next man what he should write.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 9:00pm On Dec 17, 2011

WOW . . .  the one who descends to calling others Bas-tards and 'HOES', talks of them being the ones who lack decent words. . . . . classic ROFL

Again . . . .
Kobojunkie:

Oh please give it a rest already . . . . this thread is on Occupy Lekki  . .  if you want to rant about people not joining you to protest subsidy, or LASU, or any other cause, create other threads and whine there all you want. jeezzz

Hijacking a thread specifically on occupying Lekki and then rambling about how every one of them protesters is wrong for not protesting according to your rules is clear sign that you need to get yourself some help there. Go open your own Occupy "THE CAUSE I WANT EVERYONE TO PROTEST ON" thread and they will come if they want to.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 9:02pm On Dec 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Yes, never mind that this fight has been going on for the good part of the last two years ooo . . . it is still not a good time for them to protest the toll gate issue that affects them in some way.  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin  

Nigerians ehn . . . . don't you just love it when some elements try to pretend they are more enlightened than they really are.  grin grin grin grin grin grin

what exactly are u arguing about ?

the point of the toll gate or what exactly

if toll gate, you have not really made any point undecided
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 9:04pm On Dec 17, 2011
emmatok:

You want to compare a salary earner with 100k car and a big man with N12m car with N42m mansion.

You also forget that transporter will increase their fees.

How salary earner can buy a house in those estates.

They don't come cheap. wink wink wink

LOL transporters can be excluded as well.

those houses are not meant for "ordinary salary earners" you need to be big to live in such as enivor wink
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by MyloXyloto: 9:12pm On Dec 17, 2011
Na where dem import these two mumu called Alj Harem and Truth Teller come from sef?

Alj Harem na illiterate speaking rubbish and truthteller na grammarian speaking rubbish sef.

@Truth teller, so because I no follow pursue armed robber wey come steal for my neighbour house, that means say i no get right to pursu thief wey come my house abi?

Which kain mumu logic be that?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by gidiMonsta(m): 9:13pm On Dec 17, 2011
Come on guys the protest is a stupid waste of time, there are alternatives for those who cant or think they cant afford the tolls; the govt has provided BRT buses that ply the route, there is a waterway from ajah to VI and the worst the commercial drivers will do is add N30 to the transport fare. So park your cars at home and let the roads be less congested jare, make we reduce carbon emissions.

The 3 toll gates are too much tho and the N150 levy should be reviewed downward.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 9:14pm On Dec 17, 2011
MyloXyloto:

Na where dem import these two mumu called Alj Harem and Truth Teller come from sef?

Alj Harem na illiterate speaking rubbish and truthteller na grammarian speaking rubbish sef.

@Truth teller, so because I no follow pursue armed robber wey come steal for my neighbour house, that means say i no get right to pursu thief wey come my house abi?

Which kain mumu logic be that?

you have not made any point you know !!!!!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 9:15pm On Dec 17, 2011
gidiMonsta:

Come on guys the protest is a silly waste of time, there are alternatives for those who cant or think they cant afford the tolls; the govt has provided BRT buses that ply the route, there is a waterway from ajah to VI and the worst the commercial drivers will do is add N30 to the transport fare. So park your cars at home and let the roads be less congested jare, make we reduce carbon emissions.

The 3 toll gates are too much tho and the N150 levy should be reviewed downward.

thank you

my point excatly. We have too many mumu's in nigeria, I no go lie
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 9:16pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ Looser, I analyzed the THREAD as I deem fit. It's my prerogative to write things my OWN way. I stayed on the subject. What the " efing ' Biz do you have with my views? Write your own views & stop being a typical loser by trying to analyze my words. Why would you use the word RANT? I know  B$#ches & Losers can't do without using OFFENSIVE words. Too bad, I have not patient for Y'all.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kinikini: 9:17pm On Dec 17, 2011
A protester’s account of Occupy Lekki Protest

My husband and I were there at the protest.  We are survivors.  
It was a peaceful protest (chanting and singing protest songs.)  The heavily armed police men harrased, arrested some of the crowd un-necessarily and did all they could to disrupt the protest.  The next thing we knew was tear gas shot into the crowd of peaceful protesters.  The next assault came from hired thugs, ACN members.  They came in cars and buses and started beating up the crowd. People were running helter-skelter (including females) and some had to jump over the fence built by LCC and injured themselves in the process. My husband and I were amongst the lucky few to have left the scene a bit later than most others, we had to quickly remove the protest T-shirts and caps when we were chased and almost beaten by the thugs.  We had the opportunity on our way home, in our car to recognise the same thugs who harassed us, in their vehicles leaving the scene and branching off at Jakande bus-stop.  They had ACN banners in these vehicles. In fact, they were making a show of their thuggery from the Maruwa round about (where we sighted them) till they branched off at Jakande roundabout. Obviously hired thugs/members of the ACN party.
Majority (if not all) of those who participated in this protest are professionals who want to voice their opinion about the tolls and had NOTHING to do with politics.  Tax-payers who want to express their voice, the same way protests are being done around the world. It is a shame that the people who were not there, could say that the crowd of responsible people chanting and singing protests songs, could be agents of other political parties.
Our protest
For those who are not aware, LCC did not build the road.  
They only expanded to three lanes from two (2).  They also seemingly beautified the area with pavements, streetlights that do not work beyond Lekki Phase 1.  LCC (poor job done actually) expanded the existing road built by Jakande and constructed pedestrian flyovers that are of inferior quality (nothing compared to what exists along the Ikorodu Road) and wants to collect tolls for the next thirty years at exorbitant rates.  To add insult to all these, they decided that not only are they collecting the tolls at a single point but THREE (3) within a 25km stretch. INCREDIBLE!!!  Alas, they decided that they were going to collect tolls before finishing the entire road work that had been concessioned to them.
Fashola claim that they need funds to carry out projects in other parts of Lagos and the concession of this axis is necessary in order to satisfy other parts of Lagos.  So the masses in this area should pay for the entire state when they also pay the same taxes that other people pay.  
• The government built the Bourdillon road (very high quality by Julius Berger and not the inexperienced HiTech being used by LCC for poor quality jobs) and decided not to toll. WHY  
• They built Igando road (Julius Berger again and very good quality) and decided not to toll.  WHY again?  
• They beautified Ikeja and reconstructed parts of the roads in that axis and decided not to toll.  WHY again and again
My demands
• Do I get a tax rebate for the tolls paid for going to work, coming back home, taking my children to school, going to the hospital and going to the market?
• Why do I have to incur more costs than my contemporary who lives on the mainland because I was stupid enough to build my house along this axis? Because this now amounts to stupidity, if I have to pay tolls, to go home.
REALITY
1 Apart from this so-called expansion on the road, what other government presence is there on this axis.  And yet this axis must pay for other part of the State.
2 How do you toll a cosmopolitan road that thousands of people ply, several times in a day, for 30 years.  All in the name that you spend billions of naira to construct the road. And expect that the people will take this without a pinch of salt.
3 If you start tolling now before completing the road, then we are already paying for the construction of the remaining part of the road work and then we should not be asked to pay at any other toll plaza again.
4 The government does not have money to construct, but the Head of the State Board of Internal Revenue (a civil servant) is so rich as to lavishly celebrate his daughter’s wedding for a stunning amount (obviously taxpayers money).  And he is getting away with obvious corruption when people are slaving to pay taxes to the Government. That is obviously acceptable to the powers that be, in the state.
5 My children will only remember tolls for their youthful lives. The question is WHY??

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (23) (Reply)

Obituary Of Eugene Anenih, Tony Anenih's Son (Photo) / Adams Oshiomhole's Handshake With Elizabeth Ativie (photo) / "My Bloody Exploits In Sambisa" — Arrested Boko Haram Commander (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.