Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,049 members, 7,852,572 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:34 PM

Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (42403 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 10:26pm On Dec 17, 2011
Let us see where all this leads? and for the chap who said church, churches have been collecting their own egunje for a long time now with nothing to show in their immediate communities.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by nku5: 10:31pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ otokx - collecting egunje from whom for what purpose? It doesn't add up
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by warrior01: 10:33pm On Dec 17, 2011
@truthtella,
i think you need to go for some psychiatric test before you enter the market stark naked and then, it will be too late. you are simply not being logical and that is the basic truth you failed to realise.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 10:35pm On Dec 17, 2011
@TRUTHTELA You sound upset and that blurs your thought sensors, did you notice you kept repeating "they" "they" "they".  No only us for lekki go protest national problems ? We protest an immediate problem, you can start protesting your immediate problem, the trials will determine the success of the greater goal. Stop that "they""they""they" silly rantings.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 10:36pm On Dec 17, 2011
@Warrior01 I HEARD YOU. THANK YOU SO MUCH, WILL DO AS YOU SAY.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 10:37pm On Dec 17, 2011
@Leomax, BRING IT ON!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 10:41pm On Dec 17, 2011
WHY CAN'T NIGERIANS ENGAGE SOMEONE INTELLIGENTLY ON A GIVEN SUBJECT or WRITE THEIR VIEWS WITHOUT BEING RUDE & CALL NAMES?? I SHUDDER!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 10:44pm On Dec 17, 2011

aarrrgghhh . . . Is this @Musiwa's brother or relative !!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 10:48pm On Dec 17, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

@Leomax, BRING IT ON!
I lived in Lekki Phase 1, Admiralty Way precisely for years before I moved to Millenium Estate by SHoprite cos of the silly Toll Gate. I can afford to pay the phucking toll than you but then I dont see whY i should pay. Stop defending lame action cos u feel people who should cant afford.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Rad1cal: 10:53pm On Dec 17, 2011
TRUTHTELA = alj harem. cool
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 10:55pm On Dec 17, 2011
@Leomax, you sit behind a laptop & assume you can afford it more than myself? Typical Nigerian ( Little Mind ), FYI, I'm not here to measure WEALTH. If you can afford the TOLL FARE, then you should be able to afford PETROL @ any cost your marketers choose to sell it.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 10:56pm On Dec 17, 2011
@RAD1cal, Thanks for the MATH. It's a perfect one! Bring it on!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by daphil: 10:58pm On Dec 17, 2011
The nigerian nation suffers violence and only the violents can take it by force. Dialogue works everywhere except in nigeria. If Lekki residents cannot handle this, let  them seeek the service of boko haram.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by arymal29: 11:04pm On Dec 17, 2011
@Beaf - Quoted response to dagboss on Today at 01:46:19 PM
Dude, don't talk crap so freely. In the places you have used as reference; America and England, you do not have toll gates to highly populated residential areas. For what?
In those places, toll gates are placed on major inter-city highways or at the entrances to intensely revenue generating areas like the City of London where there are very few residents. In any event, residents are always exempt from toll charges.

In Lekki though, the residents are the target. How do you toll the doorstep to a mans house? There are few ways of describing thoughtless wickedness and the tolling of the Lekki Epe express is one.

Your above post is partially correct. Check out this link on the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (RDU) corridor of North Carolina, USA. http://www.city-data.com/forum/raleigh-durham-chapel-hill-cary/1443601-toll-road-540-opens-thursday-12-a.html

The RDU corridor mentioned here is actually cities sharing a common boundary with one another just like we have Lagos Island sharing a border with Lagos Mainland, and these are highly populated residential areas that requires access, and serve the World Famous Research Triangle Park (RTP) for it work-force needs, and by coincidence is also a Free Trade Zone with a lot of World known and recognised technology companies like IBM, CISCO, MICROSOFT, REDHAT, and GSK just to mention a few, including Duke University in Durham, UNC in Chapel Hill and NC State in Raleigh which are all well known and respected Universities in the US education system.

The right or wrong of the Lagos State Government implementing tolling on this section of the road should be judged by its citizens, hence this protest, and that is what Democracy is all about, and not by partisant and ethnicity politics. Until Nigeria breaks apart into different countries, it is still One Nigeria, and there is no difference here between the Oil Subsidy issue being advocated by the Federal government and Lagos State implementing tolling.

In both cases one is looking into generating revenue, and the other reducing a cost for continued improvement of the Citizens. Whichever way you look at it, they are both taxes indirectly.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by baksonlee: 11:06pm On Dec 17, 2011
Chief Sponsor of today's ill-conceived protest in Lekki, Bode George has just arrived State C.I.D Panti, Yaba to secure the release of his boys. What a shame!!!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Reference(m): 11:11pm On Dec 17, 2011
daphil:

The nigerian nation suffers violence and only the violents can take it by force. Dialogue works everywhere except in nigeria. If Lekki residents cannot handle this, let  them seeek the service of boko haram.

But aren't there representatives of this area in the House of Assembly. What are they doing about it and if they aren't then it goes a long way to support certain insinuations that ACN is not democratic. As for the thugs or NURTW, BBC has aired their influence and power in a programme earlier this year. They are the enforcers that hunt for the votes and keep the populace in check. We have seen them practically in operation today. I tell you this corruption thing is universal and doesn't carry the flag of any political party.

I'm totally in favour of PPP and believe we the public should pay for good infrastructure. I'm sure you all watched a CNN finance program yesterday of productivity data collected in Germany via GPS mounted on delivery trucks which incidentally is used to collect tolls on public roads. It is not strange to collect tolls but like the fuel subsidy thing it has to be fair and clear. This is the way democracies work. Unfortunately the ACN is not one in practice.

I hope in future we will put our hero worship in proper perspective and consider that all men can fail. I never do that.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by doctokwus: 11:17pm On Dec 17, 2011
baksonlee:

Chief Sponsor of today's ill-conceived protest in Lekki, Bode George has just arrived State C.I.D Panti, Yaba to secure the release of his boys. What a shame!!!
If @all d demonstration was sponsored by Bode George,that is probably one of d few honest& upright things he has done in his life.That is d essence of opposition everywhere in d world,to ensure d ruling party caters for d voiceless
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 11:25pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ Arymal29, IT SHALL BE WELL WITH YOU. YOU CONFIRMED MY PREVIOUS POST: THAT LEKKI TOLL FEE IS NOT DIFFERENT FROM SUBSIDY. THE PROTEST SHOULD BE ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG IN NIGERIA. But some BASTARDS RESORT TO NAME CALLING, I careless, cos, it goes a long way to show what they lacked @ their INFANT DAYS.

Mind you, these LEKKI RESIDENTS WILL NOT PARTICIPATE  IF POOR & INDIGENOUS people in ETI-OSA  WERE PROTESTING ABOUT HIKE IN LASU, SCHOOL FEES. COS, THEIR KIDS ARE IN PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES. Police men will block Lekki, expressway collecting N20, from commercial buses,  THAT'S ROBBERY & INJUSTICE, SO WHY DID'NT THEY PROTEST ABOUT SOME OF THESE LITTLE THINGS GOING ON IN THAT AXIS? It's not their BIZNESS. People only wake up when it affects them directly. It will not work that way. Y'all have seen nothing yet.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Rad1cal: 11:29pm On Dec 17, 2011
alj TRUTHTELA harem, stop smoking gbana !!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 11:43pm On Dec 17, 2011
^^^ Is that all? BRING IT ON, If you are not a TOUT,WRITE A SENTENCE with out calling names. Engage me INTELLIGENTLY on any subject of your choice. Shame on you LUNATIC, You just RE-TYPE people's NL profile name in  a TOPIC like this & you think you worth LIVING? weep for your soul. slow MOTHERless
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Rad1cal: 11:54pm On Dec 17, 2011
^

He thinks he is intelligent . humor me, come in your real moniker then i would treat your mess up.  a raving lunatic calling another a lunatic. wetin pesin no go see for nairaland .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by gidiMonsta(m): 11:56pm On Dec 17, 2011
The incident today and the occasional ramblings of some peeps on NL are some of the few reasons why I believe this country is not ready for a revolution We have absolutely no idea what to fight for, all we want is 'the perfect life' we believe exists in the western world overnight without getting our priorities straight;

- ASUU and Doctors go on strike to increase salaries and retirement age while the infrastructures are in total decay.
- I support the increase in tuition fees of our universities on the premise that d money generated from that will be used to bring the schools up to an acceptable standard while the govt provides scholarships and student loans to students who genuinely cant afford it.
- Instead of the protesters to demand for an improved and more efficient public transport system at affordable rates, they are busy fighting for the rights to intimidate the masses with their latest rides without paying a toll.
- Subsidy removal will actually improve the lives of the people if the govt have a blueprint of how to buffer the resultant hardships for the citizenry.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 11:58pm On Dec 17, 2011
@Rad1cal If you are not a BASTARD, a confirmed TOUT, engage moi with a TOPIC of your choice, check you last post, It was filled with pidgin english, write a sentence " MOTHERLESS LUNATIC".
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Rad1cal: 12:01am On Dec 18, 2011
^
alj harem cry . never knew you were such an imbecille
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 12:14am On Dec 18, 2011
Rad1cal:

^
alj harem cry . never knew you were such an imbecille

really. You people done start again o

calling every SANE poster alj harem.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by tlo(f): 12:14am On Dec 18, 2011
I always wondered when they were going to legalize 'agberoism' and spread their tentacles to all and sundry.

Apparently that day has come. Lekki-Epe today and the rest of Lagos tomorrow (for all u pundits knocking down pple for standing up for their rights for once).

What does it matter if iT'Ss done only when it affects them, the point is that it gets done. There are protests/strikes all the time, teachers, doctors, students, who's gonna do it if not the affected parties.

Unfortunately the fighting spirit of Nigerians has been crushed by the brutallity of the military regime. Whatever embers remain should be fanned and encouraged till change comes!!!!!!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Rad1cal: 12:22am On Dec 18, 2011
alj_harem:

really. You people done start again o

calling every [size=18pt]SANE[/size] poster alj harem.

You referred to that raving TRUTHTELA lunatic as sane , then you just confirmed my believe . .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 12:34am On Dec 18, 2011
Rad1cal:

You referred to that raving TRUTHTELA lunatic as sane , then you just confirmed my believe . .

You see, you people have not given him the reason to believe otherwise, thus he would hold on to his own views

btw, I am not truthtela. I only use alj harem as my moniker and even if I have others, you would know it is me because I have the same writing pattern or I would let you know it is me.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Iolo(m): 12:40am On Dec 18, 2011
gidiMonsta:

The incident today and the occasional ramblings of some peeps on NL are some of the few reasons why I believe this country is not ready for a revolution We have absolutely no idea what to fight for, all we want is 'the perfect life' we believe exists in the western world overnight without getting our priorities straight;

- ASUU and Doctors go on strike to increase salaries and retirement age while the infrastructures are in total decay.
- I support the increase in tuition fees of our universities on the premise that d money generated from that will be used to bring the schools up to an acceptable standard while the govt provides scholarships and student loans to students who genuinely cant afford it.
- Instead of the protesters to demand for an improved and more efficient public transport system at affordable rates, they are busy fighting for the rights to intimidate the masses with their latest rides without paying a toll.
- Subsidy removal will actually improve the lives of the people if the govt have a blueprint of how to buffer the resultant hardships for the citizenry.

Makes a lot of sense,
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 12:43am On Dec 18, 2011
I repeat,alot of lekki residents are part of what they're protesting againsnt. I lived in lekki & I know how they NEVER participate in any fuel hike protest in those Oshinmole dayz. Cos it does not affect them directly. They will ignore the SIT @ HOME & head to work & they will do so on Monday. Pple dnt be carried away, all na drama
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Iolo(m): 12:46am On Dec 18, 2011
Length of Road in question = 49.4km
Work Done = Addition of a single lane on both sides, road infrastructure
Number of Toll Gates = 3

And this is what these guys want to charge N150 for per vehicle for 30 years? Just adding a single lane on both sides and building fly over bridges? Does this even make sense at all?

This is CORRUPTION at its height.

Haaa, Fashola, don't ruin your good name o.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 12:57am On Dec 18, 2011
FYI, I'm writing for myself & not do not share the same view with "ALH_HAREM, we've had opposing views on NL. Pple should write their own view & stop attacking individuals.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply)

Senator Rabiu Kwankwaso On The Queue At The Airport (photos) / Ministerial Screening: Inside SSS’ Allegations Against Nasir El-rufai / Enugu Youths Chase Fulani Herdsmen & Their Cows Away From Their Farmlands (Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.