Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update - Politics (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (42312 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 10:19pm On Dec 18, 2011
lukkie:
Meanwhile danfo drivers have sworn to increase their fares since according to them, Fashola did not pay for their buses and can't dictate their fares which is true anyway.

Dem dey complain now? Well, they better factor in subsidy removal, which comes upon them in less than 2 weeks . . .  grin grin grin grin grin grin

Yep, Nigeria is getting more and more anti-POOR by the day, it seems!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Rad1cal: 10:23pm On Dec 18, 2011
Now where is Akainzo the bloody, shameless, and forked tongued liar . Please come and disprove the glaring facts placed before you . maybe Jarus and others are lying  or the picture being provided is also fake .

Indeed, tolling has reduced traffic to 30 mins.

Hypocrites .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Olaone1: 10:24pm On Dec 18, 2011
lukkie:

Move the hell

I guess you were not brought up to be polite when talking to strangers.

So you want everything on a platter? Just get a f . . . life! angry
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by lukkie(m): 10:28pm On Dec 18, 2011
Hmmnnn

I think i guessed right.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by texazzpete(m): 10:30pm On Dec 18, 2011
Ola one:

So you want everything on a platter? Just get a f . . . life! angry

You may find it hard to believe, but many Nigerians pay hefty taxes to the state Government. If you're performing your duty of paying taxes without any complaints, why should the state Government regard fulfilling their own end of the bargain as 'giving people on a platter'?

I know small boys like you who subsist on pocket money from your mummy or daddy will not understand. Hopefully, when you grow up you will understand the strong feelings this move is evoking in these Lekki indigenes.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by lukkie(m): 10:35pm On Dec 18, 2011
texazzpete:

You may find it hard to believe, but many Nigerians pay hefty taxes to the state Government. If you're performing your duty of paying taxes without any complaints, why should the state Government regard fulfilling their own end of the bargain as 'giving people on a platter'?

I know small boys like you who subsist on pocket money from your mummy or daddy will not understand. Hopefully, when you grow up you will understand the strong feelings this move is evoking in these Lekki indigenes.

Thank you. The day i saw that my boss pays more than 30% of his salary as tax to Lagos state govt, i was dumbfounded. And he told me some people pay even higher than that.

In Lagos even if u sell pure water, you have to pay the Local Govt. I guess all that money is not enough for Fashola who wants to practically sell Lagos in this 2nd term of his.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Olaone1: 10:35pm On Dec 18, 2011
texazzpete:

Who let this lunatic out?! Who?!

It is compulsory you pay taxes, Mr it's-my-right. Keep your idiotic utterances to yourself. W-a-n-ker!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Caliente(m): 10:37pm On Dec 18, 2011
[size=13pt] @Ola
The percentage of rich as you put it naija big boy living in Lekki is infinitesimal compared to the middle, low class and poor people in the same area. People just conclude lekki houses only the rich forgetting the poor masses there.
[/size]
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Olaone1: 10:38pm On Dec 18, 2011
Caliente:

[size=13pt] @Ola
The percentage of rich as you put it naija big boy living in Lekki is infinitesimal compared to the middle, low class and poor people in the same area. People just conclude lekki houses only the rich forgetting the poor masses there.
[/size]

A good response from a mature, sane being!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ratiken(m): 10:50pm On Dec 18, 2011
Akainzo, Akanbi edu, Otokx, Coogar, Its either its same person with multiple identity or you were handsomely paid to take these positions. I baffle at your desperate attempts to negate common sense. My questions are simple
1) Is this the only road constructed under the Fashola administration? If no, why single this one out for tolling? (To the best of my knowledge, the road from Orile through festac is a four lane toll-free road and is much more expensive than the uncompleted road in question)
2) If your arguements holds, then governor Chime of Enugu and governor akpabio of akwaibom states should have a minimum of 15 toll gates on the state roads, why is this one different?
If this tolling ever succeeds, then Nigerians are in for a big rip-off , cos many more are going to spring up in few months across the country.
To think that this is coming up in a country where nothing works, absolutely nothing. Ranging from electricity to security, from education to infrastructure, from health to transport; corruption is our watch word. Pls someone should remind me of one thing that works in this country. Now you've constructed a substandard road (still under construction) with the people's taxes and FG allocation in the name of concession on their behalf to your own company and enslave them for 30 years as suggested by your greedy minds.

Now mark my words, your comments shows how distant you are from the Nigerian (lagos) masses. A lot of people have said Nigerians dont have the nerve to sustain a protest and all that, pls be sure that the frustration is seriously building up. People are realising that their options are becoming very limited, nobody believed a Boko Haram that has given us sleepless nights can ever crop up, now its here to stay. Boko Haram alone is responsible for >900billion naira 2012 budget allocation. With acts like these expect more, violence pays more these days.

WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN, EVERYONE INCLUDING THE MASTERMINDS SHALL KNOW THAT THEY ARE NO GODS. Never underestimate anyone, much more a people under distress. The Timing is soon, really soon
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by texazzpete(m): 11:27pm On Dec 18, 2011
Ola one:

Who let this lunatic out?! Who?!

It is compulsory you pay taxes, Mr it's-my-right. Keep your idiotic utterances to yourself. W-a-n-ker!

I can't say i blame you, kid. Perhaps those of us who respond to an obvious troll like yourself should shoulder the blame for encouraging your juvenile, brainless and childish drivel.

Please run along to mummy and daddy for some more pocket money. The people who fork out 18 - 25% of their salaries know that the State Govt owes them good roads in return. Repairing the existing road should rightly come out of the tax money these fellows pay.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by psalmizt(m): 11:28pm On Dec 18, 2011
rati ken:

Akainzo, Akanbi edu, Otokx, Coogar, Its either its same person with multiple identity or you were handsomely paid to take these positions. I baffle at your desperate attempts to negate common sense. My questions are simple
[size=15pt]1) Is this the only road constructed under the Fashola administration? If no, why single this one out for tolling? (To the best of my knowledge, the road from Orile through festac is a four lane toll-free road and is much more expensive than the uncompleted road in question)[/size]
2) If your arguements holds, then governor Chime of Enugu and governor akpabio of akwaibom states should have a minimum of 15 toll gates on the state roads, why is this one different?
If this tolling ever succeeds, then Nigerians are in for a big rip-off , cos many more are going to spring up in few months across the country.
To think that this is coming up in a country where nothing works, absolutely nothing. Ranging from electricity to security, from education to infrastructure, from health to transport; corruption is our watch word. Pls someone should remind me of one thing that works in this country. Now you've constructed a substandard road (still under construction) with the people's taxes and FG allocation in the name of concession on their behalf to your own company and enslave them for 30 years as suggested by your greedy minds.

Now mark my words, your comments shows how distant you are from the Nigerian (lagos) masses. A lot of people have said Nigerians dont have the nerve to sustain a protest and all that, pls be sure that the frustration is seriously building up. People are realising that their options are becoming very limited, nobody believed a Boko Haram that has given us sleepless nights can ever crop up, now its here to stay. Boko Haram alone is responsible for >900billion naira 2012 budget allocation. With acts like these expect more, violence pays more these days.

WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN, EVERYONE INCLUDING THE MASTERMINDS SHALL KNOW THAT THEY ARE NO GODS. Never underestimate anyone, much more a people under distress. The Timing is soon, really soon

Comments attached:
I personally think we are nearing the tipping point. The truth is that FASHOLA has lost it, the goodwill he was enjoying has expired. All we are beginning to see is a policy somersault . The question remains, is Lekki/Epe Expressway the only road this administration was involved in? Howcome only this one is being tolled? What happens to the billions in tax that they collect? Now I hear they have even modified their tax laws so that ppl will pay even more tax, DOn't be surprised when businesses start relocating out of Lagos,
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Olaone1: 11:42pm On Dec 18, 2011
texazzpete:

I can't say i blame you, kid. Perhaps those of us who respond to an obvious troll like yourself should shoulder the blame for encouraging your juvenile, brainless and childish drivel.

Please run along to mummy and daddy for some more pocket money. The people who fork out 18 - 25% of their salaries know that the State Govt owes them good roads in return. Repairing the existing road should rightly come out of the tax money these fellows pay.

Id.iot! I knew you would be back with your usual rants.

You have options, you trolling id.iot.

1. Jog on

2. Go green

3. Get your self swept away by an avalanche or just curl up and die. Would you?

You stooooopid m. .ther. . .f. . g idio.t!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Detongue: 11:48pm On Dec 18, 2011
Dis is one of Fashola oppression on lagosians. Fashola is a fraud and wicked. He is not concern about d masses but d comfort of d rich and mighty. To me, Fashola is make believe
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 12:33am On Dec 19, 2011
4 people killed on the alternative route today. Mad traffic jam lock
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 12:48am On Dec 19, 2011
Rad1cal:

Now where is Akainzo the bloody, shameless, and forked tongued liar . Please come and disprove the glaring facts placed before you . maybe Jarus and others are lying  or the picture being provided is also fake .

Indeed, tolling has reduced traffic to 30 mins.

Hypocrites.

I aint gone nowhere other than attend to other matters of importance, sitting in front of a computer typing away aint my regular job you know.

lukkie:

The main reason being that cars are charged N120 and SUVs N150. And you know we don't use coins here, meaning that the tolls are manually operated. I heard people were intentionally giving them N1000 notes. Then they'd start scratching their heads for change. LOL

From the post above, posted by the same person that placed the pictures, the motorists are the ones responsible for the traffic. When people decided to protest, and didn't prepare for what could happen if the protest doesn't change things, you get such situations.

Note that there are electronic cards that should have made passing through the gates smoother, but trust those people they decided to come to teh toll gates with 1000 naira notes to pay a toll of 150.

When your mates are sitting comfortably in lounges having checked-in online, b;lame yourself for not using the technologies at your disposal.

Also, like it has been rightly noted, without the toll collection, that journey was a breeze. So what are you referring to as forked tongue? As noted, you lacked power of critical reasoning and probably does not know the difference between cause and effect.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 12:55am On Dec 19, 2011
lukkie:

Thank you. The day i saw that my boss pays more than 30% of his salary as tax to Lagos state govt, i was dumbfounded. And he told me some people pay even higher than that.

In Lagos even if u sell pure water, you have to pay the Local Govt. I guess all that money is not enough for Fashola who wants to practically sell Lagos in this 2nd term of his.

Your boss pays a maximum of 20% as PAYE tax in Lagos, so saying he pays more than 30% in incorrect, it is the same tax law across Lagos State you know. Rivers State currently charges 25%, which is the highest in the country.
However, your boss, depending on what properties owns and place that he resides would pay other taxes which are not reflected in his payslip, but are duly paid to local government and other government agencies. It is the norm all over the world, if you don't like taxes, try the option of remaining poor. grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 1:11am On Dec 19, 2011
rati ken:

1) Is this the only road constructed under the Fashola administration? If no, why single this one out for tolling? (To the best of my knowledge, the road from Orile through festac is a four lane toll-free road and is much more expensive than the uncompleted road in question)
Sure it is not the only road built by LASG, however the govt has decided to toll this particular road. Note that that Orile to Badagry road would soon attract a toll once it is finished.

rati ken:

Hmmmm how many vehicles ply those roads in Enugu or Uyo daily? What is the stress placed on those roads daily? How much is required to ensure such roads in Enugu or Uyo remain motorable? When you analyze the answers, you would see why the same rules might not apply to those states.

rati ken:

Point of correction, tolling has always been present in Nigeria! Are you very young kid or is it that you never traveled around this country prior to 2004? FYI, a journey from Lagos to Benin would ensure that you pay toll at 5 different places back in those days.

rati ken:

Maybe, just why everything is collapsing is because we have gotten used to everything being free, or promise of it being free. An example, what was the state of the Sagamu-Ore road while tolling was on, and what is its state now since tolling was abolished?

rati ken:

It is so easy to assume that since I am not railing against it, I must not be living in Lagos or close to Lagos. As as aside, I am a full born, native/indigene of Lagos. I have family in Epe and the toll directly impacts my real estate investments, but that doesn't diminish my abilities to take decisions that would pay off in the future. Scrapping the toll now, would be a short-term gain, but long term, would not be beneficial to anyone.

rati ken:

When the chips are down, we would all rise up in arms against perceived rich people, guess where they live? VGC, Lekki Phase 1, and all those other estates.
And mark my words, when the revolution starts, the toll plazas would not be destroyed, it would be barricaded by the boys to get at the big men! grin grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 1:16am On Dec 19, 2011
psalmizt:

Comments attached:
I personally think we are nearing the tipping point. The truth is that FASHOLA has lost it, the goodwill he was enjoying has expired. All we are beginning to see is a policy somersault . The question remains, is Lekki/Epe Expressway the only road this administration was involved in? Howcome only this one is being tolled? What happens to the billions in tax that they collect? Now I hear they have even modified their tax laws so that ppl will pay even more tax, DOn't be surprised when businesses start relocating out of Lagos,

And you readily assume that those villagers along the Lekki-Epe expressway whose lands have suddenly gone up in value because of that same roads would align with you against him? Or that the people living in Agege who dream of such roads would not want to benefit, or those going to Sango-Ota daily and use Oshodi & Ikeja and see how both places have been transformed would align with you? cheesy

Get off the high horse and start knowing that the Lekki residents are an important stakeholder in Lagos politics, but they are not the overwhelming majority in the state.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 1:23am On Dec 19, 2011
Caliente:

[size=13pt] @Ola
[/size]

The tolling is for vehicles, it is not right to use the same analogy for a rich man as you use for a poor man!
Yes, there are poor people living in that axis, the question is, do these poor people drive cars or are they using public transport? Once you can identify the demography for the poor, then analyze what they would do or can do, then you can decide if this tolling would affect them maximally or not.

BTW, you are also making the same assumptions, as you are assuming that the toll would affect the poor as the rich. If there are more poor people then it is not an issue as there are BRT buses serving the route.

As an example, the congestion tax in central London has not been noticed by most people, as they simply use the bus or the tube, which is the public transport. But should you decide to take a taxi ride to central London as a poor man, acting out as a rich man, then you need to pay that tax, whether you can afford 3 square meals a day or not.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by abbey621(m): 2:05am On Dec 19, 2011
I can understand why people are angry, there's no job, no electricity, the roads are dangerous and absolutely no security, but how long do we continue like this, obviously something has to change. The Lagos State government should have enlightened people before embarking on such a catastrophic plan, because of the impending removal of fuel subsidy, it's absolutely fatal to start charging toll on any road, anyways, the government will be the government and things must go on. There's nothing bad about introducing tolls as a way to generate income for the development of Lagos, since majority of Nigerians don't pay their fair share of tax, it is imperative for government to device another means of generating income. Imagine a country with an effective tax system, imagine how much development can occur with the right type of leader, Fashola is a visionary, unfortunately he's almost out of time!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 3:28am On Dec 19, 2011
Can you imagine some people drove to dToll Plaza & refused to pay in protest in what seems like an organised protest caused d traffic. Will that change the mind of LCC from collecting toll? For a successful agitation sensible options must be explored/
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by daphil: 3:35am On Dec 19, 2011
I have always known that ACN is not a better alternate to PDP and other. ACN is a SCAM party and Raji Fashola is a SCAMMER. It's a gathering of few with the purpose of personal and pocket enrichment and not service. It's just now people are gettting to know about this. Imagine in Eyita area around Ikorodu of a little less than 1M people, there is no presence of the State talkless of the local government. Presently, resident are the one contributing to sponsor a 10km State and Local roads alongside with bridges drainages.

WARING:
This is an eye opener to my people in Ondo State. ACN is not a better ALTERNATIVE to Labour party. They will only succeed in mortgaging the destiny of the generation yet unborn.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Rad1cal: 5:30am On Dec 19, 2011
2AMLasgidi:

Can you imagine some people drove to dToll Plaza & refused to pay in protest in what seems like an organised protest caused d traffic. Will that change the mind of LCC from collecting toll? For a successful agitation sensible options must be explored/

Keep deceiving yourself , you are obviously an LCC worker . off course you need the toll to feed so i wont blame your frequent lies.

First you told us that the protest was peaceful

Then after being caught, you lied that it was the purported peaceful protesters that courted problem before they were manhandled by the police

You also claimed there were no hired thugs to harass the lekki peeps

Now you are here with another formulated lie

Well i don't blame. no toll - no feeding money for you
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by islamrules(m): 7:31am On Dec 19, 2011
Can you now see Nigerians are ready for Revolution.

When I said it the other time. Some people called me names here on nairaland.

I remember one guy even called me mafia behind Laptop.

The fact is Nigerians are fed up.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by eleshin(m): 7:57am On Dec 19, 2011
3 tollgates in 1 local govt? Dats nonsense,gidi IGR is d biggest in d country.dis is beyond generatin moni for d state its about d owner of LCC nd enrichin tinubus pocket.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by tayoTFC(m): 8:18am On Dec 19, 2011
There is altenative road why are u complaining, in usa,uk and europe tax are being paid to govt, yet thare are tollgate even my recent visit to SA show that there are tollgate although is not like nigeria, it affordable and u get ur bill deliver to ur house at the end of the month but for nigeria no database for cars and individual owners to achieved that,

MUST EVERYTHING AGAINST GOVERNMENT BE BY RADICAL PROTEST?

Recomendation, what the elder or stakeholder should have done is to plead for the reduction in the fee say , car N30, BUS N50, TRAILERS AND LUXERIUS BUS N100, OKADA N20. this will make sense cos to whom much is given much is expected,

Eko o ni baje oooo
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 8:35am On Dec 19, 2011
Even in Malaysia you can find more than 6 toll gates in a road of about 100km and it just one "ringit: which is just N50 Nigerian Currency, so what we talking about? The confussionist shoud just brace up for the New Reality towards a better road Infrastructure, I am tired of Pot hole ridden roads. Do you know how much it costs to buy a Shock Absorber now
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ochibs1010(m): 8:48am On Dec 19, 2011
the hold up have been mad this morning, it took me 3 hours to get to office just within the lekki axis and i am already tired when i have not started my days job.

i have been trying to upload pixs but its telling me it cant do more than 200kb.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 9:01am On Dec 19, 2011
ochibs1010:

the hold up have been mad this morning, it took me 3 hours to get to office just within the lekki axis and i am already tired when i have not started my days job.

i have been trying to upload pixs but its telling me it cant do more than 200kb.

Giving the time of your post, 8:48am, and that you spent 3 hours getting to the office, does that imply that you left your house at 5:30am to go to your office within the Lekki axis?  shocked shocked grin
Is this your normal practice?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ceejayluv(m): 9:03am On Dec 19, 2011
2AMLasgidi:

Even in Malaysia you can find more than 6 toll gates in a road of about 100km and it just one "ringit: which is just N50 Nigerian Currency, so what we talking about? The confussionist shoud just brace up for the New Reality towards a better road Infrastructure,  I am tired of Pot hole ridden roads. Do you know how much it costs to buy a Shock Absorber now
Abeg tell dem ooo,
We wan be like Yankee but we no wan pay d dues. Kate Henshaw just wan show herself, dem no get toll gates for her hubby country?

Even if it was 20 bucks, Nigerians will stil complain.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 9:03am On Dec 19, 2011
ochibs1010:

Please do not give up. Use any image editing software to reduce the size please. And post it. This is the sort of information we need to collect.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (23) (Reply)

Peter Obi Reacts To Owo Bandit Attack / Wike Gives Rivers Magistrates Cars - Photos / Samuel Ortom Visits Atiku Abubakar In Dubai (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.