Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update - Politics (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (42301 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by RuuDie(m): 11:22am On Dec 20, 2011
Akainzo:

And where was the bulk of the money to build the road sourced from?

Erm. . . . .they are already collecting tolls on a road that is yet to be completed - what does that tell you about where the money is coming from!?

grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by RuuDie(m): 11:24am On Dec 20, 2011
bukkytroni:

Excellent question? How will the Concessionaire refund the N50 billion facility with the interest collected from Zenith, UBA, Diamond, StanbicIBTC, Fidelity, AIIM and the foreign banks who brought their money here to invest?

In order words, they haven't done their maths right!!?

grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by mbulela: 11:57am On Dec 20, 2011
i am perplexed at the comparison with developed countries. the residents in the Lekki axis are not idiots who do not appreciate PPP and hate tolls.
there is no govt presence in the axis and the people are being imprisoned in there houses. tell me where else this happens?
Why did they not toll Bordillon?
almost as importantly, the whole LCC arrangement looks fishy from afar.
This Lekki-Epe road will be a fish bone in BRF's throat.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ade80: 12:09pm On Dec 20, 2011
1.  Lcc signed an agreement to construct a coastal road from ahmadu bello way to epe and the road was to be tolled
2. Rather than construct the new road they signed, they decided to renovate the lekki- epe expressway which was cheaper for them
3. They renovation started from ozumba mbadiwe road but they decided to place the toll after oriental hotel instead.
tinubu owns oriental and he is the chairman of lcc, wake up and stop enriching one man.

http://g.co/maps/vrhpu
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ade80: 12:20pm On Dec 20, 2011
Akainzo:

To everyone parroting that the Lekki road leads to a purely residential are, let it be known that the official name for that road for more than a decade is Lekki-Epe Expressway. It is a highway, a trunk B road that has now been reclassified as Trunk A. That road was never residential as it was built and is being maintained as a highway.

BTW, while the tolling was in place on the Sagamu-Benin expressway, why were there no protests on behalf of the poor villagers living along its path, or was that expressway built and all villages bordering it evacuated? Note that while it was in place, the poor villagers in Okada town had to pay toll to go see their relatives in Benin. The poor villagers in Obigbo also paid toll to go work daily while commuting to Port-Harcourt in Rivers State, were there protest then?

From the way I see it, this protests are more political/sentimental than anything else. People are being riled based on the perceived beneficiary or owner of the company while they do rough calculations of what the toll plazas would generate yearly. They however fail to calculate the costs in salaries, road repairs and infrastructure maintenance over the life of the concession.

Tolling is not new in Nigeria, and highways can be tolled anywhere else in the world. Nigeria isn’t an exception.

the money is going to a private company not the government
we contribute money for transformers, poles and even wire before we have light,
we sand fill the roads in front of our houses before we can get home
we provide our own water,
we pay phcn bills though we have no light
now we have to pay before we get home
and before we can drive our children to school.
why was the toll gate not placed on ozumba where the renovation began,
why where all other alternate routes fenced off by Lcc
why was the coastal road they signed up for not constructed.
why did the govt pay for the construction of bourdillion road
why did't they use ppp for orile badagry road which is much more expensive
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ade80: 12:33pm On Dec 20, 2011
Akainzo:

Many people that pass that toll plaza are not going to the airport, the toll gate is for the Airport - Ikeja bye-pass and not on the airport road itself. You can go from Oshodi to either Airports without paying toll. In fact you can go to all the three terminals in Lagos without paying any toll at the airport toll gate!

Most take it as an alternative and are willing to pay, rather than go through the Apapa Oshodi expressway. Those people staying in Ikeja and working along Apapa-Oshodi do pay that toll daily. But they are grateful as they avoid the Ikeja-Oshodi-Apapa route.

you just said it all the airport -ikeja bye-pass is an alternative, the alternative road was tolled.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by jmaine: 12:43pm On Dec 20, 2011
As usual . .Those gallantly supporting this unfortunate tolls on the Lekki folks would be active parties on some other thread . . . voicing critical opinions . . .Please when you do . .this thread would be a good referencing point to start with  . . it would be fun to see how you fare when the other side of the coin is being debated . . .

The ACN in Lagos has suddenly felt they are bigger than the people . .and the moment you feel that way . . . That is a panacea to failure at the polls . . Increasing awareness of electorates at play . . .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by RuuDie(m): 1:13pm On Dec 20, 2011
*clears throat*

Errm. . . . . .wasn't the planned alternative to the tolled route supposed to be a much longer 'coastal road'; how come it is Alhaji Oniru's backyard and I thought the terms of the contract clearly included/stated construction of the Coastal Road before commencement of tolling!?

grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 1:47pm On Dec 20, 2011
RuuDie:

*clears throat*

Errm. . . . . .wasn't the planned alternative to the tolled route supposed to be a much longer 'coastal road'; how come it is Alhaji Oniru's backyard and I thought the terms of the contract clearly included/stated construction of the Coastal Road before commencement of tolling!?

grin
That is what has been bothering me about the development. The Government had enough time to put together a better route . . .  it could have easily added a lane to an existing mile of one of the many local routes in the area, but instead it chose a one-road backyard route, not even fit for expressway kind of traffic. Why?

Another question is why did the work done on the road cost about $10 million US dollars/mile considering the N50 billion(~$300 million dollars) cost as suggested by some of here?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ade80: 2:01pm On Dec 20, 2011
Kobojunkie:

That is what has been bothering me about the development. The Government had enough time to put together a better route . . . it could have even worked on using a route it could maybe add another route to, but instead it chose a one-road backyard route, not even fit for expressway kind of traffic. Why?

Another question is why did the work done on the road cost about $10 million US dollars/mile considering the N50 billion(~$300 million dollars) cost as suggested by some of here?

well that's nigeria for you, they govt is used to the people taking whatever they are given so they don't believe anyone will stand against them for long
and unfortunately that is always what happens
how do you justify paying taxes, insuring your car, spending money daily on generator to light your house, sandfilling your street to get home and now tolling the only viable road to your house, remember there is no tax refund in naija
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 2:06pm On Dec 20, 2011
RuuDie:

*clears throat*

grin

The coastal road is a Federal project that is supposed to run from Lagos all the way to Cross Rivers state. That is still currently in the planning stage. However, once completed, people can use it as an alternative to the Lekki-Epe expressway as it would also land in Epe and somewhere behind Ikorodu.

For now the existing alternative is in Oniru.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 2:14pm On Dec 20, 2011
ade_77:

well that's nigeria for you, they govt is used to the people taking whatever they are given so they don't believe anyone will stand against them for long
and unfortunately that is always what happens
how do you justify paying taxes, insuring your car, spending money daily on generator to light your house, sandfilling your street to get home and now tolling the only viable road to your house, remember there is no tax refund in naija

It does worry one  that people might end up 'accepting' this too.

I remember quite well that the LASG Government spoke of it's plans to construct an alternative which was reported as Shoreline Road lekki. This was definitely suggested by the State Government and no Federal Government. About some months ago, some people commented on the fact that there were no signs the Government was even about to start on that. Now it seems that plan has been scrapped as there is no mention of it at all by any of the Government people.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ade80: 2:20pm On Dec 20, 2011
Akainzo:

The coastal road is a Federal project that is supposed to run from Lagos all the way to Cross Rivers state. That is still currently in the planning stage. However, once completed, people can use it as an alternative to the Lekki-Epe expressway as it would also land in Epe and somewhere behind Ikorodu.

For now the existing alternative is in Oniru.

that is not true construct a new road and toll, nobody will complain don't repair and toll the only existing road while walling up the other alternatives e.g shoprite road that was there before
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 2:26pm On Dec 20, 2011
ade_77:

that is not true construct a new road and toll, nobody will complain don't repair and toll the only existing road while walling up the other alternatives e.g shoprite road that was there before

The coastal road is a federal government project and not a Lagos State initiative. This is why I doubt that the coastal road would have been awarded to LCC as part of its agreement with Lagos, when all the landing points in other states have not yet been settled. I know cos a friend of mine is part of the project consultants.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ade80: 2:34pm On Dec 20, 2011
Akainzo:

The coastal road is a federal government project and not a Lagos State initiative. This is why I doubt that the coastal road would have been awarded to LCC as part of its agreement with Lagos, when all the landing points in other states have not yet been settled. I know cos a friend of mine is part of the project consultants.

why not call your friend and comfirm
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 2:38pm On Dec 20, 2011
ade_77:

Lekki Coastal Road IS the Lekki Expressway, according also to Tunde Fashola himself.

How that Expressway is now in the hands of Federal, Lord knows. The Shoreline road however which LASG proposed back in 2009 to quell the worries of the people back then is still on paper and not out yet.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 2:51pm On Dec 20, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Lekki Coastal Road IS the Lekki Expressway, according also to Tunde Fashola himself.

How that Expressway is now in the hands of Federal, Lord knows. The Shoreline road however which LASG proposed back in 2009 to quell the worries of the people back then is still on paper and not out yet.

Are you sure of this? Lekki Expressway has been in existence for almost 2 decades now! So how can it then be the same as the coastal road? It definitely aint one and the same. Please get your facts right.

ade_77:

That is why I wrote above that it could not have been awarded to LCC when the Investment Proposals have not been finalised.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ade80: 2:58pm On Dec 20, 2011
Kobojunkie:

http://appablog./2008/06/18/nigeria-afdb-approves-us-85-million-for-lekki-toll-road-project/
please check this link and comment. This was written in 2008

http://www.lcc.com.ng/
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 3:10pm On Dec 20, 2011
ade_77:

http://appablog./2008/06/18/nigeria-afdb-approves-us-85-million-for-lekki-toll-road-project/
please check this link and comment. This was written in 2008

http://www.lcc.com.ng/
That is the same Coastal/Expressway Project which we also know as Lekki Expressway Project. According to the Link I posted there, from the Governor's own website, it is the same info. About 30.4 miles of road for which AFDB Bank contributed about $85 million, bringing the total to about $300 million. That is about $10 million US Dollars per mile of road.

However, the Shoreline road project was proposed as an entirely different to provide an alternative to Lekki Expressway. And this again is an LASG proposed project(No Federal Government hand in it whatsoever). The only commitment I know the Federal Government has made to the Lagos-Lekki area is to help restore the shorelines of Lagos. I know of no federal promise to build a road on the same shorelines. That would make no sense really, because the Federal approved Lagos using much of the area for it's LFTZ project.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ade80: 3:17pm On Dec 20, 2011
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akanbiedu(m): 11:25pm On Dec 20, 2011
Akainzo:

To everyone parroting that the Lekki road leads to a purely residential are, let it be known that the official name for that road for more than a decade is Lekki-Epe Expressway. It is a highway, a trunk B road that has now been reclassified as Trunk A. That road was never residential as it was built and is being maintained as a highway.

BTW, while the tolling was in place on the Sagamu-Benin expressway, why were there no protests on behalf of the poor villagers living along its path, or was that expressway built and all villages bordering it evacuated? Note that while it was in place, the poor villagers in Okada town had to pay toll to go see their relatives in Benin. The poor villagers in Obigbo also paid toll to go work daily while commuting to Port-Harcourt in Rivers State, were there protest then?

From the way I see it, this protests are more political/sentimental than anything else. People are being riled based on the [size=15pt]perceived beneficiary or owner[/size] of the company while they do rough calculations of what the toll plazas would generate yearly. They however fail to calculate the costs in salaries, road repairs and infrastructure maintenance over the life of the concession.

Tolling is not new in Nigeria, and highways can be tolled anywhere else in the world. Nigeria isn’t an exception.

You hit the nail on the head. It's called poverty mentality.

The same silly idea some people came up with about MTN ripping Nigerians off "in their country", even after the FG couldn't provide the same service after investing x5 of what MTN invested, with no results. It's the same idea they will come up with if Fayemi decides to bring in foreign investors to cultivate those empty farmlands in Ekiti. Instead of them to ask relevant questions, you see them asking how much investors will make from their ancestor's land.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 4:24am On Dec 21, 2011
ade_77:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/08/lekki-epe-road-lcc-issues-users-guide/

don't be deceived, they are two seperate roads

Also speaking, Executive Secretary of Lagos State PSP Roads Board, Engr Bamgbose Martins said the concession agreement for the project was executed on Monday 24th April 2006 with a desire that financial close agreement would be signed six months later but was delayed due to unforeseen circumstances.

He added that Monday’s agreement signing covers the construction/ rehabilitation of 49.4 Km of the Lekki –Epe Expressway, construction of the first 20 Kilometres of the Coastal road and the option of constructing the Southern Bypass.

He informed that the ceremony is about putting pen to paper for a number of formal agreements between Lagos State Government and the Concessionaire, Lekki Concession Company on a process leading to the achievement of Financial close for the Lagos Infrastructure Project.

He commended Governor Babatunde Fashola (SAN) for continuing with the same zeal and commitment with which former Governor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu launched the initiative in 1999. 

http://www.tundefashola.com/archives/news/2008/08/25/20080825N11.html

I said that the reference is also used on Tunde Fashola's own website and I provided a link too. All you need to is click on the link to go see it for yourself. Most every reference online to a Coastal Road in Lekki points back to the Lekki Expressway project and it is not unusual that other names be used for even existing roads.

Now that I think of it, it does seem the Coastal road in the above article refers to a second road and not the addition to the existing Lekki Expressway. Same goes for the southern ByPass of the road. Interesting! How did I miss that comma in there?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by freeR1: 1:48pm On Dec 21, 2011
Akainzo:

Get a copy of the concession agreement and read it, the coastal road was to be constructed by LCC as the alternative road. Don't come here to deceive people!!! The project is not a federal govt project but entirely Lagos state/ LCC.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Genius100: 9:15pm On Dec 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

http://www.tundefashola.com/archives/news/2008/08/25/20080825N11.html

I said that the reference is also used on Tunde Fashola's own website and I provided a link too. All you need to is click on the link to go see it for yourself. Most every reference online to a Coastal Road in Lekki points back to the Lekki Expressway project and it is not unusual that other names be used for even existing roads.

Now that I think of it, it does seem the Coastal road in the above article refers to a second road and not the addition to the existing Lekki Expressway. Same goes for the southern ByPass of the road. Interesting! How did I miss that comma in there?

What an ignoramus. Keep arguing like a lunatic all over the place,
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by wirinet(m): 1:29am On Dec 22, 2011
It is very saddening to see nigerians defending the indefensible. This so called ppp is not only a fraud, it is callous, wicked and ungodly. Why is this the only project that Fashola is pursuing aggressively? Fashola and indeed the tinubu administration did not build a single school on that axis, the only public school was that built by Jakande opposite Mobil, students of poor parents come from as far as Sangotedo, Badore, Ogombo etc, just to attend school and now there is the added burden of tolls. Also no health center on that axis, no library, no pipe water, no sports facility, and even no motorable road, outside this particular road (after lekki proper). This AC style of government is the strangest in the world where the government aggressively collect taxes but feels no responsibility to provide services.

I hope supporters would hang around when the backlash starts in the form of Boko Haram, militancy, armed robbery, etc, and not run away to countries that take care of its citizens.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by naptu2: 8:38am On Dec 22, 2011
FASHOLA ORDERS INVESTIGATION INTO ALLEGED MURDER AT LEKKI PROTEST

Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, ordered a probe into the alleged murder of a protetser during Saturday’s Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria protest against toll collection along the newly constructed Lekki-Epe highway.
The Executive Order was addressed to the Lagos State Attorney-General/ Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Ade Ipaye, and copied to the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Yakub Alkali.
Governor Fashola stated, “My attention has been drawn to a publication and other reports alleging that a citizen was shot and killed by the police during last Saturday’s protests at Lekki Toll Gate by citizens in expression of their constitutional rights to agitate their grievances. While I recognise the right of the police to enforce the law, our democracy does not permit the excessive use of force or extra judicial killings. I hereby order a thorough investigation to ascertain if anyone was actually killed during the protest, who were the witnesses to the alleged killing, if the victim was killed by police or any other person, the identity of the victim, the identity of the doctor who certified the victim dead, if the victim has been buried, the location where he/she was buried, the identity of the person who issued the permit for the burial location of the corpse, if the victim has not been buried and by what authority any person purports to keep the victim’s body.
The investigation must commence as soon as possible and be concluded no later than Friday, December 30, 2011, by which time I expect to receive a full report of findings and detailed recommendations.”

http://nigerianssavingnigerians.org/2011/12/22/fashola-investigate-police-brutality-against-lekki-protesters/
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Myself2(m): 9:17am On Dec 22, 2011
"Mr. Goodluck Jonathan, believing that government belongs to the people
has been very transparent in his handling of the fuel subsidy removal issue; the
masses at least are being informed of what to come, the expected savings from
the subsidy removal, the advantages to the nation and reason why government
felt it is necessary to let the subsidy go; the President’s action gave
Nigerians home and abroad opportunity to comment, debate and partake in how
they are governed – that is what democracy is all about. Also, long before work
started, the masses have been informed and are still being informed of what to
expect on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway despite the fact that it was a previously
tolled INTERSTATE road; the concessionaire, estimated project cost and duration
of contract are all in the public domain.

Everything about Lekki
Concession Company, its true ownership, the cost of the Lekki project, time frame and the
agreement it signed with the Lagos State Government is all shrouded in secrecy.
Why the toll did not start from where the project started has not been
explained and the reason why Lekki residents should pay toll while others
having and enjoying more and better facilities on the same road are getting it
all for free will remain a mystery until LCC and Lagos state government come out to explain to Nigerians; shifting the toll plaza so far
forward to start just immediately after Oriental Hotel which has dedicated side
roads with traffic lights and a pedestrian bridge all to itself on the same
road is an eyesore and it shows the insensitivity of our leaders and the
impunity with which they can practice corruption. IS THE OWNER OF LEKKI
CONCESSION COMPANY AND ORIENTAL HOTEL ONE AND THE SAME?? THE CLOCK IS
TICKING!!!!! "

A Like Reply 3 hours ago 3 Likes F .
M Subscribe by email S RSS .Login Add New Comment
Please wait…Post as … .

blog comments powered by Disqus> ,
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Myself2(m): 9:21am On Dec 22, 2011
The fraudulent LASG/TinubuLCC concession agreement violates the constitutional right of movement without impediment, why fence in citizens with wire mesh and leave them with no options of connecting routes by which they could by-pass the toll plazas,this is the height of wickedness and impunity in the practice of corruption
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 9:24am On Dec 23, 2011
Whatever happened to the 'Occupy Lekki' war dance? Nigerians are a bunch of cowardly lambs that have no spine, resolve, or will-power whatsoever. All too easily, the so-called protesters and noisemakers have been cowed into obedience and submission. The tolls are being paid, and so it would remain for the next 30 years without resistance. Smh. This population of docile airheads deserve whatever misery their leaders give them.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 10:07am On Dec 23, 2011
^^^ I think you are being unfair to these people. It is Christmas week after all. And the protest only happened some days ago. Let's give these people the holiday off, and start judging them after then. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 12:33pm On Dec 23, 2011
^^^
Lol. You better be kidding. Nigeria is the only place in the world where an uprising(?) goes on recess so that the protesters can enjoy the holidays (LOL). It simply shows how weak their conviction is. If our North African brothers and sisters had this kind of escapist/defeatist mindset, the likes of Mubarak, Ben Ali and Gaddafi would still be in power by now.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by naptu2: 1:14pm On Dec 23, 2011
Will there be a toll gate on the Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge?

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

Senate: PDP May Field Ekweremadu As Saraki’s Replacement / Wike Warns #RevolutionNow Protesters, Says "Stay Off Rivers State" / Abolaji Ajimobi Poses With His Nomination Forms In Oyo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.