Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,984 members, 7,835,300 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update - Politics (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (42375 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 4:34pm On Dec 19, 2011
Rad1cal:

you referenced silverbird TV, yet you failed to listen to the glaring part where the STV camera man was attacked by the thugs and his camera seized before entering their bus and zooming off

quoting ochibs1010 " very funny indeed, i wonder if you read you comment before posting it, does anyone here look like a toddler to you? *mscheeeeeeeeeew*"

@Rad1cal: Thank you for raising this matter jare; The reporter need to convince us that The same Camera he used to cover the event was not the one that was collected and not returned to him as he said in the Interview. If tapec was destroyed as he alledged by in the interview how did he get the report he that was shown to us, I would have bought his position if the STV report was not crispy and or if it was mentioned that the video report is from AIT or Channels, no TV station showed us the thugs during their rampage. Nobody recorded even with phone either motion or still

See, STV is a PDP man's station He'll work for the making of capturing lagos anyday!!!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by dayokanu(m): 5:50pm On Dec 19, 2011
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akanbiedu(m): 8:37pm On Dec 19, 2011
Even the pictures posted is a testimony. They see traffic, I see good road. In a country where roads are so bad that people spend 2 days on a journey that normally would take 6 hrs.

Nigerians make me laugh grin. isn't it obvious that the reason things are not working in Nigeria is because people don't pay for services?

University, dem wan pay $100 per year,

Power, dem wan pay $12 per year,

Road, dem wan ply free of charge,

Even some will ask govt to provide children for them LMAO smiley The problem is where is the governmeent going to get the money? Abi people think those things do not some cost associated with them.

The Lagos govt shall not be intimidated, you need good services, you have to pay for them. Dandan, l'owo ori. If Lagos is too expensive for you, not too bad, there is Ogun state very close, you don't have to live in Lagos, if you can not afford it. shikena. That is the way of the world, fingers are not equal.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akanbiedu(m): 8:41pm On Dec 19, 2011
N150 is too small sef for SUVs, shior.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 9:10pm On Dec 19, 2011
SUV and jeeps pay N200 at airport while cars pay N100
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ade80: 9:14pm On Dec 19, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

N150 is too small sef for SUVs, shior.

Politicians steal all the money for development and people have to pay huge amounts for Medicals, school fees, petrol to run their generators, taxes, tenement rates, you have to buy water, you pay for security, and now tolls to get back home. Nothing is free in Nigeria.  Pls get ur facts before posting in sensitive comments. 105,000 is too much money to pay on tolls.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 9:23pm On Dec 19, 2011
please use the alternative routes if you cannot pay
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ade80: 9:40pm On Dec 19, 2011
Lasg can as well stop collecting taxes and toll all roads
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by GAR3TH(m): 10:07pm On Dec 19, 2011
ade_77:

In the uk, the the people don't have to pay school fees for young children and they have free medical services we don't have that over here so don't compare nigeria to uk

I have to diagree with this statement because they do pay for school and medical services. the average UK citizen pays about 25% of their salaries towards taxes. some people, based on income and progression taxes, pay as much as 40 % of their income toward taxes. Nothing is free, they pay for everything you see through their tax system. Nigerian tax just cant compare.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 10:10pm On Dec 19, 2011
otokx:

please use the alternative routes if you cannot pay
gbamm
abi !!!! shekena. that is all

there is no point in going to and fro with this argument of fashola stealing (although fashola is doing it like a favour forgetting that it is the job of his government to provide good roads for the people).
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by dayokanu(m): 10:14pm On Dec 19, 2011
ade_77:

Lasg can as well stop collecting taxes and toll all roads

All the advanced countries as well as developing countries pay tax and also toll roads
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ade80: 10:27pm On Dec 19, 2011
dayokanu:

All the advanced countries as well as developing countries pay tax and also toll roads

Then let Lasg toll all the roads they constructed in the past two years and not single out lekki.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by baksonlee: 10:32pm On Dec 19, 2011
ade_77:

They have only tolling one road and you are on here crying, heaven knows what would happen if they toll more roads

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by dayokanu(m): 10:40pm On Dec 19, 2011
ade_77:

Then let Lasg toll all the roads they constructed in the past two years and not single out lekki.

But not all road in lagos state have been renovated like the Lekki -Epe road.

But they singled out Lekki road for renovation and not the road in Alagbado or Ayobo
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ade80: 10:44pm On Dec 19, 2011
baksonlee:

They have only tolling one road and you are on here crying, heaven knows what would happen if they toll more roads

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

120 per trip
  7200 per month
86,400 per year
Now multiply by 200,000cars
17,280,000,000.00 generated annually
For 30years to a privately owned coy for a road that
Costs 50billion. Haba
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ade80: 10:47pm On Dec 19, 2011
dayokanu:

But not all road in lagos state have been renovated like the Lekki -Epe road.

But they singled out Lekki road for renovation and not the road in Alagbado or Ayobo

Dayokanu, surulere, ikoyi and other roads have also been renovated but are not being tolled.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by dayokanu(m): 10:56pm On Dec 19, 2011
ade_77:

Dayokanu, surulere, ikoyi and other roads have also been renovated but are not being tolled.

There is nowhere in the world where all roads are tolled. They can as well toll footpaths

These Surulere, Ikoyi roads, are the State govt owned or FG owned? were they renovated under PPP initiatives, Are they 4-5 lanes like the Lekki road too?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by jara: 11:53pm On Dec 19, 2011
Where in the whole wide world does a government install toll in a residential area that you have to pay toll to come out and get into your own house?

Only in Nigeria.

Where else are people forced to pay toll either in front of their houses or at the side roads?

Only in Nigeria.

Please where is Boko Haram when needed to Occupy Bourdillon Road in front of Asiwaju Ole
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by stunna2(m): 12:58am On Dec 20, 2011
everyone here seems to have some valid points for other to consider and hopefully leading to compromise!

i been hearing boastful residents of this Lekki place, talking about how good they have life and calling us who live overseas slaves and asking that we come down to see their Lavish life styles that we can not ever dream of where ever in the developed world we live and work as slaves, so, why all this cries now over toll cost of N200,000 or N300,000 a year??

okay, not everyone there is rich, agreed - so the cost should be reduced then! why 3 toll booths on the same highway? why did they not build a new private highway and toll that? are the funds for the road really private or just laundered stolen 'the people's money'??

can someone volunteer to tell us, how much taxes they pay on their income in Nigeria, so that we can have an idea when u guys complain! how does the tax system works in nigeria? can we get the stats??

for example, over here, if you make like say half a million naira a month, you should expect to pay about N100,000 in straight payroll tax at the end of the month, then everything you buy, you have to pay another 15% on it in the form of goods and services tax and if you own a home you have to pay some hefty taxes monthly and ur car insurance for say an SUV will be on average N45,100 to N100,000 a month and you must have insurance and then you pay taxes on that insurance and the price of gas for an SUV is like N!0,000 every 3days and u must pay taxes on top of that and taxes on top or ur electricity bill and taxes n taxes and taxes, so that we have a saying here in the developed world that only two things r for sure in this life: taxes and death! life is a bi t c h and then u die!!

but in return for all this taxes, we have it real good and a new baby will cost about N4million to deliver here and it's free because of our taxes and the roads are free and if it is tolled then it has to be a super highway and there are many other options to that road! but if u toll a major highway with no viable alternatives, there will be lawsuits and then wait for the electorates to punish u real soon at the voting booths!

so pls break down how life is so we can have a better idea and then know what to say,

anyways, yall need to start a new occupy but maybe not Lekki, y'all feel me,

the system itself is rotten n thats what needs to be protested, not some isolated issue! if you have two SUVs in one family, be it a small KIA Sorento or a Cadillac Escalade, the brand is not relevant, dont come here and cry over N300,000 in toll money in a whole year!

get rid of the second wife or fourth girlfriend or dont build a third house and maybe you need to move closer to work! when you boast about ur life style and people say a word, y'all cry - bad belle, now everyone is crying over small change??

can a journalist investigate who these private investors r that built the road and see if they r connected to any known dirty politicians??
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by RuuDie(m): 5:09am On Dec 20, 2011
The crux of the entire matter is. . . . . . .where will the bulk of the money collected end up eventually!?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by RuuDie(m): 5:14am On Dec 20, 2011
otokx:

In a year, many people don't even go to the airport once - here its an issue of a road an individual can potentially ply twice or thrice in a day!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by dustydee: 7:47am On Dec 20, 2011
otokx:

I bet you most people don't pass through airport toll everyday twice a day. This is largely a residential area. Imagine having to pay toll 6 times a day 5 days a week. cry
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ENZOSCIFO1: 8:14am On Dec 20, 2011
For days I have read from different topics relating to this toll issue @ the Lekki axis and nobody has been able to fully explain why a fully residentiial area is being tolled why other residential area of the state is not tolled like boudillon (has the best road in lagos for now).

I will help all with an explanation. Ever heard of the LFTZ i.e Lekki free trade zone? well tolling of the road leading there is just the first part of what is to happen. The fact is Tinubu and his cronies knows how much of traffic goes through the Apapa Wharf axis and the potential that has for money making. The idea is to promote the LFTZ in such away that docking of ships and other cargo carrying vessels will prefer the LFTZ to Apapa, by paying lesser charges and other duties and levies, this automatically makes the LFTZ not only rival Apapa port (controlled by FG) but to ultimately steal its business. And you have the emergence of another Apapa only this time around its LFTZ with enormous traffic for business purposes, now this smart dude just want to feed fat on the traffic they will generate in that axis, u need to spend a day on the oshodi _Apapa express way ( the Apapa/Berger end) to fully comprehend the kind of tarrif accruable from tolling of a road that is that busy.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by mbulela: 8:35am On Dec 20, 2011
GAR3TH:

I have to diagree with this statement because they do pay for school and medical services. the average UK citizen pays about 25% of their salaries towards taxes. some people, based on income and progression taxes, pay as much as 40 % of their income toward taxes. Nothing is free, they pay for everything you see through their tax system. Nigerian tax just cant compare.
guy your argument does not make much sense. I pay 25% of my salary as tax and i do not earn anything spectacular. i know over 5 persons on this site who pay almost 40% tax,all resident in Nigeria.
What do we get for the tax we pay?absolutlely nothing. i dare you to mention one thing i get from the tax i pay. i generate my own power, water, and security. I pay for health care and pay my kids school fees. If i live in Lekki, i will probably be providing my own roads. then the moment i step out of Lekki, the govt tolls the govt road leading out.
The way those outside the country go on about taxes, you would think working class Nigerians do not pay tax. We pay. The problem is that their is no product for the taxes we pay. that is the crux of the matter.
billions were spent rehabilitating Bourdillon. Why was it not tolled? why was it not built with PPP?
There is something fishy about this Lekki project. it just does not smell right.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ENZOSCIFO1: 8:45am On Dec 20, 2011
mbulela:

guy your argument does not make much sense. I pay 25% of my salary as tax and i do not earn anything spectacular. i know over 5 persons on this site who pay almost 40% tax,all resident in Nigeria.
What do we get for the tax we pay?absolutlely nothing. i dare you to mention one thing i get from the tax i pay. i generate my own power, water, and security. I pay for health care and pay my kids school fees. If i live in Lekki, i will probably be providing my own roads. then the moment i step out of Lekki, the govt tolls the govt road leading out.
The way those outside the country go on about taxes, you would think working class Nigerians do not pay tax. We pay. The problem is that their is no product for the taxes we pay. that is the crux of the matter.
billions were spent rehabilitating Bourdillon. Why was it not tolled? why was it not built with PPP?
There is something fishy about this Lekki project. it just does not smell right.

You have your answer in my earlier reply just above.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by sartorius(m): 10:21am On Dec 20, 2011
Based on calculations by LCC accorfing to their Ceo they estimate that three hundred cars wud pass per hour on just one toll. if all these money was going back to lagos state<.i wudnt be mad but its going to private individuals>> for now they shud reduce it, peeps posting are several miles away and dont even feel wats on ground. the traffic is annoying> it has o
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 10:34am On Dec 20, 2011
To everyone parroting that the Lekki road leads to a purely residential are, let it be known that the official name for that road for more than a decade is Lekki-Epe Expressway. It is a highway, a trunk B road that has now been reclassified as Trunk A. That road was never residential as it was built and is being maintained as a highway.

BTW, while the tolling was in place on the Sagamu-Benin expressway, why were there no protests on behalf of the poor villagers living along its path, or was that expressway built and all villages bordering it evacuated? Note that while it was in place, the poor villagers in Okada town had to pay toll to go see their relatives in Benin. The poor villagers in Obigbo also paid toll to go work daily while commuting to Port-Harcourt in Rivers State, were there protest then?

From the way I see it, this protests are more political/sentimental than anything else. People are being riled based on the perceived beneficiary or owner of the company while they do rough calculations of what the toll plazas would generate yearly. They however fail to calculate the costs in salaries, road repairs and infrastructure maintenance over the life of the concession.

Tolling is not new in Nigeria, and highways can be tolled anywhere else in the world. Nigeria isn’t an exception.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 10:38am On Dec 20, 2011
mbulela:

At the bolded part, someone has not be too turthful with you. The tax bracket in Nigeria is 5% - 25%, and in Lagos, the highest is 20%, in Delta 22% and Rivers is 25%. These are the highest tax brackets in the country.

Except of course those people are telling you about their PAYE + Property + Refuse tax +LG Tx+Service+ etc, which could be possible. But note that only PAYE cuts across everyone while the others are nased on what you own. Of course the more properties you own, the more you pay.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 10:42am On Dec 20, 2011
dustydee:

I bet you most people don't pass through airport toll everyday twice a day. This is largely a residential area. Imagine having to pay toll 6 times a day 5 days a week. cry

Many people that pass that toll plaza are not going to the airport, the toll gate is for the Airport - Ikeja bye-pass and not on the airport road itself. You can go from Oshodi to either Airports without paying toll. In fact you can go to all the three terminals in Lagos without paying any toll at the airport toll gate!

Most take it as an alternative and are willing to pay, rather than go through the Apapa Oshodi expressway. Those people staying in Ikeja and working along Apapa-Oshodi do pay that toll daily. But they are grateful as they avoid the Ikeja-Oshodi-Apapa route.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 10:49am On Dec 20, 2011
ade_77:

120 per trip
7200 per month
86,400 per year
Now multiply by 200,000cars
17,280,000,000.00 generated annually
For 30years to a privately owned coy for a road that
Costs 50billion. Haba

Good analysis! However, what is the cost of the wear and tear on that road as 200,000 vehicles use it daily? What is the cost of maintaining that road for the 30 years? How much would have been paid as Salaries in those 30 years?

You calculate revenue alone without calculating expenses? shocked shocked :oThat is the hallmark of a failed business as was being practiced by Nigeria prior to now, which is why our public enterprises were collapsing. It is time to open our eyes to realities, there are associated costs to development.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 10:51am On Dec 20, 2011
RuuDie:

The crux of the entire matter is. . . . . . .where will the bulk of the money collected end up eventually!?

And where was the bulk of the money to build the road sourced from?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by bukkytroni: 10:57am On Dec 20, 2011
Akainzo:

And where was the bulk of the money to build the road sourced from?

Excellent question? How will the Concessionaire refund the N50 billion facility with the interest collected from Zenith, UBA, Diamond, StanbicIBTC, Fidelity, AIIM and the foreign banks who brought their money here to invest?

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

"My Bloody Exploits In Sambisa" — Arrested Boko Haram Commander (Photo) / FFK And Wife, Precious Arrive Enugu For Igbo And Yoruba Summit / Akaeze Ebonyi Accident: Umahi Visits Scene, Commiserates With Deceased Families

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.